EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Concerns buying nearly new EQS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2022, 12:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
X5 m50 and m550
Concerns buying nearly new EQS?

Hey all, I’ve been looking at some pre owned EQS listings that have 800-1500 miles on them.

Should I be concerned at all that someone owned a brand new car for such short period and then got rid of it? I didn’t know if that makes it way more likely im buying a lemon, or if im being paranoid and people unloading a brand new car like that happens all the time.

Would you feel fine buying from a non MB dealer as well (no CPO)? I guess I just really really wanna avoid buying a lemon and also maybe I don’t fully understand what kinds of issues are covered under the factory warranty. Is there any recourse if I end up with a lemon (can I return it somehow) or am I stuck with it?

Any thoughts or info on any of my ramblings above would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-15-2022, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 815 Likes on 523 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by Lakelife
Hey all, I’ve been looking at some pre owned EQS listings that have 800-1500 miles on them.

Should I be concerned at all that someone owned a brand new car for such short period and then got rid of it? I didn’t know if that makes it way more likely im buying a lemon, or if im being paranoid and people unloading a brand new car like that happens all the time.

Would you feel fine buying from a non MB dealer as well (no CPO)? I guess I just really really wanna avoid buying a lemon and also maybe I don’t fully understand what kinds of issues are covered under the factory warranty. Is there any recourse if I end up with a lemon (can I return it somehow) or am I stuck with it?

I would not be concerned. I would just check the service history and have it inspected for any repair history.

As an example I bought an EQS in February and sold it in July when my custom build version arrived. My reason for selling it was because it didn't have the right color or options that I wanted. The car was in immaculate condition and had never been to a dealer for any issue. Generally if there is something wrong with a car, people take it to a dealer to troubleshoot. There would be records and codes. Nobody is taking a brand new EQS to an independent shop. I personally know a lot of people who buy a car for a few months, and then move on to try something else. Also in many states you can avoid sales tax on short term ownership. I never paid tax on my first one.
Old 09-15-2022, 01:37 PM

X5 m50 and m550

Is this normal or this is showing that it did go in for service?
Old 09-15-2022, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 448 Likes on 357 Posts
2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500

Is this normal or this is showing that it did go in for service?
Looks like it had some repair work done.
Old 09-15-2022, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,120 Likes on 732 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
There are always concerns when buying a car in its first year of production, particularly a tyoe of vehicle that is the first of its kind. However I would trust one made by a munufacturer that has been around for 100 years 100 times more than one made by any startup any day plus Tuesday! At least you know that the company will be around next year! Ive had a couple of MBX bugs that solved on their own and a sticky door handle that a few squirts of WD solved. Otherwise the car jas been literraly perfect. Nothing has fallen off
.....yet.
Finally that car fax looks fine. Buying a dealer car is a good idea, you get a great discount along with full warranty and aside from a total scumbag dealer they would not sell you a known problem car.
The following users liked this post:
Jbnonc (04-24-2024)
Old 09-15-2022, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
That carfax looks like a dealer buy back. It looks like it had severe issues and the dealer bought it back from the customer. Electrical and/or Powertrain problems.
The problem was fixed and the dealer bought the car to drive it for a while to see if the issues remain before selling it to another customer rather than risk having another unsatisfied customer.
I wouldn't touch it unless it had a severe discount and I would definitely get the extended warranty when that time comes if you plan to keep it. The problem may have been fixed or the problem could reappear the day after the standard warranty expires.
dmstl (06-12-2024)
Old 09-15-2022, 05:53 PM

Received 456 Likes on 287 Posts
2022 EQS 450+
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
That carfax looks like a dealer buy back. It looks like it had severe issues and the dealer bought it back from the customer. Electrical and/or Powertrain problems.
The problem was fixed and the dealer bought the car to drive it for a while to see if the issues remain before selling it to another customer rather than risk having another unsatisfied customer.
Maybe....or maybe that is just code for the Power Train Control Unit upgrade, which we all have had.
Old 09-15-2022, 05:55 PM

X5 m50 and m550
I asked the current dealer about it and he said the following:

”It was for "Left seatbelt assembly replaced" everything else is generic. Belt has to be programmed to the vehicle.”
jhpiipe (09-15-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,120 Likes on 732 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
I asked the current dealer about it and he said the following:

”It was for "Left seatbelt assembly replaced", everything else is generic. Belt has to be programmed to the vehicle.”
suspected it wasnt a big deal.
Old 09-16-2022, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 448 Likes on 357 Posts
2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
I wouldn't touch it unless it had a severe discount and I would definitely get the extended warranty when that time comes if you plan to keep it. The problem may have been fixed or the problem could reappear the day after the standard warranty expires.
Nope. Buyback cars are branded on the Carfax. Plus, the car wouldn't have been resold so soon. Buyback cars go to MBUSA, and then to auction if the car is deemed to be resellable. This can take months.
MBNUT1 (09-16-2022)
Old 06-09-2024, 10:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2023 c300

They are usually loaner cars the dealer sells with REALLY low mileage and worth taking advantage of if you can find it.

Old 06-10-2024, 05:44 AM

Received 366 Likes on 226 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
A slightly used EQS is a monster good deal if you don't plan to flip it six months or a year from now because we all know the value is dropping like a rock. We bought our EQS 580 long distance from Sacramento MB. It had 1100 miles on it, and was certified. For fun, I've kept an eye on their inventory ever since. Their pricing drops lower and lower until they clear out their old inventory. They even still have a 2022 with almost no miles. It looks to me like on many of their very slightly used cars, there has been some sort of internal paperwork done to make it a used car and certify it, without anyone ever outside of their dealership taking ownership. I might be wrong and someone will correct me, but that's what it looks like. They've got a highly optioned new 'used' EQE for like 35% off MSRP...temping to buy it to replace my EQB, but I do love my little square box daily driver that flies under the radar. Don't forget that the EQS was out a year earlier in Europe, so MB had some time to work on bugs. And I agree with the other poster who said MB has been around forever, and will continue to do so unlike well received but very new EV companies. BTW, our EQS now has 22,500 miles and has been perfect.
Old 06-10-2024, 08:28 AM

Received 267 Likes on 159 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
....Would you feel fine buying from a non MB dealer as well (no CPO)?...
I regret paying full MSRP for my EQS SUV, and would not think twice about getting a low mileage EQS. If you purchase a used one from a non-MB dealer, you will still have to establish a relationship with an MB dealer for inevitable warranty repairs. I would limit my search for CPO cars at an MB dealer and take advantage of the unlimited mileage warranty.
MB37 (06-15-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 04:03 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2023 EQS 580 Sedan
100% correct. Bought a certified 2022 EQS580 sedan with 3500 miles last fall. Broke down in first 600 miles with yellow turtle warning light / reduced power error and ended up needing a new rear motor. Clearly a buyback resale that was giving original owner trouble. Hindsight is always 20/20, but Carfax looked just like above example with several “electrical - reprogramming” sessions over the course of its first 3500 miles. Pass!!
hlothery (06-12-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 06:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Genesis GV60
Originally Posted by dmstl
100% correct. Bought a certified 2022 EQS580 sedan with 3500 miles last fall. Broke down in first 600 miles with yellow turtle warning light / reduced power error and ended up needing a new rear motor. Clearly a buyback resale that was giving original owner trouble. Hindsight is always 20/20, but Carfax looked just like above example with several “electrical - reprogramming” sessions over the course of its first 3500 miles. Pass!!
But if you bought it certified, they fixed it for free, right? Why pass?
Old 06-26-2024, 06:44 PM

2023 EQS 580 Sedan
Yes fixed in 3 weeks; however, spending $100K on a project car that was originally $145K was too much for me to mentally handle. Ended up leasing a brand new 2023 for less. Happy so far with no issues outside of the occasional 26mph “transmission trip/slip” discussed on other threads.
GrayA (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 07:39 PM

Genesis GV60
Yes fixed in 3 weeks; however, spending $100K on a project car that was originally $145K was too much for me to mentally handle. Ended up leasing a brand new 2023 for less. Happy so far with no issues outside of the occasional 26mph “transmission trip/slip” discussed on other threads.
How did you get rid of it? Did you have to take a big loss? Sorry to hear that

Also, they fixed the issue you're referring to. https://mbworld.org/forums/eqs/85477...t-driving.html

Last edited by GrayA; 06-26-2024 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-26-2024, 09:11 PM

2023 EQS 580 Sedan
Originally Posted by GrayA
How did you get rid of it? Did you have to take a big loss? Sorry to hear that

Also, they fixed the issue you're referring to. https://mbworld.org/forums/eqs/85477...t-driving.html
Since it broke down literally on the 600 mile drive home after purchasing it, the selling dealer had it fix by my Michigan dealer and dissolved the contract since I had a long-standing purchase history with them. I loved the car so I waited for a great lease deal on a brand new one.
Old 06-27-2024, 09:25 AM

Genesis GV60
Since it broke down literally on the 600 mile drive home after purchasing it, the selling dealer had it fix by my Michigan dealer and dissolved the contract since I had a long-standing purchase history with them. I loved the car so I waited for a great lease deal on a brand new one.
Glad they were able to dissolve the contract. Now go get your leased one fixed