G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Delay in 2017 G550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 09:45 PM

Received 305 Likes on 231 Posts
E450 wagon, C43 AMG Cpe, C43 AMG Cab
There's a 2017 G65 with pictures on Ebay. Doesn't appear to be an authorized MB dealer.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes G Wagon
Originally Posted by pdeacon
There's a 2017 G65 with pictures on Ebay. Doesn't appear to be an authorized MB dealer.
How can you be sure it's a real 2017 from these photos. As far as I'm concerned, the only way to tell is to open up the glove box and look for the CarPlay connector.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:11 PM

Take a look at the size of the information screen on the center dash. It appears to be much larger than the one on my '16.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:16 PM

Mercedes G Wagon
Take a look at the size of the information screen on the center dash. It appears to be much larger than the one on my '16.
Ahh yes very good...I have much to learn. Love this forum. Who thinks the 2017 will be the last of this style? If so am I silly to think it'll be special as the last of this body style before they make it wider, softer, etc.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:33 PM

I'm curious to see what the new design will bring. Remember, MB has a lot at stake with this model. Although civilian models are sold in limited numbers the markup on them must be the highest of any vehicle in their product line. After 35 years I would wager that all start up costs such as R&D, tooling, etc. were amortized many years ago. I am looking forward to technology updates. The big question is whether it will lose its character and presence on the road. In the mean time I'm just enjoying the heck out of mine. I find that I'm rarely driving my other vehicles.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:45 PM

Mercedes G Wagon
I'm curious to see what the new design will bring. Remember, MB has a lot at stake with this model. Although civilian models are sold in limited numbers the markup on them must be the highest of any vehicle in their product line. After 35 years I would wager that all start up costs such as R&D, tooling, etc. were amortized many years ago. I am looking forward to technology updates. The big question is whether it will lose its character and presence on the road. In the mean time I'm just enjoying the heck out of mine. I find that I'm rarely driving my other vehicles.
Same thing could be said for the Defender. Yes Mercedes did invest a fortune making it compatible with modern emission standards, pedestrian crash standards, and all other things that kill off cool cars like this. BUT....those standards are tightening again and judging from the 2018 G we already saw from the spy shots they need a better solution. A lot of markets are going to require individual MPG performance in the future and not just brand averages like it's done now. Eventually it will be killed off and these things will be collector items... I could be wrong but history tends to repeat it self
Old 11-26-2016, 10:58 PM

Unfortunately I think you may be right about the individual vehicle standards putting pressure on the G Wagon as we know it. I do agree the collectability will probably follow in the footsteps of the Defender. Those models are bringing huge prices in my area and have been for some time. We shall see.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:20 PM

Mercedes G Wagon
She is here! Signing paperwork as we speak!
Old 11-29-2016, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by helinomad
She is here! Signing paperwork as we speak!
Sounds great. Give us your first impressions. Happy motoring!!!
Old 11-30-2016, 02:45 AM

Mercedes G Wagon
Sounds great. Give us your first impressions. Happy motoring!!!
What a day... After filling out a mountain of paper work I finally got a chance to drive the G550 for an extended period of time. Seriously, you'd think there would be less paper work if you are straight buying the car. Anyway, one thing I did decide on was getting the extended warranty to 6 years. Since I'm planning on keeping the car for sometime I thought this would pay for it self. I've had good luck getting the extended warranty on the Range Rover. I thought the price was reasonable but time will tell.

Having only driven the car once in the test drive almost 5 months ago when I ordered it, I have pretty much forgotten the experience. A few things that stood out to me as initial impressions:

-The steering is quite heavy but more accurate then I remembered. The 2016 G550 I tested I remember feeling more wandering on the highway. I wonder if the new BF Goodrich KO2 ATs on 18" rims are actually a good fit for this car because the steering was really solid and the car felt great on the road.

-The handling also felt a lot more solid then I remember. For some reason there seemed to be less body roll then I remember in the test drive. Perhaps that's attributed to the new adaptive suspension which was fun to play with.

-The looks are amazing. I have to thank my dealership for flawlessly executing what I wanted by deleting the front brush guard and switching to the 18" rims. They painted the blanking plates that I sourced from FourbyFour and it was a simple ordeal. In my opinion the brush guard just looks strange on the front of G. People were walking by the car in the dealership asking if it was a "euro-spec" G550 press car. I thought that was amusing. I also changed the rear tire carrier from the polished and delicate blingy one to the simple fabric one that comes on the lower spec G's in Europe. I really like the look of the black tire cover on a white car. It also took quite a bit of weight off the rear door making it easier to close.

-I was concerned that road noise was going to be an issue especially with the new ATs. Again I found the car's interior quieter then I remember in the test drive. I was able to use the handsfree easily without feeling like I was yelling over the highway noise. Way more civilized then I thought it would be.

-The infotainment system was worth the wait for the 2017 model...the interface is updated and on par with our new GLS. The screen graphics are much nicer and the screen seems much higher resolution. The backup camera is leaps beyond the old style and the supporting graphics are finally useful. Best of all however is CarPlay. It actually seems snappier and less buggy then the GLS. The whole system is excellent and the sound system is just so pleasingly good.

-Last of all is just how damn solid everything feels. The fit and finish is worlds better then Range Rover. It's like a naval ship...heavy and hewn from a single block of tungsten. The interior feels solid and well seated - no rattles to speak of anywhere. The G feels like it was engineered to be the last car you're going to buy. Those door and lock noises are intoxicating...no wonder it's the first thing a G owner wants to show off. The entire truck can essentially be summed up by closing the door.

I could go on but it's nothing you all don't know. I love it and I can't wait to drive it tomorrow. Here are some photos...I'll take some better ones later.

Delay in 2017 G550-img_2146-1-.jpg

Delay in 2017 G550-img_2144.jpg

Delay in 2017 G550-img_2153.jpg

Delay in 2017 G550-img_2151.jpg

Delay in 2017 G550-img_2154.jpg
Old 11-30-2016, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 C55, 15 S550, 16 G550
Looks very nice, can you show us a few interior shots of your new G550
Old 11-30-2016, 10:09 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
6x6 | 4x4
Originally Posted by helinomad
What a day... After filling out a mountain of paper work I finally got a chance to drive the G550 for an extended period of time. Seriously, you'd think there would be less paper work if you are straight buying the car. Anyway, one thing I did decide on was getting the extended warranty to 6 years. Since I'm planning on keeping the car for sometime I thought this would pay for it self. I've had good luck getting the extended warranty on the Range Rover. I thought the price was reasonable but time will tell.

Having only driven the car once in the test drive almost 5 months ago when I ordered it, I have pretty much forgotten the experience. A few things that stood out to me as initial impressions:

-The steering is quite heavy but more accurate then I remembered. The 2016 G550 I tested I remember feeling more wandering on the highway. I wonder if the new BF Goodrich KO2 ATs on 18" rims are actually a good fit for this car because the steering was really solid and the car felt great on the road.

-The handling also felt a lot more solid then I remember. For some reason there seemed to be less body roll then I remember in the test drive. Perhaps that's attributed to the new adaptive suspension which was fun to play with.

-The looks are amazing. I have to thank my dealership for flawlessly executing what I wanted by deleting the front brush guard and switching to the 18" rims. They painted the blanking plates that I sourced from FourbyFour and it was a simple ordeal. In my opinion the brush guard just looks strange on the front of G. People were walking by the car in the dealership asking if it was a "euro-spec" G550 press car. I thought that was amusing. I also changed the rear tire carrier from the polished and delicate blingy one to the simple fabric one that comes on the lower spec G's in Europe. I really like the look of the black tire cover on a white car. It also took quite a bit of weight off the rear door making it easier to close.

-I was concerned that road noise was going to be an issue especially with the new ATs. Again I found the car's interior quieter then I remember in the test drive. I was able to use the handsfree easily without feeling like I was yelling over the highway noise. Way more civilized then I thought it would be.

-The infotainment system was worth the wait for the 2017 model...the interface is updated and on par with our new GLS. The screen graphics are much nicer and the screen seems much higher resolution. The backup camera is leaps beyond the old style and the supporting graphics are finally useful. Best of all however is CarPlay. It actually seems snappier and less buggy then the GLS. The whole system is excellent and the sound system is just so pleasingly good.

-Last of all is just how damn solid everything feels. The fit and finish is worlds better then Range Rover. It's like a naval ship...heavy and hewn from a single block of tungsten. The interior feels solid and well seated - no rattles to speak of anywhere. The G feels like it was engineered to be the last car you're going to buy. Those door and lock noises are intoxicating...no wonder it's the first thing a G owner wants to show off. The entire truck can essentially be summed up by closing the door.

I could go on but it's nothing you all don't know. I love it and I can't wait to drive it tomorrow. Here are some photos...I'll take some better ones later.
Wow, looks awesome! I agree with you on the Brush Bar, it looks out of place for sure. I built a G63 without the Bar as well, and people were asking the same thing about it being a Euro Spec.

Your review should be quite helpful to other perspective buyers, especially regarding the Adaptive Suspension. That option is definitely worth the nominal charge.

I think you were smart in getting the Extended Warranty. If you do decide to sell before it expires, you will be able to refund a portion from MBFS.

I am sure you feel like it was worth the wait, and I am glad you are happy with the service your Local MB Dealer provided.

Enjoy!!!

Old 11-30-2016, 01:59 PM

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
2020 Toyota Land Cruiser Heritage Edition
Since the BF Goodrich AT T/A KO2's came up, I'm curious how others feel about tire options for a G63 to replace the stock summer tires with something that can be used year round. I'll be taking delivery of a 2017 G63 sometime next week assuming the boat arrives in Baltimore on schedule.

The stock tire size is 275/50R20, which has pretty limited options available and the options tend to be rather expensive. The salesperson spoke with the service department and confirmed that 275/55R20 will also work fine, which expands the options significantly and also brings prices down quite a bit.

I'm currently down to 3 choices:

1) BFG AT T/A KO2 in 275/55R20
2) Michelin Premier LTX in 275/55R20
3) Michelin Premier LTX in 275/50R20 (same as option 2, but in the stock tire size)

The BFG's get better ratings for deep snow and ice on TireRack, but the Michelin's get better ratings for all other conditions, and are still rated to be excellent in deep snow and ice. The BFG's have a lower speed rating (112 mph vs 130 mph).

Realistically, I'm not going to be doing any moderate/serious off roading in a brand new $150K vehicle. I also don't plan on driving anywhere near 100 mph, so the difference in speed rating doesn't seem important...

Keeping in mind that I only want 1 set of tires rather than swap between summer and winter tires, what would you guys do?

Last edited by greynlds; 11-30-2016 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 C43 Cabrio , 2012 G550 Edition Select ,2010 GL 550(sold) , 2009 C350 , 2004 C240
I run the BF Goodrich AT T/A KO2's on my 2012 G550 year round a am very happy with them . A firm ride but they work great in our Canadian winters .
Old 11-30-2016, 11:28 PM

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
2020 Toyota Land Cruiser Heritage Edition
Originally Posted by 1Cigarette
I run the BF Goodrich AT T/A KO2's on my 2012 G550 year round a am very happy with them . A firm ride but they work great in our Canadian winters .
Thanks; I had an earlier version of the KO2 (I don't recall exactly which version) on my 1995 Land Rover Discovery and was quite happy with those. Everything I've heard seems to suggest that the KO2's are the best iteration of these tires yet.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:48 PM

Mercedes G Wagon
Originally Posted by mzcloud
Looks very nice, can you show us a few interior shots of your new G550
Here you go. Aside from the screen the interior seems identical to the 2016 model.

Delay in 2017 G550-img_2157.jpg

Delay in 2017 G550-img_2158.jpg
Old 12-01-2016, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 C55, 15 S550, 16 G550
[QUOTE=helinomad;6983416]Here you go. Aside from the screen the interior seems identical to the 2016 model.

The screen is much bigger than the 2016 model. Good choice on the piano lacquer trim.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by greynlds
Since the BF Goodrich AT T/A KO2's came up, I'm curious how others feel about tire options for a G63 to replace the stock summer tires with something that can be used year round. I'll be taking delivery of a 2017 G63 sometime next week assuming the boat arrives in Baltimore on schedule.

The stock tire size is 275/50R20, which has pretty limited options available and the options tend to be rather expensive. The salesperson spoke with the service department and confirmed that 275/55R20 will also work fine, which expands the options significantly and also brings prices down quite a bit.

I'm currently down to 3 choices:

1) BFG AT T/A KO2 in 275/55R20
2) Michelin Premier LTX in 275/55R20
3) Michelin Premier LTX in 275/50R20 (same as option 2, but in the stock tire size)

The BFG's get better ratings for deep snow and ice on TireRack, but the Michelin's get better ratings for all other conditions, and are still rated to be excellent in deep snow and ice. The BFG's have a lower speed rating (112 mph vs 130 mph).

Realistically, I'm not going to be doing any moderate/serious off roading in a brand new $150K vehicle. I also don't plan on driving anywhere near 100 mph, so the difference in speed rating doesn't seem important...

Keeping in mind that I only want 1 set of tires rather than swap between summer and winter tires, what would you guys do?
I've got the Pirelli all season tires that came from the factory with my optional 19" AMG wheels. They seem to be fine but I haven't experienced them in snow as yet. I also don't like switching tires on a seasonal basis. I'll just offer this from my experience with a GMC Denali pickup I owned for a couple of years as a winter vehicle. I swapped out the factory tires for Michelin all season tires in the appropriate size and they litterly transformed the ride and handling of the truck, They were also much quieter than the stock tires. I'm toying with the idea of switching out my Pirellis for the Michelins on the G. I really don't have any complaints as it performs now but based on my previous experience with the Michelins I have the swap out in the back of my mind. Long and short of it is that I would highly recommend the Michelins. I'm not familiar with the particular model you are referring to but I know the all seasons worked fine for me. Of course the weather conditions where you reside would also play into your choice. Good luck with your search.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:40 PM

Mercedes G Wagon
I ended up sizing up a size to 265/65 R18. I think it fills the wheel well a little better and had no side effects on ESP, handling, rubbing at full articulation, transmission shifting, or speedometer. At only 1" over stock it's really not a big deal but I think it looks a bit better. Here are a couple photos. Truck is stock otherwise:

The following 2 users liked this post by helinomad:
Holson (11-04-2018), Sarlox (11-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2016, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 C43 Cabrio , 2012 G550 Edition Select ,2010 GL 550(sold) , 2009 C350 , 2004 C240
Looks great .
I just checked what I had installed . LT265/60-18 . I looked at the load capacity of the P tires and thought they were close to max so I went with the LT tires . Probably where the firm ride comes from .
Enjoy the new ride .
Old 12-06-2016, 11:15 PM

Mercedes G Wagon
Alright good news...the spare tire cover does fit, albeit tightly, over a fully inflated (40psi) 265/65 R18 BFG AT KOs tire.

The following users liked this post:
Holson (08-09-2020)
Old 01-02-2017, 05:07 AM

2015 CLS400 | 2009 S550
Originally Posted by NYCBenz
I am sure you feel like it was worth the wait
@NYCBenz I have a Mystic White MY17G550 on order at Mercedes Benz in San Jose.

Considering the Designo 2 tone interior, would you be able to provide any insight as to when you think it would deliver.?? It goes into production this week!
Old 01-02-2017, 10:08 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
6x6 | 4x4
Originally Posted by Dr.GL450
@NYCBenz I have a Mystic White MY17G550 on order at Mercedes Benz in San Jose.

Considering the Designo 2 tone interior, would you be able to provide any insight as to when you think it would deliver.?? It goes into production this week!
Replied to your PM.
The following users liked this post:
T Class (01-02-2017)
Old 04-16-2018, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
18 G550, 18 C350e
I want to get that tire cover for my 2018 but not planning on putting narrower tires yet, from your experience do you think it would stretch over a tire that’s almost a full in wider? 275/55/19 , the oem size

thanks!
Old 10-13-2020, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
18 G550, 18 C350e
Circling back to this - thanks to @helinomad for the inspiration, I ordered the vinyl spare tire cover and it fits fine though snug over the 265/55/19 (yes smaller than the 4 other tires) spare. FYI based on looking at pictures online there is probably a sticker for the tire cover that doesn’t have the letterings and there’s even a Puch G one for those who have a Puch G