Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2022, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,122 Likes on 734 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Old dog learning new tricks

Im starting to get one pedal driving.......🤔
The following 2 users liked this post by c4004matic:
hlothery (06-06-2022), StormingHabs (06-07-2022)
Old 06-05-2022, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 216 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by c4004matic
Can you expound a bit on that statement? I'm eager to learn the tricks of one pedal driving.
Old 06-05-2022, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 853 Likes on 547 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
you’ve come a long way!
Old 06-05-2022, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Dont take your foot off the accelerator If you take your foot off it gets jerky. Simply modulate the "gas pedal" to decelerate progressively. Remember to turn off creep mode or the car will not stop completely. Once you get the hang of it you essentially dont have to use the brake under normal conditions. I still think it takes to much attention for highway driving but its good for city driving. Intelligent mode is stiil my favorite, regen when you need it no regen when you don't.
Old 06-23-2022, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Dont take your foot off the accelerator If you take your foot off it gets jerky. Simply modulate the "gas pedal" to decelerate progressively. Remember to turn off creep mode or the car will not stop completely. Once you get the hang of it you essentially dont have to use the brake under normal conditions. I still think it takes to much attention for highway driving but its good for city driving. Intelligent mode is stiil my favorite, regen when you need it no regen when you don't.
I've been trying to use this method for a couple weeks and I cannot say it's helpful. I must be doing something wrong. I set it to D Auto but I cannot figure out how the foot on the accelerator helps. I find that in order to stop, I have to apply the break frequently. Once I slow down enough by applying the break, the car will come to a stop if there is another vehicle stopped ahead. I also have the creep mode off. So, what am I doing wrong?
Old 06-23-2022, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by AppleFan1
I've been trying to use this method for a couple weeks and I cannot say it's helpful. I must be doing something wrong. I set it to D Auto but I cannot figure out how the foot on the accelerator helps. I find that in order to stop, I have to apply the break frequently. Once I slow down enough by applying the break, the car will come to a stop if there is another vehicle stopped ahead. I also have the creep mode off. So, what am I doing wrong?
It doesn't work on D auto since in auto in that setting regen varies. It only works on full regen (left paddle). Its no for everyone since its not how we are accostumed to drive naturally. It seems like you are using a golf cart since as soon as you partiallyvrelase the accelerator the car starts to slow down. If kind of feels like you are accelerating without releasing the parking brake. On the highway, for me, its kind of fatiguing but its actually handy in stop and go traffic. As time goes by, for general use, I am basicly using normal, it just feels like a regular brake system under all conditions.
The following users liked this post:
AppleFan1 (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
It doesn't work on D auto since in auto in that setting regen varies. It only works on full regen (left paddle). Its no for everyone since its not how we are accostumed to drive naturally. It seems like you are using a golf cart since as soon as you partiallyvrelase the accelerator the car starts to slow down. If kind of feels like you are accelerating without releasing the parking brake. On the highway, for me, its kind of fatiguing but its actually handy in stop and go traffic. As time goes by, for general use, I am basicly using normal, it just feels like a regular brake system under all conditions.
Thanks so much. That explains it. I was trying to use this feature while on D Auto. No wonder. I’ll try this one pedal driving tomorrow.
Old 06-23-2022, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Thanks so much. That explains it. I was trying to use this feature while on D Auto. No wonder. I’ll try this one pedal driving tomorrow.
Don't forget to turn off creep mode if not the car will not come to a complete stop.
Old 06-23-2022, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Don't forget to turn off creep mode if not the car will not come to a complete stop.
Yes, that part I know.
Old 06-23-2022, 07:47 PM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
EQS 450+
Once you get the hang of one pedal driving you will know precisely when to get off the accelerator and come to a complete stop at the stop bar!
AppleFan1 (06-23-2022)
Old 06-24-2022, 06:13 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
EQS 580
As someone who is moving over from a Tesla (and loves one pedal driving - I’ve had the same set of brake pads for 7 years), I can’t wait to see how the EQS version compares.
Old 06-24-2022, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
I’m very happy to report that I now know how to use one pedal driving. I tried it this morning and it’s really not very difficult to use. It really works very well.
c4004matic (06-24-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 12:26 AM

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
2022 EQS 580, 2020 Tesla Model X LR
Originally Posted by nctalkinghead
Once you get the hang of one pedal driving you will know precisely when to get off the accelerator and come to a complete stop at the stop bar!
And there’s no going back to normal pedals IMHO. Whenever I drive a regular car these days it feels like so much work to move the foot from throttle -> brake -> throttle
Old 06-25-2022, 04:20 PM

Received 469 Likes on 295 Posts
2022 EQS 450+
I’m very happy to report that I now know how to use one pedal driving. I tried it this morning and it’s really not very difficult to use. It really works very well.
I love it, but only use it in traffic. When the traffic clears, I click the right paddle and unleash the hounds!
AppleFan1 (06-25-2022)
Old 06-26-2022, 08:01 PM

Received 262 Likes on 156 Posts
2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
Originally Posted by StormingHabs
And there’s no going back to normal pedals IMHO. Whenever I drive a regular car these days it feels like so much work to move the foot from throttle -> brake -> throttle
Interesting - the entire subject hasn’t had any impact on me. My normal driving includes a 400’
incline; I use normal recuperation, except for braking in traffic. I switch back and forth to my S560, and never even think about or feel any difference in braking:
Old 06-27-2022, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Newbyloub
Interesting - the entire subject hasn’t had any impact on me. My normal driving includes a 400’
incline; I use normal recuperation, except for braking in traffic. I switch back and forth to my S560, and never even think about or feel any difference in braking:
I agree, "normal" is my (and the cars) default setting.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:06 PM

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
2022 EQS 450+
I am an ardent fan of one-pedal driving. That having been said, I would not recommend it when using the cruise control, especially when used with navigation or the traffic sign recognition function. At least where I live, the car has too many speed limit errors where it slows the car down without warning or reason. As an example, when driving on the freeway at the posted 55mph with the cruise control engaged, the car will arbitrarily slow down because it thinks the speed should be 35mph, even though it isn't. The big issue here is that when this happens with full regenerative engaged (i.e., one-pedal driving), the car decelerates dangerously abruptly causing a hazard for the vehicle behind me. In my Tesla this was termed "phantom braking" and it was the primary reason for my dumping that car after almost getting rear ended twice.

To alleviate the rapid deceleration when the cruise control goes on the fritz, I now have to deactivate regenerative braking when using cruise control. That way, when it does try to slow down the car because it thinks the speed limit is 20mph (randomly) or misreads the 35mph speed limit sign from the frontage road next to my 55mph lane on the freeway, it will just coast down to the wrong speed limit and I can recover by stepping on the accelerator pedal and re-engage the correct speed in the cruise control.

This is such a pain in all semi-autonomous vehicles that think they know better than the driver. Since this has happened in both my old Tesla and my new EQS, I'm thinking I just have to get used to it and lament how my $30k Kia Niro PHEV never had this problem....As a side note, both the Tesla and the EQS seem to make the same mistakes in the same places so I'm wondering if they use the same map database with erroneous speed limits.

On the bright side, I do like how my EQS adjusts the speed limit automatically when it gets the speed limit correct, like when the posted limit changes from 55mph to 60mph and the car speeds up accordingly without my intervention.

But more on point, one-pedal driving is great if and when the cruise control is not engaged.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by haYnBenz
I am an ardent fan of one-pedal driving. That having been said, I would not recommend it when using the cruise control, especially when used with navigation or the traffic sign recognition function. At least where I live, the car has too many speed limit errors where it slows the car down without warning or reason. As an example, when driving on the freeway at the posted 55mph with the cruise control engaged, the car will arbitrarily slow down because it thinks the speed should be 35mph, even though it isn't. The big issue here is that when this happens with full regenerative engaged (i.e., one-pedal driving), the car decelerates dangerously abruptly causing a hazard for the vehicle behind me. In my Tesla this was termed "phantom braking" and it was the primary reason for my dumping that car after almost getting rear ended twice.

To alleviate the rapid deceleration when the cruise control goes on the fritz, I now have to deactivate regenerative braking when using cruise control. That way, when it does try to slow down the car because it thinks the speed limit is 20mph (randomly) or misreads the 35mph speed limit sign from the frontage road next to my 55mph lane on the freeway, it will just coast down to the wrong speed limit and I can recover by stepping on the accelerator pedal and re-engage the correct speed in the cruise control.

This is such a pain in all semi-autonomous vehicles that think they know better than the driver. Since this has happened in both my old Tesla and my new EQS, I'm thinking I just have to get used to it and lament how my $30k Kia Niro PHEV never had this problem....As a side note, both the Tesla and the EQS seem to make the same mistakes in the same places so I'm wondering if they use the same map database with erroneous speed limits.

On the bright side, I do like how my EQS adjusts the speed limit automatically when it gets the speed limit correct, like when the posted limit changes from 55mph to 60mph and the car speeds up accordingly without my intervention.

But more on point, one-pedal driving is great if and when the cruise control is not engaged.
All true. I have disabled most of the nannies in my car, they are not only annoying but prone to "misfiring" given our roads poor signage road lines etc. it never does anything patently dangerous but annoying nevertheless. I do like the autocruise and self driving, they work very well.
HAILERS2 (09-23-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 252 Likes on 159 Posts
2023 EQS 580

The real answer is to not use the speed limit assist. I had to turn that feature off in my Mach-e and my EQS.
The speed limit assist works for the most part but I have had very dangerous results from it in both my EVs.
c4004matic (06-28-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580

Thanks to c4004Matic, I am now a believer in one pedal driving in the city.
Old 07-06-2022, 02:37 PM

Received 469 Likes on 295 Posts
2022 EQS 450+
I have been a real fan of OPD using strong regen in traffic for some time. Stealth.pilot and c4004matic have told me of the wonders of intelligent regen, but I have resisted it because it just felt weird to me. But, I have been trying it more and more lately. On open road, in cruise control, I am starting to really like intelligent regen. I used it all the way to the golf course and back today in traffic and on the open road. I got 3.6mpkWh on the way out to the course, which has an 800ft elevation increase, over 24 miles. And I got 4.6mpkWh on the way home. That is just slightly better, both ways, than I usually get using strong regen in traffic and OPD. So, I think I am becoming a convert. Wow....never would have believed that. Love the info I get from this forum. Thanks, guys.
Old 07-06-2022, 02:45 PM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
EQS 450+
I am following in hlothery's foot steps - or should that be tire marks - and working on the intelligent regen option. My concern in both normal and intelligent modes is the use of the brakes to completely stop. I have over 100k miles in Tesla driving and never replaced brake pads. Will the savings in mpkWh justify brake pad costs over time?
Old 07-06-2022, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by nctalkinghead
I am following in hlothery's foot steps - or should that be tire marks - and working on the intelligent regen option. My concern in both normal and intelligent modes is the use of the brakes to completely stop. I have over 100k miles in Tesla driving and never replaced brake pads. Will the savings in mpkWh justify brake pad costs over time?
Pads are cheap! The issue I have with intelligent mode is that depending on situation the brake feel will differ it a little like a box of chocolates
Old 07-06-2022, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
What is the advantage of intelligent mode over normal mode when using adaptive cruise/distronic. I haven’t seen any advantage so what am I missing?
Old 07-06-2022, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
What is the advantage of intelligent mode over normal mode when using adaptive cruise/distronic. I haven’t seen any advantage so what am I missing?
If you like one pedal and no regen but dont want to be flipping modes, auto mode is for you! I have found it is very good choosing the mode most appropriate for the traffic situation. Its all about offering a variety of settings to so you can chhose your own favorite. I use mostly normal since I live an area with very little traffic and it simulates what I have been doing for 40 years best. When I go to Chicago I go full regen.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Old dog learning new tricks