EQS 580 - the 'S' is for scam

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,453 Likes on 959 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by BeanTrader
I also have been using high quality car wash places for many years. I have had zero problems with scratches, etc. with one exception but that was not a quality car wash place. It was a BP gas station in OH (when I was visiting my daughter and her family) which also had a car wash. That damn place put all kinds of scratches on my 2008 LS460 that I owned at that time. I have never been to a gas station car wash since then. Where I live we have several wonderful car wash places with the very best being a place called Foam Car Wash, locally owned. Outside, they have very soft microfiber cloths to dry out the water spots that remain and powerful vacuum cleaners. I have seen no scratches, etc. on my current 2019 S450 which I have owned for 3.5 years. If there are swirls, I can't see them so I don't care. I'm too lazy to wash the car myself. It just takes too much time. But, I need to research the ceramic coating option and determine if I should do it. I will also ask the dealer what they recommend. When I service the car at the dealer, they obviously wash it and I doubt it's touchless.
IMO if you lease, I wouldn't spend the money on ceramic. If planning on ownership, then ceramic might be worth the look.
Old 03-22-2022, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 208 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by places
IMO if you lease, I wouldn't spend the money on ceramic. If planning on ownership, then ceramic might be worth the look.
I'm going to do a one payment 3 year lease.
Old 03-23-2022, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm going to do a one payment 3 year lease.
Are you able to fully write that off in year one (assuming you're putting it through the business)?
Old 03-23-2022, 01:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 208 Posts
2022 EQS580
Are you able to fully write that off in year one (assuming you're putting it through the business)?
I’m retired. I just despise monthly payments. Even though it’s a one payment lease, I can turn it in after one year as long as I get another Mercedes. For example, if I cannot get lever 3 self driving on the EQS 580 I’ll be getting, I can turn it in if I wish when it’s available for the 2023 EQS. Btw, the residual for my S450 was about $56K when the one payment 3 year lease expired back in late September. I decided to pay the residual and buy it. The car is now worth about $70K. I was going to sell it but instead my wife and I are gifting the car (only 30,000 miles) to our daughter and son-in-law. I can thank my Apple shares for being able to afford to do this.

Last edited by AppleFan1; 03-23-2022 at 01:49 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by AppleFan1:
BenjaminKohl (03-25-2022), BenzNika (05-18-2023), places (03-23-2022), stewartmmorris (03-27-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I’m retired. I just despise monthly payments. Even though it’s a one payment lease, I can turn it in after one year as long as I get another Mercedes. For example, if I cannot get lever 3 self driving on the EQS 580 I’ll be getting, I can turn it in if I wish when it’s available for the 2023 EQS. Btw, the residual for my S450 was about $56K when the one payment 3 year lease expired back in late September. I decided to pay the residual and buy it. The car is now worth about $70K. I was going to sell it but instead my wife and I are gifting the car (only 30,000 miles) to our daughter and son-in-law. I can thank my Apple shares for being able to afford to do this.
Good move. My residual on the 450 is about 59K if I remember correctly and up in about 10 months or so. If the car market remains in its current state, I will probably buy mine out as well.
Old 03-23-2022, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,669 Likes on 1,711 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
I also have been using high quality car wash places for many years. I have had zero problems with scratches, etc. with one exception but that was not a quality car wash place. It was a BP gas station in OH (when I was visiting my daughter and her family) which also had a car wash. That damn place put all kinds of scratches on my 2008 LS460 that I owned at that time. I have never been to a gas station car wash since then. Where I live we have several wonderful car wash places with the very best being a place called Foam Car Wash, locally owned. Outside, they have very soft microfiber cloths to dry out the water spots that remain and powerful vacuum cleaners. I have seen no scratches, etc. on my current 2019 S450 which I have owned for 3.5 years. If there are swirls, I can't see them so I don't care. I'm too lazy to wash the car myself. It just takes too much time. But, I need to research the ceramic coating option and determine if I should do it. I will also ask the dealer what they recommend. When I service the car at the dealer, they obviously wash it and I doubt it's touchless.
Yeah never use those gas station carwashes!
Old 03-23-2022, 07:25 PM

Received 443 Likes on 277 Posts
EQS 450+
[QUOTE=places;8533432
As for the level of the EQS, I have to concur. I too sat in an EQS and can confidently say that there is a difference in quality, fit, and finish between it and an S class. Closer to an E is about right.[/QUOTE]
I love internet purists. (NOT!) Those all knowing experts who exude experitse, without any credentials.. I had a Porsche Cayman, which, according to the purists, was not a "real Porsche". Could have fooled me! I had an M4, which was actually an F83 convertible hardtop.....therefore, according the the purists, not a real M4, since no M4 has a convertible top. What a raw monster is was! I had an M550, which was clearly, according to the purists, not a "real M car". ( I wonder how many of them have ever driven an M550 on the track at COTA?) Now I have an EQS, which, according to the purists, is "Not a real S Class". I've owned 2 E class Mercs....give me a break! I wonder why the purists don't believe the manufacturers who make the cars they so fervently are enamoured with, to classify them the way they see them as they are concieved on the design and assembly line? Get over yourselves!!!! This is a fabulous car.
The following 3 users liked this post by hlothery:
AppleFan1 (03-23-2022), BenjaminKohl (03-25-2022), HAILERS2 (09-19-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by hlothery
I love internet purists. (NOT!) Those all knowing experts who exude experitse, without any credentials.. I had a Porsche Cayman, which, according to the purists, was not a "real Porsche". Could have fooled me! I had an M4, which was actually an F83 convertible hardtop.....therefore, according the the purists, not a real M4, since no M4 has a convertible top. What a raw monster is was! I had an M550, which was clearly, according to the purists, not a "real M car". ( I wonder how many of them have ever driven an M550 on the track at COTA?) Now I have an EQS, which, according to the purists, is "Not a real S Class". I've owned 2 E class Mercs....give me a break! I wonder why the purists don't believe the manufacturers who make the cars they so fervently are enamoured with, to classify them the way they see them as they are concieved on the design and assembly line? Get over yourselves!!!! This is a fabulous car.
You are misunderstanding what we are saying. I was defending the EQS to the OP's criticisms that he was somehow duped because his EQS is missing equipment and finishes his S Class has.

"The S Class" is a model within Mercedes. Nobody is saying that the EQS is not a "real Mercedes", its just depsite having "S" in the name...it is NOT the S Class. Like the GLS, it has "S" in the name to denote its the best SUV, but it is not the S Class. Neither one are truly a peer to the S Class in finish, equipment, features and options etc.

The EQS is clearly not built to the same standard as the S Class, all you have to do is sit in one and you see that. The materials and finishes are more similar to what you find in the E Class (hard plastics on the rear console, vinyl material choices, leather grades, hard vinyl sunvisors to name a few), and the way the standard equipment and optional equipment are laid out is more E Class than S class. I can give you a list of items that brought me to that conclusion if you would like. This is not unique to Mercedes, for instance an X7 is not "a 7 Series", and in fact there are numerous ways where the 7 Series is superior in finish, materials, standard and optional equipment, etc.

Buyers should not expect the EQS is going to be finished same as the S Class, its not nor is it supposed to be.

Last edited by SW20S; 03-23-2022 at 07:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MBNUT1 (03-26-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 R129 SL 500
Sure looks like you picked the wrong dealership. Not saying any car fresh out of the box is perfect, but my EQS580 does easily stack up with my S580 in regards of b build quality, technology and comfort. Everybody knew about the problems with the supply chain and before you bought the car , you should have checked what was missing on this individual car. People know that some came without the Hyper screen or the Air purifier stuff. Even the massaging seat were at one point not available. The paint drips? I guess you can make a point. But the rest is a bit bad luck and a bit on you.
Old 03-24-2022, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hlothery
I can't speak to your Porsche or BMW dilemmas - clearly you were traumatized - but I can say with certainty EQS is not an S, it's a luxury EV, perhaps the most luxurious of its kind. MB tried to hail the GLS as the S of SUV's and that didn't take.The S is a legendary and stand alone model that has become the pinnacle of automotive luxury and status after decades of world recognition. Year one of the EQS and all of a sudden its an S? LOL!! No one is questioning your EQS's fabulousness, just that it's not an S. It's called and EQS for a reason. Now if Mercedes comes out with an S that is full EV, that will be an S. Don't be delusional, the two aren't even close.
The following 2 users liked this post by places:
MBNUT1 (03-26-2022), Tjdehya (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 726 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
I can't speak to your Porsche or BMW dilemmas - clearly you were traumatized - but I can say with certainty EQS is not an S, it's a luxury EV, perhaps the most luxurious of its kind. MB tried to hail the GLS as the S of SUV's and that didn't take.The S is a legendary and stand alone model that has become the pinnacle of automotive luxury and status after decades of world recognition. Year one of the EQS and all of a sudden its an S? LOL!! No one is questioning your EQS's fabulousness, just that it's not an S. It's called and EQS for a reason. Now if Mercedes comes out with an S that is full EV, that will be an S. Don't be delusional, the two aren't even close.
I don't know about you, but my GLS 580 with E active suspension rides and handles better than an S class. Not only that, it can hop and go off road. Maybe the leather isn't as supple, but it's as good as an S class in all other respects. It's also faster than an S500.
Old 03-24-2022, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by c4004matic
I don't know about you, but my GLS 580 with E active suspension rides and handles better than an S class. Not only that, it can hop and go off road. Maybe the leather isn't as supple, but it's as good as an S class in all other respects. It's also faster than an S500.
Who cares. People that buy the S don't buy it because of it's handling or off road abilities, if we want a GLS we'd buy a GLS. S is the pinnacle of automotive luxury and standard bearer for decades. It's an experience. Can't say that about the GLS. Go hop along now.
The following 2 users liked this post by places:
MBNUT1 (03-26-2022), Tjdehya (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
I don't know about you, but my GLS 580 with E active suspension rides and handles better than an S class.
I've driven it, it does not lol.

The GLS is really sloppy compared to the S Class, and the ride had jiggles and nervousness the S Class doesn't have. The EABC helps that, but compared to an S Class with MBC/EABC there is no comparison. You can't beat physics.

The ONLY SUV I have driven that I feel really is a peer to the S Class is a full Range Rover. If I were going to do an SUV to really replace my S Class thats what I would get.

Last edited by SW20S; 03-24-2022 at 03:38 PM.
MBNUT1 (03-26-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 04:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,477 Likes on 2,110 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by SW20S
I've driven it, it does not lol.

The GLS is really sloppy compared to the S Class, and the ride had jiggles and nervousness the S Class doesn't have. The EABC helps that, but compared to an S Class with MBC/EABC there is no comparison. You can't beat physics.

The ONLY SUV I have driven that I feel really is a peer to the S Class is a full Range Rover. If I were going to do an SUV to really replace my S Class thats what I would get.
I recalled RR being mentioned in this thread, interesting discussion: https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...e-s-class.html
Old 03-24-2022, 04:37 PM

Received 443 Likes on 277 Posts
EQS 450+
I'm neither traumatized nor delusional. One thing is for sure, though, internet purists ALWAYS double down when questioned. Their narroiw focus means they are not so good, however, with recognizing and accepting new paradigms. One other thing is for sure.....I'm done with this thread! Ya'll have a nice day.
Old 03-24-2022, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Allrighty then lol
Old 03-24-2022, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Who cares. People that buy the S don't buy it because of it's handling or off road abilities, if we want a GLS we'd buy a GLS. S is the pinnacle of automotive luxury and standard bearer for decades. It's an experience. Can't say that about the GLS. Go hop along now.
I've driven it, it does not lol. The GLS is really sloppy compared to the S Class, and the ride had jiggles and nervousness the S Class doesn't have. The EABC helps that, but compared to an S Class with MBC/EABC there is no comparison. You can't beat physics. The ONLY SUV I have driven that I feel really is a peer to the S Class is a full Range Rover. If I were going to do an SUV to really replace my S Class thats what I would get.
In fact it does and Ihave driven both too​​​​​​​.
Old 03-24-2022, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
In fact it does and Ihave driven both too​​​​​​​.
Everyone who has reviewed one also disagrees.
Old 03-24-2022, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
In fact it does and Ihave driven both too.
Everyone who has reviewed one also disagrees.
https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx1f_1wj1..._ziafEwHG-H6_f

Here you guys go. lol
Old 03-24-2022, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Yep, I agree with everything they said in the review.

The GLS is on the short list of vehicles to replace our Chrysler Pacifica next year and I have driven a bunch of them as well as the X7, Escalade is too big for us. Its a really nice vehicle, but its nothing like the S Class. The X7 is a much better vehicle, but the GLS is much larger inside.
Old 03-24-2022, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx1f_1wj1iZC0h3GThfs_ziafEwHG-H6_f Here you guys go. lol
obviously you havent driven either.
Old 03-24-2022, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
obviously you havent driven either.
Did you watch the video?

When you are accustomed to driving an S Class and you drive a GLS, the difference is immediately apparent. If you watch the video they describe the same thing.
Old 03-26-2022, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 986 Likes on 722 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Area's where I suspect the EQS is superior the the S-Class is in handling and driving refinement due to it's low CG and electric motor.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 03-26-2022 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-27-2022, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 783 Likes on 503 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Area's where I suspect the EQS is superior the the S-Class is in handling and driving refinement due to it's low CG and electric motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXrQsyC-kQg
Yes I think the same. To be honest I am the kind of person who wouldn’t normally by an S Class because I enjoy driving. I’ve rented S Classes before in Germany and didn’t enjoy them. I like cars like the Panamera and the BMW M5 or E63. But the EQS was pretty compelling to me because it combines sporty handling in sports mode with a comfortable ride for broken city streets in comfort mode. Also an electric power train will always eclipse an ice in refinement and smoothness.

The EQS has another plus which is the Hyperscreen with the Zero-layer MBUX interface. It is a huge improvement over the version on the tablet screen because almost everything is single touch and the icons are so large. Touch screens are usually a driving distraction, and the Hyperscreen reduces this relative to the standard MBUX in the W223.

The standard S Class has more refinement in finishes. Nicer leather options like the Red, and Saddle Brown. Better audio system, Electric side window shades, etc. it would be nice if the EQS had these things.

But overall I love my EQS and I would never buy an ICE S-Class.

MBNUT1 (03-27-2022)
Old 03-27-2022, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Yes I think the same. To be honest I am the kind of person who wouldn’t normally by an S Class because I enjoy driving. I’ve rented S Classes before in Germany and didn’t enjoy them. I like cars like the Panamera and the BMW M5 or E63. But the EQS was pretty compelling to me because it combines sporty handling in sports mode with a comfortable ride for broken city streets in comfort mode. Also an electric power train will always eclipse an ice in refinement and smoothness.

The EQS has another plus which is the Hyperscreen with the Zero-layer MBUX interface. It is a huge improvement over the version on the tablet screen because almost everything is single touch and the icons are so large. Touch screens are usually a driving distraction, and the Hyperscreen reduces this relative to the standard MBUX in the W223.

The standard S Class has more refinement in finishes. Nicer leather options like the Red, and Saddle Brown. Better audio system, Electric side window shades, etc. it would be nice if the EQS had these things.

But overall I love my EQS and I would never buy an ICE S-Class.
I thought the EQS and the W223 main screens are pretty much the same, one just being portrait, the other landscape view? Don't think the rest of the hyperscreen helps a lot the driver.

Zero layer comes with the current W223 too (first ones being upgraded).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: EQS 580 - the 'S' is for scam