G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

G500 tire/steering vibration issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G500 tire/steering vibration issue

This post is directed to anyone who drives a G500 or knows anyone who drives G500.

There is currently about 9300 miles on my G wagon. This problem is that at speeds over 40 mph, there is a vibration in the steering that you can see and feel. If I let go of the wheel, it actually sits there and "wobbles" I guess is the best word for it, back and forth. There is not great movement, but, it sits there and moves about 2 inches clockwise and counterclockwise rapidly. This is not constant, but, at different times, on most any highway.

I have had my g500 to the dealer 4 times now for a problem related to the steering. 1st time, they rotated and balanced the tires. 2nd time, they rotated and balanced the tires. 3rd time, they installed some sort of steering shock, and rotated and balanced the tires. Now, the 4th time, they called me today and told me that they had contacted Mercedes directly and was told that this problem is related to how the tires wear.

I don't go out and "see what she's got", "drive crazy", or anything like that at all. I take very good car of it, have never had it off road, never over 80 mph, probably not ever over 75, I take really good care of this truck.

The dealer has offered to swap the tires out, which I have accepted. But, I just cannot see that a car that cost me $80K has tires that "cup" as they wear, causing this vibration. The dealership says that this is the problem. They say they can replace the tires, but, the problem will come back, and when it does, it just does, and there is nothing that can be done. They also told me that there are only 3 types of tires that Mercedes will allow to be put on this vehicle, and that only 1 is available in the US.

What I am asking, in this very long post, does anyone else have this or a similar experience with a g500 with under 10K miles? This is a 2003 model, by the way.

Thanks!

Glen
Old 08-05-2004, 10:08 AM

66 230S 111.010 02 G500 463
You need the "updated" steering damper. This is a known issue to G enthusiasts, of which your dealer could care less. Go to the "other" forum and do a search - you should be able to find the exact part number. www.mbworld.org has a better G forum. They'll know.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:28 PM

The updated steering damper you mention has already been installed, according to the dealer. This was done at the last visit, or the 2nd, I cannot remember which.

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2004, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by glen4cindy
The updated steering damper you mention has already been installed, according to the dealer. This was done at the last visit, or the 2nd, I cannot remember which.

Thanks!
Find the part number and make sure they put the beefier one on. It should be the same part that the Maybach uses.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 MB G500 NMLE, 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige
Originally Posted by mb230s
You need the "updated" steering damper. This is a known issue to G enthusiasts, of which your dealer could care less. Go to the "other" forum and do a search - you should be able to find the exact part number. www.mbworld.org has a better G forum. They'll know.
Wrong link to the forum. The one you left comes right back here.

Try this one instead.

http://tinyurl.com/3nusk

(It's disguised to foil the auto-censor-bot.)
Old 08-06-2004, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 MB G500 NMLE, 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige
Originally Posted by glen4cindy
This post is directed to anyone who drives a G500 or knows anyone who drives G500.

There is currently about 9300 miles on my G wagon. This problem is that at speeds over 40 mph, there is a vibration in the steering that you can see and feel. If I let go of the wheel, it actually sits there and "wobbles" I guess is the best word for it, back and forth. There is not great movement, but, it sits there and moves about 2 inches clockwise and counterclockwise rapidly. This is not constant, but, at different times, on most any highway.

I have had my g500 to the dealer 4 times now for a problem related to the steering. 1st time, they rotated and balanced the tires. 2nd time, they rotated and balanced the tires. 3rd time, they installed some sort of steering shock, and rotated and balanced the tires. Now, the 4th time, they called me today and told me that they had contacted Mercedes directly and was told that this problem is related to how the tires wear.

I don't go out and "see what she's got", "drive crazy", or anything like that at all. I take very good car of it, have never had it off road, never over 80 mph, probably not ever over 75, I take really good care of this truck.

The dealer has offered to swap the tires out, which I have accepted. But, I just cannot see that a car that cost me $80K has tires that "cup" as they wear, causing this vibration. The dealership says that this is the problem. They say they can replace the tires, but, the problem will come back, and when it does, it just does, and there is nothing that can be done. They also told me that there are only 3 types of tires that Mercedes will allow to be put on this vehicle, and that only 1 is available in the US.

What I am asking, in this very long post, does anyone else have this or a similar experience with a g500 with under 10K miles? This is a 2003 model, by the way.

Thanks!

Glen
Unfortunately, the wider offset wheels that are sold only in the US seem to make the truck a whole lot more prone problems with the steering and suspension than is the case in other world G500's. MBUSA will never admit that, but we never hear of these problems from other countries.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by DUTCH
Wrong link to the forum. The one you left comes right back here.

Try this one instead.

http://tinyurl.com/3nusk

(It's disguised to foil the auto-censor-bot.)
I'll be d*mned - yes - the b_e_n_z_w_o_r_l_d.org G forum (in large part b/c of Dutch) is the best place for G info.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:45 PM

2003 G500
Steering Wheel vibrartion in G500

Glen: I have the same exact problem with my '03 G500 since it was brand new (30K miles now). I've been to the dealer multiple times, they couldn't figure it out.

I had the tires replaced that took care of the problem but came back in about 3000 miles. I have noticed the stearing wheel vibrates when (a) the car is cold (usually mornings) and the vibration fades away after running the car for about 2 or 3 miles, and (b) when it sits in the guarage for more than a day or two.

It seems that the tires cup due to the weight of the vehicle. I have tried Michelen and Bridgstones so far. I am yet to find better tires that will take care of this problem.

Let me please know if you were able to take care of this problem.

Dan
Old 12-11-2008, 06:46 PM

No, I was never able to have the problem fixed.

Finally, after less than 60,000 miles, I traded it off.

The dealership where I bought it and ALWAYS had it serviced would not even take it back for a trade in, I had to go elsewhere!!!!!!

I think they must have KNOWN there were SERIOUS problems with that vehicle. I had to have a few other things done to it over the months that I had it, and I lost a boat-load of money on it.

Thanks for asking.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:13 PM

2003 SL500 2005 G55
same thing happens to me.... When I bought my first G back in 04 I only put 1500 miles on it and it did the same thing.... The first time I thought I had a flat tire and pulled off the highway because it was vibrating bad.... The same thing with my G55 it vibrates all the time and I had the tires balanced etc etc......I bought 22 inch wheels this past summer custom made to fit that truck and I still had the vibration.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:42 PM

Mercedes GLE 63S / GL 420 CDI / C250 Diesel 4 MATIC
Try a new set of Michelin tyres

Glen I have a 05 G500 with new Michelin tyres and there is no vibration at all.
I had a S300 with the same problem, and after several atempts at the dealer finally I decide to install new Michelin tyres also, and the problem was solved.
Try a new set of Michelin tyres maybe it works.