European Delivery of Your New Car Discuss the process and issues associated with European Delivery for non-Euro members.

Who's done an MB Euro Delivery?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 12:37 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2013 BMW 335i Msport, 2012 Mustang GT
Who's done an MB Euro Delivery?

Please join in and tell us about your experiences doing a Euro Delivery for your new Mercedes Benz. When did you go? What did you pick up? Where did you go on your trip/trips? Do you have any tips as to what to do and see in Stuttgart/Sindelfingen? Highlights, lowlights... Would love to hear it all. Thanks in advance for participating in the new forum!
Old 01-18-2016, 02:02 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
BMW 330i
Not my, but a nice video - Mercedes-Benz (EDP) European Delivery - CLA45 AMG

The following users liked this post:
Lurkerlisa (03-13-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CTSV, 335 vert
Yay! Glad to see an ED forum on the site.

My wife and I did ED in September 2015 and spent two weeks touring Germany and Austria.

It's a fun experience and you get to keep your European plates.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Gary From LA
Gary, even though it's not yours, it brings a good start to this thread and tells a good tale of one's ED trip. Very nice!
Old 01-18-2016, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by bk000

My wife and I did ED in September 2015 and spent two weeks touring Germany and Austria.

Thanks bk000. I look forward to seeing some photos and hearing a little more about your trip!
Old 01-18-2016, 06:53 PM

BMW 330i
Originally Posted by bk000

Hey Bk000.

Thanks for your notes.
I was one asking about September delivery after reading your notes.
P.S.
I posted notes from your another post here (I send you e-mail from Bimmerfest forum with permission request).
Old 01-20-2016, 04:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
FWIW, I've done three ED's. First was for an '81 300SD, the next an intervening long time, for a 2012 E350 Bluetec and the last for a GLK250 Bluetec. Quite a difference in the factory, the tours and the food in those intervening years.

Don't remember a great deal about the first one as I took delivery in the AM after the arrival in Stuttgart quite late, had early morning 'appointment' and took off immediately for points undetermined while still a zombie. Had no plans other than to drive thru Europe, seeing Switzerland and Paris and spending 3 or 4 weeks. Had a great time stumbling through everything and after a couple of weeks in France, Burgundy region and Paris, I had recalled enough of my high school and college French to converse quite freely with a non-English speaking taxi driver to the airport. After the first day in Paris I concluded driving there was not my cup of tea. I turned the car into the Paris agent and got around on foot mostly, and taxi's when necessary. By far the best choice and very similar to what I did with the GLK. Had a great experience with everything connected to Mercedes-Benz, a bit contrary to the experience in delivery of the GLK. That same first agent was no longer their rep there. I had made the 'mistake' of buying quite a bit of great French wine that first trip, when I found out from the consulate I could only return 2 bottles through Customs in New York. Tried to drink most of what I bought but it was just too much for two of us so I left almost two cases in the trunk of the car when I delivered it to the agent. Interestingly, I picked it up from the dock in Long Beach, CA some 6 weeks later and my wine was still there!!! There were many interesting adventures on this trip, all positive, and too many to mention here.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:38 PM

Hi Bob, thanks for the brief history of your EDs. I've got two questions for you now, and will probably have more questions as time goes on.

First, for your free night in a hotel, does MB give you a choice of hotels, or do they choose the hotel for you?

Second, How long does it typically take for MB to confirm a delivery date, once you've placed an order for the car?

Thanks in advance for any help on those.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:23 PM

I'm having problems with the forum. Some mouse and keyboard functions don't work.

Best I remember they gave you option of two hotels. Second trip I stayed in one with a German sounding name that was VERY good. Right across from the train station. Good enough that the third trip I stayed there again for several days, long enough to tour Heidelburg, the Sinsheim Museum, and both the Mercedes Museum and the Porsche Museum. Not great food in the area but good enough, particularly one right in the hotel complex.

I recall there was a wait for confirmation of the order in both instances. I ordered the E350 well ahead of time for delivery so the confirmation response was not an issue and I don't remember. The GLK was on a very tight time frame because of start of production and delivery I required for May 21. Best I remember is that my rep, a pretty competent guy, had the confirmation within the week on his computer.

On the second delivery three of us toured Southern France, Barcelona and the central area up to Paris where we delivered the car to some scuzz ***** at the airport. Typical French putting down Americans. I had misplaced or lost one document which I simply told him to confirm with the factory. He had us wait quite a time before I decided to just walk away and leave it in their hands. About that time he decided he could handle his problem in some other way after some 2 hours of sitting around. Thankfully they got rid of that agent for the last go around where 5 of us turned the car over to the agent in Nice. That was also a good experience as was the first. The last trip five of toured central Germany, Austria and wine country in Northern Italy, then to Monaco and Nice, from where we once again hit the Rhone Valley out of St. Remy and acquired some more wines. We flew out of Nice to Paris and then home. The last two cars went through their reception center in Long Beach and took a bit of time there for software updates, and some minor repairs to the GLK for some parking lot rash. When it was delivered it looked like the day it was delivered at the factory. Couldn't more highly recommend the experience.

The factory had changed significantly from the initial visit in the 80's. The food at the reception center was outstanding the second time, and just "very good" the last time. I can say the same for the technician that introduced us to the car. The guy on the E350 was outstanding with a great sense of humor. The last guy didn't know as much about the car as I did and was just making wages. Worthwhile experiences for a guy that wouldn't give a plug nickel for most things in Europe, except for the wines and the history.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:04 AM

Thanks Bob, so it looks like I'll have a choice from a couple of hotels.

I placed my order a week ago Saturday, but I don't think my SA submitted it until the following Monday or Tuesday. I guess I'll start pestering next week.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:55 AM

With all the time you have for delivery, just be patient. If you like I probably have a journal on my desktop computer that can give you the name of the hotel. I'm traveling now and working off a laptop so that details and names are from memory. You'll enjoy the experience, guaranteed!
Old 01-21-2016, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Bob338
With all the time you have for delivery, just be patient. If you like I probably have a journal on my desktop computer that can give you the name of the hotel. I'm traveling now and working off a laptop so that details and names are from memory. You'll enjoy the experience, guaranteed!
Thanks Bob. When you get the opportunity that would be great; then I'll be able to research the options before I make the choice. I've done two BMW EDs and have loved them both. Now I'm looking forward to something a little bit different, both in the car itself and in the delivery experience.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:03 AM

Here's another delivery video. I was hoping to find the owner (Spartacus Maximus) as a member here on ///MBWorld, but had no luck with that. He seemed to have a really great trip and the video is worth a view.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jenbaker
fantastic.

maybe you could share us more.
Lurkerlisa (03-13-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 11:01 AM

BMW 330i
Originally Posted by jenbaker
fantastic.

maybe you could share us more.
You can check YouTube channel of this person here - sure you can find more interesting video from his european tour.
or...
if this is your video - maybe you add few comments...
Lurkerlisa (03-13-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 06:30 PM

You can check YouTube channel of this person here - sure you can find more interesting video from his european tour.
or...
if this is your video - maybe you add few comments...
Gary, which video in particular is about European Delivery? Can you provide the link for the video?
Old 03-07-2016, 11:58 AM

BMW 330i
Originally Posted by mdsbuc

Gary, which video in particular is about European Delivery? Can you provide the link for the video?

My post #2 on this thread.

Originally Posted by Gary From LA View Post

Mercedes-Benz (EDP) European Delivery - CLA45 AMG - Part 1 - YouTube

Mercedes-Benz (EDP) European Delivery - CLA45 AMG - Part 2 - YouTube
Old 03-07-2016, 12:27 PM

My post #2 on this thread.
Ok, Great! Those are really good vids!