G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

2020 G550 shut off while driving today.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 06:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 G550 ,2018 S63 amg Coupe,2019 AMG G63,2021 AMG 63 (on order),2021 G550 (on order)
Had same thing happen to me exactly.
It's the 4X4 transfer case gear sensor malfuction.
There is a recall for it.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 460 Likes on 375 Posts
'25 EQG deposit, '21 718 Spyder & '20 HD Fatboy
Originally Posted by Silvir00
I just ran my VIN and no recalls were found: https://www.mbusa.com/en/recall
Old 07-22-2020, 07:04 PM

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
2020 G550
Interesting. I was taking a turn. Wondering if it has something to do with wheel sensor speeds as well inputting into the transfer sensor.

As Bob said, no recalls and my dealer even said this in conversation.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 G550 ,2018 S63 amg Coupe,2019 AMG G63,2021 AMG 63 (on order),2021 G550 (on order)
In my truck problem was differential lock malfunction specifically .This caused all my multiple warning lights to come on and vehicle stall.
Part 463-906-45-02 Actuator.
It only stalled once when moving slowly.But all the warnings appeared many times until fixed.all good now.
My speaker grills rattle too at certain exhaust frequencies too,drives me nuts.Rear drivers side door grill.
Mine is a Canadian 2019 G63.I got a letter in the mail about this recall after the fix was done.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 MB G550, 2016 MB AMG GTS
We have a 2020 G550 and have had the same failure of the truck restarting at a red light after the auto start/stop feature activated. It’s happened randomly on 3 separate occasions. There are no error messages. It’s very scary as you have to cycle the power back on and off manually, which is scary when the light has turned green and traffic is starting to move. I just dropped it off at the dealer yesterday. Did anybody get a conclusive answer to this problem?
Old 11-22-2020, 03:19 PM

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
2020 G550
Mine has never done it again. Dealer found no codes or anything wrong when they scanned the ECU. No event records either.

One thing I didn’t mention before, was that when this happened I had just taken off from the stop light and was putting the G into Sports mode right when it shut down.

Makes me think that something about the car starting back up and switching to Sports Mode at the same time may have thrown something out of whack.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 Aston Martin Vantage
Originally Posted by Clapton24
We have a 2020 G550 and have had the same failure of the truck restarting at a red light after the auto start/stop feature activated. It’s happened randomly on 3 separate occasions. There are no error messages. It’s very scary as you have to cycle the power back on and off manually, which is scary when the light has turned green and traffic is starting to move. I just dropped it off at the dealer yesterday. Did anybody get a conclusive answer to this problem?
This used to happen on a new C Cabriolet of mine...most times when the engine shuts off for Start/Stop, I'd have to turn it back on! Definitely was scary. I took it in, and I think the dealer changed the battery....turns out my car had sat on the lot for quite a while, combine that with the top mechanism drawing a lot of power every time it went up & down, kinda made sense. Hadn't had the issue since then.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 963 Likes on 739 Posts
G550
In my truck problem was differential lock malfunction specifically .This caused all my multiple warning lights to come on and vehicle stall.
Part 463-906-45-02 Actuator.
It only stalled once when moving slowly.But all the warnings appeared many times until fixed.all good now.
My speaker grills rattle too at certain exhaust frequencies too,drives me nuts.Rear drivers side door grill.
Mine is a Canadian 2019 G63.I got a letter in the mail about this recall after the fix was done.
The MB TSB for the U.S. NHTSA recall lists the defective differential actuators as P/N 463 906 33 01 (front) and P/Ns 463 906 33 01 or 463 906 34 01 (rear). The replacement kit actuator P/N is 463 906 4602. The U.S. recall describes the faulty actuators as possibly disabling the ESP and ABS systems, but says nothing about vehicle stalling. If stalling is possible, the recall is far more serious than MB is revealing. Do you have a copy of the Canadian TSB or recall letter that you can post to the forum?
Old 11-23-2020, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by Clapton24
I had been habitually shifting into Sport mode each time I started the G in order to disable this annoying ECO start/stop function. The "A" disable/enable button next to the Engine start button has never worked and the dealer knows nothing about this (or is unwilling to comment). I permanently disabled ECO start/stop by disconnecting the current sensor at the battery's negative terminal. After 2 months and 1500 miles, there have been no collateral effects other than the gratifying indication upon start up that the ECO start/stop is OFF, and the same indication each time I bring the vehicle to a stop. I don't bother shifting out of Comfort mode anymore.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:17 AM

2020 g550
I’m having the same issue. 2020 g550 with 8k miles.
had this come up at 1-2k miles. Was brought in and they “adjusted” something related to brake pedal or sensor I believe..
my vehicle was also having a super weird issue on the high way, id get a total shut down with alerts saying brake assist off, blind spot off, abs off, etc. It was like my whole dashboard would light up.

im starting to get the start stop issue again every couple of stops.
is MB gonna replace the car or will they keep trying to fix this issue after telling me the first time that “they don’t know what else it can be?”
Old 04-20-2021, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 G63 AMG
Originally Posted by E552006
WTF, this was a downright dangerous situation.

Honestly, only thing that saved my *** from possibly being rear ended was that I was at a controlled intersection and it was a Sunday morning with light traffic.

This morning, I fire up the G and head down to the end of my neighborhood, stop at the stop light and wait for the green to turn left onto a usually very busy 4 lane road with a speed limit of 45.

As I’m turning left, just as I start to straighten the wheel, the engine dies and I get red warning lights on the dash about the various drivers assistant technologies on the car such as blind spot detection, lane assist etc.
I lose engine power and steering assist, I think my brakes still worked but it happened so fast and I was only going about 15-20 mph so I stoped fairly quickly.

So here I am sitting in the middle of a 4 lane road stopped with no power. I quickly put the G into park and cycled the ignition and she fires right up. By this time I had vehicles approaching from behind so I got going.

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them??
This was downright dangerous and like I stated above, I was saved by being at a controlled intersection with lighter than usual traffic. If this had happened while merging onto a busy highway or turning onto a busy road at rush hour, I’m sure I would have been rear ended.
MB is going to hear about this tomorrow.
Hi I had the same thing happen to my 2019 G63 a week ago. Did you find out the cause? Or does Mercedes have a fix? thanks for sharing
Old 04-21-2021, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by Aashim Bhatia
Hi I had the same thing happen to my 2019 G63 a week ago. Did you find out the cause? Or does Mercedes have a fix? thanks for sharing
Follow the procedure in the post at https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w...tins-tsbs.html. There is a TSB about the car going into limp mode during slow acceleration that could be related. Take a copy of the TSB to the dealer - I don't think most dealers read them otherwise.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:47 PM

G550

Honestly, only thing that saved my *** from possibly being rear ended was that I was at a controlled intersection and it was a Sunday morning with light traffic.

This morning, I fire up the G and head down to the end of my neighborhood, stop at the stop light and wait for the green to turn left onto a usually very busy 4 lane road with a speed limit of 45.

As I’m turning left, just as I start to straighten the wheel, the engine dies and I get red warning lights on the dash about the various drivers assistant technologies on the car such as blind spot detection, lane assist etc.
I lose engine power and steering assist, I think my brakes still worked but it happened so fast and I was only going about 15-20 mph so I stoped fairly quickly.

So here I am sitting in the middle of a 4 lane road stopped with no power. I quickly put the G into park and cycled the ignition and she fires right up. By this time I had vehicles approaching from behind so I got going.

This was downright dangerous and like I stated above, I was saved by being at a controlled intersection with lighter than usual traffic. If this had happened while merging onto a busy highway or turning onto a busy road at rush hour, I’m sure I would have been rear ended.
I have a 2020 G550 and I just had this happen to me this morning. Actually it’s happened once before, but I just thought it was a glitch and didn’t think much more about it until it happened again and I Googled and see it’s happened to others. Did anyone ever find out what is causing it and a resolution to the problem?
Old 05-05-2021, 03:58 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 GT BS, 2019 G63 ED1, 2016 GTS
Had same thing happen twice on my 19 g63. Its the diff sensors. They replaced one, the a second, then all of them. No problem since. Good luck.
Old 05-06-2021, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by fuel007one
Had same thing happen twice on my 19 g63. Its the diff sensors. They replaced one, the a second, then all of them. No problem since. Good luck.
"Diff sensors" -- are you referring to the differential actuators that were a safety recall issue?
Old 05-07-2021, 02:42 PM

Will try to go find the work order but there was no charge for any of it. What is equally odd is that I have had 2 other friends with Rovers experiencing similar issues and all related to the differentials....
Old 05-07-2021, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by fuel007one
Will try to go find the work order but there was no charge for any of it. What is equally odd is that I have had 2 other friends with Rovers experiencing similar issues and all related to the differentials....
I think one of the recall documents I read indicated that the differential actuators are provided by a supplier in Sweden. It wouldn't be unusual for the same supplier's actuator component to be used on many Euro vehicles with locking differentials.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:49 PM

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
2021 G550, BMW X5M, 2020 Toyota Supra LE
Happened to me today in my 21’ G550 (<5,000miles).

On Monday I received a “Fording Not Possible-Service Required” when I started my car. Turning the car off and on again cleared the warning light and I haven’t had anything since.

Today, after being stopped for a red light, as I am driving off I had a loss of power, a bunch of warning lights appeared, and the vehicle stalled.

Started it back up and all is running fine.

No recalls for this on my VIN, But I found this TSB.

Old 06-17-2021, 09:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E350, W140 S, C63, G55, 420SEL, Prius, Dune Buggy, Ducati
Great find!
Old 09-14-2021, 08:28 AM

G 550
This is happening to my 2021 G 550 - I have taken it in to the service center 3 times for this. First they changed braking pins? - didn't fix the problem. Next time they did something to the software I think - still stalling. Last week it stalled twice in one day. My 16 year old daughter was driving and lost sterling control. Thank God she was on a residential street and just hit a curb. It could have been so much worse. The car is back at the service center - no word yet. It has stalled at red lights, in drive throughs and even while driving on the high way. It is so dangerous!

Old 09-15-2021, 04:09 PM

2020 g550
I had a lemon law repurchase due to these issues/ stay persistent if that’s what you want. They couldn’t figure it out^
PM me if U have any questions
Old 09-15-2021, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by maracmorrison
This is happening to my 2021 G 550 - I have taken it in to the service center 3 times for this. First they changed braking pins? - didn't fix the problem. Next time they did something to the software I think - still stalling. Last week it stalled twice in one day. My 16 year old daughter was driving and lost sterling control. Thank God she was on a residential street and just hit a curb. It could have been so much worse. The car is back at the service center - no word yet. It has stalled at red lights, in drive throughs and even while driving on the high way. It is so dangerous!
I think I've asked this question before -- were you in a drive mode where the ECO Start/Stop function is active? ECO Start/Stop shuts off the engine when you brake to a stop. A malfunction in this system could have the effect you're experiencing. There are methods to permanently disable this annoying (and dangerous) useless "feature", if you suspect it could be the cause.
Old 09-15-2021, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by maracmorrison
My 2019 had this same issue. In the end they replaced all the diff lock sensors. Hope this helps.
Old 01-13-2023, 03:03 PM

21 G550
this happened to me on the 24th of December on my way to the airport. I had to go back home leave It there and just got back to take it to service. hopefully they can fix this issue. ive had fording issues previously, stalling, spark plugs replaced and now this.
Old 04-10-2023, 12:04 PM

G550
Similar happened to me

may I ask, how was this ever resolved? I had something similar happen. When I brought it to the dealership, I was told “ that’s what happens” — I told them you should NEVER be able to turn off a car that is in drive. Only park or neutral. I called Mercedes corporate and they agreed, the ignition button should not turn off the car while it is in drive. This has to be a known problem to Mercedes. It is now 2023.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2020 G550 shut off while driving today.