EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Active Steering without Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 03:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
09 Aston Martin Vantage Roadster
Active Steering without Cruise Control

Is it possible to activate Active Steering independently of Adaptive Cruise Control so that I can control acceleration and braking while allowing the car to assist with steering?
Old 09-06-2023, 06:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 400 Likes on 275 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
Yes, buy a Genesis. In a Mercedes, no.
The following 2 users liked this post by Crito:
BenjaminKohl (09-06-2023), noobified (09-06-2023)
Old 09-06-2023, 07:28 AM

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
EQE350 SUV 4MATIC
Active Steering Assist is tied to Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC, and the symbol will been green when active. But even when DISTRONIC is off it seems to be working for me as the car does seem to follow lane markings. I do not think this activity is Active Lane Keeping Assist as that function alerts you of drift by vibrating the steering wheel and actions to guide the car back.
I am still leaning and assessing so could be mistaken.
Old 09-06-2023, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,724 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
No, this is possible in Hyundai/Kia/Genesis products and I really like it, but not possible with Distronic.
Old 09-06-2023, 01:03 PM

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
EQS
You have to turn on the cruise system but you don't have to set a speed, the active steering in mine seems to work either way as long as you have the cruise system enabled and car can detect lanes or the car in front.
Old 09-06-2023, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,568 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by sarhoshamiral
You have to turn on the cruise system but you don't have to set a speed, the active steering in mine seems to work either way as long as you have the cruise system enabled and car can detect lanes or the car in front.
That would contradict my experience as well as the owner's manual. DISTRONIC has to be activated. Activated means speed set as you can read in the DISTRONIC section of the owner's manual. Active Steering assist is only active if the steering wheel symbol in the instrument cluster is green. If it's gray, then it's turned on but passive.

Old 09-06-2023, 02:35 PM

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
EQS
I will have to try again, I wonder if I had a speed limit set (ie distronic is active) but I was also accelerating manually passing that limit. I remember active steering working when I was pushing the gas pedal but can't say for sure without trying it again now.
Old 09-06-2023, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
I will have to try again, I wonder if I had a speed limit set (ie distronic is active) but I was also accelerating manually passing that limit. I remember active steering working when I was pushing the gas pedal but can't say for sure without trying it again now.
Yes, as far as I remember if you override DISTRONIC with the throttle, Active Steering Assist stays active, even though DISTRONIC temporarily suspends. So, I suppose one possible workaround for OP would be to set a really low speed for DISTRONIC and then just override it with the throttle and pretend DISTRONIC isn't even active. Just remember that when coasting to a stop it will suddenly kick in again.
Old 09-06-2023, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
That is not correct.
Old 09-06-2023, 06:48 PM

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
08 GLK350, 10 E350, 12 R350, 14 CLA250, 18 E400 Coupe, 20 GLE580, 21 GLC43, 21 GLC300, 24 GLE53 SUV
Active steering works In my 24 GLE53 w/o cruise as long as I select that option in system. And it is very “gentle”. With CC it is more robust.
Old 09-06-2023, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by jonpom
Active steering works In my 24 GLE53 w/o cruise as long as I select that option in system. And it is very “gentle”. With CC it is more robust.
You are confusing Active Lane Keeping Assist and Active Steering Assist. Two different, but somewhat complementary systems.
Old 09-06-2023, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by jonpom
As was said above, you are describing lane keep /active steering assist not lane centering which is only available when Distronic is set. You will have a green steering wheel on the display when lane centering with distronic is active, and you cannot have that without distronic set.
Old 09-06-2023, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by superswiss
Yes, as far as I remember if you override DISTRONIC with the throttle, Active Steering Assist stays active, even though DISTRONIC temporarily suspends. So, I suppose one possible workaround for OP would be to set a really low speed for DISTRONIC and then just override it with the throttle and pretend DISTRONIC isn't even active. Just remember that when coasting to a stop it will suddenly kick in again.
Yes, you can set the speed of DISTRONIC to something low and override it with the throttle temporarily without deactivating it. However, stepping on the brake peddle will. I guess setting the car to Strong Regeneration might help with not having to step on the brake peddle.

The reason I asked is because I rented a Kia and, as several have pointed out, it had active steering enabled while I controlled throttle and brakes. It's a great feature.
Old 09-07-2023, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by noobified
Yes, you can set the speed of DISTRONIC to something low and override it with the throttle temporarily without deactivating it. However, stepping on the brake peddle will. I guess setting the car to Strong Regeneration might help with not having to step on the brake peddle.

The reason I asked is because I rented a Kia and, as several have pointed out, it had active steering enabled while I controlled throttle and brakes. It's a great feature.
As I understand it what Kia has is Lane Keep Assist with different alert levels. In its highest setting it provides frequent feedback to help correct steering and prevent lane drift. That's not the same as MB's Active Steering Assist. LKA only takes the lane markers into consideration. MB's Active Steering Assist also takes other cars into consideration and can actually steer the car outside of its lane if necessary for example if the traffic has to snake around an accident or something.

Sounds like you are asking for a more intrusive Lane Keeping Assist. The MB Lane Keeping Assist will only intervene once you get close to the lane markers and will quite abruptly yank the car back into its lane. Kia's approach is essentially softer. Audi's LKA is similar in that it also proactively steers the car back into its lane. I quite detest that kind of LKA as it constantly messes with the steering when I'm driving. I've turned off LKA actually as when I'm driving I don't need an assist to stay in my lane. I've also had an Audi rental in Europe last summer and LKA was super annoying as it got confused at road forks and road constructions, fighting me when I was trying to follow the correct lane. It was more dangerous than anything. I guess if I want the car to do some of the driving, then I do a controlled handover to DISTRONIC and active steering, but if I'm operating the peddles, then I'm operating the whole car and I don't want a computer to fight my steering input.

Last edited by superswiss; 09-07-2023 at 12:31 AM.
Old 09-07-2023, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by superswiss
As I understand it what Kia has is Lane Keep Assist with different alert levels. In its highest setting it provides frequent feedback to help correct steering and prevent lane drift. That's not the same as MB's Active Steering Assist. LKA only takes the lane markers into consideration. MB's Active Steering Assist also takes other cars into consideration and can actually steer the car outside of its lane if necessary for example if the traffic has to snake around an accident or something.

Sounds like you are asking for a more intrusive Lane Keeping Assist. The MB Lane Keeping Assist will only intervene once you get close to the lane markers and will quite abruptly yank the car back into its lane. Kia's approach is essentially softer. Audi's LKA is similar in that it also proactively steers the car back into its lane. I quite detest that kind of LKA as it constantly messes with the steering when I'm driving. I've turned off LKA actually as when I'm driving I don't need an assist to stay in my lane. I've also had an Audi rental in Europe last summer and LKA was super annoying as it got confused at road forks and road constructions, fighting me when I was trying to follow the correct lane. It was more dangerous than anything. I guess if I want the car to do some of the driving, then I do a controlled handover to DISTRONIC and active steering, but if I'm operating the peddles, then I'm operating the whole car and I don't want a computer to fight my steering input.
Come to think of it, you're right. I recall the LKA light being on while the steering wheel icon light was off and the car still actively steered, or at least kept the car in the lane. I agree that the EQS' LKA is much less intrusive than the Kia's.

​​
Old 09-07-2023, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by noobified
Come to think of it, you're right. I recall the LKA light being on while the steering wheel icon light was off and the car still actively steered, or at least kept the car in the lane. I agree that the EQS' LKA is much less intrusive than the Kia's.

​​
You're recalling different systems. LKA will help keep the car in the lane but it won't steer for you and smoothly keep the car in the center of the lane.

Issue is as soon as you take your foot off the gas it will slam on the brakes to bring it down to the set speed, and it will display a n override message every time you depress the accelerator.

Best to just accept that the feature doesn't work that way