European Delivery of Your New Car Discuss the process and issues associated with European Delivery for non-Euro members.

Necessary Documents for European Delivery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 10:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLC300
Necessary Documents for European Delivery

Heading to Stuttgart in about one month to pick up a GLC 300. I want to make sure I don't forget any of the important documents I need to pick up the car and get around Germany for one week. A quick search answered some of my questions, but I wanted to specifically ask: what documents and paperwork should I make sure to take with me? Here's my list so far:

- Passport
- International Driver's Permit from AAA
- Confirmation of Order and Invoice for vehicle
- Taxi Voucher/Credit $100
- Lunch certificate
- One night free hotel reservation confirmation

Additional items:
- Airfare and other hotels booked
- I've sent Mercedes my passport, Vollmacht, IFF power of attorney forms
- I'll receive additional paperwork when we pick up the car: Certificate of Origin, International Registration, Euro Insurance Docs, etc
- Booked drop-off appointment in Munich

Anything stick out that I'm missing?

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2018, 02:38 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
C63s coupe
Suggestions: Take photocopy(s) of passport. Be sure to have/get PIN # for credit card(s). Pre-register travel dates & countries with credit card issuers (so cards are not declined; usually can be easily done online at issuing bank's website).

You do not state your home country (but AAA so ...), so Int. Driving Permit may be unnecessary (e.g., U.S. state drivers license all that is required in Germany).
Taxi credit is now applied to what you pay your home country dealership.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:27 PM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2018 E400S
That's everything you'll need. International drivers permit only necessary if you go to Austria or Switzerland.
Worth figuring out a data plan for your phone, so you can get better rates.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:19 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
C63s coupe
Ditto on the phone. It was one of the biggest issues I had on this trip (prior trips where I did not cross any borders worked well with simply a local SIM card). Expecting border cr4ossing issues, this time I tried a Lycamobile SIM but they proved terminally dysfunctional (could not pay to add minutes/data -- what kind of idiot company will not take your money). Walked into a T-Mobile store in Stuttgart, figuring they are big in the U.S. and Europe, but they were worse than worthless (the clerk broke the case of my phone and sold me with verbal assurances that proved to be wrong once I translated the instructions from German). In the end I caved in and re-installed my original U.S. Verizon SIM card and paid Verizon's gauge of a high daily rate in Europe but got all the minutes and I would have at home.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:52 PM

GLC300
Does Mercedes still offer a handheld GPS loaner for those of us without Nav?
Old 08-19-2018, 02:48 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
BMW X3, Mercedes GLC300 (EDP)
Originally Posted by Mtnbkrlts
Does Mercedes still offer a handheld GPS loaner for those of us without Nav?
When I did an EDP May of 2017 they still offered one. You need to reserve the GPS loaner at least two weeks before your deliver . But it may not be hand held, I reserved one even though I have Navigation in the car because i thought I could use it for directions when walking. But was told at the delivery center it was not a hand held unit, so I did not actually use it.
Some where in the EDP paper work you received is a US contact email address for EDP, you can send an email to request a reservation, or ask your Dealer.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:55 PM

GLC300
Just got back from the trip. Everything went flawlessly with the pickup in Sindelfingen and drop-off in Munich. Mercedes loaned us a GPS unit that was the MVP of our trip for sure. I expected to rely on the turn-by-turn directions, but didn't expect the added convenience of speed limit info. Speed limits change so frequently in Germany (on the Autobahn and around small towns)... this feature was a huge help.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:29 PM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2018 E400S
Originally Posted by Mtnbkrlts
Just got back from the trip. Everything went flawlessly with the pickup in Sindelfingen and drop-off in Munich. Mercedes loaned us a GPS unit that was the MVP of our trip for sure. I expected to rely on the turn-by-turn directions, but didn't expect the added convenience of speed limit info. Speed limits change so frequently in Germany (on the Autobahn and around small towns)... this feature was a huge help.
Congrats on your delivery in Sindelfingen. When you have time post a trip report, e.g. where you went, where you stayed, driving experience etc, and photos! I've done both BMW and MB European Delivery, and I'm amazed at how much more active the BMW forums are for European delivery trip reports. Bimmerfest even has a book at the BMW Welt that people sign when they collect their cars! Be nice to see that level of enthusiasm here. I found this forum helpful for learning about MB, ED and the W213 I took delivery of in May this year.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:02 PM

GLC300
Done!

https://mbworld.org/forums/european-...pt-2018-a.html