EQS EQS (V297) sedan

After Software upgrade to E329...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2023 | 03:47 PM

EQS 580
Well I just had a frustrating experience trying to upgrade to version E329. Went to my dealer and of course they were unaware it even exists. My SA looked on his computer and said there were no advisories or software updates pending. He talked to the service manager and he was unaware too.

I tell my SA about a couple of minor software issues that I've been having (traffic light view now working, front speakers muting and then "popping" back on). I told him if they would just update the software, I think that might fix things. He said they can't just do that, they have to run diagnostics and everything but they're extremely backed up so he estimated it would take until Friday (3 days from now) until my car would be ready. I told him I'd be happy for them to just update the software and then take my car home. Again he says they can't do that, they need to keep the car and run through diagnostics or whatever.

So instead of just leaving my car there for a couple of hours for a software update, they'll need to keep it for 3 days (!!!) to run whatever diagnostic bullcrap, and then they'll possibly update my software, if they can even find the update.

Although something is definitely not right with my dealer's process, I can't help but blame Mercedes for this as well. Sounds like others in this thread have run into similar issues with their dealers not being aware of the new version, though it seems like the other dealers were more flexible in terms of listening to their customers and just trying it. I mean, why even come up with a software update if you're not even gonna let your dealers know that it exists? Absurd.
Old 02-07-2023 | 04:22 PM

2005 SL 500. 2015 S550. 2016 GLE400 2018 S560
Originally Posted by ww007
Well I just had a frustrating experience trying to upgrade to version E329. Went to my dealer and of course they were unaware it even exists. My SA looked on his computer and said there were no advisories or software updates pending. He talked to the service manager and he was unaware too.

I tell my SA about a couple of minor software issues that I've been having (traffic light view now working, front speakers muting and then "popping" back on). I told him if they would just update the software, I think that might fix things. He said they can't just do that, they have to run diagnostics and everything but they're extremely backed up so he estimated it would take until Friday (3 days from now) until my car would be ready. I told him I'd be happy for them to just update the software and then take my car home. Again he says they can't do that, they need to keep the car and run through diagnostics or whatever.

So instead of just leaving my car there for a couple of hours for a software update, they'll need to keep it for 3 days (!!!) to run whatever diagnostic bullcrap, and then they'll possibly update my software, if they can even find the update.

Although something is definitely not right with my dealer's process, I can't help but blame Mercedes for this as well. Sounds like others in this thread have run into similar issues with their dealers not being aware of the new version, though it seems like the other dealers were more flexible in terms of listening to their customers and just trying it. I mean, why even come up with a software update if you're not even gonna let your dealers know that it exists? Absurd.
My dealer didn’t know it was released as well. They asked me to bring car in and they would hook it up to their computer and see if there was an update(which I knew there was). That took all of 15 minutes. They went forward with the update and also updated my maps. The service advisor said they need a reason for update so Mercedes will reimburse them. Can’t remember what he said so that it wouldn’t cost me anything. Took about 2 hours. I’ve been a long term customer so they took care of me. But what gets me is they issued an update and won’t install it unless you are having issues. There must have been some sort of issue or improvement or else why would they come up with a new version. Anyways I got upgraded a month ago and all good.
Old 02-07-2023 | 05:09 PM

2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
Newby and Radman -

Much the same with me; MB Cincinnati ignorant of 329 update I learned about here. Dealer said they’d update but missed it.
I read a couple of quotes from here to the Service Mgr; he agreed to try again.
Less than 2 hours later, it’s done.

I attribute most of this to a whole new car design, rushed to market, inadequate training preparation. They couldn’t and didn’t figure out their problems.

Given everything, I don’t find it surprising. I minimized my vulnerability by not buying any systems options, and ignoring some standard ones.

Still, my wife and I think it’s the best car we’ve had in 40+ years.

Right now mine’s in the body shop, but my’18 S560 is a wonderful fallback.
Old 02-07-2023 | 08:03 PM

2023 Mercedes ESQ SUV 580 ● 2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Coming from 5 1/2 years of Tesla ownership, I'm going to need a different mindset with regards to updates. I estimate that my 2017 Model S has had at least 50 OTA updates during our time together. I hope I can control myself and not bug the crap out my dealership every time I read about a new update that others may have.
(Taking delivery of an EQS SUV 580 later this month)
Old 02-08-2023 | 01:20 PM

2022 MB EQS 580
Originally Posted by LasVegas_89135
Coming from 5 1/2 years of Tesla ownership, I'm going to need a different mindset with regards to updates. I estimate that my 2017 Model S has had at least 50 OTA updates during our time together. I hope I can control myself and not bug the crap out my dealership every time I read about a new update that others may have.
(Taking delivery of an EQS SUV 580 later this month)
I love my EQS 580! I've had it about 6 months and love the interior, quietness and all the bells and whistles compared to Tesla. But coming from 7 years of Tesla Model S, X and still owning a Model 3, I see Mercedes as a full decade behind Tesla in the software arena. And I am NOT talking about any of the 'self driving' features. I'm just talking about the bugs and half implemented features. So far, I haven't heard anyone describe an OTA update that was anything more involved than a simple map data update. And several people have had trouble even with that. Wireless CarPlay connects maybe 40% of the time. When avoiding CarPlay and using just the MBUX infotainment apps, Amazon Music hangs/disconnects/fails at least 50% of the time. There is no way to change the default setting of MANY options most people would expect, i.e. Drive Mode, braking, etc. My car is SUPPOSED to allow me to raise the suspension at a specific location so I don't scrape my front end on the dip in the middle of my block (this is documented in the MBUSA online manual, just not implemented as of E316). And the Samsung tablet in my rear armrest that controls massage, lighting, music, etc. rarely connects. Mostly it just sits with a 'i am trying to connect message'. And then the whole concept that I must BEG the dealer to allow me to leave the car with them for a week so they can possibly spend X number of manhours to install a software update that Tesla can do in 15 minutes from the comfort of my garage. Honestly few if any of these issues are EQ specific, I'm just surprised that millions of other MB owners with MBUX think "oh well, that's OK. I just paid $50K ~ $150K for a car and many of the differentiating features are buggy". Ok, enough of my rant. Mercedes can and should do better. Or so says someone who's been a software engineer for 30+ years.
The following 6 users liked this post by rwsocalifornia:
dangitty (02-09-2023), eqs (02-11-2023), finlayson (02-09-2023), jlt1112 (02-08-2023), LasVegas_89135 (02-08-2023), SaffsDad (02-21-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-08-2023 | 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by rwsocalifornia
I love my EQS 580! I've had it about 6 months and love the compared to Tesla. But coming from 7 years of Tesla Model S, X and still owning a Model 3, I see Mercedes as a full decade behind Tesla in the software arena. And I am NOT talking about any of the 'self driving' features. I'm just talking about the bugs and half implemented features. So far, I haven't heard anyone describe an OTA update that was anything more involved than a simple map data update. And several people have had trouble even with that. Wireless CarPlay connects maybe 40% of the time. When avoiding CarPlay and using just the MBUX infotainment apps, Amazon Music hangs/disconnects/fails at least 50% of the time. There is no way to change the default setting of MANY options most people would expect, i.e. Drive Mode, braking, etc. My car is SUPPOSED to allow me to raise the suspension at a specific location so I don't scrape my front end on the dip in the middle of my block (this is documented in the MBUSA online manual, just not implemented as of E316). And the Samsung tablet in my rear armrest that controls massage, lighting, music, etc. rarely connects. Mostly it just sits with a 'i am trying to connect message'. And then the whole concept that I must BEG the dealer to allow me to leave the car with them for a week so they can possibly spend X number of manhours to install a software update that Tesla can do in 15 minutes from the comfort of my garage. Honestly few if any of these issues are EQ specific, I'm just surprised that millions of other MB owners with MBUX think "oh well, that's OK. I just paid $50K ~ $150K for a car and many of the differentiating features are buggy". Ok, enough of my rant. Mercedes can and should do better. Or so says someone who's been a software engineer for 30+ years.
Thanks for the "rant".

I'm glad you love your 580. I'm looking forward to the "interior, quietness and all the bells and whistles" as you have mentioned. Most EQS (Sedan and SUV) owners in this forum seem to feel the same way.
The following users liked this post:
rwsocalifornia (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023 | 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

N/A
Originally Posted by ww007

It's always been like this and it's very annoying.
The main issue is that the big updates take hours and they don't make money doing them unless it's part of a recall/service campaign. Updates outside of recalls/service campaigns you just have to try and ask nicely and hope they agree.
Apparently MBUSA advises dealers to not update software unless their is a confirmed fault, hence why they are obligated to run diagnostics, etc..
Wish you could just update the software via USB.
Old 02-08-2023 | 05:13 PM

2022 EQS 450+
Originally Posted by Eaton
It's always been like this and it's very annoying.
The main issue is that the big updates take hours and they don't make money doing them unless it's part of a recall/service campaign. Updates outside of recalls/service campaigns you just have to try and ask nicely and hope they agree.
Apparently MBUSA advises dealers to not update software unless their is a confirmed fault, hence why they are obligated to run diagnostics, etc..
Wish you could just update the software via USB.
I suspect this is going to be an ongoing issue with EVs. Dealers make money, of course, by selling cars. But they make most of their money on their service departments, which EVs require a lot less of. The entire paradigm is going to need to change. Will be interesting to watch.
Old 02-08-2023 | 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

N/A
Originally Posted by hlothery
I suspect this is going to be an ongoing issue with EVs. Dealers make money, of course, by selling cars. But they make most of their money on maintenance, which EVs require a lot less of. The entire paradigm is going to need to change. Will be interesting to watch.
The thing about OTA on ICE cars is that large OTAs require a lot of battery to install and could deplete the charge. I image that was why MBUX v1 never saw substantial OTA updates.
Hopefully they are working out a better OTA solution for MBUX v2 cars, which powers most of their EV lineup. Can't imagine battery charge being the issue there.
Old 02-08-2023 | 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by hlothery
I suspect this is going to be an ongoing issue with EVs.
Besides my 2017 Tesla, I also have a 2022 Volvo XC40 Pure Electric. Though OTA updates for the Volvo are not as frequent as Tesla's, I have had 4 of them in my one year of ownership.
The following 2 users liked this post by LasVegas_89135:
rwsocalifornia (02-08-2023), ww007 (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023 | 02:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by Eaton
The thing about OTA on ICE cars is that large OTAs require a lot of battery to install and could deplete the charge. I image that was why MBUX v1 never saw substantial OTA updates.
Hopefully they are working out a better OTA solution for MBUX v2 cars, which powers most of their EV lineup. Can't imagine battery charge being the issue there.
Sounds like a valid argument but I would expect a typical MBUX SW update take no more data than a large navigation maps database update and these are done over the air. However I believe the car is not downloading any of the updates when parked. Not only the modem would consume battery but also MBUX would need to be woken up (for buffering/storing the update data). The download can be performed while the car is driven. The car anyway needs to have enough buffer storage to download a complete update and then perform a health check for the file before attempting to run it.

Our W213 (2021, I guess MBUX V1?) recently got an "entertainment" update. One had to start the update manually (accept the update) and it took quite a while to have the screen back. The 213 has had multiple OTA updates when my 223 has had none so far (unless some have been totally hidden from the driver and not listed by the Mercedes Me app).
Old 02-16-2023 | 09:29 PM

2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
In the 2023 order guide thread, I saw today in a section near the bottom of it, another section that touches on answers or responses to several issues that have repeatedly arisen here, explaining some puzzles.

Recommend looking at it. It’s below all the new car specs.
The following 2 users liked this post by Newbyloub:
AppleFan1 (02-17-2023), ScottC2 (02-17-2023)
Old 02-17-2023 | 09:28 AM

EQE SUV 500 4Matic
Originally Posted by Newbyloub
In the 2023 order guide thread, I saw today in a section near the bottom of it, another section that touches on answers or responses to several issues that have repeatedly arisen here, explaining some puzzles.

Recommend looking at it. It’s below all the new car specs.
This was a great tip. Thank you, Newbyloub!
Since I went to the effort to look for it, I thought I might as well paste the text here:

Product Clarifications & Info
Top answers and clarifications on the EQS based on your and customer emails.
● Max Range vs. Range in Instrument Cluster
◯ Max Range is the "ideal conditions" range, it's what the car is capable of with all eco functions enabled, and a smooth driving style
◯ Range is calculated real-life range. The EQS uses your historic driving style, as well as current use of consumers (such as AC/Heat, Seat
Heating/Ventilation/Massage)
◯ A driver can get closer to Max Range by enabling eco functions in MBUX. In MBUX, tap Home / EQ Menu / Range. This menu shows features of how to
improve your range and can be individually selected. Tap the middle "planet" icon to turn on all Eco functions.
● AIRMATIC
◯ Airmatic is not manually adjustable in the EQS, and the vehicle does not have a 'lift' button. To lift the vehicle please refer to owner's
manual, page 375.
only for transport
◯ Airmatic still features automatic adjustments such as selectable damping modes (via DYNAMIC SELECT), load leveling, and speed-sensitive lowering.
● 110V Charging Cable (B35)
◯ 110V Charging Cable is on backorder due to a constraint, and is in a critically low level of supply. Please refer to the EV Guide in the Cross Carline section on
information on how to set customers up for At-Home Charging using ChargePoint and qMerit.
◯ Part can be ordered with the following part numbers once available: 110V Charging Cable Part #A0005836204. Carrying Bag Part#A000899230064
● Multicontour Front Seats with Massage (399)
◯ AMG Line Interior Seats (7U4) do not have the Hot Relaxing Back, Hot Relaxing Shoulders, or Wave Massage programs.
● Pinnacle Rear Seats
◯ All EQS seating configurations are 5-seat. There is no 4-seat configuration.
◯ The Pinnacle rear seat folds flat at a 60/40 split, with a power release in the trunk. Standard rear seat (Premium, Exclusive) folds flat at 60/40/20 split with a
manual release at the top of the seat.
● Electrify America & Maintenance Offer
◯ 2-Years of Complementary Electrify America DC Charging & Maintenance is standard on all EQS Sedans. Customers can take advantage of this program no
matter the finance product used.
◯ 2-Years of Complementary charging is on the Electrify America network.ONLY
● Headrest Pillows
◯ Front Headrest Pillows are included with Front Multicontour Seats w/ Massage (399), and included with Exclusive and Pinnacle Trims.
◯ Front Headrest Pilllows are not included with AMG Line Interior (DG2) seats.
◯ Rear headrest pillows are included as standard equipment. With Pinnacle Trim (DY2), rear headrest includes larger pillows.
● Heated Steering Wheel
◯ EQS does not have switch on steering column to turn on steering wheel heating. Function is controlled via MBUX, MBUX Voice Assistant, and can
additionally be programmed to automatically be enabled with Seat Heating.
◯ Refer to owner's manual, page 116 for how to couple, or decouple steering wheel heating from seat heating.
● EV 101, Charging and FAQs
◯ Please refer to the EV Guide, under Cross-Carline.
● Carpeted Floor Mats
◯ Images used in the Dealer Ordering Guide reflect a European-Specification EQS. All images show light-colored floormats.
◯ US-Specific Logic is as follows:
◯ Macchiato Beige upholstery (205/805) - floormats are in Space Grey
◯ Neva Grey / Sable Brown upholsteries (209/229) - floormats are in Sable Brown
◯ Neva Grey / Biscaya Blue upholstery (509)- floormats are in . It's recommended to include All-Season Floormats (D43 or D53) with this
upholstery
Neva Grey
● AM Radio
◯ The EQS does not feature AM Radio. A common issue with electric cars is that the drivetrain and components heavily interfere with AM Radio signals. This
results in static, buzzing, and distorted sounds that can overwhelm and completely block out the broadcast.
◯ :Solutions for Customers include
◯ SiriusXM Satellite Radio for Sports, News and Talk (https://www.siriusxm.com/channels). A trial subscription of SiriusXM is included with all EQS
Sedans.
◯ Smartphone Integration - use the Android or iPhone apps "TuneIn" or "iHeart Radio" to stream AM stations with CarPlay or Android Auto. Smartphone
Integration is standard on all EQS Sedans.
◯ HD Radio - use https://hdradio.com/stations to find news, sports, and talk radio that may be simulcast on HD FM Radio. HD Radio is standard on all
EQS Sedans
The following 2 users liked this post by ScottC2:
eqs (02-18-2023), jlt1112 (02-18-2023)
Old 02-17-2023 | 11:13 AM

2022 MB EQS 580
Originally Posted by Newbyloub
I believe this is going to grow.
As of the end of 2022, the current EQS Software has an ID of xxxE329 xxx.... You will find your current SW install in Systems > Info.

There are a great many differences in the home screen. I've only seen it once since my 12/29 upgrade that I had to convince my dealer existed. In my case, even though the download connection broke down four times, it took considerably less than the predicted or stated three hours.

Frankly, I don't have a clue as to how quickly I can can adjust to the new screen, or what unknown marvels or terrors lie under it.

I do expect it to be the source or cause of numerous reports or requests for help here, (and I'm assuming some will come from me)enough to justify this separate thread.

One thing that did occur for the first time was a "12 volt battery low" message. I immediate phoned dealer service, and was asked if it had come up in the car or in an app. It came up in my phone as I was checking my max recharge level in preparation for my upcoming absence. When I replied it had come up on the phone, not on the car screen, I said, "phone," and was immediately advised it was no concern unless it came up on the car's screen, Take it for what it's worth,

This covers all that I can tell now, and since I will be away from m car for the next ten days, I cannot be a source for answers until at least mid-January. I hope to see info arising here during this interim.

Good luck to all upgradees and to new owners. Please share your discoveries,
I got upgraded from E250 to E329 at the beginning of February and I have not experienced any issues in the 2 weeks since. Would be great if Mercedes published an FAQ that summarized the critical changes in each upgrade.