Retracted Door Handles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2023, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by FartNoccio
I would like to know how the ECU/car find it OK to make the door handle motor stop working and suddenly start working again.
I thought you were indicating that the handle had frozen in position. If so then the car may have detected this and will not continue to try to open the handle, doing so could burn out, damage, or break the motor. So at a later time the car will try again when the handle may not be frozen.
I don't know this as a fact but it seems logical.
The following users liked this post:
FartNoccio (01-25-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 06:02 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
EQS 580
I had the same issue. Initially, my driver's door would open, but with a load noise as part of the handle was catching on something. I used some WD40 in the handle mechanism and that solved the problem for quite a while. Then one day, the handle refused to open. I used the MB emergency procedure and then the handle was stuck in between fully shut and fully open. I set up an appointment with the dealer, but it was a month away. Two weeks later, it suddenly started working normally. After 2 weeks, I cancelled my repair appointment. It is now 3 weeks later and it still works normally. Go figure. If it stops working again, I will set up another appointment with the dealer.
Old 01-26-2023, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,120 Likes on 732 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
My sticky handle issue returned on another door. Again, three squirts of WD 40 lubricant solved it completely. The original door that had the issue has been perfect since it got "the fix" many months ago.
Old 01-26-2023, 10:28 AM

Received 261 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
Good that it worked.

Ever since I read somewhere about WD40 leaving a sometimes troubling residue, I've tended to use a liquid graphite in a small spray can. Beautiful. How it compares chemically, I don't know.
To the proposition, "WD40 vs graphite," here's one source's comment: Although WD-40 is magic stuff, it is not the best choice to lubricate automotive door locks and linkages. Although it does a good job of cleaning and temporary lubricating, it goes away, so it makes a good first step. Graphite has long been a popular lube choice, but we like to use bike chain lube.
In the same vein, "Chain lube vs WE-40: Another response is: In summary, WD-40 is great for cleaning and de-greasing your chain, but it doesn't work well as a lubricant. It will provide some small amount of lubrication but nowhere near enough for your bike chain to run smoothly.

Take it for what it's worth.
Old 01-26-2023, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Newbyloub
Good that it worked. Ever since I read somewhere about WD40 leaving a sometimes troubling residue, I've tended to use a liquid graphite in a small spray can. Beautiful. How it compares chemically, I don't know.To the proposition, "WD40 vs graphite," here's one source's comment: Although WD-40 is magic stuff, it is not the best choice to lubricate automotive door locks and linkages. Although it does a good job of cleaning and temporary lubricating, it goes away, so it makes a good first step. Graphite has long been a popular lube choice, but we like to use bike chain lube.In the same vein, "Chain lube vs WE-40: Another response is: In summary, WD-40 is great for cleaning and de-greasing your chain, but it doesn't work well as a lubricant. It will provide some small amount of lubrication but nowhere near enough for your bike chain to run smoothly. Take it for what it's worth.
Graphite should work too!
Old 01-26-2023, 10:50 AM

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Newbyloub
Good that it worked.

Ever since I read somewhere about WD40 leaving a sometimes troubling residue, I've tended to use a liquid graphite in a small spray can. Beautiful. How it compares chemically, I don't know.
To the proposition, "WD40 vs graphite," here's one source's comment: Although WD-40 is magic stuff, it is not the best choice to lubricate automotive door locks and linkages. Although it does a good job of cleaning and temporary lubricating, it goes away, so it makes a good first step. Graphite has long been a popular lube choice, but we like to use bike chain lube.
In the same vein, "Chain lube vs WE-40: Another response is: In summary, WD-40 is great for cleaning and de-greasing your chain, but it doesn't work well as a lubricant. It will provide some small amount of lubrication but nowhere near enough for your bike chain to run smoothly.

Take it for what it's worth.
I have seen "WD40 with Lithium grease". This seems to add the desired lubricant in a solvent that evaporates. Any experience or thoughts?
Old 01-26-2023, 11:23 AM

Received 261 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
Probably worth looking into. It never appeared in the Goggling I did.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:37 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
2023 EQS 580 4Matic SUV
How do you keep the door handles from going in and out while you are waiting inside your car to charge? I try locking the doors but it still retracts.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by perlfather
I have seen "WD40 with Lithium grease". This seems to add the desired lubricant in a solvent that evaporates. Any experience or thoughts?
Worked for me, there is also a version with silicone. A few squirts on from above and below into the door wipe any spillover and done. Works 100%, and, again, the door I did many months ago has been fine since. I theorize that they simply didn't get appropriately lubed from factory. Another plus WD, is very hydrophobic. It might also help avoid the ice issue. Though I live in mid Wisconsin I haven't had any issue with ice yet. And, no, the handles are not heated.