EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Windward paint spray from neighbour!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 EQA AMG Version
Unhappy Windward paint spray from neighbour!

A neighbour up the road had his front gates spray painted a couple of days ago and the wind has carried some of it in mist form over my car (yes, the one I picked up 2 weeks ago!). I've managed to clean all of the glass with a razor blade gadget which has worked well (3 hours for windows, mirrors and sunroof). I don't believe I can use the blade on the paint (in fact, I'm pretty sure I can't). On a tiny square of paint, I've tried glass cleaner, normal car wash stuff, a Mr. Magic pad and then baking soda all to no avail. Next will be diluted nail polish remover, paint thinner and ?... Anyone any ideas? I could possibly go to a detailer but if there's a simpler way that somebody has experience of, I'm all ears. I can order a clay bar online (the car shops in Portugal don't tend to carry this stuff!) but not sure if this will do it...
Old 05-13-2024, 02:10 PM

Received 160 Likes on 102 Posts
23' EQS AMG
First, you can tell your neighbor's contractor that you want to file a claim or be compensated for the damage. Start out cordial. If they play ignornance,sue them in small claims court if your State provides for it.A "good detailer" should get airborne paint droplets from the clear clearcoat, but keep in mind that your clearcoat will inevitably be thinned due to using a light polishing compound or rubbing compound depending on how big the droplets are on your clearcoat and how stubborn it it.

How close was the paint job to your vehicle? I despise careless contractors (and there are many of them), and I absolutely stick it to them if they are careless and will not do anything about it. Call me OCD. Call me tight-***, call me whatever you want. Disregard for other people's property is a blantant disrespect for other people. Period. Again, be cordial but if they don't accept responsibility, stick it to them.

Last edited by MB37; 05-13-2024 at 02:12 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by MB37:
OldManAndHisCar (05-14-2024), ScottC2 (05-13-2024), stealth.pilot (05-16-2024), Utopia Texas (05-14-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,122 Likes on 734 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Try using diesel and a clay bar. Diesel is a great solvent and the clay bar will not scratch. This combo will clean ANYTHING! AND.... should not harm the paint.
Old 05-13-2024, 03:20 PM

23' EQS AMG
Originally Posted by c4004matic
Try using diesel and a clay bar. Diesel is a great solvent and the clay bar will not scratch. This combo will clean ANYTHING! AND.... should not harm the paint.
I second the clay bar as long as the droplets haven't been set in too long. I once had a shop repaint a small area on my front bumper, and the overspray got onto my rims. A few days later, I used clay bar and elbow power to remove the overspray. Since your car is quite new, it already has a coat of wax or ceramics from factory, and should repel things easier.
Old 05-13-2024, 04:50 PM

2021 EQA AMG Version
Thanks, will obtain a clay bar!
Old 05-13-2024, 04:55 PM

2021 EQA AMG Version
Originally Posted by MB37
First, you can tell your neighbor's contractor that you want to file a claim or be compensated for the damage. Start out cordial. If they play ignornance,sue them in small claims court if your State provides for it.A "good detailer" should get airborne paint droplets from the clear clearcoat, but keep in mind that your clearcoat will inevitably be thinned due to using a light polishing compound or rubbing compound depending on how big the droplets are on your clearcoat and how stubborn it it.

How close was the paint job to your vehicle? I despise careless contractors (and there are many of them), and I absolutely stick it to them if they are careless and will not do anything about it. Call me OCD. Call me tight-***, call me whatever you want. Disregard for other people's property is a blantant disrespect for other people. Period. Again, be cordial but if they don't accept responsibility, stick it to them.
Completely get where you're coming from and if I was still living in the US, I'd definitely be doing what you suggest. However, this is Portugal and such (small) claims take up to 10 years with no real guaranteed result at the end. For the amount of hassle vs some elbow grease with (hopefully) a clay bar, I prefer the latter for now. Thanks though, I really appreciate the input
Old 05-13-2024, 06:35 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2023 EQS 580 Sedan
Originally Posted by gxprice
A neighbour up the road had his front gates spray painted a couple of days ago and the wind has carried some of it in mist form over my car (yes, the one I picked up 2 weeks ago!). I've managed to clean all of the glass with a razor blade gadget which has worked well (3 hours for windows, mirrors and sunroof). I don't believe I can use the blade on the paint (in fact, I'm pretty sure I can't). On a tiny square of paint, I've tried glass cleaner, normal car wash stuff, a Mr. Magic pad and then baking soda all to no avail. Next will be diluted nail polish remover, paint thinner and ?... Anyone any ideas? I could possibly go to a detailer but if there's a simpler way that somebody has experience of, I'm all ears. I can order a clay bar online (the car shops in Portugal don't tend to carry this stuff!) but not sure if this will do it...

Buy a clay bar kit. Do not use any solvent as it could your damage paint. These self-contained kits include all you need. Tried it on a black car with red overspray. Took all of it off very easily.

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-14-2024, 05:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 732 Likes on 547 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
CLAY BAR for sure as that is one of the things it was invented for in body shops.

CLAY MAGIC IMO the original and the best IMHO.
Old 05-14-2024, 07:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG EQS
This just happened to me last week in the Orlando Airport Parking garage! I’m estimating $50,000 plus to repaint the whole car and replace all plastic parts like the mirrors, front facia, etc. The car is $170,000 and three months old! I am sick over it. I filed a claim with the airport, but the wait is killing me. I am looking for an attorney to be proactive and stay ahead of this. It has the matte paint. The kind that can’t be polished, waxed, etc. The entire car is covered in paint overspray.

Old 05-14-2024, 08:57 AM

Received 251 Likes on 187 Posts
W212 E63S Wagon - GSL580 - E63 - E350 - C300
Yep, you need a lawyer. I agree on the Clay bar...on PAINT. I have had the Claybar (contaminated) damaged plastic parts. Be careful with the gloss black plastic.
Old 05-14-2024, 04:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,523 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
I made the mistake of using some spray paint on small parts inside my garage and of course I was an idiot and I was lazy and I did move out the other two cars and they both got spray paint overspray on them and clay bar absolutely was able to get rid of all of the overspray

I also used stoner car care tar and sap remover for some of the more stubborn overspray, and it didn't affect the clearcoat and it was very helpful with the clay bar as well.... same as diesel fuel I believe as mentioned above

Last edited by PeterUbers; 05-14-2024 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:23 PM

23' EQS AMG
I don't know about clay bar on frozen paint or plastic parts.You definitely can't polish dull coats either.
Old 05-16-2024, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 849 Likes on 543 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580

I salute you. Without people like you there would be no accountability for any contractor.
Old 05-18-2024, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 412 Likes on 288 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Originally Posted by gxprice
Thanks, will obtain a clay bar!
DO NOT do this unless you know what you are doing! You likely will make it worse.
Go to a good detailer - they will buff it out. Unless the paint is Magno matte, it will come off.
Old 05-19-2024, 05:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E400 Sedan
no use clay bar tha is what it is for
Do wash car first then clay bar.
Heck you can clay bar while washing and still wet.
Wet car clean with shampoo mixture and soft mitt..
rinse
then soap car back up and clay bar folding often.
Read Direction on clay bar pack...
Makes paint super smooth since it PULLS out things stuck in paint.

Google RAIL DUST in CAR PAINT

Buff wax after if you want

Buffing will not remove overspray unless you use abrasives like cutting products

Check out AUTOPIA.org for detailing forum and plenty of thread on clay bar and how to do it and why.
Old 05-19-2024, 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 412 Likes on 288 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Clay bars are abrasive. If you don’t know how to use it, you can easily do more harm than good.
Old 05-20-2024, 07:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E400 Sedan
They are less abrasive then SWIRL mark removers and other paint cleaners.
And simple to use as washing a car.
first wash car real good.
then you canmake new batch of shampoo and water and use that as lube ensuring car remains wet and use shampoo/water mix as lube.
OR dry car and then spray with a quick detailer keeping surface wet where you rub clay bar.

Do not drop or touch anything dirty and keep on paint and metal plated parts like chrome.
Every clay bar package I have seen comes with good instructions.

The pros product from Auto Magic comes ina variety of colors and properlties:
Home - ITW Auto Magic

Finest one -
PTB_CM22000_Clay_Magic_BLUE_1_2015_EN.pdf (automagic.com)

They also have RED, PURPLE, GREY and a Polymer versions.
Also they make a Liquid version but not sure how well it will work with overspray.:
52 - Liquid Clay Decon™ Color-Changing Decontaminant - ITW Auto Magic

The other ones you will find at auto parts store and Wal Mart will be very mild and made for the DIY person.

If you shop around you will also find these new fancy "CLAY" sponges which are not clay but a special sponge thingy with a special surface which does a sililar thing - grabs contamiantes or overspray and pulls it out or off paint.
Detailer's Domain Clay Sponge - Detailer's Domain (detailersdomain.com)
Advanced rubber polymer technology, which replaces the use of clay bars. It safely and easily removes paint over spray, water spots, fresh tree sap, rail dust and other bonded surface contaminants from the surface of automotive paint and glass.

Little trick to see if you should clay is clean and dry car.
Get cellophane (clear plastic on cigarette pack or your wifes Saran Wrap.
put the plastic on your finger tips and gently feel paint thru plastic.
Theplastic heightens yoru sense of feel and if it feels super smooth you are good but if you feel little bumps or texture - time to paint.

This is not for MATTE paint which looks great but a PIA to take care of and requires different methods and products.

Last edited by ygmn; 05-20-2024 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-20-2024, 07:40 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,795 Likes on 2,377 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
OP, there is something called Langka Blob Eliminator, it is basically a touchup paint kit similar to Dr. Color Chip but the "magic" is that blob eliminator which apparently removes any touchup paint and leaves oem paint intact, I wonder if the spray from the neighbour can be removed with this. https://www.langka.com/
Old 05-20-2024, 07:49 AM

2021 EQA AMG Version
Well, due to all of the great advice (for and against the clay bar approach), I decided to give it a go (in a less obtrusive area) and going easy with plenty of liquid. It was very successful so gradually increased the panels I worked on until the more prominent panels (hood and trunk)... The car is now 95% back to normal and nobody would notice there had been any kind of problem. It took 4 hours of back (and arm) breaking hard labor though!
Thanks again all, Gary.
Old 05-20-2024, 09:03 AM

Received 393 Likes on 273 Posts
13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
Great result. Now don’t forget to add back a nice protectant. The clay is a mild abrasive to be followed by correction or coating.
The following users liked this post:
gxprice (05-20-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 11:53 AM

23' EQS AMG
If you don't want to get it professionally detailed, you can use the spray on ceramic coating. There are a ton of them on the market, but chose Griot Garage spray ceramic. Easy on and easy to wipe off. The best ones are the ones that stay on there wash after wash. All of them will give you that slippery feel like wax, but they last longer than traditional wax.
Old 05-21-2024, 06:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E400 Sedan
glad to read.
PAint should be nice and smooth now and a good wax or sealant will go on easier and look better.

Send the bill to your neighbor!
Old 05-21-2024, 12:54 PM

23' EQS AMG
Now. How do we remove overspray from matte paint finish?
Old 05-21-2024, 01:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG EQS
Now. How do we remove overspray from matte paint finish?
I will let you know after this Friday. I have a detailer coming over who claims he can remove the paint overspray covering my entire car. It has the Selenite Mango Grey matte paint.

Old 05-21-2024, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,122 Likes on 734 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Surge
Clay bars are abrasive. If you don’t know how to use it, you can easily do more harm than good.
NOPE.
I've had 3 matte MB's, I clay them every year. The bar doesnt interact with the paint. Its koalin, an extraordinarily fine clay that basically absorbs prodiminantly oil and oil based residues, it wil not abrade or buff. In general, if you wash your car regularly, the only part of the car that needs clay is the lower side panels on the dors and so on. The lubricant used to work it simply serves to make it glide over the paint and do its thing. On caveat, if the goo stuck to the paint has an abrasive, sand for example, that particular "contaminant" must be removed manually. Fingernail usually works for me. So... have no fear, clay bar is perfectly safe on matte.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Windward paint spray from neighbour!