Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz SUVs, Trucks, Vans, Diesels, Other > G-Class (W460, W461, W463)
Richie-Richies Switching from G63 to Jeep Wranglers?! >

Richie-Richies Switching from G63 to Jeep Wranglers?!

Notices
G-Class (W460, W461, W463) 1980-Present: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G 250, G 300, G 300 DT, G 320, G 500, G55 AMG

Old 04-08-2019, 02:51 PM

Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
2019 G63-when it’s here

https://www.hotcars.com/15-influential-people-who-drive-jeeps/
Old 04-10-2019, 07:26 AM

Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
GLC 63 AMG, Audi R8 V10+
The new Jeep JL (latest iteration of Wrangler) is an excellent vehicle. What's the surprise?
Old 04-10-2019, 07:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Audi R8
I have a G Wagon on order... but also bought one of the newly redesigned 2018 Wrangler Rubicons, which i had lifted 2".. the new Rubicons come with leather, heated seats, navigation, blind spot detectors, etc, and i can take the top off. The jeep is a great "fun car" and i actually end up driving it more than my daily driver 2017 Audi R8. i am excited about my G Wagon, which i have about 30 more days to finalize my order. Will be interesting to see which car gets the most used upon the G's arrival.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:00 PM

2019 G63-when it’s here
The coolest aspect about a new 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon is you can feel truly great about actually taking it out into the boondocks, climbing over ginormous boulders, scratching and denting it all up, maybe even rolling it over and totaling it, and all along, keeping a mile wide smile plastered across your happy camper face. Wranglers are cheap enough toys to be used and abused, wrecked-up, rode hard, and put away wet and damaged. Wranglers are affordable toys you can truly enjoy whilst doing real rock climbing.

OTOH, no one in their right mind is ever going to actually take their brand new, near $200,000 G63 anywhere even remotely close to an unpaved road, other than when they sit at their desk daydreaming and fantasizing about being able to afford smashing-up their new, fully loaded G63 out in the boondocks. They love thinking about the fact that a G63 has huge off-road capabilities, and some may even go to the extent of putting big fat tires on em, to further their off-road fantasy. But, in a moment of brutal honesty with themselves, they know they surely ainít never gunna actually follow through, and actually do this. This phenomenon is an example of what economists refer to as ďreservation demand,Ē or an economic demand associated with placing a positive value on some good, service, or activity, that one knows they never actually will do, nor consume.
The following users liked this post: JetRanger
Deutsch100 (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 09:38 PM

Liked 114 Times in 77 Posts
19 G550, 19 X3
Originally Posted by JetRanger View Post
The coolest aspect about a new 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon is you can feel truly great about actually taking it out into the boondocks, climbing over ginormous boulders, scratching and denting it all up, maybe even rolling it over and totaling it, and all along, keeping a mile wide smile plastered across your happy camper face. Wranglers are cheap enough toys to be used and abused, wrecked-up, rode hard, and put away wet and damaged. Wranglers are affordable toys you can truly enjoy whilst doing real rock climbing.

OTOH, no one in their right mind is ever going to actually take their brand new, near $200,000 G63 anywhere even remotely close to an unpaved road, other than when they sit at their desk daydreaming and fantasizing about being able to afford smashing-up their new, fully loaded G63 out in the boondocks. They love thinking about the fact that a G63 has huge off-road capabilities, and some may even go to the extent of putting big fat tires on em, to further their off-road fantasy. But, in a moment of brutal honesty with themselves, they know they surely ainít never gunna actually follow through, and actually do this. This phenomenon is an example of what economists refer to as ďreservation demand,Ē or an economic demand associated with placing a positive value on some good, service, or activity, that one knows they never actually will do, nor consume.
Luckily, my G was only $135k, so it can still get abused without remorse. Iíve already lost count on the number of scratches, but since Iíve only had it washed once, you canít really see all of them.
The following 2 users liked this post by dunderhi:
abhatti55 (04-11-2019), pdeacon (04-11-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 10:37 PM

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
G550
Good for you dunderhi! I stopped stressing out about scratching cars, watches and all other stuff as I figured if I'm not going to use it, why am I buying it!
Old 04-10-2019, 10:45 PM

2019 G63-when it’s here
Light scratches from small tree branches and swirl marks from car washes where such scuff marks are literally not visible when the car is dirty are one thing. Such light scratches and swirl marks can easily and routinely be removed by a good detail shop via a nice clay bar job. Ií m talking about serious, ďrealĒ off-roading damage, as is experienced by hard core Jeepers. These guysí Jeeps routinely suffer big huge dents, large and very deep scratches that literally tear off the body paint, right down to the Jeepís shiny base metal. These boys routinely accept the risk of rolling their Jeeps over onto their sides when negotiating huge boulders, severely deep ruts, and all sorts of big obstacles, sometimes even rolling them onto their roof tops, and occasionally totaling them. IMHO, a $135k car seems like a bit much for truly serious off-roading, but to each, his own. Itís all good!
Old 04-11-2019, 12:21 AM

Liked 114 Times in 77 Posts
19 G550, 19 X3
Originally Posted by JetRanger View Post
Light scratches from small tree branches and swirl marks from car washes where such scuff marks are literally not visible when the car is dirty are one thing. Such light scratches and swirl marks can easily and routinely be removed by a good detail shop via a nice clay bar job. Ií m talking about serious, ďrealĒ off-roading damage, as is experienced by hard core Jeepers. These guysí Jeeps routinely suffer big huge dents, large and very deep scratches that literally tear off the body paint, right down to the Jeepís shiny base metal. These boys routinely accept the risk of rolling their Jeeps over onto their sides when negotiating huge boulders, severely deep ruts, and all sorts of big obstacles, sometimes even rolling them onto their roof tops, and occasionally totaling them. IMHO, a $135k car seems like a bit much for truly serious off-roading, but to each, his own. Itís all good!
No problem. I donít plan on rolling over my G every weekend, but I donít think anyone who buys a Ď19 Wrangler plans to do so either. That said, I wonít rule out rolling over my G at some point. After all, we all make mistakes by overestimating our off-road driving ability. So far, itís only been some light off-roading, but when I retire in the next year or two, I plan to do more extensive traveling and take my G on the road, trail, and/or cranny less traveled. This is why I bought a G and not a GT. Itís also why the G550 made more sense to me given itís more straightforward off-roading capability. As a bonus, with the money I ďsaved,Ē I convinced Mrs. Dunderhi that it would be reasonable to also have a motorcycle parked in my garage. Iím still shopping for the right bike (Ducatiís are looking good). Anyone here carry a bike with their hitch?