Traded my 2022 EQS 580+

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 784 Likes on 504 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by MB37
Politicians push agendas from lobbyists. Follow the money, and it should answer most if not all of our questions why the government is pushing EV and why it is popular and for the moment and getting some backlash. In the grand scheme, a combination of tech purest bought into the tech from Tesla, and a few bought EV because they thought it was better for the climate. Then the politicians jumped in and sold it to everyone who would believe them. A lot of noise come and go.

I bought (not lease) an EV because I believe in the technology as it exist today and not because I think the infrastructure is going to get better, not because it will remain cheaper per mile driven (energy wise). The inherent technology of electric motor vs. ICE as a land propulsion is more efficient. I look at my childhood RC hobbies. If consumers actually evaluate their transportation needs, they will know if an EV is in the cards for them.

Pushing the climate issue, the infrastructure issue, and the range issue with EV is getting old. If you have those issues, don't get an EV. You're not ready for it, or to put it nicely, an EV may not meet your transportation needs.
TBH I don't think politicians are pushing EVs. They are supporting EVs but not pushing them. People are buying EVs because they are better vehicles. I often find ICE owners asking about my car, and most of them aspirationaly want an EV, Because they know they have advanced tech, they are fast and fun to drive, and they cheap to refuel.

There are 3 barriers to adoption -some people don't have a place to charge (large group), price (large group) or drive very high miles for which battery tech is not practical (small group). Of these 1 and 3 are hard to solve, but there is a large group who would get an EV at price parity. They aren't at price parity now and it's hard to justify buying one.
The following users liked this post:
AppleFan1 (03-26-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 474 Likes on 351 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
The safest purchase in EVs are going to be Mercedes, VW/Audi/Porsche, Hyundai/KIA/Genesis, BMW, Ford, GM and Toyota. Everyone else is at risk including Tesla.

That said I think Rivian has a good shot because they have high market share. The R1T and R1S are both Top 10 best selling EVs. The R1S outsells the Model X which I think is a sign that the R2 could top the Model Y as the best selling EV overall. They aren't wasting time on sports cars, sedans and things that don't sell.
I really really hope Rivian succeeds and hopefully Amazin possibly buying it will help but at the moment Rivian is precariousy close to bankrupcy. A family member who is close with Rivian says their products are great but the company is run in a really poor way and has plenty of malpractices. Super unfortunate.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 400 Likes on 275 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
I'm tired of listening to loser CEOs whine about consumers and the market. Some EV manufacturers get it. I still might trade my EQE 500 SUV in for a Porsche EV (if not a Lotus Eletre, that is):

Last edited by Crito; 03-26-2024 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-26-2024, 11:02 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe, 2016 Audi A6 3.0
Originally Posted by BenjaminKohl
I really really hope Rivian succeeds and hopefully Amazin possibly buying it will help but at the moment Rivian is precariousy close to bankrupcy. A family member who is close with Rivian says their products are great but the company is run in a really poor way and has plenty of malpractices. Super unfortunate.
Financially, Rivian and Lucid are not in good shape.

“U.S. automakers lose roughly $6,000 on every $50,000 EV they sell in America, according to a new report from analyst firm Boston Consulting Group (BCG). That figure comes hotly on the heels of similar sky-high losses from companies like Rivian and Lucid. Earlier this year, Rivian revealed that it lost $33,000 on every truck sold, while Lucid topped that figure with its eye-watering $400,000 losses on each car sold.
Rivian said on Wednesday it expected to post its first gross profit in the fourth quarter, after it reported a loss of about $43,000 per vehicle in the October-December period.
In comparison, Ford's Model E electric vehicle division lost an average of more than $47,000 per vehicle in the same period.
Old 03-26-2024, 11:09 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe, 2016 Audi A6 3.0
Originally Posted by streborx
I have nothing against EVs, but the technology and supporting infrastructure are still a ways away from primetime. A complete transportation makeover by 2030 is unlikely. The politics annoy me, however. Why do EV buyers need a tax incentive? Why do a dozen makers of luxury brands believe churning out a few thousand vehicles, costing well into six figures and affordable by only the upper 2% of wealth holders, will make a measurable impact on the climate? Why can climate objectives be met only with EVs produced domestically, so imports are hit with punitive taxes? Why do buyers need to experience absurd and mostly unusable 0 - 60 mph acceleration times to be happy with their purchase? The objectives and the solutions being offered seem to be mismatched right now, so I plan to hang on to my sluggish ICE for a few more years.
Much electricity is produced by coal. I remember a news segment in Detroit whereby GM was touting an EV and they had a manager from the local power company. When asked by the reporter how a majority of their electricity was produced, his sheepishly delayed response was coal. So much for climate concerns.
Old 03-26-2024, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 726 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Politicians push agendas from lobbyists. Follow the money, and it should answer most if not all of our questions why the government is pushing EV and why it is popular and for the moment and getting some backlash. In the grand scheme, a combination of tech purest bought into the tech from Tesla, and a few bought EV because they thought it was better for the climate. Then the politicians jumped in and sold it to everyone who would believe them. A lot of noise come and go.

I bought (not lease) an EV because I believe in the technology as it exist today and not because I think the infrastructure is going to get better, not because it will remain cheaper per mile driven (energy wise). The inherent technology of electric motor vs. ICE as a land propulsion is more efficient. I look at my childhood RC hobbies. If consumers actually evaluate their transportation needs, they will know if an EV is in the cards for them.

Pushing the climate issue, the infrastructure issue, and the range issue with EV is getting old. If you have those issues, don't get an EV. You're not ready for it, or to put it nicely, an EV may not meet your transportation needs.
Don't understand the point of your climate references.
Old 03-26-2024, 02:46 PM

Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts
23' EQS AMG
A few persuasive tree huggers thought that because the EV doesn't produce carbon while you are driving, but the reality is that the carbon was produced in creating the electricity that enables your EV to move. Essentially, you are simply displacing your carbon foot print or handing it off to the electric company to decide how to produce the electricity (coal, wind, solar, NG, etc.) you use. Hence, buying an EV is like the "not in my backyard" argument. I, personally, would not make an argument that my EV keeps our planet cleaner than you driving a 1.6L ICE or a hybrid. However, as a neighbor, I can say that I'm not producing carbons or noise pollution in our neighborhood.
Old 03-26-2024, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
A few persuasive tree huggers thought that because the EV doesn't produce carbon while you are driving, but the reality is that the carbon was produced in creating the electricity that enables your EV to move. Essentially, you are simply displacing your carbon foot print or handing it off to the electric company to decide how to produce the electricity (coal, wind, solar, NG, etc.) you use. Hence, buying an EV is like the "not in my backyard" argument. I, personally, would not make an argument that my EV keeps our planet cleaner than you driving a 1.6L ICE or a hybrid. However, as a neighbor, I can say that I'm not producing carbons or noise pollution in our neighborhood.
That perspective is not correct because it ignores two things:
1) An ICE wastes a lot of energy. Only about 20% of the energy produced by an ICE engine is used. The rest is waste - over production for instance when idling, braking, etc. you are burning energy which an EV doesn't use. In fact during braking an EV recovers energy.
2) The thermal efficiency of a power plant is vastly superior to an internal combustion engine because the scale of it enables better heat to energy conversion with less thermal energy loss.

So the EV is getting more efficiently produced energy, and it is also using that energy more efficiently than an ICE vehicle. Efficiency means less fuel used, aka less CO2.
The following 4 users liked this post by stealth.pilot:
AppleFan1 (03-26-2024), dangitty (03-27-2024), finlayson (03-26-2024), MBNUT1 (03-26-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 04:50 PM

Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts
23' EQS AMG
1) An ICE wastes a lot of energy. Only about 20% of the energy produced by an ICE engine is used. The rest is waste - over production for instance when idling, braking, etc. you are burning energy which an EV doesn't use. In fact during braking an EV recovers energy.
2) The thermal efficiency of a power plant is vastly superior to an internal combustion engine because the scale of it enables better heat to energy conversion with less thermal energy loss.

So the EV is getting more efficiently produced energy, and it is also using that energy more efficiently than an ICE vehicle. Efficiency means less fuel used, aka less CO2.
I hear what you are saying, but there's an army of counterpoints when it comes to the full equation of CO2 production for EV vs. ICE, and that's just talking about the product lifecycle. I agree that efficiency is key, and EV does have the edge over ICE. But I'd rather not make it my point as the reason I got an EV.
Old 03-26-2024, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 726 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Lets compare a 2022 S580 vs EQS580. and using a local in Dudley0776 coal burning SW Florida like Naples zip 34102.

The grams / mile of CO2 including upstream is 564 for the S580 vs 152 for the EQS580. So for all of the reasons stated above the EV results in 1/3 the emissions per mile than it's equivalent ICE.

Ok now given that the manufacturing the battery requires more CO2 than a gas car where is the breakeven point?

Per a Mckinsey analysis it takes 100 Kg per KWH of battery so doing the math it will take 26214 miles for the EQS to pay back the battery in CO2 against the S580. From that point on the above reduction in emissions applies.

All of this assumes that renewable energy is not be used to produce the battery or provide the EV with electricity which isn't possible with the ICE powered vehicle.
Old 03-26-2024, 10:26 PM

Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts
No Mercedes yet

Plus, a lot of electricity generation doesn't emit carbon at all. This varies a lot, depending on your location. But even within the US, there's a lot of variation. For example, on the West Coast a lot of electricity is generated by hydro. Whereas in the Midwest, you'll probably see more coal-based power stations.
AppleFan1 (04-21-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 07:08 AM

Received 342 Likes on 213 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by finlayson
Plus, a lot of electricity generation doesn't emit carbon at all. This varies a lot, depending on your location. But even within the US, there's a lot of variation. For example, on the West Coast a lot of electricity is generated by hydro. Whereas in the Midwest, you'll probably see more coal-based power stations.
Lots of wind power in Iowa. I believe we are at 50%, with the occasional very windy day at 100%. 100% at my house with my solar panels
The following 2 users liked this post by nath_h:
AppleFan1 (04-21-2024), MBNUT1 (03-28-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by finlayson
Agree. Plus utilities are also investing in wind and solar.
Old 04-21-2024, 12:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E class
Tesla is still miles ahead of the competition.
They dominate the segment now and the distance will only continue to widen
🏆🏆🏆
Old 04-21-2024, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 302 Likes on 209 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by Fly by night
Tesla is still miles ahead of the competition.
They dominate the segment now and the distance will only continue to widen
🏆🏆🏆
First of all, giving you a like for a few minutes was an accident since I disagree with your statement. I very much doubt that Tesla will continue to distance the competition. The stock price has absolutely plummeted the past 6 months. Btw, I can’t stand their owner. I also think that a Tesla sucks compared to the EQS.

Last edited by AppleFan1; 04-21-2024 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-21-2024, 04:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E class
Originally Posted by AppleFan1
First of all, giving you a like for a few minutes was an accident since I disagree with your statement. I very much doubt that Tesla will continue to distance the competition. The stock price has absolutely plummeted the past 6 months. Btw, I can’t stand their owner. I also think that a Tesla sucks compared to the EQS.
Just for clarification TSLA stock price is still up 50% since 2022 when it dropped to $102
and stock price has nothing to do with their software.
I’ll add a a rebuttal
it’s called an opinion… and I like mine, just like you like yours it’s all good 👍

Apple stock is down 15-% this year….. does it mean anything ? having previously owned an EQS I agree it’s a pretty solid car overall.
I just prefer ICE Benz vehicles over their EV platform

From car & driver reviews ….

Last edited by Fly by night; 04-21-2024 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-21-2024, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 400 Likes on 275 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
I find Tesla and Apple to be very similar actually. They both make great software. I just feel like I have to buy into their entire "ecosystem". I can't like tip my toes into those waters. I'll probably end up getting a Tesla solar roof and Tesla insurance too.

And BTW Steve Jobs was really quite the butthole actually... was reading an article where the Shark Tank guy "Mr. Wonderful" was reminiscing about working with him. :rofl:

"He was not a nice guy. He would walk into a room and absolutely berate everybody in there,"
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/kevin...183332785.html
Fly by night (04-21-2024)