Notices
G-Class (W460, W461, W463) 1980-Present: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G 250, G 300, G 300 DT, G 320, G 500, G55 AMG

G63 Daily Driver

 
Old 10-21-2018, 04:22 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 271
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
2015 SL550, 2018 G63
G63 Daily Driver

Hello everyone, new member here. Currently looking at pulling the trigger on a 2018 G63. Not interested in waiting for 2019's nor in paying full or over MSRP. I have a 2015 SL550 that I plan on keeping so there is a nice balance here. I drove the 63 the other day around town (live in the city) and it was a ton of fun, so no complaints with regards to city driving. I think I get it.

We have a beach house that is about a 2.5 hour drive that we go to a few times a month. How is the highway driving? What type of characteristics should I expect on the highway? I've scoured the internet and have read all types of opinions. Many stating that the G is great as long as you drive less than an hour or don't take it on long drives. I am not planning on trading or flipping so this is a long term commitment for me. While I have the SL as my other car I plan on driving the G most of the time, especially during winter months.

Also, the 63 comes with summer tires. I don't plan on taking it out in deep snow but would like the comfort of knowing that it can handle a few inches on streets if needed. Can anyone chime in on this? Should I consider all-seasons?

Many thanks in advance.
places is online now  
Old 10-21-2018, 09:21 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 254
Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts
2018 G63 AMG x2, 2017 BMW M6
My 2018 G63 is my DAILY DRIVER. I am on the freeway (highway/interstate) 4-5x a week and also plenty of Los Angeles city driving in between. Love, Love, Love my G63. The amazingly high seating position is beyond awesome for visibility. The G is easy to maneuver and with the width being a little narrower than most all other suvs or even cars...so easy to park!

The G is most comfortable on the highway, but not uncomfortable with city driving! We are on G #10 (I think, lol) and have driven across state lines many times....supreme comfort. I do not understand a single complaint about the G being uncomfortable and the seats are even approved by the National German Back Foundation!

MPG is awful, awful, awful...but it is a G, so should not be a surprise, but man.....Chevron better send me a damn fruit basket for Christmas!!

You will not regret an '18 G-Class. Might be the best vehicle you have ever owned!
Deutsch100 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
places (10-22-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 09:22 PM
  #3  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 655
Received 178 Likes on 141 Posts
G550, C300, E400 Cab 25 Ann, C230K
I'm glad you had a chance to drive the G63 around the city. The only problem I have encountered when visiting the city is that some of the parking garages have low ceiling heights that could cause a problem. I almost got trapped in one when I first got the G but luckily was able to escape unscathed. The highway handling characteristics are another thing. It is not going to go down the road in a smooth and relaxed fashion..like your SL. I have taken the G on one long trip and it does wear on you after several hours. I have two other Benzes in the garage and opt for either of them for long distance touring. There are some on this forum who have disagreed with this position but for me it is like night and day. The higher the speed in the G the more you have to pay attention. Remember, this is a 35 year old design that has been improved over the years but it is basically a solid axle truck. Don't get me wrong, with all of the G's shortcomings it is a "hoot" to drive and is the most used vehicle in my garage. I wouldn't be without one. I think a lot of the shortcomings with handling will be corrected with the MY 19 units. We shall see once they start hitting the streets and are subjected to real world driving. I can't wait to drive one. Good luck with your decision. Keep us posted on your progress.
pdeacon is offline  
The following users liked this post:
places (10-22-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 10:34 PM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 224
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
w205 C43, 958.1 CTT
Originally Posted by Deutsch100 View Post
My 2018 G63 is my DAILY DRIVER. I am on the freeway (highway/interstate) 4-5x a week and also plenty of Los Angeles city driving in between. Love, Love, Love my G63. The amazingly high seating position is beyond awesome for visibility. The G is easy to maneuver and with the width being a little narrower than most all other suvs or even cars...so easy to park!

The G is most comfortable on the highway, but not uncomfortable with city driving! We are on G #10 (I think, lol) and have driven across state lines many times....supreme comfort. I do not understand a single complaint about the G being uncomfortable and the seats are even approved by the National German Back Foundation!

MPG is awful, awful, awful...but it is a G, so should not be a surprise, but man.....Chevron better send me a damn fruit basket for Christmas!!

You will not regret an '18 G-Class. Might be the best vehicle you have ever owned!
what kind of gas mileage are you averaging on the highway? i had a cayenne turbo and was averaging around 12 city and 19-20 highway during normal driving.
sterz85 is offline  
Old 10-22-2018, 12:33 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 254
Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts
2018 G63 AMG x2, 2017 BMW M6
Originally Posted by sterz85 View Post
what kind of gas mileage are you averaging on the highway? i had a cayenne turbo and was averaging around 12 city and 19-20 highway during normal driving.
MPG is pretty consistent in the G, especially the G63. It is ALWAYS between 10-12; 12-14mpg on the highway with the perfect speed, flat road, no wind, perfect humidity and angels helping. LOL
Deutsch100 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
sterz85 (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 05:08 AM
  #6  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 655
Received 178 Likes on 141 Posts
G550, C300, E400 Cab 25 Ann, C230K
If you are concerned about mileage, save yourself some grief....don't buy one. Consistently 12 to 15 MPG. At least it has a large tank that helps with range.
pdeacon is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Deutsch100 (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 09:16 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 254
Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts
2018 G63 AMG x2, 2017 BMW M6
Originally Posted by pdeacon View Post
If you are concerned about mileage, save yourself some grief....don't buy one. Consistently 12 to 15 MPG. At least it has a large tank that helps with range.
YUP! As I said in my first reply to this thread....MPG is awful, awful, awful, but it is a G and should be no surprise to anyone!

Getting 8-10mpg is not unusual, but for me 10-12mpg is really the norm..city or highway! Gas pig, but with ALL my amazing cars I have had in 25 years, The G is in the top 3 of most fun every day!!!
Deutsch100 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
pdeacon (10-22-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 05:33 PM
  #8  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ
Posts: 138
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
16 G63, 17 R8, 18 S560, 18 RRS
The G was my daily for quite some time. I told the wifey the G will be going back soon and now it's her daily until then. All my cars are horrible at 8-14 MPG so it doesn't affect me. The huge fuel capacity helps offsets the mpg.

I have taken the car on a few 500+ mile road trip, latest being to Montreal, no issues! It's not like our range or s560 but it's plenty comfy. Height clearance is always, always an issue to be on the lookout for. I can't park at my local airport due to the height
johndong888 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
places (10-23-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 10:10 AM
  #9  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Holson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 1,021
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2018 G550
I find highway driving to be OK not great for long distances, not quite as comfortable as a GLS for sure but it's fun to drive and keeps you awake since it wanders left and right on the road

Mileage is in the high single digits in the city but the G550 can actually get up to 16-17mpg on the highway at 55-60, benefits of the smaller displacement. I would imagine the new G63 can too

I think parking garage height is the biggest problem for city dwellers. I've seen garages w/ 6' 6" min clearance and I definitely did not even try. Otherwise it's great to drive in the city because visibility is great, the truck is narrow and not too long so it fits in compact spaces.

I think it's great in the city if the fuel bills and garage height are not an issue
Holson is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by Holson:
Deutsch100 (10-24-2018), places (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 10:32 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 271
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
2015 SL550, 2018 G63
Update: I went ahead and picked up the 2018 G63 yesterday (pics to follow). I am thrilled with the decision, although a slight bit out of my comfort level price wise, I find it worth every penny. I couldn't say no! The build quality IMO is superior to any other SUV out there. Feels like it's carved out of a solid block of steel. I test drove it on the highway and found it perfectly fine, you do get feedback and there is some play in the wheel I but I knew that going in.These are hardly deterrents IMO. The seats are very comfortable and adjusted properly should have no problem on distance trips. I can always change the position during mid-trips as I've done with other vehicles for relief. We are going to take a drive to our beach house next week so I'll report back on the ride quality/experience.

As for the mileage, it's 2.5 ton truck. What to expect? I did manage to get 16 MPG yesterday on some short open driving, I'll take it albeit short lived.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I'll post pics as soon as I take them.
places is online now  
The following 2 users liked this post by places:
Deutsch100 (10-24-2018), Holson (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 10:40 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
dunderhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 416
Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts
19 G550, 19 X3
Congrats!
dunderhi is offline  
Old 10-24-2018, 01:34 PM
  #12  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 655
Received 178 Likes on 141 Posts
G550, C300, E400 Cab 25 Ann, C230K
Originally Posted by places View Post
Update: I went ahead and picked up the 2018 G63 yesterday (pics to follow). I am thrilled with the decision, although a slight bit out of my comfort level price wise, I find it worth every penny. I couldn't say no! The build quality IMO is superior to any other SUV out there. Feels like it's carved out of a solid block of steel. I test drove it on the highway and found it perfectly fine, you do get feedback and there is some play in the wheel I but I knew that going in.These are hardly deterrents IMO. The seats are very comfortable and adjusted properly should have no problem on distance trips. I can always change the position during mid-trips as I've done with other vehicles for relief. We are going to take a drive to our beach house next week so I'll report back on the ride quality/experience.

As for the mileage, it's 2.5 ton truck. What to expect? I did manage to get 16 MPG yesterday on some short open driving, I'll take it albeit short lived.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I'll post pics as soon as I take them.

Congratulations. May you have many miles of happy motoring.
pdeacon is offline  
The following users liked this post:
places (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 03:25 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 254
Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts
2018 G63 AMG x2, 2017 BMW M6
CONGRATS!!! Enjoy it. I have had 4 Range Rovers (3 Supercharged, 1 HSE), 5 Rolls-Royce (3 Phantoms, 2 Ghosts), 4 Bentleys, Porsche, Audi, tons of BMW, TONS of MBZ....and the G is in my top for FAV all around vehicle. So easy to park, drive, FUN, super high seating position, supremely cool and so unique.

I know the new, 2019 G will be amazing, but it will not have that insanely over-built, carved out of a single piece of granite the 18 and older Gs have. MBZ cannot make such tanks anymore!

Yes, to the 6'6 parking garages (or lower) ONE time and ONE time only in Beverly Hills. C R U N C H going in and C R U N C H going out :-O Not a fun day in our G!!!
Deutsch100 is offline  
Old 10-26-2018, 07:56 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 271
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
2015 SL550, 2018 G63
Pics attached. I am loving this beast more and more every day.


places is online now  
The following 4 users liked this post by places:
Deutsch100 (10-26-2018), Dieseldan9 (10-26-2018), Holson (10-26-2018), pdeacon (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 08:41 AM
  #15  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Holson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 1,021
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2018 G550
Nice!! Palladium Silver right? Looks so shiny

Enjoy and hope you get a bit of beach driving time too!
Holson is offline  
The following users liked this post:
places (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 09:16 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
dunderhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 416
Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts
19 G550, 19 X3
Looking good.

Just in time for Halloween, it looks like your G might be haunted.
dunderhi is offline  
The following users liked this post:
places (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 11:34 AM
  #17  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 655
Received 178 Likes on 141 Posts
G550, C300, E400 Cab 25 Ann, C230K
She's a dandy....Happy Motoring!!!
pdeacon is offline  
The following users liked this post:
places (10-26-2018)
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G63 Daily Driver


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: