G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

‘19 G63 engine issues...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 10:37 PM

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts
P cars
Originally Posted by poison123
The Finger Follower was a issue on the 991.1 GT3s, if it happens on the 991.2's its not the same thing.
it’s not happening on the 991.2s because they don’t fail. Porsche completely revised the part for the .2
Old 12-14-2020, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
997.2 GT4S
Oil level issue

Did you get resolution to #2? Have mine for 18 months now, and took a long Covid escape drive to Florida from NY. When I left NY checked oil and was normal in middle of gauge. Checked again mid trip and was still OK. When I got further along level was at upper max limit and then ultimately got to a point where it said reduce oil! Never in my life have I heard of oil increasing. Expand due to heat, OK but oil level is only read at operating temp so how? Further A service done in May and haven’t needed to add any oil so how can it be?

Originally Posted by CRamge63s
did anyone had similar issues with the new G63’s?
I have a new 2019 AMG G63 with few issues.
1) The fuel tank is indicating it’s an empty, when the tank is full?
2) The oil level indicator shows at the full capacity and it’s indicating to empty out the oil.
3) yellow engine sign is on, however it does not blink, I know that’s a good sign when it’s not blinking.
i am in chicago. Mercedes technicians like to replace parts to find out what works before they even know what the problem is.
Old 12-14-2020, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,054 Likes on 805 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by nycc4s
Did you get resolution to #2? Have mine for 18 months now, and took a long Covid escape drive to Florida from NY. When I left NY checked oil and was normal in middle of gauge. Checked again mid trip and was still OK. When I got further along level was at upper max limit and then ultimately got to a point where it said reduce oil! Never in my life have I heard of oil increasing. Expand due to heat, OK but oil level is only read at operating temp so how? Further A service done in May and haven’t needed to add any oil so how can it be?
I dislike the absence of a dipstick on the m176 series engines, but MBUSA hired all them to work in customer service. Regarding the electronic oil sensor/indicator system, it's less than reliable. It's not a simple mechanical sensor like used for fuel, as a mechanical sensor would sludge-up and stop working. Others have probably noticed or read in the owner's manual that you can't simply start the vehicle and obtain an immediate oil level indication. The engine has to come up to operating temperature and pressure. Last winter, I was waiting for someone and sat in my G550 for about an hour with the engine idling. I did not receive any panel warning, but when I checked the oil level, it indicated I was at maximum level, probably because the engine was at normal operating temperature, but circulation was not occurring at normal operating RPMs. I change my oil every 5K (yeah, I know it can go 10K), and the last 2 changes have netted 9 quarts in the 2 jugs. I'm guessing he other quart was left in the drain pan, filter and engine, or was burned off. I pour in 10 quarts, and after driving a couple miles, the oil indication is at mid-scale.
Old 12-14-2020, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,495 Likes on 987 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by streborx
I dislike the absence of a dipstick on the m176 series engines, but MBUSA hired all them to work in customer service.
Love it!