G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

AM/FM Broadcast Antenna on G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 01:34 AM

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts
2023 G550
AM/FM Broadcast Antenna on G

Anyone know where the AM/FM antenna is located on the new 2019 G's? I believe the 2018 and earlier G's had a small billet type form factor antenna housed atop the very rear of the roof. But, unless I missed it, on the 2019 G's, I do not see any such antenna.

Last edited by JetRanger; 11-20-2018 at 01:44 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:55 PM

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
E63s AMG
Originally Posted by JetRanger
Anyone know where the AM/FM antenna is located on the new 2019 G's? I believe the 2018 and earlier G's had a small billet type form factor antenna housed atop the very rear of the roof. But, unless I missed it, on the 2019 G's, I do not see any such antenna.
There is a small antenna on the back of the roof. I imagine it is only the XM and GPS, though. It might also have the 4G LTE antenna. The broadcast antenna is normally adhered to the rear glass, above the defroster elements. I haven't looked at mine, though...
The following users liked this post:
JetRanger (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 08:12 PM

2023 G550
Originally Posted by SierraFoxtrot
There is a small antenna on the back of the roof. I imagine it is only the XM and GPS, though. It might also have the 4G LTE antenna. The broadcast antenna is normally adhered to the rear glass, above the defroster elements. I haven't looked at mine, though...
Thanks for this information, SF! I am going to install an HF antenna on my G63, and I want to keep it away from the AM/FM antenna, so this info helps.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:05 AM

E63s AMG

Thanks for this information, SF! I am going to install an HF antenna on my G63, and I want to keep it away from the AM/FM antenna, so this info helps.
I am also thinking of installing a dual-band antenna. I was thinking a Diamond on the front left, between the fender and hood. I have not even looked if there are bolts on the edge under the hood, to mount a bracket. What mobile rig do you use? What antenna are you planning to install?
Old 11-21-2018, 01:05 AM

2023 G550
Codan Envoy HF radio with their 3040 and/or 9350 antenna, and Motorola APX-7500 mobile with qtr wave whip using NMO mount. We also use some Icom AH-760 (Stealth Telecom 9360) and AH-740 antennas, with their IC-F8101 radio.

Last edited by JetRanger; 11-21-2018 at 01:21 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:09 AM

E63s AMG
I am also thinking of installing a dual-band antenna. I was thinking a Diamond on the front left, between the fender and hood. I have not even looked if there are bolts on the edge under the hood, to mount a bracket. What mobile rig do you use? What antenna are you planning to install?
BTW, I looked at mine and the off-air antennas are in the rear side glass, on both sides.
Also, there are really accessible star bolts down the edge, under the hood. I did not measure the gap, but it would seem like a good place for an HF mount. My only concern would be rubbing the paint. Another idea is to mount to the bull bar. The G63 will be lower, but should still work and would allow a longer antenna.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:43 AM

E63s AMG
Codan Envoy HF radio with their 3040 and/or 9350 antenna, and Motorola APX-7500 mobile with qtr wave whip using NMO mount. We also use some Icom AH-760 (Stealth Telecom 9360) and AH-740 antennas, with their IC-F8101 radio.
That sounds like a lot of fun! I have never played with HF, but it is intriguing. Do you do any digital HF? My buddy tells me I need to get my General, but I never have. To many hobbies and not enough time...
Old 11-21-2018, 01:53 AM

2023 G550
May mount the Codan 9350 HF antenna low on the 63 BB (possibly remove the BB and use the right side mounting point for a fabricated/welded dedicated mount for the antenna's base, bolted on where the BB was mounted to the frame). My concern is the radar in the Mercedes big front grill star, and whether it might get annoyed at the antenna, possibly fooling it into thinking there is an object there (which there would be!). Also, the functionality of the DISTRONIC auto adjusting cruise control might get screwed up by the antenna blocking/confusing it, plus the auto emergency stop functions, etc. I hate stuff like this because the only way to find out is to actually mount the 9350 and do some road testing. Sure wish there was a Mercedes phone number to call to consult a techie re: such applications. First choice is the 9350 mounted low on the bull bar, but if this does not work, backup plan is the Codan 3040 mounted on the right or left fender. I'm researching now re: the GProfessional OEM antenna fender mount bracket as a mounting base for the 3040. I know this bracket definitely exists for military and commercial applications, but I just don't know where to find a good Mercedes accessory catalog for the GProfessional to retrieve a Mercedes OEM part number so I could order the darn thing. Arrggghhhh....
Old 11-21-2018, 01:55 AM

2023 G550
That sounds like a lot of fun! I have never played with HF, but it is intriguing. Do you do any digital HF? My buddy tells me I need to get my General, but I never have. To many hobbies and not enough time...
We use mostly analog SSB voice, and some data.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:11 AM

E63s AMG
May mount the Codan 9350 HF antenna low on the 63 BB (possibly remove the BB and use the right side mounting point for a fabricated/welded dedicated mount for the antenna's base, bolted on where the BB was mounted to the frame). My concern is the radar in the Mercedes big front grill star, and whether it might get annoyed at the antenna, possibly fooling it into thinking there is an object there (which there would be!). Also, the functionality of the DISTRONIC auto adjusting cruise control might get screwed up by the antenna blocking/confusing it, plus the auto emergency stop functions, etc. I hate stuff like this because the only way to find out is to actually mount the 9350 and do some road testing. Sure wish there was a Mercedes phone number to call to consult a techie re: such applications. First choice is the 9350 mounted low on the bull bar, but if this does not work, backup plan is the Codan 3040 mounted on the right or left fender. I'm researching now re: the GProfessional OEM antenna fender mount bracket as a mounting base for the 3040. I know this bracket definitely exists for military and commercial applications, but I just don't know where to find a good Mercedes accessory catalog for the GProfessional to retrieve a Mercedes OEM part number so I could order the darn thing. Arrggghhhh....
I too, would be concerned about Distronic interference. If it is over to one side and does not petrude, it "shouldn't" be an issue. You also have to avoid the ultrasonic parking sensors. I don't know if they are tied into Distronic, but they may augment the radar for close-in objects. The best mounting location is always going to be on the roof, but that is seldom practical, especially on a G!