EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Will this front license plate wrap fit the EQS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2023, 07:36 AM

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts
No Mercedes yet
Will this front license plate wrap fit the EQS?

For the past few months, I've pointed out (on this forum) that - for states like California that require a front license plate - there's an alternative that doesn't require mounting a bracket. Instead, you can get a 'wrap' of the front license plate: https://licenseplatewrap.com/

However, before I order this for myself, I'm worried about whether it will fit my EQS (specifically, my EQS SUV). It requires a space 12 inches wide, and 6 inches high. It's the "6 inches high" that I'm worried about. I don't think there's enough room on the front grill - under the camera that's just below the Mercedes-Benz star - to fit this wrap without distorting it unacceptably.

Has anyone managed to apply this (or any other) front license plate wrap to their EQS?
Old 01-04-2023, 12:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
P90D
Maybe you could cut a half circle to go around the camera. Time to get out the masking tape and see what it looks like.
Old 01-04-2023, 01:28 PM

No Mercedes yet
Originally Posted by buddy4406
Maybe you could cut a half circle to go around the camera. Time to get out the masking tape and see what it looks like.
Unfortunately, Q23 of their FAQ suggests that this cannot be done legally:
Q23: Can LPW [the wrap] be altered if it does not fit the bumper?
A: No. Any changes or alterations to the LPW will void and will automatically remove vehicle from the program. LPWs are created to meet specifications of the standard license plate issued by the DMV.
Old 01-05-2023, 01:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
P90D
Whatever, if a quarter size half circle is that critical then I ques you SOL.
Old 01-06-2023, 01:34 PM

No Mercedes yet
Originally Posted by buddy4406
Whatever, if a quarter size half circle is that critical then I ques you SOL.
Yeah, I basically have three options:
1/ Install a regular front license plate mount, making the front of my car look not as nice, and somewhat lessening air flow for cooling the battery.
2/ Install this wrap, but with a hole cut out in the middle of "California" (for the front camera), also making the front of my car look not (quite) as nice, and hoping that ****-retentive California cops won't ticket me for my disfigured front license 'plate'.
3/ Don't install a front license plate at all, keeping the front of my car looking pristine, and figuring that the occasional tickets I get for not having a front plate are just part of the "cost of ownership" of an EQS (and living in California :-)

For now, I'm going with option 3/.
Old 01-06-2023, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 814 Likes on 646 Posts
Option 4/ Register your car in a neighboring state such as AZ that is one of the 29 states that doesn't require a front plate.
Old 01-21-2023, 05:11 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
EQS 580
Problem solved:

EQS front license plate
Old 01-21-2023, 05:28 PM

Received 261 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
Please excuse my question, but how does the driver know when to produce or show his front plate? Once he's stopped for not having//displaying his front plate, it's too late to bring it out if the officer wants to write a ticket.
I'm just a country feller from the no-front plate Commonwealth of Kentucky..

Last edited by Newbyloub; 01-21-2023 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-21-2023, 05:46 PM

Received 456 Likes on 287 Posts
2022 EQS 450+
Originally Posted by Fyrcity
Problem solved:

EQS front license plate
Kinda James Bondish.....is there a minigun option? If so, I'm in.
Old 01-21-2023, 06:20 PM

Received 152 Likes on 114 Posts
2005 SL 500. 2015 S550. 2016 GLE400 2018 S560
Originally Posted by Newbyloub
Please excuse my question, but how does the driver know when to produce or show his front plate? Once he's stopped for not having//displaying his front plate, it's too late to bring it out if the officer wants to write a ticket.
I'm just a country feller from the no-front plate Commonwealth of Kentucky..
While the officer is beside your window explaining why you got stopped, you hit the remote and act dumb. What do you mean I don’t have a front plate? I can imagine the look on the officers face when he sees a plate is now there.
The following users liked this post:
hlothery (01-22-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 06:41 PM

2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
Originally Posted by Radman991
While the officer is beside your window explaining why you got stopped, you hit the remote and act dumb. What do you mean I don’t have a front plate? I can imagine the look on the officers face when he sees a plate is now there.
And if he then shows you the photograph he just took with his phone that clearly shows no front plate was displayed, along with the date and time, telling you he has already sent the photo to state authorities, and informs you that you could be charged with an attempt to defraud the state?

Last edited by Newbyloub; 01-21-2023 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-22-2023, 09:26 AM

2022 EQS 450+
And if he then shows you the photograph he just took with his phone that clearly shows no front plate was displayed, along with the date and time, telling you he has already sent the photo to state authorities, and informs you that you could be charged with an attempt to defraud the state?
No fraud involved.....you clearly bought the plate as you were supposed to. At most, it's failure to display it. However, having said that, I've always just drilled and mounted my plates, and I really don't understand the desire not to comply with the law. It's just a car.....
Old 01-22-2023, 09:38 AM

2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
So you say, in re: fraud.. Doesn't mean the charge couldn't be threatened and have to be defended against. The defense that the front plate was bought and is in the car is no defense against the charge of not displaying it.

I''m sure the plates are sold in pairs, but what defense is there to breaking the law by not displaying one of them?

Vanity, thy name is vanity. If someone wants to run the risk, so be it. My point simply is that a flipping plate is going to cost money, the driver has to quickly locate his remote, and to what end? He has no defense.

Of course, all of this is in jest...
Old 01-22-2023, 09:45 AM

No Mercedes yet
Originally Posted by hlothery
I really don't understand the desire not to comply with the law. It's just a car.....
Perhaps because:
  1. You feel that the car looks much better without the front license plate, and
  2. You feel that this particular law is unreasonable and silly (because several other states manage just fine with only rear license plates, and your own state is presumably already able to recognize out-of-state cars that have just a rear plate), and
  3. You feel that it's your civic duty to protest laws that are unreasonable and silly, and
  4. You feel that you can afford the cost of occasionally getting tickets for not displaying a front license plate
Old 01-22-2023, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,807 Likes on 1,800 Posts
2024 S580
Except that he will have done none of those things...
The following users liked this post:
hlothery (01-22-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 12:48 PM

2022 EQS 450+
Originally Posted by finlayson
Perhaps because:
  1. You feel that the car looks much better without the front license plate, and
  2. You feel that this particular law is unreasonable and silly (because several other states manage just fine with only rear license plates, and your own state is presumably already able to recognize out-of-state cars that have just a rear plate), and
  3. You feel that it's your civic duty to protest laws that are unreasonable and silly, and
  4. You feel that you can afford the cost of occasionally getting tickets for not displaying a front license plate
Yea....OK...I really should have added YMMV to my post. Apologize. Civic duty, huh?
Old 01-22-2023, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Check your regulatory requirement carefully. This language is included in Nevada and excludes vehicles without an existing location designed in to the vehicle (existing holes?) or vehicles without a front bracket provided by the OEM. That does not mean the dealer. So, if you happened not to find a bracket or "other means" "provided" to you when you took delivery, the front plate is optional in Nevada. Not sure about California language, but worth a detailed review.

​​​​​​Front plates are optional only if 1) the vehicle was not designed for a front plate and 2) the manufacturer did not provide an add-on bracket or other means of displaying the front plate. (NRS 482.275)