EQS EQS (V297) sedan

HUD vs AR HUD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 10:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
EQS450
HUD vs AR HUD

Hi Everyone. I'm new to this forum. I finally received an allocation for a 580 with exclusive trim package. However, my dealer called me yesterday and said that the system had kicked out the AR HUD (445) option that I ordered and would only accept the order if I was willing to accept the standard HUD (444). Has anyone seen both HUDs? Is there a big difference other than the blue arrows on the roads showing turns? If I really want the AR HUD, my dealer said that I would have to give up my allocation and wait until the AR HUD was accepted by the system. The dealer is only getting 2 to 3 EQS580 allocations per quarter so it could be a year to get another allocation if I loose this allocation slot at the dealer. (currently 35 customers on list). Any recommendations/opinions would be appreciated.
Old 03-25-2022, 06:13 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
EQS 450+
I have the standard HUD and have not seen the AR version but I'm guessing that it is going to be similar to what I see on my center screen which I think would be a little TMI for the HUD. It works well on the center screen and I am happy with the standard HUD.I think the difference is inclusion of the image from the forward (dashcam) camera rather than the blue arrows. One note....the HUD almost completely disappears when wearing polarized sunglasses, the center screen does not.
Old 03-25-2022, 06:22 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
EQS 580
Interesting - I got my allocation about a month ago, and was told only the toll payment system was removed. I’ve ordered the AR HUD also.
Old 03-25-2022, 07:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 296 Likes on 248 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by Old Dawg
I have the standard HUD and have not seen the AR version but I'm guessing that it is going to be similar to what I see on my center screen which I think would be a little TMI for the HUD. It works well on the center screen and I am happy with the standard HUD.I think the difference is inclusion of the image from the forward (dashcam) camera rather than the blue arrows. One note....the HUD almost completely disappears when wearing polarized sunglasses, the center screen does not.
The augmented reality camera view on the navigation screen is completely different from the augmented reality HUD contents. I don't know the two well enough to give a proper list of differences but the user manual could give sufficient info?
Old 03-25-2022, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,118 Likes on 732 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
The AR HUD like the 4D stereo are expensive totally unnecessary "upgrades". The "regular" Burmester is one of the best car radios you can get. Paying 4000 bucks for more surround modes is quite frankly moronic. It makes for a much more complicated radio of marginally, if any, fidelity improvement. The VR hud is another useless party trick. Its additional visual overload on the HUD. The standard HUD on the EQS is the same as in the GLS. Its huge clear and bright. I turn off half the info leaving only speed and navigation directions. I have VR on the GLS the difference is that the arrows are on the main screenI hate it: 25% of the time the arrows are "late" or you dont know which of the 2 side by side roads it means. Utter waste of a good 2k.
Old 03-25-2022, 05:55 PM

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
2022 EQS 580, 2020 Tesla Model X LR
I have the AR HUD in my 580 and I’m honestly a little disappointed. The blue arrows don’t really make it any easier to navigate at all IMO. I wouldn’t sweat it.

One thing I do wish I had are the executive seats in the rear. My wife complained that the backrests are too upright and with no way to adjust them my plan of using the EQS for road-trips looks like a non-starter (she sits in the back with the kid)
Old 03-25-2022, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by StormingHabs
I have the AR HUD in my 580 and I’m honestly a little disappointed. The blue arrows don’t really make it any easier to navigate at all IMO. I wouldn’t sweat it. One thing I do wish I had are the executive seats in the rear. My wife complained that the backrests are too upright and with no way to adjust them my plan of using the EQS for road-trips looks like a non-starter (she sits in the back with the kid)
Agree with all your points. However, the only people that will ride in the rear of my car are the kids.
Old 03-25-2022, 10:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
EQS450
I can't thank everyone enough for your honest and helpful replies. Based on the information everyone provided, I have decided to keep my allocation and just get the standard HUD. Plus I'll save $1k.
So now I just need to figure out if they don't deliver the car until Nov/Dec timeframe, will it be a 2022 or 2023?
Old 03-26-2022, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 513 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by StormingHabs
I have the AR HUD in my 580 and I’m honestly a little disappointed. The blue arrows don’t really make it any easier to navigate at all IMO. I wouldn’t sweat it.

One thing I do wish I had are the executive seats in the rear. My wife complained that the backrests are too upright and with no way to adjust them my plan of using the EQS for road-trips looks like a non-starter (she sits in the back with the kid)
One issue with the pinnacle package though is that it also includes rear side airbags (in the door below the curtain airbag) as well as an Inflatable belt bag. This can cause issues with child seats and could be potentially hazardous. This is why I ordered the Exclusive package on my build this summer.
Old 03-26-2022, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
One issue with the pinnacle package though is that it also includes rear side airbags (in the door below the curtain airbag) as well as an Inflatable belt bag. This can cause issues with child seats and could be potentially hazardous. This is why I ordered the Exclusive package on my build this summer.
Is this even close to the truth? Would Mercedes put a car on the streets with advanced tech that could endanger children?
Please share any info on this, I would like to keep my kids safe if this is true… if it is not then please don’t post misinformation like this.
Old 03-26-2022, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Dont count me as an expert, but as far as I can tell most if not all car seats are compatible with rear bags.