G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

NEW G?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E550
NEW G?

currently I drive the 2007 E550. Car has been great, powerful and fun to drive.
I have really like the look of the G trucks but all reviews I have read about them have a lot of "BUTS". This is probably not the greatest place to ask as I am sure all of you love them but really is it worth it? how does it drive? even the dealer was like "for an everyday car I am not sure you will be happy". The good news is I live in NYC so I don't drive everyday. I am also interested in looking at he ML63 and the new BMW M x5 that comes out later this year. All thoughts would be appreciated.

Edit: not sure if there is a difference but I should mention that I would be in the market for a new 2009

Last edited by baziado; 04-28-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 MB G500 NMLE, 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige
Originally Posted by baziado
currently I drive the 2007 E550. Car has been great, powerful and fun to drive.
I have really like the look of the G trucks but all reviews I have read about them have a lot of "BUTS". This is probably not the greatest place to ask as I am sure all of you love them but really is it worth it? how does it drive? even the dealer was like "for an everyday car I am not sure you will be happy". The good news is I live in NYC so I don't drive everyday. I am also interested in looking at he ML63 and the new BMW M x5 that comes out later this year. All thoughts would be appreciated.

Edit: not sure if there is a difference but I should mention that I would be in the market for a new 2009
I know two different guys on another forum who drive them in NYC. One in particular says it's better for the potholes than anything else he's ever driven.

That being said, it's a truck and drives like one; and stay far away from MB Manhattan from all reports I've heard.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:29 AM

2015 G63
Way too many questions for one post to answer ... lol

MB-Manhattan does not like the G. I am not sure why, but they will give you lots of "BUTS". They sent me an email about 1.9% Financing, "BUT" does not include the G

Once you drive a SUV in NYC, you will not drive anything else. You feel incredibly safe. You sit so high that you see over taxis and know what's coming. Potholes are jarring, but you don't blow out tires and dent rims. Plus, other cars actually get out of you way (unlike in your E550)

As for which SUV you want ... a test drive is the only way to go!!!
Old 04-29-2009, 10:50 AM

2013 G 63 AMG
Here's a pretty positive review of the 2009 Mercedes G550 by Automobile Magazine:

But despite all this, the G550 is still one of the coolest, most interesting vehicles sold in America and, surprisingly, it's fairly easy to live with day to day. The shallow dash, thin A-pillars, and upright windshield and side windows make for an unobstructed view of the road making it less scary than you'd think to park and maneuver in urban settings, although, the heavy steering can be exhausting in these same situations.
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...550/index.html
Old 04-29-2009, 02:06 PM

2007 E550
thanks for the info......

I am going around and around. Will probably go test drive it shortly. I guess the biggest issue is that i will probably use this next ride as primary to take me back and forth to our home at the jersey shore so I will need to find something comfortable to sit in a lot of traffic yet fun enough to drive when there is none..........if you were deciding between this or say the ML63 or GL550 what would you do?
Old 04-29-2009, 04:03 PM

MB
Well I thought I'd give it a shot....

I'm a former G500, and E500 wagon owner and presently my wife drives the GL550. We frequent the shore as well so we've had long trips in these cars with young children.

My personal favorite of the bunch was the G500 though the worst in respect to practical (family) use. The ride is reasonable though firmer than the others and suprisingly quiet at highway speeds. Handling is a relative weakness. Entry height was a complaint for my wife and the little ones who are in car seats. The rear door is also heavy and cumbersome for her. She did not like to drive it herself due to the heaviness of steering and pedal. This can become tiresome. As for a daily driver to work, I absolutely loved it and am considering a G55 for my own use.

The GL550 is an excellent all around SUV with great handling and ride for a vehicle this size. Wife loves driveability and visibility. Acceleration is superb and smooth. Only consideration for winter driving is that you will need a dedicated set of snow tires. Not a big deal from Tire rack...

Since you own the E500 already I won't add much more other than to say that the GL550 comes reasonably close in ride feel (not handling) with the benefits of an SUV capacity and similar creature comforts....

Good luck!
Old 04-30-2009, 07:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 MB G500 NMLE, 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige
Originally Posted by baziado
thanks for the info......

I am going around and around. Will probably go test drive it shortly. I guess the biggest issue is that i will probably use this next ride as primary to take me back and forth to our home at the jersey shore so I will need to find something comfortable to sit in a lot of traffic yet fun enough to drive when there is none..........if you were deciding between this or say the ML63 or GL550 what would you do?
Lots more room in the G.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:27 PM

2015 G63
Originally Posted by TheDogsCar
MB-Manhattan does not like the G. I am not sure why, but they will give you lots of "BUTS". They sent me an email about 1.9% Financing, "BUT" does not include the G
Here is the new email on May's promotions ... all models, but the G

http://www.mb-manhattan.com/portal/s...B2009_SL_Class