G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Rattles inside my G63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 S63 AMG Sedan
Rattles inside my G63

Hello Forum,

This is my first post here, I recently got 2014 G63 from a friend, who babied the car, it came in a perfect condition with 24k miles on it.

So far I have been enjoying the car, put 21 forged wheels on it, Brabus hood scoop and brabus lip. My biggest concern is probably around 1 million rattles inside the car, and some of them are 100% not normal. More info below:

1 - lots of rattle / sound coming from under dashboard when driving over small bumps or potholes. It sounds like dashboard came out of its "hooks" and just jumping around on bumps. Anyone else has this?

2 - noise from the back seat under the plastic cover. I took it off and put a lot of sticky foam on the metal bars, it seems quieter, but still I can hear some rattle on bumps, maybe not from backrest, but bottom part of the seat. Any idea / suggestions?

3 - squeaking noise from passenger seatbelt lock (when in use) OMG this started like 1 month ago and damn its loud, any minimal bump on the road starts this squeak. What should I do?

4 - Rattle from the trunk? sounds like a curtain bar, but I put foam on the sides of it so its doesn't move around. I tried driving without this bar, but noise is still there, maybe something in that area under the plastic?

5 - noise from the drivers seatbelt (top part) right next to my ear, very minimal noise, but since its right next to my ear, I "enjoy" it through the whole ride.

These are all for now, please anyone let me know how to cure these. I am getting tired of this orchestra inside the car pretty fast

Rattles inside my G63-screen-shot-2017-04-23-10.25.58-pm.png
Old 04-24-2017, 01:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
das
Originally Posted by bkhudomaka
Hello Forum,

This is my first post here, I recently got 2014 G63 from a friend, who babied the car, it came in a perfect condition with 24k miles on it.

So far I have been enjoying the car, put 21 forged wheels on it, Brabus hood scoop and brabus lip. My biggest concern is probably around 1 million rattles inside the car, and some of them are 100% not normal. More info below:

1 - lots of rattle / sound coming from under dashboard when driving over small bumps or potholes. It sounds like dashboard came out of its "hooks" and just jumping around on bumps. Anyone else has this?

2 - noise from the back seat under the plastic cover. I took it off and put a lot of sticky foam on the metal bars, it seems quieter, but still I can hear some rattle on bumps, maybe not from backrest, but bottom part of the seat. Any idea / suggestions?

3 - squeaking noise from passenger seatbelt lock (when in use) OMG this started like 1 month ago and damn its loud, any minimal bump on the road starts this squeak. What should I do?

4 - Rattle from the trunk? sounds like a curtain bar, but I put foam on the sides of it so its doesn't move around. I tried driving without this bar, but noise is still there, maybe something in that area under the plastic?

5 - noise from the drivers seatbelt (top part) right next to my ear, very minimal noise, but since its right next to my ear, I "enjoy" it through the whole ride.

These are all for now, please anyone let me know how to cure these. I am getting tired of this orchestra inside the car pretty fast

Attachment 353312
I too have a 2014 G63. I don't have any of the rattles that you outlined. Truck is drum-tight and I'm very particular about rattles.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:55 PM

2015 S63 AMG Sedan
Hey, thanks for the reply. I took the car to the dealer twice about these rattles and all they say is

"this specific vehicle is exposed to extra rattles due to its nature"
Old 04-24-2017, 09:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
G 270 cdi
Do you know if your friend, the previous owner, liked to fix things himself? Were repairs done at home or in the workshop? Also, are there modifications to the original interior? Did the original owner change the seats or upholstry?
Old 04-24-2017, 11:58 PM

2015 S63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by CG 270cdi
Do you know if your friend, the previous owner, liked to fix things himself? Were repairs done at home or in the workshop? Also, are there modifications to the original interior? Did the original owner change the seats or upholstry?
I know the owner, he took an amazing care of vehicle, no repairs were done as the vehicle was brand new when he got it. When I got it from him it was showroom condition. No modifications to the interior, everything is stock inside.

I am taking a car to a dealer tmrw, let's see what they can do
Old 04-25-2017, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 240 Likes on 159 Posts
2011 Mercedes E550 Sport
I bet the 21 inch wheels might "possibly" have "something" to do with it....
Also, try test driving similar vehicle at the dealer with 20" wheels. See if you might hear similar rattles.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:26 AM

2015 S63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by Kobzarhomes
I bet the 21 inch wheels might "possibly" have "something" to do with it....
Also, try test driving similar vehicle at the dealer with 20" wheels. See if you might hear similar rattles.
Well I had stock wheels on it before, can't recall all of the noises, but some were still there + these 21 forged wheels I have are exact sizing as G65 wheels that Mercedes puts from factory
Old 04-25-2017, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 240 Likes on 159 Posts
2011 Mercedes E550 Sport
I would test driving similar car and compare.

Im sure each g-wagon will have "some" squeaks and rattles... some might have them more then others.

Under the dash, could be something bolt/nut got loose or something is rubbing agains something else.

Under the back seat, could be around the subwoofer or loose bracket on the seat. Sometimes they have a tool kit under the back seat.

Seatbelt buckle might need to be replaced.

In the trunk, could be a spare tire rattle...

Driver side seatbelt area, could be rattle from the seatbelt hight adjuster. Try adjusting the hight and see if it does anything.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:38 AM

2015 S63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by Kobzarhomes
I would test driving similar car and compare.

Im sure each g-wagon will have "some" squeaks and rattles... some might have them more then others.

Under the dash, could be something bolt/nut got loose or something is rubbing agains something else.

Under the back seat, could be around the subwoofer or loose bracket on the seat. Sometimes they have a tool kit under the back seat.

Seatbelt buckle might need to be replaced.

In the trunk, could be a spare tire rattle...

Driver side seatbelt area, could be rattle from the seatbelt hight adjuster. Try adjusting the hight and see if it does anything.
Thanks for the quick reply

I will try to test drive a brand new G wagon tmrw at the dealership and analyze it.

Noted on noise under the dash, I think the only solution for them is to take it off and check all the parts.

Back seat tool kit - I took it off right away as it made a special noise while driving, so I figured that was it. Other noise is still present.

Hope so on seat belt buckle.

I removed spare tire at all, no more noise from there as well

Tried adjusting the seat belt, noise is present at any position. I will post updates once these will be taken care of
Old 04-27-2017, 10:39 AM
haa

Received 183 Likes on 138 Posts
Dash rattles and squeeks may also coming from the hood. The hood of the G63 is notorious for rattles and squeeks. Have the dealer tighten the stops and the latches. Most of the side squeeks and rattles come from the door latch mechanism. There is a triangular black stabilizer that keeps the heavy doors in place. make sure the contact points are lubricated or greased. The rear folding seat hinges and locking mechanism and the seatbelt anchor hinges also squeek and can be easily lubricated.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 G63 AMG
I noticed in my 16 that the seat belts actually swing around and tap the side of the car when driving or going over bumps. To fix that I just clipped them in place even though no one is seated back there. That may help
Old 04-28-2017, 09:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
G-Class
I think throughout time its going to happen. I purchased my 2015 G550 brand new with only 10 miles on the car. It was great at first but now its rattles a lot of times. Rattles from the trunk and I have no idea what the cause can be. It also rattles around each seat belt side but its not the seat belt that causes the issue. Regardless, I guess G class has the tendency to cause such sounds throughout time. Good luck!
Old 05-24-2017, 11:51 AM

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts
Mercedes G63
Originally Posted by bkhudomaka
Well I had stock wheels on it before, can't recall all of the noises, but some were still there + these 21 forged wheels I have are exact sizing as G65 wheels that Mercedes puts from factory
Smaller wheels with more rubber of course will ride smoother. Check the air pressure in your 21s, may be able to come down a bit so it will not rattle the suspension so much on the rides.

Go outside while parked and push on the front of the hood side to side. They can make loud squeaks sometimes thats sounds like its in the dash, and you can isolate the metal to metal contact on the front tabs if need be. Many times on a parked vehicle you can replicate some sounds by just pushing on the suspension, than they are easier to find. Have a pusher helper.

Rear door latch may be out of adjustment and or spare tire, push on your spare tire and door while its parked to see if you can get it to replicate. A good thing to check is all your door seals, including the back door. Wash them all and lubricate them with the appropriate stuff. Flexing and movement can make them throw weird squeaks out. Try some Krytox on them. I believe VW makes it in aerosol and grease and its seal compatible.

The seat belt unit. Just replace it if you have to. Maybe you can take it apart and lubricate it internally. Squeaking is friction, so if you can get something in-between the two culprit parts, you are good to go. Always start with the easy squeaks first and save the bad ones for last. Last thing is make sure there is nothing in the interior somewhere thats making the noise. First thing I always do is empty out the stuff from the glove compartment, etc. I have had sunglasses rattle before and trick me.

Last edited by Jagdpanzer; 05-24-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
G63 AMG
what kind of wheels are they?
looks pretty sharp.
The following users liked this post:
bkhudomaka (06-11-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 08:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G550
I've eliminated a number of rattles and squeaks with lithium grease spray. Major areas for me were:
Rear Door - interior facia at top around rear window on both sides of brake light rattled against metal door. sprayed gap where facia meets metal. Rattle completely stopped.
Driver door - same thing... Interior facia along front of driver door around window frame squeaking during road movement. Application of lithium spray in gap between facia and metal door frame stopped all noise.
Rattle in/near rear seats - opened compartments in rear seat floorboards to adjust/tighten tools, jack, etc... Also lubed rear seat to floor latches with Lithium Spray. All noise ceased.
Still have exterior squeaking that I have yet to isolate. Could be hood, brushguard, suspension or god knows... but I am on a mission to find it.

Good Luck!
The following users liked this post:
bkhudomaka (06-11-2017)