EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Switching back to ICE?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2024, 12:30 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
BMW 5 Series and BMW X3
Originally Posted by Lou B
I guess that after three-quarters of a century driving and ownership of roughly 40 cars, I'm still one of the few who has never cared a whit about performance - other than "Will it get me there safely?"
Sometimes to get you there safely, a certain level of performance is required to avoid or to get you out of situations.
Old 07-04-2024, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 297 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
Personally I ignore almost everything except the weather on fake TV news these days. And quite frankly I could care less about global warming -- what's the carbon footprint of a Merkava tank? But the amount of of boolsheet being spewed out of mainstream media nowadays is way over the top. Some of the corporate propaganda outlets are now even claiming EVs CAUSE global warming. Ridiculous!

The following users liked this post:
MBNUT1 (07-04-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 03:28 PM

Received 158 Likes on 93 Posts
Mercedes S560
Originally Posted by BobinIL
Sometimes to get you there safely, a certain level of performance is required to avoid or to get you out of situations.
Goes without saying - posting. Of course.
Completely different than "being a fan of performance."
Old 07-04-2024, 03:58 PM

Received 456 Likes on 287 Posts
2022 EQS 450+
Originally Posted by nath_h
I was reading this post and its animosity, and was thinking the same thing as you. Is it possible I can just enjoy my car independent of all the politically charged comments (how this become a political thing, I do not understand)? I like it. Others like their ice vehicles. So what. There's no need to prove anyone wrong for their preference.
I have owned many very nice cars, many of them very high performance. I have driven Circuit of the Americas many times. My EQS is the best vehicle I have ever owned. It is quiet, powerful, smooth, and efficient. It is luxurious, with a killer stereo. It is the perfect regional vehicle. It is cheap to operate (OK, expensive to buy....I don't care!) I will never go back to an ICE for me, but we do have a hybrid for my wife which we use to travel. I also do not understand politicizing or hate mongering. YMMV, for Pete's sake. I love my EQS!
The following 7 users liked this post by hlothery:
AppleFan1 (07-04-2024), LastOne (07-04-2024), LasVegas_89135 (07-05-2024), MB37 (07-06-2024), MBNUT1 (07-04-2024), nath_h (07-05-2024), TR-EQS (07-05-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-04-2024, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 815 Likes on 523 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by Lou B
I guess that after three-quarters of a century driving and ownership of roughly 40 cars, I'm still one of the few who has never cared a whit about performance - other than "Will it get me there safely?"
That is a measure of performance. When I say performance I use the phrase broadly. I mean how the car "performs" against the criteria people may care about, including:

1) Reliability - EVs are more reliable since there are less parts to fail. Cars like mine which have had 2 years with no issues will likely be bulletproof for the next 8-10 years or more. More reliable than an ICE car.

2) Safety - EVs are better built - the structural battery pack means they tend to perform better in crash tests. Also EVs are almost always fitted standard with life-saving anti-collision technology which ICE cars are not. I recently rented a BMW X3 from Sixt and was disappointed it was missing basic safety tech options which are standard in most EVs.

3) Convenience, EVs charge at home and require fewer visits to re-fuel.

4) Smoothness. EVs typically are much smoother. You don't have throttle lag, or gear changes which interrupt the smoothness of an ICE vehicle.

5) Acceleration. EVs accelerate faster than most ICE vehicles.

6) Handling. EVs typically handle better than ICE vehicles. While this may not be true for sports cars which already have a low center of gravity and also are lightweight, it is true for SUVs and pickup trucks where driving the legacy version feels downright dangerous in terms of handling. I drove a Ford Bronco recently and I was shocked how badly it handled cornering and felt it was a fundamentally poor handling and even dangerous vehicle.
The following 4 users liked this post by stealth.pilot:
AppleFan1 (07-04-2024), hlothery (07-05-2024), LasVegas_89135 (07-05-2024), MB37 (07-06-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 815 Likes on 523 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by MB2timer
MGUY Australia, a British engineer and lawyer, has studied EVs extensively. He doesn’t have anything nice to say about them.
Who cares? You act as if being a British engineer and lawyer means something. I am a British Oxford educated engineer, economist and business leader. and I have also studied EVs extensively and believe they are the best vehicles available right now. Your clown is no more qualified to assess this than I am.
The following 3 users liked this post by stealth.pilot:
AppleFan1 (07-04-2024), LasVegas_89135 (07-05-2024), TR-EQS (07-05-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 08:26 PM

Received 189 Likes on 155 Posts
SL63
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Who cares? You act as if being a British engineer and lawyer means something. I am a British Oxford educated engineer, economist and business leader. and I have also studied EVs extensively and believe they are the best vehicles available right now. Your clown is no more qualified to assess this than I am.
If that is the case, then “Who cares” applies to your opinion as well.
Old 07-05-2024, 08:46 AM

Received 366 Likes on 226 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
Geez everyone, behave! We're here to share and help each other. Can we just pretend for one thread that it is 1990 and most people generally respect each other and want the best for each other, except for the occasional whack job who everyone ignores? Would we say these things to each other in person? I'm not immune from previously being sucked into the vortex of online animosity, but I am growing tired of how this has done so much damage to our collective civility.
The following 6 users liked this post by nath_h:
AppleFan1 (07-05-2024), dangitty (07-05-2024), LastOne (07-05-2024), MB2timer (07-05-2024), MBNUT1 (07-05-2024), OldManAndHisCar (07-05-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-05-2024, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 297 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
It's almost like everyone has become selfish and self-centered and they don't care about 15,000 dead kids in Gaza. Why can't all the people in Gaza who are starving to death right now be more civil? I for one have had enough of their whining!
Old 07-05-2024, 09:10 AM

Received 230 Likes on 172 Posts
W212 E63S Wagon - GSL580 - E63 - E350 - C300
1) Reliability - EVs are more reliable since there are less parts to fail. Cars like mine which have had 2 years with no issues will likely be bulletproof for the next 8-10 years or more. More reliable than an ICE car.

Maybe. Probably not. I have seen MANY MANY failed EV. Plus, in general the folks who can afford to buy an EV can also afford to, and have the personality to maintain an EV. Mostly Tesla's when they are broken they pile up at a place near me where they are repaired. . This place (Electrified Garage) has been all over the internet and what not with upgrades and many famous YouTube car personalities being in their shop.

2) Safety - EVs are better built - the structural battery pack means they tend to perform better in crash tests. Also EVs are almost always fitted standard with life-saving anti-collision technology which ICE cars are not. I recently rented a BMW X3 from Sixt and was disappointed it was missing basic safety tech options which are standard in most EVs.

Come on now, lets talk physics. We have all known for decades "The truck wins". Being as and EV weighs FAR more than an ICE, EV wins the battle of kinetic energy and inertia. Being as every EV is newer and in general has more advanced features than most ICE on the road, of course, newer is better. For me, the adaptive breaking in my car(s) is one of the first things I disable.

3) Convenience, EVs charge at home and require fewer visits to re-fuel.

A very large percentage of the automotive owners do not have a garage, nor a place they can install a charger of their own. Certainly well over 70%. From there, myself as an example. In the driveway I have four MB V8's, an MB V6, an MB/Sprinter 6....what is my process to "fill them up" before a hurricane hits, knowing the grid WILL be out and knowing we already get brown outs when it is hot (over 100) and everyone has their AC on?

4) Smoothness. EVs typically are much smoother. You don't have throttle lag, or gear changes which interrupt the smoothness of an ICE vehicle.

You got me there ;-)

5) Acceleration. EVs accelerate faster than most ICE vehicles.

Yep, another win for the EV. But, at the track....I can go and go and go...stop, fill up, five minutes later...go and go and go....the EV's are going to be there a while (assuming "Full Tank" is the goal).

6) Handling. EVs typically handle better than ICE vehicles. While this may not be true for sports cars which already have a low center of gravity and also are lightweight, it is true for SUVs and pickup trucks where driving the legacy version feels downright dangerous in terms of handling. I drove a Ford Bronco recently and I was shocked how badly it handled cornering and felt it was a fundamentally poor handling and even dangerous vehicle.[/QUOTE]

Ford Bronco NEVER had good handling. Ever, not even off road. I mean, come on, your comparator is a Ford Bronco? That said, SUV's never not ever drove well. And, I still giggle at my neighbors "Track Hawk"....good thing he owns a chain of tire stores....

Last edited by OldManAndHisCar; 07-05-2024 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-05-2024, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Crito
It's almost like everyone has become selfish and self-centered and they don't care about 15,000 dead kids in Gaza. Why can't all the people in Gaza who are starving to death right now be more civil? I for one have had enough of their whining!

That is all? If I were POTUS I would have carpet bombed them for their corrupt Govts terrorist behaviors. Hell, even terrorist nations in their region will not help the terrorist people of Gaza. It would be more humane to "put them down"...but, back to cars.......

Wait, did I mention your EV sucks? Well, Crito, your EV sucks.
Old 07-05-2024, 10:42 AM

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
'19 AMG E53 Cpe, '23 EQS 580 SUV, '88 560SL, '35 Ford 5w coupe, '53 MGTD and others
Originally Posted by OldManAndHisCar
That is all? If I were POTUS I would have carpet bombed them for their corrupt Govts terrorist behaviors. Hell, even terrorist nations in their region will not help the terrorist people of Gaza. It would be more humane to "put them down"...but, back to cars.......

Wait, did I mention your EV sucks? Well, Crito, your EV sucks.
Until a month ago I lived in southern Israel ten miles north of Gaza. I can assure you that the IDF was bombing the sh*t out it. Steady small and large concussions.
Old 07-05-2024, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 298 Posts
EQ
We have both ICE and an EV. For my car, I am not going back, EV all day. My wife would disagree. One pedal driving has spoiled me to the point when I drive an ICE vehicle I get annoyed at having to use the brake pedal. No matter how it's powered, I am driving a Mercedes that I really enjoy.
The following 2 users liked this post by teksurv:
AppleFan1 (07-05-2024), GrayA (07-08-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by teksurv
We have both ICE and an EV. For my car, I am not going back, EV all day. My wife would disagree. One pedal driving has spoiled me to the point when I drive an ICE vehicle I get annoyed at having to use the brake pedal. No matter how it's powered, I am driving a Mercedes that I really enjoy.

Yeah, that second pedal...what a mess. I mean, back in the day some cars had FOUR! Yes FOUR pedals on the floorboard of the driver seat.....it is a wonder we made it this long....

MB2timer (07-05-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 298 Posts
EQ
Yes, you're 212 has that truly awful foot operated parking brake. I hated that on my E350. The sensor associated with it failed twice. However, I'm looking to add a fun car to the stable, something with a manual transmission. My preference for EV does not negate your preference for ICE. Something something get off my lawn.

Originally Posted by OldManAndHisCar
Yeah, that second pedal...what a mess. I mean, back in the day some cars had FOUR! Yes FOUR pedals on the floorboard of the driver seat.....it is a wonder we made it this long....

Old 07-06-2024, 01:11 AM

Received 158 Likes on 101 Posts
23' EQS AMG
For those that will not get an EV, or don't think EV is the future, what factors must occur that will change your mind? There won't be (in the foreseeable future) an energy pack the volume of a gallon of punch, as safe and environmentally friendly and packs the energy density of a mini nuclear reactor. Really, what must happen (factors) for EV to be sustainable and viable for your situation? Or do you see ICE for another 100 years?

Last edited by MB37; 07-06-2024 at 01:12 AM.
Old 07-06-2024, 03:24 AM

SL63
Originally Posted by MB37
For those that will not get an EV, or don't think EV is the future, what factors must occur that will change your mind? There won't be (in the foreseeable future) an energy pack the volume of a gallon of punch, as safe and environmentally friendly and packs the energy density of a mini nuclear reactor. Really, what must happen (factors) for EV to be sustainable and viable for your situation? Or do you see ICE for another 100 years?
A lot of the objections to EV have already been included in posts in this thread. I agree with them all, and more.
I don’t hate the idea of EV. I HATE the centralized planning, mandating, shoving it down the public’s throat, and gaslighting to try to get it installed into our culture very artificially.
I might be able to overlook all that if in addition to all the bad faith, the administration, deep state and the elite would press just as hard for full nuclear based electrical power. No wind, or solar until they are way more refined. Hydro is good as a backup.

Last edited by MB2timer; 07-06-2024 at 03:25 AM. Reason: -if
The following 2 users liked this post by MB2timer:
ILoveNY (07-06-2024), LAZARU5 (07-06-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 08:58 AM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQE350 SUV 4MATIC
Originally Posted by MB37
I am fully into the "will not go back camp". The factors that will move the masses to EV are:
1. New vehicle purchase price closer to a similar ICE (getting there for used)
2. Longer range on full charge equivalent to a full tank of gas
3. Less range drop-off in colder weather
4. Much more public chargers everywhere (chicken & egg situation)
5. Faster charging times
Items 2-5 are all range anxiety mindset issues for the majority of owners, and likely a non-issue for most with home charging.
The following 2 users liked this post by LastOne:
GrayA (07-08-2024), MBNUT1 (07-07-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,025 Likes on 743 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
The climate is an existential crisis for mankind. EV's are a net benefit for the climate especially if they are supplied with sustainable energy which is not even a possibility for ICE powered vehicles which in turn are clearly a detriment to the climate. Given that I don't understand why anyone would not embrace the transition to EV's.
Old 07-06-2024, 09:03 AM

SL63
Originally Posted by LastOne
I am fully into the "will not go back camp". The factors that will move the masses to EV are:
1. New vehicle purchase price closer to a similar ICE (getting there for used)
2. Longer range on full charge equivalent to a full tank of gas
3. Less range drop-off in colder weather
4. Much more public chargers everywhere (chicken & egg situation)
5. Faster charging times
Items 2-5 are all range anxiety mindset issues for the majority of owners, and likely a non-issue for most with home charging.
Range drops off in warm weather if the air conditioning is used.
Range drops off if there is substantial positive elevation change.
Range drops off precipitously if EV is used as tow vehicle.
Old 07-06-2024, 09:09 AM

SL63
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
The climate is an existential crisis for mankind. EV's are a net benefit for the climate especially if they are supplied with sustainable energy which is not even a possibility for ICE powered vehicles which in turn are clearly a detriment to the climate. Given that I don't understand why anyone would not embrace the transition to EV's.
The climate is NOT an existential crisis for mankind. Your first sentence says the opposite. “The climate is an existential crisis for mankind.”-Quote from MBNUT
Global warming might be able to be offered as an existential crisis.
Global climate change might arguably be termed an existential crisis for mankind.
More and more people are rejecting the cult and religion of climate change. Polls in the US have climate change concerns dropping out of the top 5, and are well under 50% of the populace who accept the alarmists.
Old 07-06-2024, 09:11 AM

EQE350 SUV 4MATIC
Range drops off in warm weather if the air conditioning is used.
Range drops off if there is substantial positive elevation change.
Range drops off precipitously if EV is used as tow vehicle.
Range also drops off for an ICE as well under these conditions, but maybe not to the same extent. An increase in efficiency in these areas of us with EV's will obviously help. But it is a trade-off that should be factored in.
GrayA (07-08-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
The climate is NOT an existential crisis for mankind. Your first sentence says the opposite. “The climate is an existential crisis for mankind.”-Quote from MBNUT
Global warming might be able to be offered as an existential crisis.
Global climate change might arguably be termed an existential crisis for mankind.
More and more people are rejecting the cult and religion of climate change. Polls in the US have climate change concerns dropping out of the top 5, and are well under 50% of the populace who accept the alarmists.
Ok I accept your pointing out my poor wording.
How about this? The addition of CO2 to the atmosphere by mankind's burning of fossil fuels combined with the decimation of the rain forests is creating a change to the climate which is an existential threat to mankind.

The remainder of my points hold.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 07-06-2024 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-06-2024, 09:44 AM

EQE350 SUV 4MATIC
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Ok I accept your pointing out my poor wording.
How about this? The addition of CO2 to the atmosphere by mankind's burning of fossil fuels combined with the decimation of the rain forests is creating a change to the climate which is an existential threat to mankind.

The remainder of my points hold.
It has been demonstrated that mankind in general does not give two hoots about climate or other fellow humans. Seems to be part of our nature. A small minority are trying to do their part and a mass change will only occur when there is a direct effect and impact on every individual.
MBNUT1 (07-06-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by LastOne
It has been demonstrated that mankind in general does not give two hoots about climate or other fellow humans. Seems to be part of our nature. A small minority are trying to do their part and a mass change will only occur when there is a direct effect and impact on every individual.
I hear you. Mankind is being subjected to a collective IQ test and apparently the average is quite low. That or the average is not empowered to control their destiny. I mean how much power does a Bangladeshi have?

Last edited by MBNUT1; 07-06-2024 at 09:54 AM.
nath_h (07-07-2024)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Switching back to ICE?