G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Joining the G550 family soon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 11:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 G550 (on order)
Joining the G550 family soon

I decided to get off the continuous leasing cycle and sold my 2015 M3 in lieu of buying something new and actually starting to build a collection. So I decided to consolidate things a little and look for a sweet SUV that I would enjoy year round. Long story short when I started looking at high performance SUV's I discovered that G550's were comparable in price, so I decided to embrace one of my childhood desires and buy a G550. I ordered a magnetite black metallic G550 and it should be in around the end of September to the beginning of October. I look forward to continuing to learn more about this amazing vehicle.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:31 PM

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Congratulations and welcome! You'll absolutely love it. All the great parts along with all the quirks.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:31 AM

Received 305 Likes on 231 Posts
E450 wagon, C43 AMG Cpe, C43 AMG Cab
Originally Posted by Lt CHEG
I decided to get off the continuous leasing cycle and sold my 2015 M3 in lieu of buying something new and actually starting to build a collection. So I decided to consolidate things a little and look for a sweet SUV that I would enjoy year round. Long story short when I started looking at high performance SUV's I discovered that G550's were comparable in price, so I decided to embrace one of my childhood desires and buy a G550. I ordered a magnetite black metallic G550 and it should be in around the end of September to the beginning of October. I look forward to continuing to learn more about this amazing vehicle.
Welcome aboard. The G is an interesting vehicle. Very entertaining and capable in most conditions. It is a far cry from your M3 in handling but then again, it is not designed for the track. I hope you had an opportunity to take one for an extended test drive in varying driving situations. As I have said many times on this forum, the G is not for everyone. Good luck. Happy motoring!
Old 04-10-2017, 07:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 MB G500 NMLE, 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige
I've owned and driven a G since 1984, and have loved every minute behind their wheels. Just don't forget that it is a truck.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 G550 (on order)
Actually, my M3 was the first sports car I ever owned and only the second car I've ever owned period. Most of the vehicles I've owned over the years have been trucks. In fact our other vehicle will be my 2015 Ram 3500 crew cab with Cummins diesel and Aisin automatic. The truck nature of the G isn't a bother to my wife either, as she's driven my trucks before on occasion and actually fell in love with the ride position and visibility of the G550. I'm sure I'll add another sporty car in a couple years when my truck is paid off, but in the mean time I wanted something unique, luxurious and just plain cool that I could enjoy year round. I almost went with a GLE AMG 63s or a BMW X5M, but I wanted to get something that I'd be happy holding onto for years this time and I knew that whatever changes they make to each of those vehicles in the next few years would leave me wanting the newest one. The virtually unchanged, timeless design of the G550 really put me firmly in that camp. I'll probably add a Porsche 911 in a few years as I've really come to appreciate designs that don't change so radically every 4-6 years.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lt CHEG
Actually, my M3 was the first sports car I ever owned and only the second car I've ever owned period. Most of the vehicles I've owned over the years have been trucks. In fact our other vehicle will be my 2015 Ram 3500 crew cab with Cummins diesel and Aisin automatic. The truck nature of the G isn't a bother to my wife either, as she's driven my trucks before on occasion and actually fell in love with the ride position and visibility of the G550. I'm sure I'll add another sporty car in a couple years when my truck is paid off, but in the mean time I wanted something unique, luxurious and just plain cool that I could enjoy year round. I almost went with a GLE AMG 63s or a BMW X5M, but I wanted to get something that I'd be happy holding onto for years this time and I knew that whatever changes they make to each of those vehicles in the next few years would leave me wanting the newest one. The virtually unchanged, timeless design of the G550 really put me firmly in that camp. I'll probably add a Porsche 911 in a few years as I've really come to appreciate designs that don't change so radically every 4-6 years.
Under your scenario you will be just fine with the G. I've always had a pickup along with my other cars but my wife would never drive my truck. Now I can't get her out of the G. She loves the visibility and driving position. With the short hood it is easy to judge. It is a truck for sure but a well turned out one that is a pleasure to drive and easy to maneuver. I think you did the right thing passing on the GLE and X5. Wish you the best. Sounds like you have a rather long wait for delivery. Happy motoring!
Old 04-10-2017, 05:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
G 270 cdi
It sounds like you made this decision for the right reasons. I like you, have other vehicles that are trucks, no cars. The visibility, head room for tall folks, etc. are tops.

Where I live/work, the design is as good or better than any other vehicle for challenging through the river and through the woods/reversing between trees types of drives. And it is no slouch for comfort/lux evenings in town.

Welcome to the club!
Old 04-10-2017, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bmw m3
I am a longtime M3 driver-- I've had mine since 2002. But times change, and I have a family now, and I've moved out of the city. So I reserved a G550 at my local dealer which will arrive in late May. This will be quite a change! I love a lot about the G, but I have to admit I was surprised by the test drive, even though I'd read a lot of warnings.

Before I commit, I will try to rent one for a couple days for an extended test drive. However, except in Los Angeles, Manhattan, Las Vegas and Miami, its pretty hard to get a hold of a rental at any price.

Last edited by loggerbud; 04-10-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by loggerbud
I am a longtime M3 driver-- I've had mine since 2002. But times change, and I have a family now, and I've moved out of the city. So I reserved a G550 at my local dealer which will arrive in late May. This will be quite a change! I love a lot about the G, but I have to admit I was surprised by the test drive, even though I'd read a lot of warnings.

Before I commit, I will try to rent one for a couple days for an extended test drive. However, except in Los Angeles, Manhattan, Las Vegas and Miami, its pretty hard to get a hold of one at any price.
Why not ask your dealer to let you take one out for a couple of hours. If they are the selling dealer it should not be a problem. Just a thought.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:40 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
cars and stuff
Originally Posted by pdeacon
Why not ask your dealer to let you take one out for a couple of hours. If they are the selling dealer it should not be a problem. Just a thought.
That's quite hit or miss in my experience. The dealer I bought my first 3 AMG vehicles from would never even consider such a thing. They didn't even want to let me test drive my S63 and only consented after I went elsewhere and looked at one and drove it. I didn't really like the color/options of the one at the other dealer or I would've just bought it. Contrast that with the dealer I use now since I moved that couldn't be more accommodating of anything I've asked of them, even before I purchased my first car from them. Certainly doesn't hurt to ask though.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
G 270 cdi
It seems like you need to get in front of the dealer/manager/owner and ask them this very reasonable request. They should have an option for you even if it isn't to drive the brand new one. Maybe they have a used one on the lot for you to try.

My local dealer sucks 75% of the time and it's the only one in the country. So, it could be worse.