G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

MB Stuttgart Press Release of 11 November 2005

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 MB G500 NMLE, 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige
MB Stuttgart Press Release of 11 November 2005

Mercedes-Benz G‑Class: Legendary Off-Roader will remain part of the Mercedes product lineup

1.) DaimlerChrysler to continue successful and long-standing cooperation with Magna Steyr in Graz, Austria

2.) Customer demand remains at a high level in Germany and abroad

3.) All E-Class variants to be produced at the DaimlerChrysler plant in Sindelfingen from 2007

Stuttgart/Graz– DaimlerChrysler will continue to produce its “classic off‑roader” in the coming years. On behalf of Mercedes-Benz, the company Magna Steyr has manufactured over 185,000 units of the legendary G‑Class in Graz, Austria, since 1979. The car continues to be very popular among customers, and it has been part of the Mercedes product lineup for the past 26 years.
The Mercedes-Benz E‑Class 4MATIC, which Magna Steyr in Graz has also been building since 1996, will be manufactured instead at the DaimlerChrysler plant in Sindelfingen from early 2007. “By continuing to produce the G-Class in Graz and manufacturing all E-Class variants at our main plant in Sindelfingen from 2007, we have found a viable solution for both partner,” explains Dr. Dieter Zetsche, DaimlerChrysler Board of Management member and head of the Mercedes Car Group. “We are delighted that we can continue our successful and long-standing cooperation with Magna Steyr.”
With its rugged technology and outstanding off-road capabilities, the G-Class has set standards from the very start. And it is equipped with the industry’s most effective drive and driving safety systems, combining permanent all-wheel drive with the 4ETS electronic traction system and three differential locks that are activated when needed.
The vehicle’s striking shape, which has remained nearly unchanged over a period of almost three decades, has made the “G” a design classic with cult status. Together with its legendary ruggedness, the off-roader’s design has contributed most to its popularity. “Mercedes-Benz wrote automotive history by always ensuring that the G-Class remained state‑of-the-art over the past 26 years, and it will continue to offer its customers the very latest technology in the future,” says Zetsche.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209 - W163
That's amazing, so i guess that petition we all signed a while back really did work! Awesome news, im glad they're keeping the style for a while. I was getting scared after seeing all the test mules out in Dubai, what a horrid design!
Old 11-11-2005, 05:25 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by ViKTORiOUS
That's amazing, so i guess that petition we all signed a while back really did work! Awesome news, im glad they're keeping the style for a while. I was getting scared after seeing all the test mules out in Dubai, what a horrid design!
The "test mules" you are talking about are the new GL. Not to replace the G, but just add to the line-up.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
Originally Posted by whynot
The "test mules" you are talking about are the new GL. Not to replace the G, but just add to the line-up.
whynot,

Do you happen to know any of the specs for the new GL? I am most interested in whether it will seat 6 or 7 comfortably (as comfortably as the R) and whether it has greater internal storage space than the R when all seats are in use.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:03 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by JackStraw
whynot,

Do you happen to know any of the specs for the new GL? I am most interested in whether it will seat 6 or 7 comfortably (as comfortably as the R) and whether it has greater internal storage space than the R when all seats are in use.
I do not know any specs for the GL, I work in the plant that produces the R. I have been around alot of them, but never worked on one. I will say that yes it can seat 6 as comfortably as the R and with more head room. The interior is really, really nice and the storage is well over par. I personal plan one having one.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:09 PM

1997 E320 Sedan
Originally Posted by whynot
I do not know any specs for the GL, I work in the plant that produces the R. I have been around alot of them, but never worked on one. I will say that yes it can seat 6 as comfortably as the R and with more head room. The interior is really, really nice and the storage is well over par. I personal plan one having one.
I'm really interested in knowing more about the X164 myself. If you happen to get near one during trial runs checkout the 3rd row for us to see how it compares to other large SUVs.

Since trial runs have already started and an official release is expected in Detroit (Jan 06) I would imagine we'll start seeing more on the roads around B'ham soon.

Last edited by AutoSaurus; 11-14-2005 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AutoSaurus

Since trail runs have already started and an official release is expected in Detroit (Jan 06) I would imagine we'll start seeing more on the roads around B'ham soon.
"Trail" runs or trial runs? There's a big difference. :p
Old 11-14-2005, 09:51 AM

1997 E320 Sedan
Originally Posted by DUTCH
"Trail" runs or trial runs? There's a big difference. :p
Well in this case it could mean both but I meant what I said: "trial" as in pre-prodcuction test on the assembly line.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AutoSaurus
Well in this case it could mean both but I meant what I said: "trial" as in pre-prodcuction test on the assembly line.

Reread your original post.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:38 PM

1997 E320 Sedan
Originally Posted by DUTCH
Reread your original post.
oops. I see what you mean. I only read the first paragraph where I spelled it correctly. But you know what I meant. I'll fix it.