Notices
Extended Warranty Discussions Discuss options and plans for extended warranty coverage.

C63 AMG - CarChex Extended Warranty...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
C63 AMG - CarChex Extended Warranty...

Looking at Car Chex as well. I have a 2009 C63 with 39k miles. This is my 2nd C63 and I remember my warranty 'just' expiring and having to eat the cost of new engine mounts, thrust arm bushings and a whole slew of other stuff (tuning me up for about 10k...). My only concern is whether they come through when (and I will need to replace things, we all know it..) needed. Can I trust 'em?

Was just quoted the following (Titanium Package):

Warranty Provider: Assurant Solutions Companies
Product Name: 2013 U Titanium
Term: 36 months / 30,000 miles
Term Price: $3,900
Monthly Cost: $162
Deductible: $100
Waiting Period: 30 days & 1000 miles
Expiration Date: 12/4/2018
or Expiration Odometer: 69,250 miles

Here is a link to the Sample Agreement:

http://docs.carchexcdn.net/coverages...e_Document.pdf
Old 12-09-2015, 06:40 AM

2010 Mercedes C63 AMG
We just acquired a 2010 C63 with a little over 19k miles on it. We went with CarChex, pretty much the same exclusionary warranty, but we went with the longer term option because we want to keep the car as long as possible. We are in Atlanta, and Assurant has offices here. I figure if they do something (or rather not) out of the terms of the warranty I'll show up on their doorstep with a personal request for attention to the matter.

We did a lot of research and Assurant ranked very high in satisfaction, resolution and coverage.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:19 AM

C63 AMG
Thanks Rhyph - Seems like they may be the way to go given the consensus on the board. I'm going to inquire about the tech and nav coverage per Dave W68's advice. Provided it doesn't inflate the cost, I'm probably going to do it.

But, I probably don't need anything beyond 3 years. I may move on to an S63 after this...
Old 12-09-2015, 07:52 AM

2010 Mercedes C63 AMG
Yup makes sense in my opinion, and ours does have the LEC (luxury electronics) add on since we wanted that fancy moving screen covered. They threw in the key guard add on, at no charge. You do have some negotiating room there, so don't be a afraid to wheel and deal with them a bit for a few hundred bux or discounts for add ons.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:19 AM

C63 AMG
This is the current sample contract 'Ken' over at carchex sent over - does it look to be fair to middling or am I being hunted by the wolf?

http://docs.carchexcdn.net/coverages...e_Document.pdf
Old 12-10-2015, 05:20 AM

2010 Mercedes C63 AMG
Same one we received, we also dealt with Ken, spoke to him on the phone and also via their live chat a couple times. We should be receiving our full documentation package by the beginning of next week. In my mind after reviewing tons of contracts, the most important clause we ferreted out with these exclusion type warranties was the Recall and Technical Service Bulletin proviso some of them have. I paid particular attention to this due to the headbolt issue.

The CarChex policy did not implicitly state "Technical Service Bulletin" in their agreement. The clause to watch for looks like this elsewhere:

l. THAT IS THE RESULT OF A DEFECT THAT THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURER HAS ANNOUNCED AS THEIR RESPONSIBILITY BY A PUBLIC RECALL, TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN AND/OR SPECIAL POLICY FOR THE PURPOSE OF CORRECTING SUCH A DEFECT;

CarChex says this:

7. FOR COSTS OR EXPENSES COVERED UNDER THE MANUFACTURER’S BASIC WARRANTY PERIOD OR COVERED BY A RECALL OR SPECIAL POLICY BY THE MANUFACTURER; REGARDLESS OF WHETHER OR NOT THAT GUARANTOR IS DOING BUSINESS AS AN ONGOING ENTERPRISE;

To me, the first "gotcha" example basically says if there is a TSB on your vehicle pertaining to the repair required, they have the capability of fully denying that repair. Most had this gotcha clause and to me made them useless. There can be hundreds of TSB's on vehicles from a manufacturer that we would have no clue existed, until something happened.

So we felt a little better about CarChex's wording and when we asked Ken (and he got his manager involved) specifically about that. He said it only applied if there was a specific policy on a specific part, that they would question if the manufacturer should cover said part or if CarChex/Assurant would be on the hook for the part itself or not.

One might argue that a TSB is a "special policy", but I think an attorney would be able to easily defend and successfully overcome intentionally vague wording if something happened. (Ps. I review contract wording as part of my line of work, but I'm not an attorney - so this is all merely my opinion and best judgement at play).
Old 01-13-2016, 12:22 PM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
'08 CL65
Had my SA look over the sample contract. He states that he's had good experiences with CarChex and that the contract looks good. He also recommends the Hi-Tech option.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:30 PM

2012 S63 AMG
I've got a quote from CarChex for a Titanium Plan with High Tech for nearly $6000 for 5yr/50,000 miles.

Does anyone know anything about the CarMax extended plan? I think it's called MaxCare? My initial reaction was to discount it, but I was at the local MB dealer yesterday and the service manager told me it was actually a good plan.

I'm not sure whether to believe that or not, however?

The MaxCare would probably be more like $3800 for the same timeframe. The high delta in cost between these plans does make me suspicious.

Any thoughts appreciated.