Notices
G-Class (W460, W461, W463) 1980-Present: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G 250, G 300, G 300 DT, G 320, G 500, G55 AMG

2019 G550 cracked windshield

 
Old 12-13-2018, 06:20 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 101
Likes: 0
Liked 53 Times in 36 Posts
G550
2019 G550 cracked windshield

I had a vertical crack form in the middle of the windshield today. I remember someone else recently had a cracked windshield on their 19'G550. I did not hear any "event" that would have caused it and there does not seem to be a chip. I hope this is not an inherent issue with these trucks. I know the upright windshield makes it more susceptible to flying debris, but I never had an issue on my old G550...

I take it in next week for replacement, assuming they can get the glass...
SierraFoxtrot is offline  
Old 12-13-2018, 08:58 PM
  #2  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 59
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
mercedes g63
Originally Posted by SierraFoxtrot View Post
I had a vertical crack form in the middle of the windshield today. I remember someone else recently had a cracked windshield on their 19'G550. I did not hear any "event" that would have caused it and there does not seem to be a chip. I hope this is not an inherent issue with these trucks. I know the upright windshield makes it more susceptible to flying debris, but I never had an issue on my old G550...

I take it in next week for replacement, assuming they can get the glass...
Sorry to hear that...In SoCal, construction and big trucks mean I have fixed or replaced 2-3 windshields per year....3 repaired on my raptor in last 12 months ...all occurred on the highway...not off-road ...Keep records of cost...and use a shop you can trust to install...hopefully mercedes has provided a manual for shops to do it right...it may be a design issue that mercedes will remedy/reimburse at a later date....maybe other markets that have had the new model in use/service can provide insight to frequency of occurrence....Cheers
CDHG63 is offline  
Old 12-13-2018, 09:09 PM
  #3  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 101
Likes: 0
Liked 53 Times in 36 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by CDHG63 View Post


Sorry to hear that...In SoCal, construction and big trucks mean I have fixed or replaced 2-3 windshields per year....3 repaired on my raptor in last 12 months ...all occurred on the highway...not off-road ...Keep records of cost...and use a shop you can trust to install...hopefully mercedes has provided a manual for shops to do it right...it may be a design issue that mercedes will remedy/reimburse at a later date....maybe other markets that have had the new model in use/service can provide insight to frequency of occurrence....Cheers
Thank you and hopefully MB will cover this one, but we will see. I did add glass deductable buy down. It will lower my glass deductable to $100, since we have so much construction, too.
SierraFoxtrot is offline  
Old 12-15-2018, 03:00 PM
  #4  
Junior Member
 
ArsenMB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 69
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
G-Class
Had my G for 4 years and had several rocks come through on the highway, never cracked. On the other hand, my CLS and S class both cracked from a small rock on the highway.

Last edited by ArsenMB; 12-15-2018 at 03:26 PM.
ArsenMB is offline  
Old 12-15-2018, 03:03 PM
  #5  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 101
Likes: 0
Liked 53 Times in 36 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by ArsenMB View Post
Had my G for 4 years and had several rocks come through on the highway, never cracked. On the other hand, my CLS and S class both cracked from a small rock on the a highway.
That is amazing! Maybe it was stronger since it had the defrost wires. The new one does not...
SierraFoxtrot is offline  
The following users liked this post: SierraFoxtrot
Deutsch100 (12-15-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 05:55 PM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 101
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
2017 AMG C63S Cabriolet
I also have same crack

Originally Posted by SierraFoxtrot View Post
I had a vertical crack form in the middle of the windshield today. I remember someone else recently had a cracked windshield on their 19'G550. I did not hear any "event" that would have caused it and there does not seem to be a chip. I hope this is not an inherent issue with these trucks. I know the upright windshield makes it more susceptible to flying debris, but I never had an issue on my old G550...

I take it in next week for replacement, assuming they can get the glass...
I also have a 2019 G 550 with a cracked windshield. No idea how it happened. It started with a small 1/2 inch crack and in a couple hours was from the top to the bottom. No one has glass for this car yet. I ordered it through the dealer and there was none in the USA. Said will take 10 days to 2 weeks for it to get here from Germany.
G8rh8rtampa is offline  
Old 12-15-2018, 06:35 PM
  #7  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 101
Likes: 0
Liked 53 Times in 36 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by G8rh8rtampa View Post

I also have a 2019 G 550 with a cracked windshield. No idea how it happened. It started with a small 1/2 inch crack and in a couple hours was from the top to the bottom. No one has glass for this car yet. I ordered it through the dealer and there was none in the USA. Said will take 10 days to 2 weeks for it to get here from Germany.
That is the same with mine. It started in the lower middle or at the very bottom and it has progressed all the way from top to bottom, too. I was given the same ETA and a $3200 quote!
SierraFoxtrot is offline  
Old 12-16-2018, 09:05 PM
  #8  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 84
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Mercedes C32
Not a good start, if it is within the glass ( no edges), it should be replaced by dealer under warranty, had the same issue w Maserati
medtner is offline  
Old 12-16-2018, 11:18 PM
  #9  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 101
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
2017 AMG C63S Cabriolet
Originally Posted by medtner View Post
Not a good start, if it is within the glass ( no edges), it should be replaced by dealer under warranty, had the same issue w Maserati
mine started in the middle and has now spread all the way to the top and the bottom. I have 527 miles on mine.
G8rh8rtampa is offline  
Old 12-17-2018, 10:56 PM
  #10  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 101
Likes: 0
Liked 53 Times in 36 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by G8rh8rtampa View Post

mine started in the middle and has now spread all the way to the top and the bottom. I have 527 miles on mine.
Can you post a pic? I will do the same...
I have 1200miles on mine.
SierraFoxtrot is offline  
Old 12-17-2018, 11:11 PM
  #11  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 101
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
2017 AMG C63S Cabriolet
Pictures

Originally Posted by SierraFoxtrot View Post
Can you post a pic? I will do the same...
I have 1200miles on mine.
Pictures of crack in windshield
G8rh8rtampa is offline  
Old 12-18-2018, 02:15 AM
  #12  
Member
 
Festertester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SF Cali Bay Area
Posts: 227
Liked 55 Times in 42 Posts
‘17 Range Rover ATB, ‘18 Ford Focus RS, '13 Porsche 911-4S, ‘19 G63 (on order)
Don’t see the pic..pls repost if possible..thx
Festertester is offline  
Old 12-18-2018, 04:36 PM
  #13  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 101
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
2017 AMG C63S Cabriolet
windshield cracks

Originally Posted by Festertester View Post
Donít see the pic..pls repost if possible..thx


crack in windshield

crack 2
G8rh8rtampa is offline  
The following users liked this post: G8rh8rtampa
Festertester (12-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 05:28 PM
  #14  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 94
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
GLC 63 AMG, Audi R8 V10+
Saw a 2019 550 on the lot this AM at my local dealer, the car came off the trailer from port with a crack near the rearview mirror.
JesseRohr is offline  
Old 12-18-2018, 06:53 PM
  #15  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 101
Likes: 0
Liked 53 Times in 36 Posts
G550

It is difficult to see, but mine cracked from the bottom to top. Started about 6inches and went all the way up, over the next day.
SierraFoxtrot is offline  
Old 12-18-2018, 07:23 PM
  #16  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 602
Liked 159 Times in 124 Posts
G550, C300, E400 Cab 25 Ann, C230K
Houston..........we have a problem!!!
pdeacon is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by pdeacon:
Deutsch100 (12-22-2018), Festertester (12-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 07:39 PM
  #17  
haa
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 94
Liked 38 Times in 28 Posts
Is there an impact crater on either of the cracked windshields? That should be fairly easy to find.
haa is offline  
Old 12-18-2018, 07:46 PM
  #18  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 101
Likes: 0
Liked 53 Times in 36 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by haa View Post
Is there an impact crater on either of the cracked windshields? That should be fairly easy to find.
In my case, there is a point where the crack changes direction slightly. This point does not look like an impact crater, though. If it is, it is very very small and the impact was very minor. I have a feeling the windshield was installed under stress, whether by a design flaw or an install issue.
SierraFoxtrot is offline  
Old 12-18-2018, 08:44 PM
  #19  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 101
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
2017 AMG C63S Cabriolet
No impact crater

Originally Posted by haa View Post
Is there an impact crater on either of the cracked windshields? That should be fairly easy to find.
I do not feel any impact crater in the glass on mine. It started in the middle of the windshield and grew the next day to the very top and bottom
G8rh8rtampa is offline  
Old 12-19-2018, 09:46 AM
  #20  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 212
Liked 97 Times in 67 Posts
2018 G63 AMG x2, 2017 BMW M6
This is the first G that does not have the exterior, thick rubber moulding around the windscreen. I wonder if this has something to do with how the 2019 G front windscreen glass is more heavily glued on its own. The tension must be too high, whereas the 2018 and older relied on, or was helped with the exterior moulding.

This might be as pdeacon says....A Houston we have a problem :-O
Deutsch100 is offline  
The following users liked this post: Deutsch100
Sarlox (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 10:00 AM
  #21  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 101
Likes: 0
Liked 53 Times in 36 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by Deutsch100 View Post
This is the first G that does not have the exterior, thick rubber moulding around the windscreen. I wonder if this has something to do with how the 2019 G front windscreen glass is more heavily glued on its own. The tension must be too high, whereas the 2018 and older relied on, or was helped with the exterior moulding.

This might be as pdeacon says....A Houston we have a problem :-O
Good point, Deutsch100...
SierraFoxtrot is offline  
The following users liked this post: SierraFoxtrot
Deutsch100 (12-22-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 10:24 PM
  #22  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 88
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
1999 E320, 2008 S550, 2016 G63 AMG
Due to the upright windshield, are the G wagon more prone to cracked windshield from flying rocks ?

Also, on the 2016 G63, I noticed on the very bottom right corner(passenger side) of the windshield having a sensor attached... what is that sensor for ?

Not meaning to hijack the original posting, but since it is a relating subject... Thanks
mrtonyn is offline  
Old 12-23-2018, 11:04 PM
  #23  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 212
Liked 97 Times in 67 Posts
2018 G63 AMG x2, 2017 BMW M6
Originally Posted by mrtonyn View Post
Due to the upright windshield, are the G wagon more prone to cracked windshield from flying rocks ?

Also, on the 2016 G63, I noticed on the very bottom right corner(passenger side) of the windshield having a sensor attached... what is that sensor for ?

Not meaning to hijack the original posting, but since it is a relating subject... Thanks
The sensor you see on your '16 G63 connects the heated/defrosted windshield. Don't snip the wire
Deutsch100 is offline  
Old 12-23-2018, 11:23 PM
  #24  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 88
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
1999 E320, 2008 S550, 2016 G63 AMG
Got it. Will stay clear of that area with scissors.
Where are the rain sensors hidden then? Is it standard on G63?
Just got it home, was dark and not had much time exploring....

Last edited by mrtonyn; 12-24-2018 at 08:34 AM.
mrtonyn is offline  
Old 12-24-2018, 09:33 AM
  #25  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 212
Liked 97 Times in 67 Posts
2018 G63 AMG x2, 2017 BMW M6
Originally Posted by mrtonyn View Post
Got it. Will stay clear of that area with scissors.
Where are the rain sensors hidden then? Is it standard on G63?
Just got it home, was dark and not had much time exploring....
Rain sensors sit behind the rearview mirror, facing out thru the front windscreen glass.
Deutsch100 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: 2019 G550 cracked windshield


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: