G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

2003 last year for US G500?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2003 last year for US G500?

Heard from two separate mb dealers that speculated 2003 was going to be last year for the G in the US. Both claimed that the factory in Austria is not able to keep up with demand in the rest of the world and will not ramp production further.

Have any of you heard this rumor? RAB, if you are reading this, what are your thoughts? Just another sales pitch or possibility?

Thanks,
Blake
Old 08-27-2002, 01:47 AM

no comments from any of you? anyone? anyone? bueller?
Old 08-27-2002, 12:56 PM
CFF

S-430
Sounds like a good marketing idea via the dealers. I'm not sure I belive it. Why would a company like MB want to give up profits? If they can produce 1500 to 2500 a year for the US, keep making $, keep the supply low, demand high they should be fine. The only other plan might be to produce in the US? But this adds to the supply which is bad for G-500 owners inless they really make it an suv, in which case I think the 2003 and eariler owners sit well, because not everyone wants the typical suv. I know I don't.

CFF
Old 08-28-2002, 06:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 MB G500 NMLE, 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige
Last Year for G

I have it from a pretty good source in Germany that 2005 is the last year for the G, unless there are very large military orders.

The question is whether to buy now or to cry later when you can't get one.

This is still all speculation, but my German source has some pretty good connections.
Old 08-28-2002, 01:02 PM

very interesting Dutch. did you get any reasoning for why they would stop? does it have to do with simply the amount of cars they can produce from that factory? and the fact that they probably don't want to bring another new factory on line in order to meet the demand?

thanks,
Blake
Old 08-28-2002, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No "Whys" Were Reported

No reasoning given. As stated though, this is a rumor only. I seriously doubt they would shut a line down because it could not meet demand. A better reason would be if there were no demand.

The line in Graz produces the G, the ML and the Jeep Cherokee - all on and from the same line. Maybe one or both of the others is more profitable; and they want to make room for more of them.

Who knows. I don't.
Old 08-28-2002, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 Jaguar XJS Convertible
Re: No "Whys" Were Reported

Originally posted by DUTCH
The line in Graz produces the G, the ML and the Jeep Cherokee - all on and from the same line.
Wow.. So the Jeep Cherokee is of the same caliber, and quality as the ML and the G!!!
Old 08-28-2002, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MagnaSteyr

Check out the following URL. MB E Class, G Class, M Class, Jeep Grand Cherokee and BMW X3 starting in 2004. All on the same line.

http://www.magnasteyr.com/

Click on Vehicle Assermbly, then Product History and then Picture Gallery.

Interesting, nicht wahr?

Last edited by DUTCH; 08-28-2002 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-28-2002, 07:04 PM

Dutch, sorry for the confusion. The last thing i would expect would be to shut down a line. I was told that a possible reason for MBUSA no longer selling the G after 2003 would be because the factory could not support (in other words, they are too busy with the rest of the world) and it is unlikely they would open up an additional factory.

all this is speculation of course.

thanks,
blake
Old 08-28-2002, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Apparently, the G is only a pimple on the whole face of the M-B picture; and. if they can ustiny e the assembly line to contribute to 150,000 M Klasse vehicles instead of a couple of thousand G's. the G production will be dropped.

Besides, the G is completely hand assembled. One of the last in the world, and it's too expensive to continue.

These are the rumors. And that's all they are. More I cannot contribute.

If all these are true (and the operative word here is "if"); then, if you want one, you'd better get one.
Old 08-28-2002, 09:36 PM

mine is on a boat on its way
Old 08-28-2002, 09:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
they are stopping it?? NOOO

i lvoe that car.. very very sleek and boxy! lol
Old 09-08-2002, 06:13 PM

Post Info on G's...

I have some history about G-Wagens, and although some of this is speculation, some of it is also fact.

I own a 96 G320. I purchased it from Europa in Santa Fe, NM. This was before they were sold in US Dealerships. Europa was the only place in North America to sell them.

G's have been in existence for a long time, since the 70's, I believe. Maybe before... The body style has changed a little, but not much. Since their makeover in the early 90's, the style has had no changes, other than like additions of XM antennas or clear turn lamps. G's have been sold to Europa @ only 100/year. In 2001, Mercedes Benz of USA bought the right from Europa to sell G Wagens. Since MBUSA is obviously much larger than Europa, the production from Germany, or actually Austria has gone up. G's were hand crafted. I don't know if they still are or not. It sounds like it... Anyway, after MBUSA bought the license, Europa was prepared to become a true Mercedes Benz dealership and focus on selling G's as it has done before. But, MBUSA, the same company who purchased the right from them, slapped a big "DENIED" stamp on their request to become a MB dealership in Santa Fe, NM. (They would only be the second MB dealership in NM, with the other one in Albuqurque(sp?)). This was quite low and has degraded Europa to now only sell used G's and Saabs. That kind of dropped my confidence in MBUSA. Europa is still bitter about it, but they have the right to be. They have been selling G's in America for like 10 times as long as MBUSA has. They know the cars the best.

Now whether or not production continues of the G's is not up to MBUSA. MBUSA does have a large say in whether or not they think they should, but the decision is made by some guy in Germany or Austria. I do not believe they would stop G's in 2005 or any later for that matter. That is only speculation, of course, but the G has existed for a long time. And to just stop selling G's because MBUSA just got the license seems a little fishy. I could be wrong, but that is what I think. Now, whether MBUSA will stop selling G's in the US is another story...

Hope this gives some people some info.
Old 09-08-2002, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

History & Future

The G was first produced in February 1979.

G's are still hand crafted. That is one of the arguments for stopping production. They cannot be sold for a large enough profit when the cost of assembly is considered.

If production is stopped, the decision will be made in Germany; and will have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not MBUSA has the rights to sell them in the USA. It will be determined by the profitability of the assembly line; which also produces the M Klasse and the Jeep Grand Cherokee on the same line - and is scheduled to produce the BMW X3 starting in ?2004?. These non-hand-crafted vehicles take up just as much space as the G's on that line; but are far more profitable, since they are not hand assenbled.

If they do stop production, it'll sure make the value of those already in existence go up.

FWIW, I've been driving a G since 1984; and it was not purchased from or imported by Europa.

Last edited by DUTCH; 09-08-2002 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-08-2002, 11:53 PM

2013 G 63 AMG
Chupper,

I think MBUSA has much more say in the development and design of Mercedes cars than you give them credit for. Remember that in 2001, DaimlerChrysler sold 1,229,700 Mercedes-Benz vehicles world wide. Of those, 206,600 were sold by MBUSA which is about 17%. Of course, US sales tend to be biased towards the higher end, higher profit margin vehicles. In fact, the MBUSA sales devision brought in about $11 billion in 2001...more than any other subsidiary...in fact, almost more than all the other international subs combined!

In the case of the G-class, as of this year the US is the largest market for this vehicle. Sales of the G-class have incresed significantly in the last 24 months due to the new interior and also the beginning of sales in the US. Furthermore, sales were good enough to warrant the introoduction of the G55 AMG to the US this November.

I think that the future of the G-class will be significantly influenced by demand in the US, and also by market research conducted by MBUSA. DUTCH is correct that the current manufacturing facility in Graz is already running 24hrs/day to meet demand on the G-class; and several publications have noted that production in Austria is scheduled to end in the 2005/2006 timeframe. If sales in the US continue to be strong, and if MBUSA believes that there continues to be a need and benefit to sales of such a vehicle in the US, it is possible that they will influence the start of production of the G-class or its successor in Alabama.

Will they continue to build the W463 as it is today after 2005/6? I don't think so. I'm hoping that the strong growth of demand for this vehicle in the past few years will prompt them to design and build a worth successor. Let's hope that the core characteristics of the G-class that make it remarkable are continued in any replacement that is developed. They have managed to do that with the SL and E-class over the years.
Old 09-09-2002, 08:42 PM

2004 S500 4MATIC AMG SPORT PKG. - 2002 RANGE ROVER
Very well said....

to Dutch and Jimmy,

Very well said. I think the demands for the G will continue. The production and the design following 2005/06 models will be yet to see. In any event, I will always be true to the G Class...
Old 09-09-2002, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by jimmyg
Chupper,

If sales in the US continue to be strong, and if MBUSA believes that there continues to be a need and benefit to sales of such a vehicle in the US, it is possible that they will influence the start of production of the G-class or its successor in Alabama.
If it is, it won't be in the same class as those made in Graz. I don't think even the M Klasse made in Alabama can hold a candle to the M Klasse made in Graz when it comes to quality and workmanship.

Just a very biased personal opinion based on having spent a lot of time in manufacturing plants in Alabama.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:39 PM

jimmyg-
I agree that MBUSA does have a say, but MB in Deutschland and Osterreich(Austria) will make the decision. I was just trying to stress to everyone that MBUSA does not make, design, and sell all Mercedes. I do agree that MBUSA is probably the largest importer of Mercedes Benzes and also MBUSA has plenty of $$$ to help MB in Germany make key decisions !

Also, G's before they were sold from MBUSA, when they were being sold at Europa, people did also import themselves. Thanks for correcting me dutch!

Either way, G's are pretty darn good SUV's. I know NATO uses them and so do other armies. They are Europe's Hummer. And they are quite nice with leather seats!

All I can say is, long live the G! (I don't think it will last as long as the SL's though )
Old 09-10-2002, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by chupper
jimmyg-

Either way, G's are pretty darn good SUV's. I know NATO uses them and so do other armies.
Our US Marine Corps currently use them as their FAV (Fast Attack Vehicle) - much more reliable in the field than the Hummers.

Last edited by DUTCH; 09-10-2002 at 09:45 PM.