European Delivery of Your New Car Discuss the process and issues associated with European Delivery for non-Euro members.

German Zoll Tags

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 11:33 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2013 BMW 335i Msport, 2012 Mustang GT
German Zoll Tags

For anyone who has done a fairly recent MB ED, I've got a couple of questions about the Zoll plates that are on the car while you drive the car it in Europe.

1) How are the tags being attached to the car? On my last BMW delivery they were using double sided tape, which was much better than having holes drilled in the bumper as they were on my first delivery.

2) Are you able to retain at least one of the Zoll plates as a piece of memorabilia? How is this done? Do you need to take one off the car when you drop it off, or do you just need to make a request to your SA?

Thanks in advance for your response!

Old 01-29-2016, 03:29 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
BMW 330i
Originally Posted by mdsbuc
For anyone who has done a fairly recent MB ED, I've got a couple of questions about the Zoll plates that are on the car while you drive the car it in Europe.

1) How are the tags being attached to the car? On my last BMW delivery they were using double sided tape, which was much better than having holes drilled in the bumper as they were on my first delivery.

2) Are you able to retain at least one of the Zoll plates as a piece of memorabilia? How is this done? Do you need to take one off the car when you drop it off, or do you just need to make a request to your SA?

I saw in LA few MBZ with ED plates. Not as many as BMW, in fact from 2006 I saw only twice, few Volvos, Audi and plenty of BMW.

Last edited by Gary From LA; 01-30-2016 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Gary From LA
I saw in LA few MBZ with ED plates. Not as many as BMW, in fact from 2006 I saw only twice, few Volvos and plenty of BMW.
I see the bimmers here on occasion, not so much the others.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:18 AM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
no MBs at the moment :(

For my BMW ED, they just told me to take off the front one at drop-off and take it home with me. They needed the back one, but couldn't guarantee that someone wouldn't take it off before the car reached me in CA.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:11 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
BMW 330i
Originally Posted by CliffJumper
For my BMW ED, they just told me to take off the front one at drop-off and take it home with me. They needed the back one, but couldn't guarantee that someone wouldn't take it off before the car reached me in CA.
Yep, never see my rear plate in US. Had my front plate only.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:24 AM

I found this this morning in one of the many .pdf documents that I've received from MB EDP.

What can be left in car for ocean shipment:
You must leave the license plate on the vehicle. It is needed for return transport.
Marine Insurance only covers the equipment as listed on the Confirmation of Order/Invoice.
No other accessories or personal effects are covered during transport. Neither the shipping lines nor
U.S. Customs allow other items than listed on the Confirmation of Order/Invoice in the car.
This information is still a bit obscure, as the instructions talk about the license plates in the singular, while we know that the car comes with two plates.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
'17 S63A4, '13 CLS4M, '99 CLK320A

I've taken 3 EDP deliveries in the last 6 years, so I think I can help on the plate question.
MB will mount a US Plate backplate (as would be used in 2 plate states in the USA) to your car. The backplate will cause them to drill your front bumper. They are not open to compromise - since I live in a no front plate state, I've tried prior to every delivery with several alternative suggestions. Each suggestion was declined.

When your dealer delivers your car, both "export/German-Sales-tax-free plates" will be in your car. No special request is required.

Your plate will have 2 letters (BB-xxx) and probably 2 numbers/digits followed by a letter. The plate is roughly the same width (not height) as a USA plate. It will be considerably more narrow than the plate shown on this thread.

My next EPD is scheduled for mid-August this year.

Hope this helps.
Bill
The following users liked this post:
Lurkerlisa (04-16-2016)
Old 03-02-2017, 09:59 PM

Received 132 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Originally Posted by BillyD
I've taken 3 EDP deliveries in the last 6 years, so I think I can help on the plate question.
MB will mount a US Plate backplate (as would be used in 2 plate states in the USA) to your car. The backplate will cause them to drill your front bumper. They are not open to compromise - since I live in a no front plate state, I've tried prior to every delivery with several alternative suggestions. Each suggestion was declined.

When your dealer delivers your car, both "export/German-Sales-tax-free plates" will be in your car. No special request is required.

Your plate will have 2 letters (BB-xxx) and probably 2 numbers/digits followed by a letter. The plate is roughly the same width (not height) as a USA plate. It will be considerably more narrow than the plate shown on this thread.

My next EPD is scheduled for mid-August this year.

Hope this helps.
Bill
Bringing this back to see if your mid-August 2016 delivery was the same as the others as far as front license plate and drilling? I'm also in a no front plate State.

Also, do you know if you can request at port or at dealer for them to have body/paint colored tabs to fill where the drilled holes are to cover them up?
Old 03-03-2017, 02:04 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 GLC Coupe
From the dealer guide that someone posted on here and my experience - due to German laws, they have to mount the bracket and attach the license plate.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisk03
Bringing this back to see if your mid-August 2016 delivery was the same as the others as far as front license plate and drilling? I'm also in a no front plate State.

Also, do you know if you can request at port or at dealer for them to have body/paint colored tabs to fill where the drilled holes are to cover them up?
Yes, for my 2016 delivery, 3 holes were drilled into my front plate with the US black "back plate mount" already installed.

I'd did manage to change the black "back plate mount" to the Italian MB spec. mount which will fit both the German plate and the holes that are already drilled in the front bumper when one picks up the vehicle. I've then left the plate and mount on. I've seen the "plug the holes" approach and don't like the way it looks.

I'd be happy to post a picture of my front plate execution if anyone's interested.

Hope this helps.
Bill
Old 03-03-2017, 07:12 PM

Received 132 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Thx guys.

If you get a chance BillyD, I'd like to see a picture.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:28 AM

Front Plate with Italian-Spec. plate mount

Originally Posted by Chrisk03
Thx guys.

If you get a chance BillyD, I'd like to see a picture.
As requested.

Hope this helps.
Bill
Attached Thumbnails German Zoll Tags-front-plate-1.jpg   German Zoll Tags-front-plate-2.jpg   German Zoll Tags-front-plate-3.jpg  
Old 03-05-2017, 09:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GLC300..waiting on EDP delivery
Originally Posted by BillyD
I'd did manage to change the black "back plate mount" to the Italian MB spec. mount which will fit both the German plate and the holes that are already drilled in the front bumper when one picks up the vehicle. I've then left the plate and mount on. I've seen the "plug the holes" approach and don't like the way it looks.
Where did you find the Italian spec mount? I like the look...live in Georgia where no front plate is needed...and have ED scheduled in April.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by mvarner5
Where did you find the Italian spec mount? I like the look...live in Georgia where no front plate is needed...and have ED scheduled in April.
I asked on the AMG Private Lounge site and one of the AMG team members responded with the part #. I then purchased the mount from a European dealership. I'm pretty sure that any European MB dealership could look up the part # for the MB model you are buying. If you European stay happens to take you to Italy, that would be even easier.

Hope this helps.
Bill
The following users liked this post:
mvarner5 (03-05-2017)