G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Rear parktronic install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 01:02 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 G500
Rear parktronic install

In My humble oppinion, they are generaly very cordial at MB Manhattan. Whenever I leave my car they have a new E or ML waiting as a loaner, and if its a 1 day in and out appt, they will get you a limo or town car to bring you and pick you up. The staff is always very cordial, and the facility is first rate with regard to their MB Product Knowledge after all they ARE the U.S Factory store.
Now with regard to parktronic, being retroactively installed in your car, It can be done, but not without removing large portions of the interior.

Assume that if you have it done it would be the same amount of labor as having the vehicle armor plated with kevlar at an aftermrket company.

Major portions of the interior would have to be removed in order to wire the system, and when they are removed and replaced, they will never be the same, expect that there will be squeaks and rattles throughout the interior, because as the system needs to be wired, expect floor, ceiling and possibly door panels to be removed and re installed to hide the wiring. The rear bumper will then have to be drilled with dime sized holes, for the sensors and then possibly re painted. a 3 inch hole will then have to be bored at the interior of the rear gate, to house the indicator, and then removed pannels will have to be re fitted. Now I assume that at the factory when these pieces are installed in a sequence, they fit very well, however when certain pieces are removed and then re-installed there may be a poor fit.

The labor alone would probably be 15-20 hours to do the job correctly, and even then you may be opening a can of worms. I know how hard this may be to accept, and I feel that MB was negligent by not making this a standard feature as it is so important due to the blind spot, but in all reality you might be better off accepting the situation.

There is one other option involving the instalation of a tiny black and white TV camera, with a wireless transmiter, they can be had for about 300 dollars then you can feed the immage into your command screen without wires and be able to see how close that you are to the car or wall behind you as you park. There is a company called ultrasmith that can probably do this for you wiith a lot less headache. I hope thatthis helps!

Regards

Abercrombie &
Old 06-24-2003, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
..............I have a color rear view camera installed in my CLK32K and integrated with Comand. No it is not a wireless system and no my car does not shake and rattle because of it. Installing Parktronics does involve some work on your car but not at all the way you describe it. If you have ever personally done any electrical or adio/video work in car you will know that a car can be wired from the rear to the front with the wiring carefully hidden bihind the interior side panels ralatively easily. This is not some kind of inposible task.or a task that will cause your car to self destruct. Having said that, I prefer my color rear view camera to parktronics because you get video and audio and can directly see what is behind you.

LINK TO MY COLOR REAR VIEW CAMERA

Ted
Old 06-24-2003, 05:14 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 G500
Mr baldwin...

"I have a color rear view camera installed in my CLK32K and integrated with Comand. No it is not a wireless system and no my car does not shake and rattle because of it"

Thats all well and fine, but I dont recall anyone asking you about your CLK'S equipment or the one wire that you have run between the dash and the back window, perhaps you have attention deficit disorder, or a reading comprehension problem.

The system that I was referring to is a more modern and wireless system that is currently available. Not, the old stock (Pep boys) technology that you have employed.

Additionally the CLK whick I believe was built on a C class platform, (correct me if I'm wrong) shares nothing with the GWagon, except perhaps some of the dash switching knobs.

The complete dismantle of the interior that I was trying to disuade a fellow G owner from having to do would be for a retrofit of the factory parktronic system, including wires to all six of the rear bumper sensors, cutting a hole in the rear of the interior for the display, wiring the sytem to a power feed, 3-4 times larger than your clk's interior. Having had my 2001 S class door and interior removed several times for repair, I can attest that the re-fit, was never perfect, and that the fell and quiet were replaced by rattles and squeaks, hence I have since traded to a G500.

Sorry I come across as brash, but it bothers me that when I take 15 minutes out of my extremely busy day, to lend assistance to a fellow G owner, that some body from a CLK forum twists the question around to spark some sort of an exchange.

Good Day
Old 06-24-2003, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 MB G500 NMLE, 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige
Removing the interior rear panels on the G is as simple as pulling the moulding strips along side the door off. The interior panel then drops out. It's how you access the emergency fuel door opener on the right side and the emergency sliding roof panel closure mechanism on the left. To put it back together, you put the panel in place and press the moulding back in place over it. No big deal; and, yes, I have to agree with you that you come across as extremely brash kid - especially when considering your long experience in driving G's.

I'm speaking from 19 years experience driving and working on Geländewagens. While the newer ones have more electronics and are a little tougher to diagnose, they're all pretty intuitive to work on.

Btw, on another and much larger G-Class Forum, there have been some pretty bad horror stories about G-Class service at that M-B service facility located near the Javits Center in NYC.

Last edited by DUTCH; 06-24-2003 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Sorry I come across as brash, but it bothers me that when I take 15 minutes out of my extremely busy day, to lend assistance to a fellow G owner, that some body from a CLK forum twists the question around to spark some sort of an exchange.

...........You are funny. You have no idea who is on this board.

Ted
Old 06-24-2003, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
............by the way, sorry Dea Lord that you spent 15 mins of your precious time.

Ted
Old 06-24-2003, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
as Assume that if you have it done it would be the same amount of labor as having the vehicle armor plated with kevlar at an aftermrket company.

............back to the main topic. A dealer should be able to intal a factory item such as parktronics without destroying your car. Yes, even if your car is G-class. And no, it is not the same as amor plating the entire car with Kevlar. I was tempted to reveal myself to you after the childish coments you made about me being from the CLK forum an therefore should not have any coments regarding whatever my "superiors" say in the G-class forum, but I changed my mind. Why stoop to your level.

Ted
Old 06-25-2003, 12:28 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 G500
why would you be so afraid to reveal who you are?

f
Old 06-25-2003, 12:36 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 G500
And yes the reason that Mercedes created

The Guard models, is due to the improper re-installation of the interiors after modification by companies like, Securitech, and O'Gara-Hess & Eisenhardt who incidentally make the Presidents car. According to Jurgen Schemp in an interview, MB was getting a bad rap for poor assembly, after Re-installation of the interiors, specificly Rattles and squeaks throughout.
Old 06-25-2003, 04:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Re: Mr baldwin...

Originally posted by abercrombie

Additionally the CLK whick I believe was built on a C class platform, (correct me if I'm wrong) shares nothing with the GWagon, except perhaps some of the dash switching knobs.
Actually, the W208 CLK (yes, based on the W202 C-class) shares several components with the 2002+ G500:

1) Steering wheel/multifunction airbag (on 2002)

2) Combination switch (turn signal)

3) Cruise control/VR switch/levers

4) Rear heated seat switches (used for front of CLK)

5) Touch shifter

That's about it... there are a lot more W203 C-class parts in the 2002+ W463.

Now, a few comments on taking cars apart to refit things... I do this all the time on my W202 C-class and W208 CLK. I've had the complete interiors of my cars out to access the wiring harnesses and add/change wiring in the car. The wiring harnesses are run through plastic "gutters" which have a top flap that locks to form a complete enclosure. It can easily be reopened and closed to add/remove/change wiring. I've successfully added a number of items to my cars, factory systems that did not ship with the cars: Rear power sunshade, folding mirrors, COMAND, GSM cellular phones, TV tuners, and the list goes on. These were pretty much all added by buying the harnesses, switches, etc. from Mercedes parts and adding them back in using the information from WIS. I'm also working on getting Parktronic installed on one.

After having my G500 for a few months, one night I undertook a big project (which I completed in a frenzy of work from 9pm to 9am). It was to add a Playstation 2, headrest monitors, iPod auxiliary input, and Infinity Basslink subwoofer. I also fitted my newly custom-drilled 16" wheels with 35" tires. Anyhow, I've had the G500 apart quite a bit, and the major major difference is this: The wiring is contained in a gutter in the metal of the body floorpan, and it is covered by a piece of flat sheet metal glued or strangely clipped over the gutter. The metal covers are quite long as well, meaning that the whole interior has to be out at once to access this stuff, you can't go a section at a time. This is very unlike standard Mercedes engineering (well, the design is 25 years old). To me, this was not to be messed with, so the wiring is not running in an "OEM" place. So I consider this a big "hack". Anyone else who is considering doing mods to their G-klasses, should first figure how they are going to overcome this issue (obviously someone smarter than I am). Then the rest of the mod might be easier.

Yes, removing interior panels is very simple on the G-class. But believing that this is all there is to it, is really not understanding the situation.

-s-

Last edited by scorchie; 06-25-2003 at 04:23 AM.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:49 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 G500
Thank You for your insightful and informative comments

X
Old 06-25-2003, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by scorchie

Yes, removing interior panels is very simple on the G-class. But believing that this is all there is to it, is really not understanding the situation.

-s-
When it comes to installing the ParkTronic, that's really all there is to do on the inside.
Old 06-25-2003, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally posted by DUTCH
When it comes to installing the ParkTronic, that's really all there is to do on the inside.
So what you're saying is that you really haven't looked at the wiring harnesses on a 2002+ 463, huh?

-s-
Old 06-25-2003, 09:39 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 G500
Old 06-27-2003, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
"I have a color rear view camera installed in my CLK32K and integrated with Comand. No it is not a wireless system and no my car does not shake and rattle because of it"

Thats all well and fine, but I dont recall anyone asking you about your CLK'S equipment or the one wire that you have run between the dash and the back window, perhaps you have attention deficit disorder, or a reading comprehension problem.

The system that I was referring to is a more modern and wireless system that is currently available. Not, the old stock (Pep boys) technology that you have employed.

The complete dismantle of the interior that I was trying to disuade a fellow G owner from having to do would be for a retrofit of the factory parktronic system, including wires to all six of the rear bumper sensors, cutting a hole in the rear of the interior for the display, wiring the sytem to a power feed, 3-4 times larger than your clk's interior. Having had my 2001 S class door and interior removed several times for repair, I can attest that the re-fit, was never perfect, and that the fell and quiet were replaced by rattles and squeaks, hence I have since traded to a G500.

..............i think we were taken quite off topic by Mr. Abercrombies's ranting and raving regardiing how his busy schedule was superior to that of the rest of us. That led to the comparison of CLk to G500 which was not the inted topic. I think most agree that installing Parktronics in a G500 is feasible and a dealer ought to be able to do it without destroying your car. Hoever, most dealers are reluctant to do any mods in any car even on cars such as CLK which Mr. Abercrombie considers insignificant. As far as Rear Camera is concerned: the installation of a rear view camera would actually be much more complicated because not only do you have to drill a hole in the pumber or trunk in order to seat the camera, you then have to wire the video ouput, as well as the right and left audio outputs from the back of the car all the way to the front. (No, it is not just a single wire). Then you would need to hack into the Comand to get the video and left and right audio inputs to the Comand. No, Mr. Abercrombie, the Comand does not have video or audio input jacks for you to just plug into. Then you have to figure out how to turn on the Tv function of the Comand using Star diagnosis program and the finally, you would need to figure out how to dissable the safety feature that prevents you from displaying video in the Comand while in motion. As far as wireless rear view Camera is concerned. No, Mr. Abercrombie this is not NEW technology. The technology has been available in RV's for more than a decade. The picture quality is poor and FCC rules require it to accept interference.

LINK TO WIRELESS REAR VIEW CAMERA. HAS BEEN AVAILABLE FOR AGES.

Ted
Old 06-27-2003, 01:16 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 G500
You really seem to need help

check this link out out they are local and can probably assist you

http://www.bma-wellness.com/resource...resources.html
Old 06-27-2003, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Speaking of Immature

You might need to spend a little time here, pal.

http://kindercare.com/summer_explorations_intro.php3

Grow up!

and has been for a while already.
Old 06-28-2003, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
...........I see that Mr. Abercrombie's reputation as a self absorbed little kid is getting noticed by others in the forum. This is my last post on this thread.

Ted
Old 07-13-2003, 12:32 AM
D-5

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E55
Re: You really seem to need help

That is childish, grow up!
Old 08-10-2003, 12:35 AM

2013 G 63 AMG
Didn't take much work for my dealer to do it

Parts cost about $800, and the install took a day for rear parktronic. They said it was quite simple since the system used by Mercedes is based on the Bosch ParkPilot which is an aftermarket system Bosch developed. It's completely independent of any other systems in the car and only comes on when you engage reverse (since it pulls power from the reversing light).

They removed the rear door panel and one corner panel in the rear, ran the wire up to where the display was mounted and that's it. The harness for the control unit comes pre-installed in the US G500 since all G-wagens in Europe have had the Parktronic option since 1999.

It works great for avoiding small children, shopping carts, hedges, and other low/small objects that you can't see out the rear window.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Didn't take much work for my dealer to do it

Originally posted by jimmyg
Parts cost about $800, and the install took a day for rear parktronic. They said it was quite simple since the system used by Mercedes is based on the Bosch ParkPilot which is an aftermarket system Bosch developed. It's completely independent of any other systems in the car and only comes on when you engage reverse (since it pulls power from the reversing light).
Jimmy,

If you do any trailering, hopefully, MBUSA will get the shutoff switch for the ParkTronic worked out. Last I heard, they finally got a wiring harness for the trailer hitch, but they forgot that the ParkTronic needs to be deactivated (standard in the European trailer plug); so anyone with ParkTronic trying to back a trailer gets to listen to the ParkTronic scream at them.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:26 AM

new to MB world
Lightbulb

offering OEM ( BOSCH ) front parking sensors kit.

Discontinued item, original cost just under $300.
https://newyork.craigslist.org/stn/p...008676188.html

easy to install. ( install video is linked in the post)
Old 10-28-2019, 09:01 PM

G500
Does it come with LED indicators as shown on the cover picture?
Old 10-28-2019, 09:11 PM

new to MB world
Originally Posted by GNBS
Does it come with LED indicators as shown on the cover picture?

yes, have a look at the video, skip to 3min.34sec to see the sensors leds
Old 10-28-2019, 09:38 PM

G500
Great I would take it! Could you send me a PM with your details!