G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

2002 G500 build/ restoration/ conversion photo thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-25-2020, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 164 Posts
2011 Mercedes E550 Sport
Thank you

I bought a brand new cluster.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes G55
Can it be done with a used cluster?
Old 05-26-2020, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 Mercedes E550 Sport
Honestly I don't know. Im not sure if the odometer is stored in the cluster or ECU or both....
Old 05-27-2020, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 Mercedes E550 Sport
Just a random pic

Last edited by Kobzarhomes; 05-27-2020 at 12:41 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kobzarhomes:
pdeacon (05-27-2020), shiann (11-16-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 03:04 AM

2002 Mercedes Benz G500
Thanks so much for the information!

Originally Posted by Kobzarhomes
Hello
Thank you

I did purchase a brand new G55 cluster but the only thing that's not working is the gas gauge.
I spoke to a local guy here who says he can program it to work, but he has been out of town for a while so I just have to wait **and visit gas station often to make sure I don't run out of gas )))

He asked me how many gallons was my gas tank... I guess he will some how program it separately from cars computer or something. Not sure yet, but I will update everyone once its done.

Sorry I can't be of more help at this time.

hello KB,

first of all, thanks so much for all your replies and helping us answer all the questions. I have to say this is an AMAZING job and it’s motivating me to work on my 2002 G500 even more. It’s so exciting that makes me want to come sown to Seattle and meet you in person and shake hands to talk about our G- wagons, and I even had a crazy thought of paying you that we can work on my 02 g500 to something else different project car ( more towards the Offroad type).

This is the first time and the only time I actually replied on the mbworld threads. I have read most of this threads and it has a lot of useful information.

1. I still have a question to ask, could you please list all the stuff for your interior upgrades please with the year of the new parts and where you bought them from?

2. also, I bought a G55 instrument cluster and I also bought a connector module ($500) which supposed to help with the installation upgrade. Although, I have trouble installing it and I couldn’t find anyone to do it in Las Vegas or LA.

I know the center console you showed us how to change like yours which I’m going to try to work on it. But the instrument cluster it’s not plug in and ready. The gas doesn’t work, as well as all the error messages don’t work either. Please show us the way how you got it install correctly and running properly.

3. did you buy new seats? Those new leathering is beautiful. How did you do it?

4. the new door panels are nice with the new style chrome seat control, may I ask which year is it?

Much Thanks!

- Justin
Old 07-28-2020, 03:52 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
W463 G500, W463 G55, W222 S550, F10 M5, RR VOGUE, R107 560SL, VANTAGE, F430, 911
I installed a new/virgin G55 in my 2003 in 2015 and haven't had issues with the gas gauge. I'd had issues with the mileage calculation on the cluster as it says "599 miles till empty" after a fill up, but after a few trips, it becomes accurate.

I guess this is a MY 2002 issue. I know there were some big electrical changes between 2002 and 2003. This was also an issue with C class models that facelifted their clusters. Everything would work except the gas gauge, but some others on the forums found a fix. It has something to do with the fuel level sensors in the tank, those would need to be updated as well.

My G is older than my wifes, she has the facelifted interior. I can interchange clusters with no problem. I also have a facelifted cluster. Benzworld has a thread about the issue, just google "c-class cluster facelift gas guarge" and you'll see the issue. The G and C share almost all electrical components.

I would be weary of a guy with STAR that asks how big your fuel tank is. I had SDS and Xentry and use it often. I haven't seen those options when programming modules.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:16 PM

2002 Mercedes Benz G500
Nice work

Originally Posted by atlclk
I performed the center console switch. The hazard panel just requires repinning for one of the cables - each pin is numbered 1-4, so it's easy to match. I did NOT remove my dash so was unable to replace and make hybrid w203/w463 crate. I made custom mounts and got creative in order to secure the new components. I'll post pics if any one is interested.

Thank you Kobzarhomes for this thread. It's the BEST!
Could you please show us the details how you got the whole center console working please? If you have pictures that would be great. Much appreciated. I’m trying to work on mine, it’s a little frustrating.

justin
Old 08-02-2020, 07:21 PM

2002 Mercedes Benz G500
Originally Posted by gurukid
I installed a new/virgin G55 in my 2003 in 2015 and haven't had issues with the gas gauge. I'd had issues with the mileage calculation on the cluster as it says "599 miles till empty" after a fill up, but after a few trips, it becomes accurate.

I guess this is a MY 2002 issue. I know there were some big electrical changes between 2002 and 2003. This was also an issue with C class models that facelifted their clusters. Everything would work except the gas gauge, but some others on the forums found a fix. It has something to do with the fuel level sensors in the tank, those would need to be updated as well.

My G is older than my wifes, she has the facelifted interior. I can interchange clusters with no problem. I also have a facelifted cluster. Benzworld has a thread about the issue, just google "c-class cluster facelift gas guarge" and you'll see the issue. The G and C share almost all electrical components.

I would be weary of a guy with STAR that asks how big your fuel tank is. I had SDS and Xentry and use it often. I haven't seen those options when programming modules.
thanks so much for your reply. It’s informative. I searched for that facelift but still couldn’t get an answer. So, in order for this 2002 G to work with this brand new G55 mike cluster, I have to upgrade a new fuel sensor? And then have a mechanic to work on it to make it work?
Old 08-03-2020, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 Mercedes E550 Sport
As far as upgraded fuel sensor...I have heard different stories about it. I did hear about having it replaced.

BUT, I called the dealer and I asked for part numbers for 2002 fuel sensor/sender and 2008 or so and they are the same.....hmmmmm not sure what to think of that.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 Mercedes E550 Sport
hello KB,

first of all, thanks so much for all your replies and helping us answer all the questions. I have to say this is an AMAZING job and it’s motivating me to work on my 2002 G500 even more. It’s so exciting that makes me want to come sown to Seattle and meet you in person and shake hands to talk about our G- wagons, and I even had a crazy thought of paying you that we can work on my 02 g500 to something else different project car ( more towards the Offroad type). **THANK YOU, WHEN EVER YOUR IN TOWN, LET ME KNOW AND WE CAN MEET. AS FAR AS WORKING ON ANOTHER G-WAGON.... I WOULD NOT WANT TO JUST BECAUSE IT TOOK ME 3 YEARS DOING IT PART-TIME SINCE I DO FULL TIME REAL ESTATE.. )))

This is the first time and the only time I actually replied on the mbworld threads. I have read most of this threads and it has a lot of useful information.

1. I still have a question to ask, could you please list all the stuff for your interior upgrades please with the year of the new parts and where you bought them from? **THAT'S SOMETHING THAT'S NOT REALLY POSSIBLE SINCE ALMOST ALL PARTS AREA NEW OR UPGRADED. I DID PURCHASE ALL NEW PARTS FROM "LOKEY MERCEDES". DANNY AT WHOLESALE IS VERY HELPFUL. IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT ANY SPECIFIC PARTS, FEEL FREE TO ASK.

2. also, I bought a G55 instrument cluster and I also bought a connector module ($500) which supposed to help with the installation upgrade. Although, I have trouble installing it and I couldn’t find anyone to do it in Las Vegas or LA.

I know the center console you showed us how to change like yours which I’m going to try to work on it. But the instrument cluster it’s not plug in and ready. The gas doesn’t work, as well as all the error messages don’t work either. Please show us the way how you got it install correctly and running properly. **MY DASH WAS OUT SO IT WAS EASIER FOR ME TO CHANGE THE CENTER CONSOLE. AS FAR AS INSTRUMENT CLUSTER, FUEL GAUGE AND ODOMETER IS WHATS NOT WORKING ON MINE. ILL GET TO IT SOME DAY, RIGHT NOW IT DOES NOT BOTHER ME THAT MUCH.

3. did you buy new seats? Those new leathering is beautiful. How did you do it? **SEATS I PURCHASED USED FROM CLS63. REWIRED THE WIRING SO I CAN USED ORIGINAL SEAT MODULES AND HAD THEM RE-UPHOLSTERED BY A LOCAL GUY HERE. THE REST OF THE INTERIOR HE STITCHED AND I GLUED MYSELF.

4. the new door panels are nice with the new style chrome seat control, may I ask which year is it? **FRONT DOOR PANELS ARE FROM THE NEWER 2008 OR SO G-WAGON. SEAT CONTROLS ARE FROM 2016 W205 AND HAD THEM REPROGRAMMED IN RUSSIA TO WORK WITH 2002 G500 ELECTRONICS. YOU CAN SEE IN MY FORUM HOW I MADE THE BEZEL. I MOLDED ORIGINAL OUTER WITH W205 INNER.

Much Thanks!

- Justin
Old 08-03-2020, 02:20 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
W463 G500, W463 G55, W222 S550, F10 M5, RR VOGUE, R107 560SL, VANTAGE, F430, 911
As far as upgraded fuel sensor...I have heard different stories about it. I did hear about having it replaced.

BUT, I called the dealer and I asked for part numbers for 2002 fuel sensor/sender and 2008 or so and they are the same.....hmmmmm not sure what to think of that.
You're right, and it even extends further than 2008 as my wife's 2010 electronics work perfectly in my 2003.

G's had a mid-year production change where they kept all of the 2002 or older exterior looks but integrated 2003 electronics - they are 2002.5 models. I also buy from Lokey, they are actually local to me, great place. However, they are limited to what they can purchased based on their software and "what comes back from your VIN". I chose Lokey because they let me purchase newer parts (2009, 2010, etc) parts while providing my 2003 VIN or no VIN at all, which is awesome because MB Tampa would put my orders on hold for VIN verification then argue. I ended up just going to autotrader and finding a VIN that matched what I wanted to buy and using it lol.

Anyways, you likely have a US G500 and not a Europa model. If that's the case, you'll definitely have 2002.5 (or 2003) electronic systems in it. In fact, as far as I know, 1999-2002 used a unique system that was riddled with gremlins and was quickly abandoned. That being said, I don't think the guys at DOL or anybody really would support those models and actually convert switches for them.

Finally, the 2002 does indeed have a unique electrical system outside of the typical CAN that was used in C classes (and the G starting in 2003) way before 2002. Since I have first hand knowledge, because I bought the window switches from you, our electrical systems are the same. Also looking at this thread, we definitely have the same components.

I just read your response and I think you said your gas gauge isn't working? That's crazy because, swapping clusters, used/new/virgin/g55/g500/g550 works in my 2003 model. The only thing that doesn't work is the fuel consumption and the overall miles. I think their could be something else wrong in your 2002, or they didn't update the fuel sensor?
Old 08-03-2020, 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 Mercedes E550 Sport
At the end of the day, I might just need updated fuel sensor.
Ill have electrician play with it when I have time and ill see what he finds out.

Sounds like 2002 and 2003 might be slightly different in some electronics.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:11 PM

2002 Mercedes Benz G500
steering wheel, window switches and seat switches

Everything works except for odometer, gas gauge and ESP/ABS lights are on.
I replaced ABS sensor with new ones (different electronics) and I was told they need to be programed to the vehicle.

I have someone locally who told me he wants to tackle it, but he's been busy... so I have to be patient.

I just make sure I fill up every couple days or so and don't drive in the snow ))

As far as the items that I sent to Russia (steering wheel, window switches and seat switches) those work perfectly.

hey K,
beautiful car and beautiful work on it. Can you please tell me which newer ones you bought for the following items please?

: steering wheel, window switches and seat switches

And do you have the Russian company contacts information who did the job for you?

thanks for sharing, bless!

-Justin
Old 08-03-2020, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 Mercedes E550 Sport
I PURCHASE ALL ON EBAY.
Steering wheel & airbag from 2015 Mercedes W205
Window switches from same, 2015 Mercedes W205
Seat switches, (driver side) any W205 (passenger side) from 2 door w205 since they have seat memory on them. Some 4 door W205 have seat memory on pass side, but rare.

The company in Russia was DolCar. Their instagram is dol.car

You can DM them on IG and tell them Alex from USA gave your the contact info.

I had to send them the all the switches, and steering wheel for them to re-program (rewire) them. Seat control have a separate control box that decodes signal from my 2002 to the 2015 controls
The following users liked this post:
Qi Sun (08-18-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 03:56 PM

G500
Templates for your 2002 interior upgrades. Please I am interested please email me fo

[QUOTE=Kobzarhomes;7098553]I'm actually making templates my self from scratch for door panels, B, C-pillars and dash. It's very labor intensive and I don't want to pay the shop to do it. I sent pictures of what I have done so far to the upholstery guy and he told me it's perfect ))

They will then transfer the template on to leather and stitch it all together.

As for seats, there's no need for templates since they will take the current seats apart and transfer the shapes on to leather and stitch it back together.

I was thinking of duplicating and selling templates once I'm done with them. If anyone is interested, direct msg me and we can chat about it.

Thank you

[/QUOTES
please I am interested in the templates for your 2002 G interior
please email me or text me on how much
winjobiseye@gmail.com
thanks
Old 08-06-2020, 10:51 AM

Received 443 Likes on 268 Posts
2005 G55K
Hey KH,

I have a question about your throttle pedal update. What was the reason you chose to replace the OE the pedal to the electronic version from the 230 chassis? How is the pedal feel/response? My throttle pedal in very wobbly and annoyingly uncomfortable to press, so if this could help fix some of those issues, I would want to look into it. What did you use to plug the holes in the firewall?

Thanks!

PS. I love rereading through your thread (the whole thing!) every now and then. I always end up picking up on a few new things that you did that is unique on the forums.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 Mercedes E550 Sport
Hello
I replaced my original with the w230 pedal because the newer newer (facelifted) g-wagons all have this version of pedal.
Feels like a regular newer Mercedes pedal. Feels good.
It did require 1 hole drilled in the floor and I created a bracket on the top to make it sturdy.
As for the firewall, the wire for the pedal still needs to go through it, but I used a rubber plug with a hole to cover the hole.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:34 PM

G500
Random thought, but from the looks of you interior refit, pulling the dash was one of the most time-consuming, more difficult parts of the job. If an upholsterer would want to redo the interior, would it be feasible to just pull the windshield and have him recover it in situ? Pulling the door panels, A pillars, B pillars and rear panels I've found are easy to do. The dash...not so much.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 Mercedes E550 Sport
Pulling dash was not easy for sure. I think because its an older type of dash, the technique of its attachment and its design makes it completed. Lots of wires, screws and zip-ties that are almost impossible to get to (not like new car with one piece molded dashes).
In my opinion, windshield has to be pulled in order to remove the dash since you need to unscrew the windshield defogger vents from the top of the dash.

I don't know if its possible to re-upholster the dash without removing it. If someone was really talented, maybe there is a way, but since the upholstery glue is not very forgiving...I would think it would be almost impossible.....
Old 08-12-2020, 02:10 AM

2002 Mercedes Benz G500
great looking seats

Originally Posted by Gwagonposer
Those seats are beautiful. May I ask, which model of the mercedes are they from? I want to get those! Thanks!
Old 08-13-2020, 01:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 Mercedes g500
Originally Posted by tedcorp
KH, don't you worry about the pace of this for a second! You share more than most of us have earned and more than some deserve.

The fact that you tore it down to the body in your garage is testament enough to how detailed this resto will be. The last time the truck was this naked was 15 years ago in Graz.

Thank you for inspiring me to put the AMG seats in Gwen and then for helping me get it right. Oh, and btw...I had mine in first...

If I'm right, this thread will be viewed for years while people visit and revisit your process and numerous modifications. No small mod is too strange to share, either! You never know what you do that may help another Gowner with their truck. I wish I had taken pictures of the repairs to my lighted door sills when I got them working for $5 instead of $500 or what have you. Let me know if you want help with that.

Anywho, keep up the great work and be honest about the sunroof...tell us if it leaks! That's a wicked mod!

You were right!!! My names bull from Toronto Canada I bought my 2002 g wagon partly because i found this thread and i have the time and patience to start a build like this and my greatest hope is that you guys are still around to give me a few pointers along the way.
Kobzarhomes (08-13-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 08:37 AM

2002 Mercedes Benz G500
Regarding 2002 into 2008 instrument cluster installation

Hello
Thank you

I did purchase a brand new G55 cluster but the only thing that's not working is the gas gauge.
I spoke to a local guy here who says he can program it to work, but he has been out of town for a while so I just have to wait **and visit gas station often to make sure I don't run out of gas )))

He asked me how many gallons was my gas tank... I guess he will some how program it separately from cars computer or something. Not sure yet, but I will update everyone once its done.

Sorry I can't be of more help at this time.

Hello Kob and everyone,

I also have a 2002 G500 and has been modifying over the years slowly. I bought my G in 2016 and bought the 2008 (I believe) G55 AMG instrument cluster and wanted to do facelift upgrade. It wasn’t easy. I read other post on mbworld and found out it can be done and someone in Chicago did it, but I live in Las Vegas. In Russia, people has upgraded it for 2002 version. It’s easier if it was a 2003 with all the electronics. But since we have the 2002, it’s not impossible but it’s harder. I bought the protocol converter ($500 from Mercteil), and a brand new cluster from dealership. It suppose to just plug in the two and reprogram and it should work. Although, I couldn’t find anyone here in vegas nor in California for the past years until Recently I found this amazing professional technician who helped me get the gas gauge working. So right now Odometer works, engine temperature works, speedometer and rpm works. The hard part is that I will need the new cluster and the same year of the G wagon to code the new cluster and then put it back to my 2002 G to make the settings work perfectly. But this is the person you want to find for any electronic and coding work on MB, BMW, Porsche.

Rocco’s Auto Tech:
775 w 17th St B,Costa Mesa,CA 92627
Old 10-11-2020, 11:05 PM

Received 13 Likes on 1 Post
2005 G500
atlclk, I would love to see pictures of how you did the center cluster upgrade without removing the dash
Old 11-16-2020, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G500 W463. Bentley Arnage, Audi Q7
amazing and inspiring thanks for your hard work...
looking to upgrade my seats and steering wheel soon!

Old 12-16-2020, 10:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G500 2001
Hi Kobzar, I'm finishing the 3 years long restauration of a 2001 G500 too :P
I just have an issue about wiring the new windows switch, rewired by Dolcar, to the new folding mirrors.
I couldn't undertsand how to connect the folding button which trigger a negative pulse, then I found a forum mentioning a module with the scheme below, but it seems to be out of production and I can't find an alternative one

Can you please help explaining how you did it?
Thanks in advance and kind regards

Last edited by Pandolf; 12-16-2020 at 10:19 AM.
CG 270cdi (12-16-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2002 G500 build/ restoration/ conversion photo thread