EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Concerned about recent value drop on the EQS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2023, 11:19 AM

Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts
23' EQS AMG
Originally Posted by SW20S
The tax credit is actually a big reason why I leased our new Pacifica PHEV, I make too
As for people looking down on leasing…quite frankly they’re morons, and they can be wrong all they want lol. Sorry but it’s true, I’ve done the math every which way to Sunday and buying a car like this makes no sense unless you are going to keep it 6+ years. Many of us also own businesses which makes it make even less sense to buy. Uncle Sam pays half of my lease payment.
Good comment except for the name calling rhetoric which makes you seem to have a narrow world view of it. My millennial nephew makes mid 7 figures a year, and he doesn't twitch owning a 2 Rolls Royce and leaving one outside all the time. 100K is peanuts just like a Happy Meal is peanuts to most of us here, relatively speaking. The degree of concern over valuation drop of commodities such as the EQS depends on your level of resources available to you.

Holeydonut makes a good assessment when he/she said, "IMO, the only "right" approach is for anyone interested in a new car to weigh the pros/cons of leasing/financing/buying and act accordingly to their interests and likely outcomes. Someone else will have a completely different sent of priorities and requirements and could select a completely different option for their unique circumstances."

Last edited by MB37; 11-10-2023 at 11:21 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by MB37:
J_Boxer (11-10-2023), MBNUT1 (11-10-2023), nath_h (11-11-2023), stealth.pilot (11-21-2023)
Old 11-10-2023, 11:25 AM

23' EQS AMG
Originally Posted by fgwinn
Leasing in Pennsylvania is a little less nice than most other States. Here the State gets an extra 3% above the regular Sales Tax rate on the value of the lease payments.
Company lease in Harris County (Texas) pays an annual business personal property tax. Basically a tax on your company inventory. I'm sure there's other taxes that Texas charge that's not included the the lease deal with financial services.
Old 11-10-2023, 11:50 AM

Received 86 Likes on 47 Posts
23 EQS 450 4matic sedan
Originally Posted by MB37
Good comment except for the name calling rhetoric which makes you seem to have a narrow world view of it. My millennial nephew makes mid 7 figures a year, and he doesn't twitch owning a 2 Rolls Royce and leaving one outside all the time. 100K is peanuts just like a Happy Meal is peanuts to most of us here, relatively speaking. The degree of concern over valuation drop of commodities such as the EQS depends on your level of resources available to you.

Holeydonut makes a good assessment when he/she said, "IMO, the only "right" approach is for anyone interested in a new car to weigh the pros/cons of leasing/financing/buying and act accordingly to their interests and likely outcomes. Someone else will have a completely different sent of priorities and requirements and could select a completely different option for their unique circumstances."
I couldn't have said it better myself.
Leasing high-end vehicles and electric cars is totally my jam. Still, I get it - buying or financing might be a better choice for some folks depending on their needs, budget, family situation, position in life, and goals. It's a good problem to have - debating the trivial aspects of leasing and buying while others are trying to figure out which bill to skip. Let's not forget how lucky we are and be grateful for it, shall we?

"Choosing the right choice is like finding the perfect pair of shoes - it only fits if it's the right size and feels comfortable. Otherwise, you'll be walking around with blisters and regret."
The following users liked this post:
nath_h (11-11-2023)
Old 11-10-2023, 05:28 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
EQS
Originally Posted by fgwinn
Leasing in Pennsylvania is a little less nice than most other States. Here the State gets an extra 3% above the regular Sales Tax rate on the value of the lease payments.

Yeah, that's another reason leasing in Maryland is almost non-existent. They tax the entire value of the vehicle in the lease; not just the portion of the depreciation of the asset. This means someone who buys out the car at the end of the lease already pre-paid taxes, but otherwise makes the lease very unattractive.
GrayA (06-26-2024)
Old 11-18-2023, 12:22 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
lexus
Originally Posted by dpm7471
I went to the dealership to look at a new EQS and EQS SUV. Dealer wiling to do invoice minus the $2500 cash back on a buy. $7500 towards the lease. I went on Autotrader and other online car buying sites and noticed the 2022 used EQS’s are listed in the high 70’s, low 80’s. That’s a big depreciation. It has me re-thinking if I want to but a new or used.

Does anyone know if there are any other discounts that are available at the dealership? Any help appreciated.
I just bought mine (CPO, 1200 miles) for $30,000 less than MSRP. High end MB are not the car to buy if you are concerned about losing money--100% we will all lose a ton of money, but we get to drive a really cool car.

Last edited by DeanMassy; 11-18-2023 at 12:47 PM.
HBerman (12-16-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 03:06 PM

23 EQS 450 4matic sedan
Originally Posted by DeanMassy
High end MB are not the car to buy if you are concerned about losing money--100% we will all lose a ton of money, but we get to drive a really cool car.
Your observations are relatively spot-on, although a bit more explicitness IMO would reinforce your prevailing sentiment. Generally, most high-end luxury cars, including Mercedes-Benz, aren't the best investment. However, there is at least one exception: the MB G-Class. According to a recent iSeeCars report, the G-Class has the lowest three-year depreciation of ANY car in ANY class. Even after five years and 12,000 miles, it still retains 23% of its original price tag.

I completely agree with your statement that almost all BUYERS will likely lose a significant amount of money, especially when it comes to the EQS. But, as you rightly pointed out, the most important thing is that we get to drive an incredibly cool car - and that's something that can't be quantified by mere dollars and cents! (But I will most assuredly try!)

https://www.exclusivemotorcarsmd.com...eciation-rates

(Even the Model S makes an appearance in the following list)
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/5-lux...y%20or%20class.
nath_h (11-21-2023)
Old 11-21-2023, 12:59 AM

23' EQS AMG
Originally Posted by J_Boxer
Your observations are relatively spot-on, although a bit more explicitness IMO would reinforce your prevailing sentiment. Generally, most high-end luxury cars, including Mercedes-Benz, aren't the best investment. However, there is at least one exception: the MB G-Class. According to a recent iSeeCars report, the G-Class has the lowest three-year depreciation of ANY car in ANY class. Even after five years and 12,000 miles, it still retains 23% of its original price tag.

I completely agree with your statement that almost all BUYERS will likely lose a significant amount of money, especially when it comes to the EQS. But, as you rightly pointed out, the most important thing is that we get to drive an incredibly cool car - and that's something that can't be quantified by mere dollars and cents! (But I will most assuredly try!)

https://www.exclusivemotorcarsmd.com...eciation-rates

(Even the Model S makes an appearance in the following list)
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/5-lux...y%20or%20class.
Watch this before you think the g wagon is the least depreciated vehicle. 11 days ago.
MBNUT1 (11-22-2023)
Old 11-21-2023, 03:15 AM

23 EQS 450 4matic sedan
https://youtu.be/54S6cs5EsAk?si=eVa6eY76heAHrzXK
Watch this before you think the g wagon is the least depreciated vehicle. 11 days ago.
DeanMassy's post suggested that high-end Mercedes-Benz cars are not a good investment if you're concerned about losing money, and I wholeheartedly agree. However, I wanted to highlight that at least one anomaly in the Mercedes-Benz world goes against this assessment. While it's true that many luxury cars depreciate quickly, there are exceptions. My point is to draw attention to this potential rarity. Based on my fact-checking of a small sample size of current listings, I feel confident that I am not misrepresenting my post.

Based on current sales listings and taking into consideration the MSRP and current selling prices of 5-year-old G-Class SUVs with low mileage, including top-end trims starting at $225k and lower, my findings still hold up to my original conclusion. Even when looking at some higher mileage trims in this price range, my figures remain consistent, if not improved.

When comparing the depreciation rates between a low-depreciating G-Wagon and a high-depreciating EQS, it is clear that the two vehicles have vastly different outcomes. While the G-Wagon maintains its value well over time, the EQS experiences an extreme drop in value. It should be noted that the examples given earlier were provided for informational purposes only and were not intended to be compared with the 15-year-old vehicles mentioned in the video you shared. Please let me know if I've overlooked or misunderstood anything, as I'm not infallible.

https://www.autoblog.com/cars-for-sa...model1-g-class

Last edited by J_Boxer; 11-21-2023 at 03:20 AM.
Old 11-21-2023, 06:26 AM

Received 346 Likes on 216 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
DeanMassy's post suggested that high-end Mercedes-Benz cars are not a good investment if you're concerned about losing money, and I wholeheartedly agree. However, I wanted to highlight that at least one anomaly in the Mercedes-Benz world goes against this assessment. While it's true that many luxury cars depreciate quickly, there are exceptions. My point is to draw attention to this potential rarity. Based on my fact-checking of a small sample size of current listings, I feel confident that I am not misrepresenting my post.

Based on current sales listings and taking into consideration the MSRP and current selling prices of 5-year-old G-Class SUVs with low mileage, including top-end trims starting at $225k and lower, my findings still hold up to my original conclusion. Even when looking at some higher mileage trims in this price range, my figures remain consistent, if not improved.

When comparing the depreciation rates between a low-depreciating G-Wagon and a high-depreciating EQS, it is clear that the two vehicles have vastly different outcomes. While the G-Wagon maintains its value well over time, the EQS experiences an extreme drop in value. It should be noted that the examples given earlier were provided for informational purposes only and were not intended to be compared with the 15-year-old vehicles mentioned in the video you shared. Please let me know if I've overlooked or misunderstood anything, as I'm not infallible.

I've wondered previously, and now again, if buying a new 911 and using it as a daily driver might be paradoxically one of the cheaper cars to drive among all cars. They (and a handful of other exotics) are unicorns when it comes to depreciation. But, for me it isn't about saving money--plus I'm getting too old to jump in and out of a car 6 inches off the ground (done that years ago in a daily driver 911).
MBNUT1 (11-22-2023)
Old 11-21-2023, 08:15 AM

23 EQS 450 4matic sedan
Originally Posted by nath_h
I've wondered previously, and now again, if buying a new 911 and using it as a daily driver might be paradoxically one of the cheaper cars to drive among all cars. They (and a handful of other exotics) are unicorns when it comes to depreciation. But, for me it isn't about saving money--plus I'm getting too old to jump in and out of a car 6 inches off the ground (done that years ago in a daily driver 911).
I love it when people speak in paradoxes. Doesn't it hurt so good? LOL

Regarding cars, people tend to prioritize either the cost or the enjoyment factor. However, in my case, I choose to emphasize both aspects of my vehicle. I absolutely love the EQS, regardless of how much it costs, but the fact that I got a great deal makes it even sweeter. One of the reasons why I am so enamored with this EQS is that my insurance only increased by $40 for the entire year. Although a car that holds its value well would be more appealing, the level of depreciation was one of the factors that drew me in, as I am always on the lookout for a great deal that provides the experience I want. Even though my relationship with my EQS may be fleeting, much like love itself, I can always start anew when the time comes. Why digress when you can conflate?
Old 11-21-2023, 11:39 AM

23' EQS AMG

Listen to the part where he runs down the current Manheim prices (auction) for the g-wagon. Retail prices listing is not the complete picture since the transactions have not completed. Other websites puts the 911 as the least depreciated car historically. The price of 911 have "crashed" since the pandemic, but I think it has somewhat stabilized for the last couple of months or more to the pre-pandemic depreciation rate.
MBNUT1 (11-22-2023)
Old 11-21-2023, 12:44 PM

23 EQS 450 4matic sedan
Listen to the part where he runs down the current Manheim prices (auction) for the g-wagon. Retail prices listing is not the complete picture since the transactions have not completed. Other websites puts the 911 as the least depreciated car historically. The price of 911 have "crashed" since the pandemic, but I think it has somewhat stabilized for the last couple of months or more to the pre-pandemic depreciation rate.
To better understand your perspective, I would like to ask for clarification on whether you are referring to the accuracy and relevance of the information cited in the last 11 days or my indications of relevance to the online resources I am citing. It is important to specify whether we are discussing 911s or G-Wagons and whether we are referring to the last 11 days or the last few months. While G-Wagon sales listings were based on both three-year and five-year depreciation rates, there are various other factors that ultimately determine the sales outcomes. Although retail sales listings may not always be accurate in terms of the listed price versus the actual pricing being sold for, it stands to reason that if there are enough examples of similar statistics being sold for similar prices, it could be understood that the likelihood of those selling prices remaining consistent is high. However, higher trims and lower mileage will likely prevail to keep in line with much lower depreciation rates.

It is crucial to note that the primary point in the conversation was not a specific data point but more of an example. Therefore, it is important to acknowledge the obvious, cut through the speculation, and understand the original intent to arrive at a clear and objective conclusion.

Although I am not sure if we are on the same page anymore, I understand that you feel that the price of the 911 has crashed since the pandemic but has somewhat stabilized for the last few months, bringing it back in line with pre-pandemic depreciation rates. So does that mean that anything from that middle period can be disregarded? I'm not sure if I'm clear about this anymore. Here is an alternate suggestion: we could modify the original post by adding an asterisk and including a disclaimer that the information provided is solely for entertainment purposes, and should not be considered in the evaluation process for any actual deals.
#YMMV! #Blessed #NeedDramamine #WhotheHellCameUpWithThisShi*Anyways? #It'sTime4aNap!

Last edited by J_Boxer; 11-21-2023 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-13-2023, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 733 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Saw a certified 22 EQS 450+ with 40k miles AMG and Pinnacle listed for $51.5K

Last edited by MBNUT1; 12-13-2023 at 12:35 AM.
Old 12-13-2023, 05:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 405 Likes on 279 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
I was watching some YouBoob vids about used car prices crashing so decided to lookup what my EQE 500 SUV is going for used and was actually pleasantly surprised. I guess it's supply-side keeping prices elevated. Perhaps they used all the motors for the 500s in the new 2024 EQE AMG variants. I'm thinking maybe I should dump mine before the 2024 500's come out, though I guess they'll be cutting production of those too with EV demand being so low right now. Hmm...
Old 12-15-2023, 11:19 PM

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
GLC EQB GLS C300 convertible
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Saw a certified 22 EQS 450+ with 40k miles AMG and Pinnacle listed for $51.5K
saw that too. even with AMG line...

and on the market for 2 weeks now...

How much would this car cost next December? Like 30k?
MBNUT1 (12-16-2023)
Old 12-16-2023, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 785 Likes on 505 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by ILoveNY

i actually think we will see these flatten out for a bit as interest rates start to drop and the OPEC oil price increase starts to come in.
Old 12-16-2023, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Consumer Reports recent issue's reliability rating of the EQS won't do the resale value any favors.
Old 12-16-2023, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by ILoveNY

Thing is based on posts here, the dealer probably gave them $40K for it.
Old 12-16-2023, 07:12 PM

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
GLC EQB GLS C300 convertible
soon 2022 EQS 450 will be under 50k and SL55 under 100k... 2023 is a crazy year for these 2 models
MBNUT1 (12-16-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 06:30 AM

It seems other luxury cars are catching up to the beating luxury EV's have taken. I read an article yesterday about Range Rovers and their eye watering depreciation in the past year. At least some of it is blamed on the covid car supply shortage receding. While EV values have tanked, they are not going to $0...depreciation will settle down.
MBNUT1 (12-17-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 03:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C300
Loosing value yes, as there are a lot of issues... I am surprised that no one said a word about it. There are problems with the Main battery, charging, screen, doors, sudden braking/stops leading to towing and more. I looked at them and decided to keep tackling with my old w205 for another while. Now, you can get CPO EQS from 55-70K, depending on options and conditions. There are cheaper cars without the CPO out there. This would be 30-45% loss of value in the first year.
Old 12-30-2023, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Turbodoni
Loosing value yes, as there are a lot of issues... I am surprised that no one said a word about it. There are problems with the Main battery, charging, screen, doors, sudden braking/stops leading to towing and more. I looked at them and decided to keep tackling with my old w205 for another while. Now, you can get CPO EQS from 55-70K, depending on options and conditions. There are cheaper cars without the CPO out there. This would be 30-45% loss of value in the first year.
True. Just read an article yesterday about EV's and electrical problems. There are apparently lines of code in the hundreds of millions, and so many possibilities for something to go wrong. The article did not make clear why EV's have more problems that ICE cars, which presumably also have many lines of code. If you all haven't read about the Chevy Blazer EV debacle, it is worth a read--link below. I don't understand how a company as big as GM can roll a new flagship EV out the door with it barely working--surely they knew. Same goes for Ford and their EV problems with the Lightening.

What confuses me about EV's and inherent problems (at least based on personal experience) is the variation. It seems that an EV CAN be done well. My 2013 Ford C-max Energi--perfect, zero problems. Daughter's 2018 Ford Fusion Energi--perfect, no problems. Two BMW i3's--perfect, no problems. Jaguar I Pace--utter disaster and had to abandon. So far, MB EQS and EQB perfect.

I'll say again here to everyone keeping their cars long term, and I will--all the depreciation stories are interesting and make for good stories to click on, but it is irrelevant if you are keeping your car long term. My 2008 MB CL is now worth 7 cents on the dollar vs. its MSRP of like $120,000. All cars go way way down over time. Unless my EQB and EQS cease to work like my I Pace, I'll have them both until they are depreciated out, or possibly pass them on to my daughter & son-in-law if I want something new in 6-8 years. Of course an accident would derail this plan if totaled--that would be a huge bummer.

https://insideevs.com/news/702126/ul...orm-owners-gm/

Last edited by nath_h; 12-30-2023 at 06:43 AM. Reason: adding link
The following 2 users liked this post by nath_h:
MB37 (12-30-2023), MBNUT1 (12-30-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 11:33 AM

Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts
2005 SL 500. 2015 S550. 2016 GLE400 2018 S560
So much for Motor Trends 2024 SUV of the year.
Old 12-30-2023, 04:31 PM

23' EQS AMG
EV is the future in some form or fashion. I put my money where my mouth is, and I'm enjoying it. Now when that higher density energy pack can be retrofitted into these old lithium-ion based energy packs, I'll get it too. To me, contrary to my ICE family members, EV is a luxury. Buy one that is with the least problem, and enjoy the tech that will be in every vehicle in the future. If you are very concern about depreciation, don't get cutting edge technology.
The following 2 users liked this post by MB37:
enj (01-03-2024), MBNUT1 (12-30-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
EV's are game changers in terms of efficiency. Not going backwards in that regard.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Concerned about recent value drop on the EQS