G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

What engine do I have? 2004 G55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2024 | 03:49 PM

2005 CL65
What engine do I have? 2004 G55

Hello all,

I just recently purchased my first gwagon (2004 G55 with 8" lift). Im loving the car and slowly working through a bunch of small little issues. Im curious to know the engine my car has. I have read some contradicting statements online saying the 2004 had the supercharged engine but then read this started in 2005. From what I have seen looking at google images the stock supercharged engine has the AMG plate on the top of the supercharger and the engine cover doesn't cover the middle of the engine. My car is missing the bottom half of the engine cover. To me it appears to have a supercharger and also has what I expect are coolant lines to the intake on the engine and what also appear to be BOV/recirculation valves on the top front of the engine (sorry no photos as I am away on a buisness trip for the next month or so). I am thinking this is an aftermarket supercharger for the N/A engine but not sure.

Let me know your thoughts.

Other items I am working on:
- Clear the SOS error message in dash (I have ordered a topdon scanner which should have the ability to let me code out this)
- Code out the command system (I cannot set the dash time as I have an aftermarket stereo (I know I could do the noon trick but i would like to be able to change it with DST/ect)
- Replace LED tail lights as one is giving errors. Hopefully the new ones dont have any errors
- Possibly replace the steering wheel with a newer looking unit
- Possibly upgrade dash eventually
- Some suspension work (struts are out being rebuilt currently), and need to go through it and make sure its all in good order.
- Possibly remove spare wheel and mount (eventually fill/level the holes and have the rear door repainted)
- Look into an idle spike when car is in park. Possibly intake leak or something with the tune? with truck in gear and foot on brake idle is around 7-800 rpm. When you go to park it will go up to 13-1500rpm and sit there steady
- a bunch of other random things I cannot think of right now haha.

Last edited by eaks; 10-09-2024 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-09-2024 | 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Built 2008 G55 & one big 80 Series LandCruiser !
Intersted to see pics when avail.... 8" lift sounds scary.... what is it running - 40's ? The motor would be NA if OEM but perhaps it has a retro or Weistec kit ?

lot's of questions... but congrats !
Old 10-09-2024 | 07:15 PM

2005 CL65
Found some pics on my cell from the seller when I first started talking to him. The one under a lift is the only pic I have that I took of it when I got it home and barely tucked away. Maybe someone can see the engine based on these pics as well.

Thanks

Old 10-09-2024 | 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Interesting -

That looks more like a 3-4" lift with 32's perhaps ? shocks are Kings or retro'ed in from a 4x ?? anything over 3" takes a TON of extra parts to get it right.....and/or drivable as a DD...

The motor..... No idea.... but looks OEM minus a few covers likely - 5.5NA motor.... 113k, solid and reliable...? for sure not OEM Sc'er or Weistec.

What are your goals/ plans ?

Old 10-09-2024 | 07:48 PM

2005 CL65
to be honest I am not planning on pushing the truck fast. I just wanted something fun as a DD all year (I only put 2-5000kms on my daily a year). It wont get much real truck duty either as I have a 1ton cummins I use for hauling the sleds in the winter and anything I need a truck for. In the summer im normally driving the 911 turbo or viper. Decided with the miles I put on I would sell my daily hybrid and my cobra replica (havent put 200kms on it since I bought the viper two years ago). I was planning on picking up a different G and doing the fox shocks and a 2" lift but then I saw this and decided for a similar price I would just go with this one. I was told 8" but again I am not sure. I am trying to figure out exactly what it is.

The shocks are walker evans and I am told they are custom built for this application. I am not 100% sure tho and need to get through it. Im going to replace the drag link and have a look at the panhard rod ends as they are a bit squeaky (I am hoping I can grease them up if not ill pull the ends and try and find a replacement).

For the engine I will post some photos when im home but there was a pully centered off the engine just below the intake which had a case around it going back to what I believe would be the intake manifold. I will snap some better pics and hopefully figure out exactly what this is when I get home.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2024 | 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Gotcha - to get over 4" takes a flatbed of parts to get it right..... 2" is easy peasy...

Pics of the underside when you have them will help - as will what you run into for issues... Walker Evans would be interesting.. valving is key for these. I tried to get Dylan at Icon to consider working up a 3.0 fully adjsutable setup like he did for my landcruiser but at the time he had less then no interest....

Eurowise will be a good source when you need to solve for suspension things...

Hopefully others can weigh in on the motor...

look forward to more pics and details as time allows.

Old 10-09-2024 | 10:28 PM

2005 G55K
Definitely looks like a lot more than a 2" lift. Maybe a 4" lift, but even then, the wheel to fender gap is much larger than I've seen in the past. Maybe they used Thor springs with an additional spring spacer?

For the engine, it's a M113 5.4L 'stroker' motor - basically the same as the m113k supercharged motor but no supercharger. There is definitely something going on there with those 2 oil lines branched off from between the oil fitler housing and the oil cooler. Those lines running across the top and also the intake manifold poking out from under the engine cover looks different, but I haven't been able to find a good picture of a 5.4L M113 with the engine cover off. Also, normally on the 5.0L M113, the secondary air injection pump is located right in the top front middle area, clearly not there on your engine.

Will be cool to learn more on what has been done to it.

Old Yesterday | 10:19 AM

2005 CL65
What I was told was this was a custom built dyno-comp 8" lift kit that was done by the original owner in Arizona for sand dunes apparently. I will get some photos of the lift, bottom end and also engine and what I thought was the supercharger. Truck also has a couple small oil leaks I plan to get addressed. Looking forward to getting it up to snuff and making it mine (and learning a lot along the way). Tires are pretty much brand new but I am considering picking up another set of g55/g63 20" rims and trying out an offroad 37" tire. Not 100% sure but its something im considering. Ill keep my eyes open for a real good deal on a set of stock rims and maybe go that direction down the road.

Last edited by eaks; Yesterday at 12:43 PM.