What Would You Do

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2023 EQS 580 SUV 4matic
What Would You Do

Hello EQS Forum Members,

Long-time forum reader and EQS enthusiast. I wanted to get your opinion on what I should do about my EQS situation.

I dropped my EQS off for a service bulletin update and while it was in the service department, on its final test drive, the technician forgot to ensure that the front hood was latched and the hood flew back, shattered the windshield, and was damaged as a result.

The service advisor called me and told me what happened and I was lost for words, to say the least. They planned to replace the windshield, and the hood and make any necessary repairs to restore the car to its original condition. They have given me a loaner car for the time being but have not mentioned how long it will take to repair my vehicle. They also sent photos as well

Looking at the long-term and the short-term consequences of this incident leaves me puzzled about my next steps. They have accepted full responsibility for the incident, so that’s not the concern. I just don’t know what to do now that this vehicle will have this incident in its history report.

So I’m asking for some advice; what would you do if this was your EQS Situation.

All The Best,
Old 05-05-2022, 03:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
EQS 450+
Originally Posted by NRS+EVAK
Hello EQS Forum Members,

Long-time forum reader and EQS enthusiast. I wanted to get your opinion on what I should do about my EQS situation.

I dropped my EQS off for a service bulletin update and while it was in the service department, on its final test drive, the technician forgot to ensure that the front hood was latched and the hood flew back, shattered the windshield, and was damaged as a result.

The service advisor called me and told me what happened and I was lost for words, to say the least. They planned to replace the windshield, and the hood and make any necessary repairs to restore the car to its original condition. They have given me a loaner car for the time being but have not mentioned how long it will take to repair my vehicle. They also sent photos as well

Looking at the long-term and the short-term consequences of this incident leaves me puzzled about my next steps. They have accepted full responsibility for the incident, so that’s not the concern. I just don’t know what to do now that this vehicle will have this incident in its history report.

So I’m asking for some advice; what would you do if this was your EQS Situation.

All The Best,
I think it is a bad situation but sounds like the dealer owned up to the mistake and will fix it to make it as good as it was when it was brought in. Accidents happen, unfortunately, but I think the dealer being transparent and forthcoming and showing you pictures of the car instead of trying to cover it up shows that they are reputable and honest.

Maybe see if you can get some accessories or tinting etc thrown in for your trouble (having to be without your EQS for the amount of time it takes to repair it)?
Old 05-05-2022, 03:54 PM

Received 193 Likes on 133 Posts
2024 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
So first thing first, make sure they do not file an insurance claim under your insurance. They may try to do this which would ultimately hurt your "record". When it comes to Mercedes dealerships fixing stuff like that, there is a possibility that it may not be recorded on the car's carfax. When I flooded my prior E300, I had to file an insurance claim and the dealership fixed it. The only thing noted in the carfax was "vehicle serviced" and it did not mention anything about replacing the engine, wiring, and starter motor. That could potentially be the outcome of your situation depending on how the dealership handles it.

Looking at long term, who knows. The EQS is a completely new model for Mercedes Benz and it is their 2nd or 3rd electric car they have produced (B class, GLC, and there was some other SUV they made already but pulled it from the States). There is no saying how reliable it will be in the future due to those factors. If I was in your situation, I would let Mercedes pay to fix everything and the loaner vehicle and then just drive it because the part shortages are real. My parents have an S580 on order right now and I just got word that the car will come with "standard leather" instead of napa leather. If it looks like the car is going downhill, then look to dump it and get another one/something different.
Old 05-05-2022, 06:07 PM

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts
2022 EQS 450
Your car will have "diminished value" at trade in or sale. Any insurance company will negotiate that issue when serious damage has occurred.

Replacing the windshield on cars with "autopilot" or similar is another issue. You may not ever have the same calibration that was set at the factory. The local technicians rarely get it right and consequently your car may wander instead of staying between the lines of the highway. I know of several instances of this personally. One car was bought back by the dealer at full price.
My feeling is let them take the car back and order a new one.
Caveat emptor
Old 05-05-2022, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 216 Posts
2022 EQS580
Hello EQS Forum Members,

All The Best,
Incredibly enough, the same thing almost happened to me after I picked up the car late Tuesday. In the early evening, I was giving a ride to a friend on my EQS 580. Going up an entrance ramp and gunned the accelerator to show him how this car accelerates. Immediately after that wicked fast acceleration, the hood shows as red on the driver display. It would not go away no matter how slow I was going. That evening the General Manager drove to my house to bring me the Owner's Manual since they forgot to put it in the glove box. While he was here, I showed him the red hood on the display as soon as it started to move. Luckily, he knew how to unlock the hood and checked inside it. He then latched to hood but he noticed to the right front of the hood was not properly latched. He opened it up again and this time he slammed it down. This time the red hood disappeared on the display and everything was fine. Amazing!
Old 05-05-2022, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 216 Posts
2022 EQS580
Hello EQS Forum Members,

All The Best,
Incredibly enough, the same thing almost happened to me after I picked up the car late Tuesday. In the early evening, I was giving a ride to a friend on my EQS 580. Going up an entrance ramp I gunned the accelerator to show him how this car accelerates. Immediately after that wicked fast acceleration, the hood shows as red on the driver display. It would not go away no matter how slow I was going. That evening the General Manager drove to my house to bring me the Owner's Manual since they forgot to put it in the glove box. While he was here, I showed him the red hood on the display as soon as it started to move. Luckily, he knew how to unlock the hood and checked inside it. He then latched to hood but he noticed to the right front of the hood was not properly latched. He opened it up again and this time he slammed it down. This time the red hood disappeared on the display and everything was fine. Amazing!
Old 05-05-2022, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,122 Likes on 734 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Hello EQS Forum Members,

All The Best,
Their offer is all they are required to do and IMO the right thing to do. If my expirience is correct it will be good as new. No sweat. I would have them provide me with a loaner as long as the repairs take.
Old 05-05-2022, 09:12 PM

Received 469 Likes on 295 Posts
2022 EQS 450+
Originally Posted by c4004matic
Their offer is all they are required to do and IMO the right thing to do. If my expirience is correct it will be good as new. No sweat. I would have them provide me with a loaner as long as the repairs take.
Agree. Windshields get smashed all the time, and are replaced all the time. It is hard for me to believe that a qualified dealer cannot recalibrate the systems after replacement. I wouldn't abandon a car after a minor auto accident, and that is what this was, although it is frustrating on a brand new car. They will fix it, and you will have years of enjoyment and eventually forget it ever happened.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 853 Likes on 547 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
I would want to see the photos to determine the extend of the damage. Is it just hood and glass, or is it also the frame around the windshield? If the frame around the windshield is damaged then this is a significant repair.

Regardless of that, I would also want compensation for diminished value. Replacing a VIN body part does affect the resale value of the car. Even in the current inflated market, the value of a car with an accident history is less than one without. I don't know the impact on resale but I would guess it is about $20k. A Diminished Value consultant can estimate that for you.

An example of a diminished value consultant is this company. When I have been the victim of something like this, I normally talk to 2 or 3 and hire the one with the highest estimate.
https://www.collisionclaims.com/cali...inished-value/
Old 05-05-2022, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 853 Likes on 547 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by hlothery
Agree. Windshields get smashed all the time, and are replaced all the time. It is hard for me to believe that a qualified dealer cannot recalibrate the systems after replacement. I wouldn't abandon a car after a minor auto accident, and that is what this was, although it is frustrating on a brand new car. They will fix it, and you will have years of enjoyment and eventually forget it ever happened.
But it isn't just a windshield. If it was I agree. But it is also a VIN-stamped body panel replacement which means you have to make a diminished value claim to stay whole.
Old 05-06-2022, 06:36 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
2004 W240 Maybach 57
...the technician forgot to ensure that the front hood was latched and the hood flew back, shattered the windshield, and was damaged as a result.
From some of the other posts on this thread, it appears the EQS hood can be difficult to fully secure closed. Depending on the extent of the damage to the hood, I'm wondering how long you might have to wait for a replacement? Was the "sheet metal" dented/bent, or just paint damaged? What is the hood made of, anyway, aluminum? And then you have to worry about paint matching, etc. Body work like this will show up in a thorough PPI when you want to sell via paint thickness analysis. If it's a lease, won't M-B financial just take it back anyway? Still, my biggest concern would be how long until the car gets returned to you.
Old 05-06-2022, 07:20 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,421 Likes on 2,859 Posts
2012 CLS63
OP, that fawking sux. I can't stand it when someone says "Oh, accidents happen". Yeah.....by incompetence.

Obviously get it fixed on them, get a free loaner and make sure it won't affect you negatively (financially) in the future.....get it in writing. Is it a lease or did you buy it?
If it's a lease, well, that's on them.....but if you bought it insist on some boutique credit or some other sort of compensation for the pain in the *** and to try and teach them a lesson.
It's absurd to me that dealers do stuff like this, they're supposed to be professionals! They charge top dollar and nickel and dime customers and then ****e like this happens. Can you share any pictures?
Good luck to you.
Old 05-07-2022, 04:01 PM

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
W211
Wow! Sorry to hear about your 580. I would hate to be in your spot. I’m also learning a lot from the forum and ask for honest feedback on issues. But an issues like yours is hard. Bottom line is what makes you happy and what is acceptable to you without future regrets. It’s hard to drive a car like this with so many safety warning indicator's. There is no way a dealer can protect you from the devaluation of your car unless they do fraud against someone ether you or the future buyer. If you leave in Texas their is a form that you file against their insurance for loss of fair market value. Dealers use this form every time one of their loaners is in a accident and get more money for their car. But get the facts before you make a call. Now you can trade the car with dealer and have it replace with an identical one and move on.
Old 05-08-2022, 02:10 PM

Received 469 Likes on 295 Posts
2022 EQS 450+
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
But it isn't just a windshield. If it was I agree. But it is also a VIN-stamped body panel replacement which means you have to make a diminished value claim to stay whole.
You're right, of course. Just saying that the car can be repaired to be as good as new. Never did a diminished value request, but thanks for the link.