G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

RE: Canadian Allocation Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2019 | 04:17 PM

C43
RE: Canadian Allocation Problem

Turns out to be worst buying experience I've ever had. I first made my deposit for the G63 in Feb of 2018, was told by June 2019 I would have an allocation/ the vehicle. 2019 rolls around, and I contact my SA, and he tells me to patiently wait. In May 2019, my SA tells me to come in to do a credit application to see if im eligible for an allocation as the only way to get an allocation is to get approved at zero down, tells me I will know my result in 2 weeks. I inquire from him every few weeks and he constantly gives me a bull**** excuse, saying that " he was away or the sales manager was away". Sep 2019 rolls around and I contact him telling him that I'd like to pull my deposit as I dont want to waste my time. He tells me to keep it in and he'll try to push for my allocation. He comes back to me this week saying that my credit application was denied by MB Financial and he'll be refunding my deposit. I am so lost and confused.... I really wanted this vehicle and waited almost 2 years just to hear back that im not eligible ( which is SO confusing for me, as I can afford this car pretty easily, even if I had to finance it). I have kinda lost faith in the brand with this whole situation.

I am really frustrated and expressed by frustration to dealer. Awaiting to hear back from them. What do you guys think I should do?
Old 10-10-2019 | 05:05 PM

2016 E63
speak to other dealers
Old 10-10-2019 | 05:20 PM

2020 G63
This is just BS from the dealer. There’s no way they needed to run your credit to place an order. At *best* they suspect you’re going to export it, and are blaming MBFS.

In the US, MBFS (and any financial institution) is required to formally write to you to explain why you were declined. Is that the case in Canada? Call them on it - contact MBFS and ask why you were declined....
The following users liked this post:
pdeacon (10-11-2019)
Old 10-10-2019 | 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Well.. the "story" in Canada is not good... over the past three years - in part due to exchange rate doe to the low $C ..... reportedly upwards of 70% of the new G-Wagen's and new GLS450's sold retail in Canada over the past two years ended up exported to Asia .. China and Vietnam being the Top 2 Destinations

As a result the # of G's and GLS's has been notched back ... and as the Canadian system is different ... yes, there are some different things in place to try to stem the Asian-Export-Tide..
Old 10-10-2019 | 07:26 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
How many dealers are in the Toronto area? Certainly shop around......loyalty has no bearing on anything thee days.
Old 10-10-2019 | 07:32 PM

GLE63S 2016
Originally Posted by NotZ
Turns out to be worst buying experience I've ever had. I first made my deposit for the G63 in Feb of 2018, was told by June 2019 I would have an allocation/ the vehicle. 2019 rolls around, and I contact my SA, and he tells me to patiently wait. In May 2019, my SA tells me to come in to do a credit application to see if im eligible for an allocation as the only way to get an allocation is to get approved at zero down, tells me I will know my result in 2 weeks. I inquire from him every few weeks and he constantly gives me a bull**** excuse, saying that " he was away or the sales manager was away". Sep 2019 rolls around and I contact him telling him that I'd like to pull my deposit as I dont want to waste my time. He tells me to keep it in and he'll try to push for my allocation. He comes back to me this week saying that my credit application was denied by MB Financial and he'll be refunding my deposit. I am so lost and confused.... I really wanted this vehicle and waited almost 2 years just to hear back that im not eligible ( which is SO confusing for me, as I can afford this car pretty easily, even if I had to finance it). I have kinda lost faith in the brand with this whole situation.

I am really frustrated and expressed by frustration to dealer. Awaiting to hear back from them. What do you guys think I should do?

That sounds very frustrating, but it sounds like shenanigans from the dealer. My experience was very cut & dry. I went to the dealer.....built the vehicle on their configurator.....then when the vehicle showed up, I paid for it. My wait time was only about 9 months. Wrapped it and had ceramic applied, which took an extra week. Really enjoying driving it through all kinds of weather, snow, off-road and racing on the backroads. It is going to be my DD through the winter (8 months in Calgary).

My advice is to find a better dealer. Don't bother with credit with MB - if you need credit, you can get a lot better lease rate from almost any Treasury Branch. Personally, I think that it is better to pay cash for this particular vehicle.....drive it for a couple of years....then sell it while you have a new one on order.

Good luck!
Old 10-12-2019 | 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Originally Posted by alistairg
This is just BS from the dealer. There’s no way they needed to run your credit to place an order. At *best* they suspect you’re going to export it, and are blaming MBFS.

In the US, MBFS (and any financial institution) is required to formally write to you to explain why you were declined. Is that the case in Canada? Call them on it - contact MBFS and ask why you were declined....
This is it - they suspect you’re going to flip or export it. So you’re off the list. Did you do anything to make them suspicious?
Old 10-12-2019 | 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Well.. the "story" in Canada is not good... over the past three years - in part due to exchange rate doe to the low $C ..... reportedly upwards of 70% of the new G-Wagen's and new GLS450's sold retail in Canada over the past two years ended up exported to Asia .. China and Vietnam being the Top 2 Destinations

As a result the # of G's and GLS's has been notched back ... and as the Canadian system is different ... yes, there are some different things in place to try to stem the Asian-Export-Tide..
Canadian pricing is the lowest in the world. The G550 starts at $100K USD and it has more features standard than the US spec. So you can see why MB doesn’t bring that many cars to Canada.
Old 10-13-2019 | 12:43 AM

C43
Originally Posted by Surge
This is it - they suspect you’re going to flip or export it. So you’re off the list. Did you do anything to make them suspicious?

Not at all, I have made all my conversations with my SA through email. I emailed him a few weeks before saying that I was going to take out my deposit as it was not moving and it was wasting my time. My SA then called me saying that he suggest that I keep the deposit in as he would push for my allocation . I agreed and got this answer a week later....

I’ve filed a complaint with Toronto Retail Group and Mercedes Benz Canada as well.
Old 10-13-2019 | 02:31 AM

G63
if I were you, I’d just go buy something else. There’s no need to jump through hoops to spend money. Life’s too short to care that much about a car.

move on.
Old 10-13-2019 | 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not at all, I have made all my conversations with my SA through email. I emailed him a few weeks before saying that I was going to take out my deposit as it was not moving and it was wasting my time. My SA then called me saying that he suggest that I keep the deposit in as he would push for my allocation . I agreed and got this answer a week later....

I’ve filed a complaint with Toronto Retail Group and Mercedes Benz Canada as well.
Unfortunately, if you haven’t purchased or leased a few cars from this dealer already, I highly doubt you’ll ever get a G wagon. As stated already, Canadian supply is very tight due to our very low pricing.
Dealers will always want to take your deposit and keep you strung along, hoping they’ll get a lot more supply or you’ll just buy something else.
Unless they can tell you where you are on the list and how many they get per year (and you trust them), then there’s no point.
Old 10-13-2019 | 11:58 AM

C43
Originally Posted by Surge
Unfortunately, if you haven’t purchased or leased a few cars from this dealer already, I highly doubt you’ll ever get a G wagon. As stated already, Canadian supply is very tight due to our very low pricing.
Dealers will always want to take your deposit and keep you strung along, hoping they’ll get a lot more supply or you’ll just buy something else.
Unless they can tell you where you are on the list and how many they get per year (and you trust them), then there’s no point.

The funny thing is I’ve purchases 4 vehicles from this dealership lol. Guess it’s just a ****ty situation. I’m looking into a Range Rover SVR as a replacement now.
Old 10-13-2019 | 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The funny thing is I’ve purchases 4 vehicles from this dealership lol. Guess it’s just a ****ty situation. I’m looking into a Range Rover SVR as a replacement now.
In that case you should demand to speak with the owner. Tell the owner what happened and that if you don’t get your G as promised, you’ll never buy from his store again. And insist that you deal only with the Sales Manager going forward.
Old 10-16-2019 | 12:06 AM

G63
Dealers don’t care.
Mercedes Benz Canada certainly doesn’t care.
If you only knew how many managers and owners are in on it all and getting envelopes it would blow your mind.
Either you’re highly connected , a long long time customer or drop a side envelope, you’re not getting a new G in Canada.
The export market to Asia is bringing in numbers that you wouldn’t even believe...

Last edited by MtlG; 10-16-2019 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-16-2019 | 12:27 AM

GLE63S 2016
This is true. I had my G63 at a Cars and Coffee meet a few weeks ago - and a guy offered me $60k cash on top of my invoice price to sell it to him. I've actually gotten a few random and unsolicited offers in that range for it, and I've only had it since May. I didn't pay off anyone in the dealership. I just asked for a G63.....and they called me a few months later and offered me the allocation that they got. I didn't even give them a deposit.....just waited about 3 months and the vehicle showed up and I paid for it. They wrapped it and ceramic'ed it for me and I was very happy! I really like my dealership. They really go all out for their clients at every level.

I have no idea how somebody from California knew that I had one in the scheme that I received it in (white on white...and I think that my kids might have put it on Instagram) - and he offered me $100k USD over my invoice for the vehicle and he was prepared to take care of all the necessary paperwork and transport issues. That number kind of surprised me, but I guess that demand can be like that.

But I actually enjoy driving the vehicle. I might sell in 2-3 years to upgrade to the new one in case it gets the MBUX system in it. No deal breaker, really - I just like the cool factor of the MBUX. My daughter's A250 Hatch is an amazing vehicle. Very impressive for the price. In fact, I like it so much that I might pick up an A45 if they ever come to Canada.

But I'm keeping my G63. Already got to drive it through some deep water and some really bad snowdrifts. It was amazingly capable. The vehicle is also so hermetically sealed, that I can drive it fast in high winds......and there is no wind noise at all inside.....despite the fact that it has the aerodynamics of a fridge! And the Berm sound system in it....OMG. Has to be heard to be believed. I have AC/DC and The Brandenburg concertos on the same playlist.....and it really blows your mind.

I'm signing up to the G63 driving experience in Germany to see what the vehicle is really capable of. They said they'd email me about it, so I hope to be able to enjoy that with my wife in the next few months.

I think that all you really need to do is to have a good relationship with a good dealer and you would probably be able to eventually get one. Probably talk to the manager of the dealership to let them know that you are serious. There are 3 dealers in my town, but only one seems to really bend over backwards to help clients. I suspect that you just have to find a dealer like that by asking around in your area or perhaps an adjacent state or province.

Last edited by Subatomic Power; 10-16-2019 at 12:29 AM.
Old 10-16-2019 | 12:33 AM

G63
Originally Posted by Subatomic Power
This is true. I had my G63 at a Cars and Coffee meet a few weeks ago - and a guy offered me $60k cash on top of my invoice price to sell it to him. I've actually gotten a few random and unsolicited offers in that range for it, and I've only had it since May. I didn't pay off anyone in the dealership. I just asked for a G63.....and they called me a few months later and offered me the allocation that they got. I didn't even give them a deposit.....just waited about 3 months and the vehicle showed up and I paid for it. They wrapped it and ceramic'ed it for me and I was very happy! I really like my dealership. They really go all out for their clients at every level.

I have no idea how somebody from California knew that I had one in the scheme that I received it in (white on white...and I think that my kids might have put it on Instagram) - and he offered me $100k USD over my invoice for the vehicle and he was prepared to take care of all the necessary paperwork and transport issues. That number kind of surprised me, but I guess that demand can be like that.

But I actually enjoy driving the vehicle. I might sell in 2-3 years to upgrade to the new one in case it gets the MBUX system in it. No deal breaker, really - I just like the cool factor of the MBUX. My daughter's A250 Hatch is an amazing vehicle. Very impressive for the price. In fact, I like it so much that I might pick up an A45 if they ever come to Canada.

But I'm keeping my G63. Already got to drive it through some deep water and some really bad snowdrifts. It was amazingly capable. The vehicle is also so hermetically sealed, that I can drive it fast in high winds......and there is no wind noise at all inside.....despite the fact that it has the aerodynamics of a fridge! And the Berm sound system in it....OMG. Has to be heard to be believed. I have AC/DC and The Brandenburg concertos on the same playlist.....and it really blows your mind.

I'm signing up to the G63 driving experience in Germany to see what the vehicle is really capable of. They said they'd email me about it, so I hope to be able to enjoy that with my wife in the next few months.

I think that all you really need to do is to have a good relationship with a good dealer and you would probably be able to eventually get one. Probably talk to the manager of the dealership to let them know that you are serious. There are 3 dealers in my town, but only one seems to really bend over backwards to help clients. I suspect that you just have to find a dealer like that by asking around in your area or perhaps an adjacent state or province.
You’re definitely one of the lucky few..
Out here on the East Coast it’s practically impossible.
These trucks are fetching 100k over easy.
Why? Because they’re going to China.
Vancouver also has issues given the large Asian community.
Unfortunately dealers (the honest ones) stand to lose a lot if a car they sell is exported so they’re vetting every single customer.