Notices
Extended Warranty Discussions Discuss options and plans for extended warranty coverage.

REAR SUBFRAME EXTENDED WARRANTY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2023, 12:09 PM

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts
Mercedes Benz
REAR SUBFRAME EXTENDED WARRANTY

Wanted to reach out to you and let you know that the rear subframe has been added with an extended warranty from the factory. Standard warranty was 4yr / 50,000 miles and has been extended to 20 years / unlimited miles.

You can possibly be reimbursed for this repair you paid for yourself. You should receive a notification in the mail from MBUSA on this. Once you do see your local dealer on how and if they can process a credit for this now covered repair.

Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC (MBUSA) has extended the warranty for the rear subframe on the vehicles listed below, from the original New Vehicle Limited Warranty of 4 years/50,000 miles to 20 years/unlimited miles, and applies to the vehicle regardless of ownership.

This warranty extension applies to the replacement of the rear subframe under the standard warranty terms and conditions in the event the subframe experiences corrosion with perforation (holes). The extended warranty is applicable to the following vehicles:

The following users liked this post:
SCHUTZEE (02-16-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300
What if it was soft, would not pass state inspection but had no holes yet? Tech said no holes at this time but will be soon.
Old 02-10-2023, 05:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C300 4Matic
edeleonmb thank you for alerting me to this recent warranty extension by MB USA. I am very pleased to see MB step up to this issue. Now this may be just a coincidence but after filing a detailed complaint with MB Customer Care two weeks ago my service contact at the dealership told me this Wednesday it looked like MB was going to cover the repair. He didn't mention an extended warranty at the time. On Thursday MB Customer Care left a voice mail message saying that MB was working with the dealer to provide support. Then today notice of this extension comes out!
edeleonmb (02-17-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 05:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 GL350 - gone 2014 E350 - gone. I now own a new Volvo and BMW. Goodbye for now Mercedes!
I've already paid for the repair, so looking to get my reimbursement asap. The threat of a class action suit by several attorneys likely helped our cause as well.
Old 02-13-2023, 04:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 E Class 350 4matic
Hey, thanks for this! I don't see this information on the website. Is there a link you can send, please?
Old 02-13-2023, 04:27 PM

Mercedes Benz
You should receive something in the mail on or around the 24th of this month.
Old 02-13-2023, 04:32 PM

2014 E Class 350 4matic
Originally Posted by edeleonmb
You should receive something in the mail on or around the 24th of this month.
Good deal, thanks!
Old 02-15-2023, 09:01 AM

Mercedes Benz
Sorry, this was for the wood grain extended warranty

Last edited by edeleonmb; 02-15-2023 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-15-2023, 09:11 AM

2014 E Class 350 4matic
Interesting

I spoke with a Mercedes rep on yesterday and he didn’t mention any of this, only that my vehicle meets the criteria for the extended warranty. He even called my local dealership to advise that it’s covered under warranty.

I’m dropping my car off and getting a loaner on next Wednesday. I sure hope I’m covered 100%. I have a 2014 E350.
Old 02-17-2023, 05:48 AM

c300
Originally Posted by DonnyGT
I spoke with a Mercedes rep on yesterday and he didn’t mention any of this, only that my vehicle meets the criteria for the extended warranty. He even called my local dealership to advise that it’s covered under warranty.

I’m dropping my car off and getting a loaner on next Wednesday. I sure hope I’m covered 100%. I have a 2014 E350.
they gave you a loaner ? How long is the wait for the repair ?
Old 02-17-2023, 06:06 AM

2014 E Class 350 4matic
Originally Posted by emoney18
they gave you a loaner ? How long is the wait for the repair ?
I don’t drop it off until the 21st, next week. I am scheduled to get a loaner, unsure about the length of time.
Old 02-21-2023, 05:06 PM

2010 C300 4Matic
emoney18 I first learned we had a problem on January 18 when my wife had or 2010 C300 in for routine brake kit. She complained about noise back by the trunk and they found that the subframe brackets holding the lower tie rods on both sides were broken completely off. Cost quote for the repairs was $7,000-plus. I had to make the one-hour drive to pick her up and we got a rental car for her on the way home. A few days later, after reading much about this issue online, I decided to commit to the repair and file a complaint with MB Customer Care. Since I had committed to the repair the dealership provided us with a 2022 GLC 300 loaner and even dropped it at our home (could have helped that we have a 2023 C300 ordered through them). MB Customer Care was very polite and patient as I gave all the reasons I expected full coverage of the repair thinking, fat chance. Anyway, I didn't hear back from them for almost three weeks however the service rep at the dealership indicated that they had some inquiries from "Corporate" in that time. Meanwhile, it took about a week or more for the parts to dribble in and the repair was spread out over a couple of additional weeks. On about February 13 I learned through the dealership that MB was going to cover the entire cost. Of course, thanks to edeleonmb I was already aware of this On February 16 the dealership drove our car to our house and picked up the loaner. So, about one month elapsed time.

I am attaching a photo of our old subframe below. It clearly shows heavy corrosion inside the subframe and actually little corrosion on most of the outside of the subframe except in some localized areas where it apparently is progressing out from inside. This may explain why there was no warning from the service group in previous visits of impending failure. For this reason the extended warranty stipulation that there must be "perferation of the subframe" seems quite dangerous to me. I think that any evidence of corrosion kind of bubbling up may be what they are referring to. Still, by the time it is doing that, much of the subframe could be severely compromised.

Old 02-21-2023, 05:11 PM

2014 E Class 350 4matic
Originally Posted by Fishwhencan
emoney18 I first learned we had a problem on January 18 when my wife had or 2010 C300 in for routine brake kit. She complained about noise back by the trunk and they found that the subframe brackets holding the lower tie rods on both sides were broken completely off. Cost quote for the repairs was $7,000-plus. I had to make the one-hour drive to pick her up and we got a rental car for her on the way home. A few days later, after reading much about this issue online, I decided to commit to the repair and file a complaint with MB Customer Care. Since I had committed to the repair the dealership provided us with a 2022 GLC 300 loaner and even dropped it at our home (could have helped that we have a 2023 C300 ordered through them). MB Customer Care was very polite and patient as I gave all the reasons I expected full coverage of the repair thinking, fat chance. Anyway, I didn't hear back from them for almost three weeks however the service rep at the dealership indicated that they had some inquiries from "Corporate" in that time. Meanwhile, it took about a week or more for the parts to dribble in and the repair was spread out over a couple of additional weeks. On about February 13 I learned through the dealership that MB was going to cover the entire cost. Of course, thanks to edeleonmb I was already aware of this On February 16 the dealership drove our car to our house and picked up the loaner. So, about one month elapsed time.

I am attaching a photo of our old subframe below. It clearly shows heavy corrosion inside the subframe and actually little corrosion on most of the outside of the subframe except in some localized areas where it apparently is progressing out from inside. This may explain why there was no warning from the service group in previous visits of impending failure. For this reason the extended warranty stipulation that there must be "perferation of the subframe" seems quite dangerous to me. I think that any evidence of corrosion kind of bubbling up may be what they are referring to. Still, by the time it is doing that, much of the subframe could be severely compromised.

This is nuts! Thank God that your wife is okay, and even more that MB is taking care of it. I dropped my car off this morning and I have the exact same car as a loaner. I don't care how long they keep my car, just fix it. Just curious, did the car drive better altogether or about the same?
Old 02-22-2023, 10:03 AM

2010 C300 4Matic
My wife says it drives like it did before she first heard the thumping noise. No problems!
DonnyGT (02-22-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 12:14 PM

c300
I don’t drop it off until the 21st, next week. I am scheduled to get a loaner, unsure about the length of time.
did they try and charge you with extra charges on parts attatched to it? What all did they cover
Old 02-23-2023, 12:33 PM

2014 E Class 350 4matic
Originally Posted by eddiebuds
did they try and charge you with extra charges on parts attatched to it? What all did they cover
I don’t anticipate being charged anything, as Mercedes stated it was all covered under the extended warranty. I don’t have my car back just yet.
Old 02-23-2023, 03:23 PM

c300
I don’t anticipate being charged anything, as Mercedes stated it was all covered under the extended warranty. I don’t have my car back just yet.
If they do keep us updated .
Old 03-14-2023, 01:00 PM

2009 C300 Sport 6MT, 2004 Forester XT 5MT
Oh yeah, I had to replace mine with a 2012 E class subframe a bit ago due to corrosion and complete failure. Scary. Replaced the taillight connector before it became a recall because I could not wait for my car to catch on fire, and had to replace subframe because the thought of having no control of the car also scared me.... It is insane it took them so long. Probably so there were less cars for them to deal with.

Old 03-14-2023, 02:17 PM

2014 E Class 350 4matic
Originally Posted by andieve
Oh yeah, I had to replace mine with a 2012 E class subframe a bit ago due to corrosion and complete failure. Scary. Replaced the taillight connector before it became a recall because I could not wait for my car to catch on fire, and had to replace subframe because the thought of having no control of the car also scared me.... It is insane it took them so long. Probably so there were less cars for them to deal with.

It absolutely sucks that you had to pay for it. Mine is now complete. They replaced the subframe, a steering recall, and aligned the tires.

Allegedly my rear springs were bad so I had have them replaced at my expense ($500). All in all I’m happy. It took about 11 days from start to finish.
Old 03-15-2023, 03:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 GL350 - gone 2014 E350 - gone. I now own a new Volvo and BMW. Goodbye for now Mercedes!
Has anyone been reimbursed by their dealer yet? I paid $5,225 back in January and then filled out the reimbursement paperwork on Feb 21st. I am still waiting for my check.

I finally received my reimbursement check. Regrettably, no apology from Mercedes..... goodbye for now MB.

Last edited by cbuck12345; 04-03-2023 at 01:40 PM. Reason: UPDATE:
Old 03-20-2023, 11:00 AM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
2012 W212 E550 Sedan
Can you post what the "reimbursement paperwork" looked like? I never got a letter, sent a reimbursement request to MB USA and they told me to deal directly with the dealer.
Old 03-25-2023, 06:39 PM

C300
Received my letter in the mail. Two months after I unloaded my 2011 C300 at auction which was a year after I parked it due to a rotted subframe with a detached link arm.
Too little too late.
Old 03-28-2023, 07:30 PM

2012 C300 4Matic
Back in 2020, MB told me my 2012 C300 rear subframe was rusted and needed to be replaced. It would not pass inspection. I am the original owner with 75K miles. Dealer quoted me $3K to replace. Dealer would not give me a break with repair cost. They told me to call MB Customer Assist. MB Customer Assist also said this was outside warranty and would do nothing. Offered $200 off on a future MB car purchase. Not exactly a friendly bunch. I was able to find a local repair shop that worked on MB's and they quoted me a $1,400 repair. Also, the Local MB dealer did not have any parts in stock at that time in 2020. Had the local repair shop replace the rear subframe and all has been good since then.
Received the letter from MB about the extended warranty. Any thoughts as to whether MB will reimburse me anything? I am not optimistic.
Old 04-03-2023, 01:06 PM

2011 C300 4MATIC Sport
weird I have not recived my letter yet. I bought the part and made the repair in january.
Old 04-05-2023, 09:57 PM

Mercedes C300
good luck… let me know how it goes.

Originally Posted by Vaux57
Back in 2020, MB told me my 2012 C300 rear subframe was rusted and needed to be replaced. It would not pass inspection. I am the original owner with 75K miles. Dealer quoted me $3K to replace. Dealer would not give me a break with repair cost. They told me to call MB Customer Assist. MB Customer Assist also said this was outside warranty and would do nothing. Offered $200 off on a future MB car purchase. Not exactly a friendly bunch. I was able to find a local repair shop that worked on MB's and they quoted me a $1,400 repair. Also, the Local MB dealer did not have any parts in stock at that time in 2020. Had the local repair shop replace the rear subframe and all has been good since then.
Received the letter from MB about the extended warranty. Any thoughts as to whether MB will reimburse me anything? I am not optimistic.
I am in the same boat. contacted local dealer and MB USA customer service. they will not reimburse if the repair is not done by a authorized dealer. I will be filing another complaint with MB USA.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: REAR SUBFRAME EXTENDED WARRANTY