EQS 580 jerks a few seconds after start driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2022, 09:11 PM

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
2022 EQS580
EQS 580 jerks a few seconds after start driving

Hi all,
I have this very annoying thing on my 600 mile old EQS 580 - after I get in the car and start driving, may be for the first 20 sec - the car jerks once, similar to what you would get from a very bad transmission on a gas car - and after that everything is fine. I noticed that this happens only after the car has been parked for a white - it doesn't happen when I turn it off and turn it back on right away. I'm waiting for my appointment for the "Open socket flap" issue and I will definitely mention this one, but I'm wondering if anyone else had this problem. It is especially bad when I step on it a bit harder - the jolt it really violent.
Old 11-30-2022, 06:00 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
EQS 580
I have noticed this on occasion just as you described, but never violent. I wonder if all the software has not loaded as it occurs very shortly after I back out of my garage.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
EQS 580
Originally Posted by jlt1112
I have noticed this on occasion just as you described, but never violent. I wonder if all the software has not loaded as it occurs very shortly after I back out of my garage.
I have had a similar issue, but only with backing up after the initial start up. It is different from the sound of the door handles closing, which sometimes is rather dramatic.
Old 11-30-2022, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,120 Likes on 732 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
I get it too. A little disconcerting. Never violent. It like the drive system is adjusting or something it only happens once as described by others here. I woder it its the collision detection system engaging. A quick little jerk.
Old 11-30-2022, 01:45 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
2022 MB EQS 580
I've had this occasionally too and under the same circumstances, i.e. car parked overnight, during the first 30 seconds of driving forward. It feels a bit like my car has been hit/bumped from behind by another car. I would not say mine feels violent, but enough to cause me to instantly look in my rearview mirror. I had a BMW 750 Li that would do something very similar in cool weather, of course that one was a transmission problem.
Old 11-30-2022, 05:16 PM

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
Range Rover Land Rover
Same basic issues as RWSo CA and others have had. very rare and not every time I first start and take off.
Old 11-30-2022, 11:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
EQS 450+
First.....I am going to stop coming to this forum.....every time I have an issue with my 450+, I think....I have to post this on the forum!!! I get here, and some one posts the same problem....12 hours earlier!!!! So I think I have discovered the problem, you post, my car reads the forum post and succumbs to peer pressure!!!! Actually, my car has done this several times.....usually the car has sat for at least 4 hours and happens when the car first exceeds 25 mph under light to medium acceleration. Not violent at all, but not repeatable, which makes it difficult to take to the dealership.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dronepilot:
MBNUT1 (02-16-2023), rwsocalifornia (12-01-2022), SaffsDad (03-06-2023)
Old 11-30-2022, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 312 Likes on 215 Posts
2022 EQS580
I also have witnessed this minor problem (but not always) when I pull out of the garage and start driving forward. It feels like a gentle bump on the road surface. I didn’t think anything of it until mentioned in this thread.
Old 12-01-2022, 12:31 AM

Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts
23' EQS AMG
Have the dealer check voltage to motors. This sounds simplistic, but years ago when I was in RC hobby, voltage drop would do this to a battery RC car I had built. Faulty controller/voltage regulator was at fault. There's a lot of parallelism between RC cars (nitrous vs. battery) compared to more complex real cars. But the physics and fundamental engineers remains very similar.
Old 12-01-2022, 02:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 297 Likes on 249 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by Dronepilot
First.....I am going to stop coming to this forum.....every time I have an issue with my 450+, I think....I have to post this on the forum!!! I get here, and some one posts the same problem....12 hours earlier!!!! So I think I have discovered the problem, you post, my car reads the forum post and succumbs to peer pressure!!!! Actually, my car has done this several times.....usually the car has sat for at least 4 hours and happens when the car first exceeds 25 mph under light to medium acceleration. Not violent at all, but not repeatable, which makes it difficult to take to the dealership.
Perhaps it is the "dry braking" feature. Dry breaking cleans rotors periodically at wet conditions at speeds above 50 km/h. 25 mph is a bit less but perhaps the car does it once at the start of the trip at a bit lower speed cleaning rotors from uneven friction after the parking brake has been applied for a longish time.

Originally Posted by MB37
Have the dealer check voltage to motors. This sounds simplistic, but years ago when I was in RC hobby, voltage drop would do this to a battery RC car I had built. Faulty controller/voltage regulator was at fault. There's a lot of parallelism between RC cars (nitrous vs. battery) compared to more complex real cars. But the physics and fundamental engineers remains very similar.
Did the RC car just jerk slightly and only after the first start after parking and only at certain speed, then running without any problems the whole trip?
Old 12-01-2022, 09:31 AM

2022 EQS580
I guess "violent" was too strong of a word to use to describe it - usually it's a mild bump, which indeed makes you look at the rear view mirror to see if someone tagged you. However, last time it happened, I was accelerating and it was a really strong one, so much that it triggered me to write the post. I'm really curious about the "dry braking" idea, though I've never had anything like this in any other car - but it sounds like it makes sense. However, it's hard to believe that a luxury car would do something like this because it really makes the ride far less perfect. Also, I don't remember reading anything about this in the manual - I will skim through it again to make sure.

I have an appointment on Dec 7th ("Open socket flap") - I'll let you know what the dealer tells me about this. Since this car doesn't have a gearbox (finally, a MB with no transmission issues! I've had quite a few in the past) - I guess this could indeed be fixed with a software update, unless as it was suggested - it's a controller issue. Otherwise the car is absolutely amazing - this is my first electric car. I cancelled my Lucid Touring and i7 reservations and don't regret about it for a sec.
Old 12-05-2022, 12:44 AM

Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts
23' EQS AMG
From what everyone is describing, it sounds like a a faulty temperature sensor that the braking and motor system are reading from. Either that or a software update that allow initial tolerance (delay) of one or more sensors on startup to initialize. Of course, I'm shooting in the dark. I'm sure a diagnostic log, if the car is programmed to record at that level, will reveal the issue. In most cases, the issue is logged, but you won't see it from an end user perspective unless it is severe or presents a potential safety hazard.
Old 12-05-2022, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by MB37
From what everyone is describing, it sounds like a a faulty temperature sensor that the braking and motor system are reading from. Either that or a software update that allow initial tolerance (delay) of one or more sensors on startup to initialize. Of course, I'm shooting in the dark. I'm sure a diagnostic log, if the car is programmed to record at that level, will reveal the issue. In most cases, the issue is logged, but you won't see it from an end user perspective unless it is severe or presents a potential safety hazard.
I have no clue what it is, but it's a total non-issue. At least in my case.
Old 12-12-2022, 12:56 PM

2022 EQS580
Got my car back. Spent 3 days at the dealer - they fixed the socket flap issue (description of work says “adjusted sensor”) but as for the jerking thing - they were unable to reproduce it and they said there are no error codes reported anywhere. And of course, it didn’t happen to me this morning either so, will keep an eye on it.

As a side note, one thing that got me worried is notification that I received in the app said that there was a collision detected and rear end of the car has damage. That was around 7am and I spent a really nervous hour before I could call them. They said that this happens to these cars all the time and sensors are too sensitive and pick up loud noises like closing doors or motorcycles. I didn’t quite believe it but I inspected every inch of the rear of the car and saw zero damage, so I guess they are right. Also, according to recorded images the car was in the shop, where you would expect loud noises. So, just FYI - don’t immediately freak out when you get this notification
The following 2 users liked this post by Paul106:
AppleFan1 (12-12-2022), rwsocalifornia (12-12-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 12:49 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
EQS 450+
Have had this happen 3 more times since last post....every time, it has happened at exactly 25 mph.
Old 12-15-2022, 01:35 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
EQS 580
Just had this start happening about a week ago. I’m at 3500 miles. Usually when I’m pulling out of the garage (going forward). Glad I’m not the only one.
Old 12-15-2022, 09:30 AM

EQS 580
Originally Posted by RobotGuyPA
Just had this start happening about a week ago. I’m at 3500 miles. Usually when I’m pulling out of the garage (going forward). Glad I’m not the only one.
Happened again with my 580 EQS. Backing out.of garage. This time it was violent, engaging the brake suddenly and enough to put pressure on my safety belt. I am wondering if the rear camera is interpreting something as an object during the initial start up. This episode was like the youtube videos about the "safety features" of avoiding an object on the highway.
Old 12-15-2022, 11:30 PM

2022 EQS580
Oh, that is a good idea! Though... wouldn't it be accompanied by some sort of alert in that case?
Old 12-16-2022, 08:01 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
EQS 580
Originally Posted by Pdog
Happened again with my 580 EQS. Backing out.of garage. This time it was violent, engaging the brake suddenly and enough to put pressure on my safety belt. I am wondering if the rear camera is interpreting something as an object during the initial start up. This episode was like the youtube videos about the "safety features" of avoiding an object on the highway.
this sounds more like an accidental triggering of the cross traffic warning. I’ve had that happen while backing up because of garbage cans, etc. What folks are describing here is more of a “ka-thunk” that happens when driving forward slowly, just after start. I’ve had that happened a few times as well.
The following users liked this post:
Diesel Benz (12-16-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
That is a different issue, and I've had that too. Its phantom braking. Ive had it both in reverse and at slow speed driving forward. Your assesment is absolutely correct its the pedestrian avoidance collision system misinterpreting something. The time that it activativated driving forward, a neighbor had put his trash can tpo far onto the road and it was dark. When the car suddenly "saw" it it decided to slam the brakes. My huess is the sytesm classified it as a child. When reversing it occasionally does the same thing coming through the garage doors. I expect these things to happen and it isn't a defect. On occasion at high speed when you are passing a very big box truck it will also apply the brakes slightly and swerve slightly to "avoid" it. Again, not a defect simply limitations of all the nannies. That why I keep them all on the least sensitive setting. The slight "jerk", however, I think its an actual "defect" although just an annoyance. At the speed it happens I suspect its a deactivation of the slow speed nannies which is causing the throttle to disengage momentarily when they switch off. It feels just like when the traction control engages in a slippery situation by cutting power.
Old 12-16-2022, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
That is a different issue, and I've had that too. Its phantom braking. Ive had it both in reverse and at slow speed driving forward. Your assesment is absolutely correct its the pedestrian avoidance collision system misinterpreting something. The time that it activativated driving forward, a neighbor had put his trash can tpo far onto the road and it was dark. When the car suddenly "saw" it it decided to slam the brakes. My huess is the sytesm classified it as a child. When reversing it occasionally does the same thing coming through the garage doors. I expect these things to happen and it isn't a defect. On occasion at high speed when you are passing a very big box truck it will also apply the brakes slightly and swerve slightly to "avoid" it. Again, not a defect simply limitations of all the nannies. That why I keep them all on the least sensitive setting. The slight "jerk", however, I think its an actual "defect" although just an annoyance. At the speed it happens I suspect its a deactivation of the slow speed nannies which is causing the throttle to disengage momentarily when they switch off. It feels just like when the traction control engages in a slippery situation by cutting power.
Old 12-16-2022, 11:47 AM

Received 261 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
Originally Posted by c4004matic
Just another good reason for my skipping all the fancy sophisticated options when I ordered my car, or bypass them if standard equipment.
Old 12-16-2022, 01:05 PM

Received 455 Likes on 286 Posts
EQS 450+
I've noticed this also, although not every day. Just happens periodically when i am first pulling away from my location, after the car has been parked for several hours. Feels almost like an automatic transmission changing gears. Only happens once. No other issues. Have no idea what it is, but I'm not worried about it. We'll hear the real explanation eventually.
The following users liked this post:
pughjl (03-13-2023)
Old 12-16-2022, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 812 Likes on 644 Posts
These automated systems are all subject to misbehaving and/or failure. I had a very bad experience in my '18 E300 that I reported to NHTSA.
The vehicle was in motion traveling at 35 mph and controlled by adaptive cruise control set at 35 mph. The time was 12:40 pm ET on 29 March 2019. Seemingly the car went into crash prevention mode by tightening the seat belt and executing a maximum force braking stop. The tires squealed. My chest was sore where the seat belt retracted with force. Approximate Location: Southbound on Landmark Dr. near xxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Landmark Dr. is a residential two lane road running North-South with dual yellow painted center marking. Road is straight and flat for approximately .2 mile in each direction. There were no other vehicles, pedestrians or animals within sight in either direction. Weather was sunny and dry with the temperature near 82°F.
NHTSA corresponded with me about the issue, but I never heard of a resolution or software update. Fortunately, there was no reoccurance of the issue.
Old 02-15-2023, 09:08 AM

EQS Sedan, W222, W221, W220
I also have observed this many times, even though it is not a drastic jerk. I would not think it is not caused by a nearby object, as I normally drive the first block coming out of my neighborhood right down the center of the street.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EQS 580 jerks a few seconds after start driving