G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Extended Warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 12:54 AM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 G550, '15 F82, ‘22 Taycan CT4
Extended Warranty?

For me, this is usually an instant reject.

The dealership told me a 5 year warranty for the cosmetic portions of the car could be sold to me for $2500 from its usual price of $7000+

Sounds like a bargain but the usual price is something that can be fabricated no? "Down from $1,000,000"!

I ended up passing. What do you guys/gals normally do with the extended warranty? Worth it for a car this expensive? A rip off at any price?

(FWIW, I think I made the right choice. The business manager's demeanor immediately took a turn for the worse upon rejection. Makes me think he stands to profit significantly if I were to take him up on that offer)
Old 04-29-2018, 11:09 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C230, G550
After 5 Yrs My battery Died, My Starter Died, and My Alternator Died, The seal failed on my Power steering Reservoir, and my Passenger Side rear window fell off the hinges all within a few months of each other Conviently the month after the CPO warranty expired. The $2500 doesnt include the $250 per trip Diagnosis fee. Otherwise its been very solid. You can always buy the warranty later.

What pissed me off the most, even when I had the warranty, was that it seemed like they didnt want to fix anything. I had to kinda argue with them about it.... As a matter of fact when I originally took it in about the sluggish start the service sales rep tried to say that the issue was in my mind. Then he said that he only replaced the secondary starting battery, then I took it back to a different rep and she finally relaced the starter. Now it starts up fine.

Last edited by TuLsaViPeR; 04-29-2018 at 11:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DarrVao777 (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by TuLsaViPeR
After 5 Yrs My battery Died, My Starter Died, and My Alternator Died, The seal failed on my Power steering Reservoir, and my Passenger Side rear window fell off the hinges all within a few months of each other Conviently the month after the CPO warranty expired. The $2500 doesnt include the $250 per trip Diagnosis fee. Otherwise its been very solid. You can always buy the warranty later.

What pissed me off the most, even when I had the warranty, was that it seemed like they didnt want to fix anything. I had to kinda argue with them about it.... As a matter of fact when I originally took it in about the sluggish start the service sales rep tried to say that the issue was in my mind. Then he said that he only replaced the secondary starting battery, then I took it back to a different rep and she finally relaced the starter. Now it starts up fine.
Thanks for sharing your experience, I'm sorry you've had so many issues with it

We were told the warranty had to be purchased at time of delivery so we missed that window apparently

I've had a similar experience after paying for the BMW extended warranty where the dealership just didn't want to fix anything. This 5 year unlimited mile warranty seemed to be for more cosmetic items (tires/rims/dents/interior), no mention of any actual drivetrain issues.

At any rate, loving the new car but I typically tend to trade these in after 4 - 5 years anyway so I think I made the right call. Was just curious whether other owners typically go for the warranty after having spent so much money on the main vehicle anyway
Old 04-29-2018, 04:52 PM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
6x6 | 4x4
Originally Posted by DarrVao777
This 5 year unlimited mile warranty seemed to be for more cosmetic items (tires/rims/dents/interior), no mention of any actual drivetrain issues.
Based on what the warranty "covers", this does not sound like a MBUSA warranty, which I would stay far far away from, as there are lots of issues with the warranty company actually covering things when the time comes.

They should have offered you a Mercedes-Benz extended warranty, which would have been much more than $2,000. That, I would have purchased if you plan on keeping the Truck for a long time. That Warranty also can be partially refunded if you sell the Truck before it expires.
DarrVao777 (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by NYCBenz
Based on what the warranty "covers", this does not sound like a MBUSA warranty, which I would stay far far away from, as there are lots of issues with the warranty company actually covering things when the time comes.

They should have offered you a Mercedes-Benz extended warranty, which would have been much more than $2,000. That, I would have purchased if you plan on keeping the Truck for a long time. That Warranty also can be partially refunded if you sell the Truck before it expires.
Hmm, I thought the same thing myself but the dealership also warned against 3rd party warranties so I'm assuming it would be a MBUSA program. They did say it would be partially refunded if I sold the truck before this warranty expired.

They also mentioned an extended MB warranty that would cover actual mechanical issues but said that I could get at any time so long as I was still under the original 4 yr/50000 mile warranty. No pricing was offered to me on that one.

Loving the truck so far, I can see why G owners are so passionate about them
Old 04-29-2018, 05:08 PM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
6x6 | 4x4
Hmm, I thought the same thing myself but the dealership also warned against 3rd party warranties so I'm assuming it would be a MBUSA program. They did say it would be partially refunded if I sold the truck before this warranty expired.

They also mentioned an extended MB warranty that would cover actual mechanical issues but said that I could get at any time so long as I was still under the original 4 yr/50000 mile warranty. No pricing was offered to me on that one.

Loving the truck so far, I can see why G owners are so passionate about them
MBUSA doesn't offer a cosmetic warranty. They do offer wheel/tire insurance, but I think that is more than $2,500, and it isn't covered under the original 4 Year/50,000 mile warranty.

Dealers do offer paint/interior protection warranties, but those are not MBUSA. And they aren't expensive generally.

Did you get Pre-Paid scheduled maintenance? That is a pretty good deal to purchase at time of signing, if you plan on taking your G to the dealer to get serviced. Pricing for that can be found at mbusa.com.

Anyway, glad you like the truck, they are definitely awesome.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by NYCBenz
MBUSA doesn't offer a cosmetic warranty. They do offer wheel/tire insurance, but I think that is more than $2,500, and it isn't covered under the original 4 Year/50,000 mile warranty.

Dealers do offer paint/interior protection warranties, but those are not MBUSA. And they aren't expensive generally.

Did you get Pre-Paid scheduled maintenance? That is a pretty good deal to purchase at time of signing, if you plan on taking your G to the dealer to get serviced. Pricing for that can be found at mbusa.com.

Anyway, glad you like the truck, they are definitely awesome.
I see, sounds like it was a dealer specific program then (perhaps why they were pushing so hard)

They did mention the pre-paid scheduled maintenance to me but it was a brief blurb. They really pushed hard for the paint/interior/tire protection citing what a great deal it was to drop from $7000 to $2500. They did mention that I would be able to get the pre-paid scheduled maintenance at a later date if desired (I think it represented a 30% savings to do so). I do plan on going to the dealer so may look into this.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 04-29-2018, 06:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C230, G550
Thanks for sharing your experience, I'm sorry you've had so many issues with it

We were told the warranty had to be purchased at time of delivery so we missed that window apparently

I've had a similar experience after paying for the BMW extended warranty where the dealership just didn't want to fix anything. This 5 year unlimited mile warranty seemed to be for more cosmetic items (tires/rims/dents/interior), no mention of any actual drivetrain issues.

At any rate, loving the new car but I typically tend to trade these in after 4 - 5 years anyway so I think I made the right call. Was just curious whether other owners typically go for the warranty after having spent so much money on the main vehicle anyway
Bullcrap thats a High Pressure sales pitch... The extended warranty has to be purchased before the current warranty expires. (Original Factory, or CPO). Yes I think that you made the right call...
The only benefit that I can see about purchasing the warranty when you buy the car is that you get to finance the warranty within the purchase as opposed to putting on a high interest credit card or paying cash.

one thing about the CPO warranty is that once I took the car to a different dealer and he told me that the truck was not under CPO when I knew that it was ( I had it for 2 months), I didnt appreciate the Lying games.
DarrVao777 (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
18 G550, 18 C350e
That exterior warranty sounds fishy - probably a 3rd party warranty as viper mentioned

i did get the extra factory MB warranty to 7r 75k mi since I plan on keeping the car long term. I think you can purchase it after you buy the car as long as it’s still under warranty

post some pics when you get a break from enjoying it!

I skipped on the prepaid maintenance .. now wondering if I should have gone for it. I was planning on using a well known independent in the Bay Area for routine maintenance
Old 04-29-2018, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Holson
That exterior warranty sounds fishy - probably a 3rd party warranty as viper mentioned

i did get the extra factory MB warranty to 7r 75k mi since I plan on keeping the car long term. I think you can purchase it after you buy the car as long as it’s still under warranty

post some pics when you get a break from enjoying it!

I skipped on the prepaid maintenance .. now wondering if I should have gone for it. I was planning on using a well known independent in the Bay Area for routine maintenance
Will do! My dealership mentioned that the prepaid maintenance is available to purchase at any time, maybe it differs from place to place?