G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Has anyone taken delivery lately?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
Originally Posted by n3rd

And its done. More photos when I pick it up tomorrow.
Wow! Looks exactly like my factory magno night black + trail package G
Mine is also in the shop getting PPF'ed - found someone in the LA area to do XPEL stealth for $5800 including the tire carrier in normal XPEL (along with mirrors, other normal areas of the car etc). Have had some problems with the installer in the past (uneven film edges, lifting and they have already been blasted for a botched wrap on a famous youtuber's previous generation G a couple years ago), but they mostly do dealership work for O'Gara and Ferrari so hoping they've gotten better with time...picking up the car tomorrow. My installer also used the pre-cut film where it just goes around the "V8 Biturbo" emblems, so hopefully it doesn't lift. Not sure what they did with the badges on the back...
The following users liked this post:
Bexlee (06-02-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 538 Likes on 337 Posts
2024 AMG G63
It’s in philly getting ppf’d. They’re starting to lock down areas in PA. I hope it gets finished before they quarantine the area and my car is trapped. My work is also putting everyone on backup call even when we’re post call and asking us not to leave tricounty area in the event that SHTF.

Here is one from the PPF shop.

What areas of the G are you XPEL PPFing?

Is he taking anything apart to wrap the edges or using the 3d printer templates that go to the edges?

What is the approximate cost?

Thanks.

Last edited by JSwan724; 04-18-2020 at 08:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JSwan724:
Bexlee (06-02-2020), Telly Bettis (04-19-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 07:24 PM

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts
P cars
Originally Posted by JSwan724
What areas of the G are you XPEL PPFing?

Is he taking anything apart to wrap the edges or using the 3d printer templates that go to the edges?

What is the approximate cost?

Thanks.
The car was wrapped by Keyvon at ACAP Films Main Line outside of Philadelphia. They came highly recommended from the dealer and my detailer. In the past I used a closer installer but decided to use a "higher end" installer based on the fact that he's wrapped a few new FGT's and Chiron's. The complete wrap was 9k in xpel stealth. The wrap is AWFUL. The truck has been back for once repair and it is still not fixed. The doors are rattling because he didn't reassemble the door panels correctly. This work is absolute garbage. There are uneven edges, areas not pushed down, and areas that look like they ripped the film instead of cutting it. There are also wrinkles at the edges. I emailed Xpel and they basically responded with "Its an installer issue" and good luck to you. This is fifth and last car I will wrap with Xpel. I may switch back to 3m or Suntec. When I asked why it looks like ****, the answer was that "Xpel stealth is hard to work with and that the G63 is the hardest car to wrap in the industry". If this isn't fixed I'm going to be the squeaky wheel on their instagram, facebook, yelp and google pages warning others.
Bexlee (06-02-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 462 Likes on 377 Posts
'25 EQG deposit, '21 718 Spyder & '20 HD Fatboy
I have Suntek on my Porsche and plan to use the same on my G when it arrives. My installer is top notch and he uses the patterns, which wrapped edges on my car so don't be deterred from an installer that uses those as opposed to custom cut pieces. There are several excellent installers on Rennlist that also use the templates and they all say the same.
Bexlee (06-02-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 07:36 PM

P cars
Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I have Suntek on my Porsche and plan to use the same on my G when it arrives. My installer is top notch and he uses the patterns, which wrapped edges on my car so don't be deterred from an installer that uses those as opposed to custom cut pieces. There are several excellent installers on Rennlist that also use the templates and they all say the same.
I had Xpel on my Porsches, RR's and other cars with excellent results. It was my mistake to listen to others advice on the new installer. This was a preferred installer (which Xpel even recommends). The issue isn't the film- its an installer issue and Xpel's lack of customer support.
Bexlee (06-02-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had Xpel on my Porsches, RR's and other cars with excellent results. It was my mistake to listen to others advice on the new installer. This was a preferred installer (which Xpel even recommends). The issue isn't the film- its an installer issue and Xpel's lack of customer support.
I know many people with XPel and they have no complaints - I went with Suntek since the clarity on Miami Blue was better for me. As the old saying goes, "shop the installer, not the product".
Old 06-01-2020, 06:12 PM

P cars
Car goes back to the shop later this month and the owner will be fixing the issues. Crossing fingers.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:22 AM

Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
G350d, Rover Mini , Abarth 500, G230, RS4
G350d at Zeebrugge today according to my dealer.

Woohooo!!!!

This car had an original build date 13April. Is anybody else likely to have a G sat alongside mine? I’d like to track it but as usual she didn’t have anymore information for me such as boat etc.

i am super excited however my other half is a bit worried. The business has dropped a quieter and he’s concerned for the future.
I understand his concerns and I’m trying to stay positive, and making a real effort to keep him positive and upbeat too. It’s hard at the moment for everybody.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G63
I had my whole 19 G550 covered in Stealth PPF and sold the vehicle because of it. While it gave it an awesome look and was super easy to clean and felt protected...

there were many bubbles , exposed seams that would want to lift, stretch marks in obvious spots, and with sunglasses on it would look like the truck was torched by a flame gun. In addition, the trim and everything never felt the same or as solid as originally. I paid 8800.

on my new g63 I just picked up I have opted to do the hood , mirrors , and the front clip by a different installer, and have no parts removed & have ceramic coating going on whole vehicle. I’m convinced I’m going to be much happier this time around... Doing the sides of the G’s just seem too difficult for any installer since the pieces are too big and how Mercedes has the trim pieces put together.

The car was wrapped by Keyvon at ACAP Films Main Line outside of Philadelphia. They came highly recommended from the dealer and my detailer. In the past I used a closer installer but decided to use a "higher end" installer based on the fact that he's wrapped a few new FGT's and Chiron's. The complete wrap was 9k in xpel stealth. The wrap is AWFUL. The truck has been back for once repair and it is still not fixed. The doors are rattling because he didn't reassemble the door panels correctly. This work is absolute garbage. There are uneven edges, areas not pushed down, and areas that look like they ripped the film instead of cutting it. There are also wrinkles at the edges. I emailed Xpel and they basically responded with "Its an installer issue" and good luck to you. This is fifth and last car I will wrap with Xpel. I may switch back to 3m or Suntec. When I asked why it looks like ****, the answer was that "Xpel stealth is hard to work with and that the G63 is the hardest car to wrap in the industry". If this isn't fixed I'm going to be the squeaky wheel on their instagram, facebook, yelp and google pages warning others.
Bexlee (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 07:44 AM

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
2009 C230
Bexlee,

This should give you a good idea of timing. My G is on this ship, had a build date of 3rd decade of April.
And you are not alone with those feelings, my wife has the same concerns.

Bexlee (06-04-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 08:44 AM

CClement-

Thank you very much for this information. Our G is coming to the U.K. so hopefully it won’t be long at all :-) Maybe even arrive at port this week :-D

My day to day car is a 1996 Rover Mini so this is a whole new ball game for me!! It’s going to be fun!

Originally Posted by CClement
Bexlee,

This should give you a good idea of timing. My G is on this ship, had a build date of 3rd decade of April.
And you are not alone with those feelings, my wife has the same concerns.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:46 PM

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts
20 G63, 19 720s
Precut usually means the edges aren't overlapping. It's usually a or two mm off. Not fan of this but it is one of the easier ones to install. Maybe your installer is using a different plot setting.

I'm in the Philly/Cherry Hill area, never heard of them. Maybe my standards are too high but I have yet to find a quality shop to do wraps in the area. There's another popular Detail shop in West Chester, people rave about them. I saw their work on a Huracan, complete trash.

I used Exclusive Vinyl in NY for a vinyl wrap (easier than XPEL tho) on my R8. Been watching their work for many years already, best edges I've seen. Full overlap, door card/door sill all done. Only thing is he's pretty backed up. He quoted me 2 weeks, but took 4. Also hated the drive then rental arrangement.
Bexlee (06-18-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 538 Likes on 337 Posts
2024 AMG G63
IN MY EXPERIENCE - I wrapped my 2018 GTR all over and frankly after spending the money don’t think it is worth the extra expense as opposed to a front end and windshield wrap.

I just had my 2020 G63 wrapped and the windshield done and am very pleased with the results;

XPEL PRO
Complete front end to the front door edges except the bull bar to include;
Complete Hood,
Front end around the grill and intake vents
Front Fenders
Front Fender Flairs - Complete from front end to the running board.
Headlight Lenses (a cracked/broken lense is very expensive)
Windshield Frame Complete
Running Boards outer edges
Sill Plates - All four and rear cargo sill trim plate
Mirror housings - flat wrap

EXOSHIELD - Complete Windshield Protectionhttps://www.getexoshield.com/
Complete Windshield

Somebody described the G Wagon perfectly when they said “It’s a beautiful brick” going down the road.
With that in mind, my project goal was to minimize/eliminate front end paint chips, dents and scratches and windshield chips/cracks.

Hopefully, I have accomplished my goal. We’ll see over time.

IN MY EXPERIENCE - For those who are considering these projects, please remember what has been said many, many times, the installer and using high quality products are the key to a good job. In other words you get what you are willing to pay for.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited by JSwan724; 06-20-2020 at 09:08 AM.
Bexlee (06-04-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 09:36 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
2020 G63
Today is the day finally

The following 2 users liked this post by Bernard Hayes:
Bexlee (06-18-2020), E552006 (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nice...about time! I always thought they were delivered to dealers via enclosed truck or at least covered, like this one:

Bexlee (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 09:57 AM

2020 G63
Don’t I wish
Old 06-18-2020, 05:18 PM

If only they came like that. I think this is for the train only from what I’ve seen.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:39 PM

2020 G63
Wouldn’t that material vibrate in the wind and ruin the paint?
Old 06-18-2020, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Bexlee
If only they came like that. I think this is for the train only from what I’ve seen.
The dreaded rain dust! I ordered a new pickup truck many moons ago and it arrived with rail dust all over the top surfaces, which required a total repaint since it has etched the paint.
Bexlee (06-19-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 01:43 AM

The dreaded rain dust! I ordered a new pickup truck many moons ago and it arrived with rail dust all over the top surfaces, which required a total repaint since it has etched the paint.
thats right - hot metal filings :-( terrible stuff.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 577 Likes on 380 Posts
2023 G63
Called around to various dealers yesterday and one an hour away received a spec brown G63 for $175k they are selling for $190k. They are the only dealer in NC that upcharges. They may sell out of market but the other dealers selling for sticker are pretty adamant about selling in market only.

Last edited by Hodog16; 06-19-2020 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Hodog16
Called around to various dealers yesterday and one an hour away received a spec brown G63 for $175k they are selling for $190k. They are the only dealer in NC that upcharges. They may sell out of market but the other dealers selling for sticker are pretty adamant about selling in market only.
I saw your post before you made an edit: I did not think 2021 allocations were even out yet? And in the past the first new ones would not get to the US until Dec. - is that why you made the edit?
Old 06-19-2020, 10:41 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
2021 g63, 2020 BMW M340i, 2015 AUDI RS7
I saw your post before you made an edit: I did not think 2021 allocations were even out yet? And in the past the first new ones would not get to the US until Dec. - is that why you made the edit?
The 2021 allocations were released. My dealer show me the order page last Friday, it has the PO#, MY 2021 G63, and it was scheduled for build-in first decade of September. He thought it could be delivered in October if the launch of the new model year doesn’t have any delays.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 577 Likes on 380 Posts
2023 G63
Yeah I wasn't sure about the allocations but I clarified it's for 2021. I just got the green light to get it, so I'm going back today to test drive with and without adaptive suspension and put a deposit down! Will post more details later!