G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

2014 G63 Lift Kit and Tire Recs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 06:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 G63
2014 G63 Lift Kit and Tire Recs

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been posted before but I’m looking to do a 2” lift on my 2014 G63 and maybe some 33-35” tires. Nothing crazy. Just want a meaner stance and and want to make the ride better, that’s about it. I’d like to keep the stock 20” rims.

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
dalaw69 (03-19-2022)
Old 12-18-2020, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts
mgLipGD
40mm spring spacers gives the 2” lift
31mm wheel spacers gives 1.25” wider on each side
Old 12-18-2020, 08:11 AM

2014 G63
Originally Posted by black06c230
40mm spring spacers gives the 2” lift
31mm wheel spacers gives 1.25” wider on each side
That’s all I’d need? I don’t need new shocks, springs, etc?
Old 12-18-2020, 08:18 AM

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
G63, G65
Originally Posted by Sssiid
That’s all I’d need? I don’t need new shocks, springs, etc?
That's the easiest, most cost effective solution. Provides exactly what you are looking for in the most cost effective package. The factory shocks should be long enough unless you are going to do some extreme off roading. 33s should fit without issue.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:19 AM

2014 G63
Originally Posted by The Butcher
That's the easiest, most cost effective solution. Provides exactly what you are looking for in the most cost effective package. The factory shocks should be long enough unless you are going to do some extreme off roading.
Thanks!

Nope, just want a meaner stance. Do you have any brands you recommend?
Old 12-18-2020, 08:22 AM

G63, G65
Looking back at your post I see you want a better ride. Adjustable Fox shocks seem to be the best for ride quality improvement since you can dial them in to your preference. Softer springs (THOR) would be the next option, but you tend to get more body roll with them than the factory springs. Can get a little unnerving for some people.
The following users liked this post:
C240-Merc (12-22-2020)
Old 12-18-2020, 08:23 AM

G63, G65
Thanks!

Nope, just want a meaner stance. Do you have any brands you recommend?
Go on G Wagon parts and order all of the above. I think I might actually have some 40mm spacers sitting around, as well as some wheel spacers. I'll take a look.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:24 AM

2014 G63
Looking back at your post I see you want a better ride. Adjustable Fox shocks seem to be the best for ride quality improvement since you can dial them in to your preference. Softer springs (THOR) would be the next option, but you tend to get more body roll with them than the factory springs. Can get a little unnerving for some people.
Yeah the body roll is not something I like. I don’t mind the rough ride tbh but if I could smoothen it out and get the lift with some 35”s that would be great. Also this is purely for show, I live in NYC haha
Old 12-18-2020, 08:53 AM

G63, G65
Yeah the body roll is not something I like. I don’t mind the rough ride tbh but if I could smoothen it out and get the lift with some 35”s that would be great. Also this is purely for show, I live in NYC haha
35s might be a tough fit with 40mm spacers. I think you can fit them with 50mm spacers, and for sure with 70mm springs.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:36 AM

2014 G63
33s are fine as well, I've found a couple kits on gwagenparts.com, there's a big price difference between https://www.gwagenparts.com/product/...th-ome-shocks/ and https://www.gwagenparts.com/product/...stable-shocks/ or any of the other ones plus the steering stabilizer bar.

I've seen someone else on the forum say what you said and they have 40mm spring spacers, 31mm wheel spacers, and Fox 2.0 adjustable shocks and he has 285/55/20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. . .basically I want that same look.

I just cant decide whether I should get the entire kit or just the 40mm spring spacers, 31mm wheel spacers?

Old 12-18-2020, 10:58 AM

G63, G65
33s are fine as well, I've found a couple kits on gwagenparts.com, there's a big price difference between https://www.gwagenparts.com/product/...th-ome-shocks/ and https://www.gwagenparts.com/product/...stable-shocks/ or any of the other ones plus the steering stabilizer bar.

I've seen someone else on the forum say what you said and they have 40mm spring spacers, 31mm wheel spacers, and Fox 2.0 adjustable shocks and he has 285/55/20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. . .basically I want that same look.

I just cant decide whether I should get the entire kit or just the 40mm spring spacers, 31mm wheel spacers?
OME shocks ride like crap. You don't need a steering stabilizer. Most of the stabilizers (Fox/King) are gas charged, and they tend to push on the tie rod which makes the truck want to wander to one side. On the streeet you shouldn't need anything more than the factory one.

Best ride for the lift height you want is what you described. Spring spacers, Fox shocks. Wheel spacers are personal preference in terms of how you want the tires to look in relation to the fenders, but 31mm tend to look the best with the factory offset wheel.
Old 12-18-2020, 11:09 AM

2014 G63
OME shocks ride like crap. You don't need a steering stabilizer. Most of the stabilizers (Fox/King) are gas charged, and they tend to push on the tie rod which makes the truck want to wander to one side. On the streeet you shouldn't need anything more than the factory one.

Best ride for the lift height you want is what you described. Spring spacers, Fox shocks. Wheel spacers are personal preference in terms of how you want the tires to look in relation to the fenders, but 31mm tend to look the best with the factory offset wheel.
You think going up to 50mm is too much of a risk?

Do you have any tires you can rec?
Old 12-18-2020, 12:36 PM

Received 456 Likes on 277 Posts
2005 G55K
The larger spring spacer/lift you go, the less stable your truck will be on the highway. Without adding something like radius arm drop brackets, longer radius arms, or radius arm offset bushings, you'll be increasing the caster angle, which will make the stability more twitchy. The general consensus is 40-50mm should be fine, but 70+mm you'll most likely need to address the caster correction.

I have Fox 2.0 shocks and would agree they are a great upgrade to make the ride more comfortable without losing any 'performance'. The install is a little bit more tricky but any good shop should be able to take care of that. An upgraded steering stabilizer may help if you run into any vibration issues, but it is not needed. I upgraded mine to a Fox 2.0 stabilizer as my OE was old and shot. 35's will be pretty large even with a 50mm lift, but may have run these without too many issues. 33's will probably fit without any issues. I'm on a 32" (285/60R18) BFG KO2 on OE G63 height and the ride is great (compared to the G55 rock hard setup), the look is what I was looking for, and the tires perform well all year 'round. BFG KO2's are pretty quiet on the road (exhaust is louder while cruising) and they work well off road, as well as in the snow/cold, but there are a few other good options for A/T tires with good on-road characteristics.
Old 12-18-2020, 12:41 PM

2014 G63
I see you're in Brooklyn, I am too. I just spoke with G Wagen Parts and they told me the Fox 2.0 are on backorder but are going to be discontinued...so if there are any alternatives I'd love to hear about them.

I think maybe I do the 40mm spring spacers, 31mm tire spacers, and get some 33s? I'm going to be driving from NYC to Long Island on the highway and that's it. I know the G63 is a rough ride, I have an X5 also and its literally like the road is butter so I'm not expecting that.

Do you have a pic of your car with the tires?
Old 12-18-2020, 01:06 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
g63

Have you installed a portal axle kit on anything?
Old 12-18-2020, 01:58 PM

Received 456 Likes on 277 Posts
2005 G55K
I see you're in Brooklyn, I am too. I just spoke with G Wagen Parts and they told me the Fox 2.0 are on backorder but are going to be discontinued...so if there are any alternatives I'd love to hear about them.

I think maybe I do the 40mm spring spacers, 31mm tire spacers, and get some 33s? I'm going to be driving from NYC to Long Island on the highway and that's it. I know the G63 is a rough ride, I have an X5 also and its literally like the road is butter so I'm not expecting that.

Do you have a pic of your car with the tires?
Fox stopped producing the W463 specific kit early this year with no continuation of production planned yet. I was in discussion with several sources and got similar stories from all of them. Eurowise has kits that they put together for the W463 from other applications and a pair of brackets. I found the kit through JackWagonOverlanding. I thought the install was fine, but there are a few things that leave you scratching your head. There is also cutting required to make the reservoirs and lines/fittings fit.

Another option will be the King adjustable shocks, but for your later model, they will also require cutting. There is a thread on here about removing part of a bracket. Ohlin's, I believe are a full bolt-on solution that should be the best in terms of comfort, but at a much larger price tag. Any adjustable shock will be significantly more comfortable than the OE AMG suspension. I swapped out my G55 springs for 'new' G63 springs when I changed over to the Fox 2.0's and would say the springs are a little bit too stiff for the shocks, but still much better than the OE shocks. You don't necessarily need to change out your shocks with the spring spacers, but they will be at their absolute limits of travel so will ride even worse than they currently do, and will start failing sooner than if you left it stock. There are also other non-adjustable shocks that many have used. I did not do much research into these so cannot comment.

40mm spring spacers and 31mm wheel spacers will be a good safe combo. Depending on your size of wheels, your tire size choices will be limited. 20" wheels seem to have a good number of sizes in most A/T tires though. 33's area also a good safe choice, paired with both spacers, to ensure you have enough suspension travel and also back spacing as no to rub while turning. Since full suspension travel while turning probably isn't a situation you'll find yourself in regularly, you should not have issues with rubbing.

For 20" wheels, you have a few different choices of sizes. A 275/60R20 will get you to 33" diameter, and a 285/55/20 will get you to 32.3".

I moved out to NJ this year but drive back into the city a few times a week for work. Similar kind of drive that you will be facing, with road surfaces, traffic, etc. The new suspension and larger A/T tires have made a world of difference. Cobblestone streets of Dumbo or Soho are now tolerable, a stark contrast to before being shaken to death when doing anything over 10mph.

I ended up choosing the KO2 since it is pretty much the benchmark when comparing hybrid A/T tires. They are quiet on the highway, look nice and aggressive, do really well off roading (which I plan do more next year), and handle the snow well, although not as good as a dedicated winter tire. I needed a good all-season/terrain type tire as I end up driving between warm and cold climates a lot during the winter, so switching to a dedicated winter wheel/tire set would not make sense. They work well in packed snow, and are controllable in slush. I have not driven them on ice yet so cannot comment.

My tire change alone netted a 1" truck lift, so with your plan of 33's and a 40mm spring lift, you're looking at an overall 3-4" truck lift.

Here's my G55 on some trails a month or so ago. G63 springs (OEM height) with Fox 2.0's and the OE G55 18"x11.5 wheels - BFG KO2's in 285/60R18, which is a 31.5" diameter wheel.

Last edited by shiann; 12-18-2020 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:51 PM

2014 G63
Originally Posted by shiann
Fox stopped producing the W463 specific kit early this year with no continuation of production planned yet. I was in discussion with several sources and got similar stories from all of them. Eurowise has kits that they put together for the W463 from other applications and a pair of brackets. I found the kit through JackWagonOverlanding. I thought the install was fine, but there are a few things that leave you scratching your head. There is also cutting required to make the reservoirs and lines/fittings fit.

Another option will be the King adjustable shocks, but for your later model, they will also require cutting. There is a thread on here about removing part of a bracket. Ohlin's, I believe are a full bolt-on solution that should be the best in terms of comfort, but at a much larger price tag. Any adjustable shock will be significantly more comfortable than the OE AMG suspension. I swapped out my G55 springs for 'new' G63 springs when I changed over to the Fox 2.0's and would say the springs are a little bit too stiff for the shocks, but still much better than the OE shocks. You don't necessarily need to change out your shocks with the spring spacers, but they will be at their absolute limits of travel so will ride even worse than they currently do, and will start failing sooner than if you left it stock. There are also other non-adjustable shocks that many have used. I did not do much research into these so cannot comment.

40mm spring spacers and 31mm wheel spacers will be a good safe combo. Depending on your size of wheels, your tire size choices will be limited. 20" wheels seem to have a good number of sizes in most A/T tires though. 33's area also a good safe choice, paired with both spacers, to ensure you have enough suspension travel and also back spacing as no to rub while turning. Since full suspension travel while turning probably isn't a situation you'll find yourself in regularly, you should not have issues with rubbing.

For 20" wheels, you have a few different choices of sizes. A 275/60R20 will get you to 33" diameter, and a 285/55/20 will get you to 32.3".

I moved out to NJ this year but drive back into the city a few times a week for work. Similar kind of drive that you will be facing, with road surfaces, traffic, etc. The new suspension and larger A/T tires have made a world of difference. Cobblestone streets of Dumbo or Soho are now tolerable, a stark contrast to before being shaken to death when doing anything over 10mph.

I ended up choosing the KO2 since it is pretty much the benchmark when comparing hybrid A/T tires. They are quiet on the highway, look nice and aggressive, do really well off roading (which I plan do more next year), and handle the snow well, although not as good as a dedicated winter tire. I needed a good all-season/terrain type tire as I end up driving between warm and cold climates a lot during the winter, so switching to a dedicated winter wheel/tire set would not make sense. They work well in packed snow, and are controllable in slush. I have not driven them on ice yet so cannot comment.

My tire change alone netted a 1" truck lift, so with your plan of 33's and a 40mm spring lift, you're looking at an overall 3-4" truck lift.

Here's my G55 on some trails a month or so ago. G63 springs (OEM height) with Fox 2.0's and the OE G55 18"x11.5 wheels - BFG KO2's in 285/60R18, which is a 31.5" diameter wheel.

Thank you for the detailed response, much appreciated! Do you think with a 40mm and 31mm I could do a 22” rim with a 33X12.50R22 MT tires or 305/45R22 RT tire?

Now I’ve got the itch...figured this would happen haha