G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

Help with G550 purchase decision!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2021, 10:52 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
G
Question Help with G550 purchase decision!

Hi Guys,

First post! About to pull the trigger on a used G550.

I have 2 sourced, almost exactly the same build and I would love some opinions. One is a 2019 the other is a 2020. The costs are within $10k of each other. Both CPO. That said, I do understand the market and yes I am paying a market price, but I don’t want to wait 2-3 years, as life is short and have incentive to purchase thru business this year. If we can avoid a price discussion that would be awesome.

What I would love to pick your brains about is a few differences between them, that I will have to make a compromise somewhere. I plan to have a more off road use/vibe, hence the G550. I am in CA, but go to desert and mountains/snow. Very simple build planned with some nice AT rubber on the stock wheels, expose the rear tire/flip facing out, maybe remove the bull bar, but that’s about it. Maybe chip it. Keep it classic and clean.

Here are the specs:
Both cars are Obsidian Black / Black Int. w/ Exclusive Interior with comfort. AMG Line. Night Pack. As stated, I want simple/classic, as I plan to keep for at least 6+ years, maybe forever

So my questions are these:

Option 1: 2020
Has 13k miles. CPO plus +2 yr extended warranty/unlimited miles is thru 4/27. This is good, as its covered thru being paid off.
Differences: Has a heated steering wheel (wife really wants/I like too... but gloves).
Has the 12.3 inch widescreen digital speedo/tac option. I am not a fan personally.
This is where I am stuck, as I really want the analog gauges. Personal preference.

Questions are:
Can I swap out the digital gauges for an analog cluster, IF I can source one, as it seems to be discontinued when I search for it (Ideas on source appreciated as well.)
I believe it would be plug and play, but want to confirm there are no other wiring issues or programing issues to be aware of? Assume a dealer has to install, etc.
Also, what issues does this raise with mileage, can the correct miles be programed in and what red flags for a mileage change come up... does it flag on CarFax, etc? Any warranty issues created by swapping this?
This swap would be my preferred route, as I can get the car with better warranty, newer model year, and heated steering wheel is in. Swap and done.

Option 2: 2019
Has 15k miles. CPO plus +2 yr extended warranty/unlimited miles is thru 10/25. Ends about a year before car is paid off, so I will sacrifice some warranty coverage (1.5 years) and later model year, for the analog gauges.
But no heated wheel.
This route sounds like a less good option, but is slightly cheaper by $10k and if it is more doable to achieve the goal?

Questions are:
Can I swap a heated wheel for the non-heated easily in the 2019? Will the wiring be present in a non-heated build? This seems easier maybe than speedo, but not sure if the wiring is there for this. If not, that will be much more difficult I assume.
I will sacrifice warranty (1.5 years) and the later model year for analog gauges. Is that just dumb?
Lastly, this has carbon fiber interior vs dark ash in 2020. Carbon is more expensive option, but don’t really care and I may like the wood better anyway. I was really after Piano Black.

Beyond this:
Neither has adaptive suspension. I have not been able to find any builds with low miles/CPO, etc. that I am after with this option. Seems to rarely be ordered. Thoughts if this is an essential? Seems more a highway safety extra from what I can tell and standard on AMG 63. If I was ordering it’s a no brainer and would tick the box; but since it is a needle in a haystack, I may have to release this option.

Also, in 2020 Desert Mode was added. Any thoughts on this. I am not sure I have a good understanding of this mode. I mean the truck has 3 levels of locking diffs, so guessing it’s a computerized mode for light off-road to be switched on at driving speed, or?

Any other differences or issues I should know about, 2019 vs 2020?

Thanks for reading, that’s my dilemma. I know they are not big issues, but it is all comes down to personal preference and I would love to get as close to the build I would do, if I could actually order one now.

My choice here would be 2020 and swap gauges, if possible? All thoughts greatly appreciated and look forward to being active here.

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2021, 01:53 AM

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
G550
Theoretically possible to retrofit a heated steering wheel. It's more complicated than one would think. Im not a mechanic so I dont understand it but on other MB vehicles I've read about it requires a new wheel AND "steering column switch module" ... That sounds complicated to me but if you're mechanically inclined it might be easy.

Widescreen digital speedometer is standard now, I think you could get used to it if it's tolerable for you.

I have the Adaptive Suspension on my G550. No idea if it does anything to be honest, but it sounded like something that acts as a valuable safety feature and it was a cheap option so I got it. My dealer didn't have an opinion on it either way so I do get the impression that it's not considered a must have option for typical new or used buyers of this truck.

Desert mode changes engine/transmission settings as well:
The new drive mode is activated through the Dynamic Select switch and combines late upshifting, more direct throttle response, and an adjusted ESP to boost the G-Class’ capability on the sand.
If you are planning on specifically off-roading on sandy terrain I would get it.

The following users liked this post:
Pst_pnk (12-19-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 963 Likes on 739 Posts
G550
Most others on the forum will disagree, but I think both the heated steering wheel and carbon fiber interior are overrated. I have neither and don't dislike my '19 G550 any less. I do have the digital panel cluster and this is (IMO) one of the nicest design features of the G. The entire display is integral and appears thought out - it doesn't look like an iPad velcro'd to the HVAC vents as do many other vehicles, including some MBs. I don't have adaptive suspension - my driving style would never reveal its advantages (if there are any) and it's just another feature that will eventually malfunction and cost big bucks to fix.

Last edited by streborx; 12-19-2021 at 09:22 AM.
Pst_pnk (12-19-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 08:30 PM

G
Originally Posted by Deezwho
Theoretically possible to retrofit a heated steering wheel. It's more complicated than one would think. Im not a mechanic so I dont understand it but on other MB vehicles I've read about it requires a new wheel AND "steering column switch module" ... That sounds complicated to me but if you're mechanically inclined it might be easy.

Widescreen digital speedometer is standard now, I think you could get used to it if it's tolerable for you.

I have the Adaptive Suspension on my G550. No idea if it does anything to be honest, but it sounded like something that acts as a valuable safety feature and it was a cheap option so I got it. My dealer didn't have an opinion on it either way so I do get the impression that it's not considered a must have option for typical new or used buyers of this truck.

Desert mode changes engine/transmission settings as well:
The new drive mode is activated through the Dynamic Select switch and combines late upshifting, more direct throttle response, and an adjusted ESP to boost the G-Class’ capability on the sand.
If you are planning on specifically off-roading on sandy terrain I would get it.
I am definitely going for the 2020 after much deliberation, and this helped. I can't see going with 2019 and getting less warranty. No choice on active suspension, so guess I will let it go. With that in mind, I will see if I can get used to the widescreen display. Was just hoping to have a solid understanding if I did want to replace with the analog. I don't love the idea of screen going out and not having gauges, plus I just like analog things in general. Anyway, I may post a separate thread to explore speedo swap. And thanks for Desert Mode clarification, it will likely get used:)

Thanks again for your thoughts.
Old 12-19-2021, 08:39 PM

G
Originally Posted by streborx
Most others on the forum will disagree, but I think both the heated steering wheel and carbon fiber interior are overrated. I have neither and don't dislike my '19 G550 any less. I do have the digital panel cluster and this is (IMO) one of the nicest design features of the G. The entire display is integral and appears thought out - it doesn't look like an iPad velcro'd to the HVAC vents as do many other vehicles, including some MBs. I don't have adaptive suspension - my driving style would never reveal its advantages (if there are any) and it's just another feature that will eventually malfunction and cost big bucks to fix.
Thanks for your thoughts. I am going for the 2020 which has the digital display... glad you like it, and I will try it for a while. If I hate it, I'll figure out a swap if possible. Or just suck it up. Heated wheel is already on this build and I am used to having it, so glad on that. As for carbon fiber, I am with you. On the G550 seems a bit out of place, like is more a road car vibe... on G63 seems fine if you like it, I just have never been a big fan even in true sports cars. Doesn't excite me for some reason, but I know some people love it... I just prefer wood. Thanks again!
Old 12-19-2021, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 372 Posts
2023 G63
I think going for the 2020 is the right decision. I think if you leave the digital screen in classic mode it will be close enough to the analog gauges with really no other concessions unlike the 2019 where you were giving up a number of things.

I have the dark ash wood and it's really nice. I prefer the matte look to the glossy trims.
Pst_pnk (12-21-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 07:24 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
G550
Honestly the digital LCD dashboard is amazing - I'll go as far as saying it might be a must on this car (at least for me). I also was not a fan at first but I would never trade it for the analog version. For context, I love my 911 because of the analog gauges - but in the new G, the digital just works. It's part of what makes the new G special... very dated/iconic exterior design yet still modern inside. Best of both worlds.
The following 2 users liked this post by SixPointThree:
pdeacon (12-21-2021), Pst_pnk (12-21-2021)
Old 12-25-2021, 09:24 PM

G
Originally Posted by SixPointThree
Honestly the digital LCD dashboard is amazing - I'll go as far as saying it might be a must on this car (at least for me). I also was not a fan at first but I would never trade it for the analog version. For context, I love my 911 because of the analog gauges - but in the new G, the digital just works. It's part of what makes the new G special... very dated/iconic exterior design yet still modern inside. Best of both worlds.

With you on the Porsche gauges... the best. I have a 72' 911T and a 95' 993, so maybe that is enough for analog gauges? Still hung up on it tho... inching closer to accepting the digital cluster.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2021, 09:26 PM

G
Originally Posted by Hodog16
I think going for the 2020 is the right decision. I think if you leave the digital screen in classic mode it will be close enough to the analog gauges with really no other concessions unlike the 2019 where you were giving up a number of things.

I have the dark ash wood and it's really nice. I prefer the matte look to the glossy trims.

With you on the Matte vs Glossy... unfortunately I found out the one I am interested in has the Gloss Brown ash, not the Dark Matte ash.

Likely putting this on hold till the new year... CPA says wait.

Merry Christmas All!

Old 12-26-2021, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 G63
Interesting! It’s amazing all the G’s I’ve looked at for fun on autotrader etc looking at trims, colors and so forth over the years, I’ve never seen one with the glossy brown wood. I’d say 85% are carbon maybe 10 percent dark ash and the rest metal weave.

I would say replacing the dash is next to impossible but replacing the trim would be doable but expensive.
Pst_pnk (12-26-2021)
Old 12-26-2021, 09:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 G63
dont swap out anything in these vehicles.
matte is cool but a ***** to live with.
Pst_pnk (12-26-2021)
Old 01-06-2022, 01:10 AM

G
Smile

Happy New Year!

Update with some questions:

I have now found a very, very low miles mid-2019 CPO car that came off a lease, was garaged and almost never driven... under 2k miles. With the extended warranty I get 4.5 years full coverage till 6/2026. Cost is less than previous 2 options. Still stupid mark up, but the car is almost brand new, it literally doesn't look like has been driven. I drove it today and put a deposit down.

Obsidian Black, Exclusive Black Interior with Comfort and the Widescreen (which I have had my opinion changed, after spending a good deal of time with it. So thanks to @streborx @SixPointThree and @Hodog16 . It really does make the interior feel more cohesive.

Also important to me is the trim, which is Matte Ash Black @Hodog16 and is now feeling good (I was really not into the gloss dark brown ash, felt dated, like MB from the 90's), only other option I was loving is Piano Black, which I have in an LR4. That in mind @tcsracing1 when you say "the matte is a ***** to live with", how so? I would think the glossy shows all the fingerprints, etc... at least that holds true for my Piano Black interior on my Land Rover? Also my wife had matte Walnut in a BMW and that held up fine (and she does NOT keep her car clean), so just curious why you find it difficult.

And one last and important question for @Hodog16 ... you said go with 2020, as it has more updated features, but the only features I could find that are different are the Desert Mode... for the price and the condition of this car I think I am willing to release that. I would love to understand if there is something else I am giving up by going with a mid-year 2019 vs a 2020? I have poked around online and don't find much, so anyones input here would be great. Dealer says there are no other real differences, but I trust this forum more than a salesperson.

In a perfect world I would have a Heated Steering Wheel and Adaptive Suspension, but otherwise feeling really good about this one and planning to go for it... any constructive thoughts are appreciated!

Old 01-06-2022, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 G63
Congrats sounds like you have found a great vehicle! Unbelievable off-lease to have less than 2k miles.

I don't think the 2020 model year itself has much more than 2019, I was making a comment more about that specific 2020 versus that specific 2019 in your first post.

If I recall correctly really the 2020 did not really have changes other than some options becoming standard like the frameless rear view mirror?
Old 01-06-2022, 01:43 AM

G
Thanks for clarification on that @Hodog16 , makes me feel better on the 2019 if there are no other real significant changes beyond Desert Mode. I think it is a good one ( and it has seamless mirror). Is there anything you don't like about your Matte Black Ash interior? I'm liking the look a lot with the rest of the build, it feels cohesive and modern, but still somehow classic. Excited to live in there with the comfort seats

Old 01-06-2022, 11:30 AM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2024 GLS 580 Alpine Grey, 2021 G63 Night Black Magno
Congrats on your find. Post pictures once you get it.
Pst_pnk (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 G63
I think tcsracing1 is referring to a matte exterior being a pain to maintain? The matte black ash wood is great because it shows zero fingerprints. I love it and the only drawback for me is that they don't have a leather/wood steering wheel option with it, so I'll either do it again with the next one or do a piano black trim so I can do the wood/leather steering wheel.
Pst_pnk (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 12:27 PM

G
Thats what I thought too... he might be thinking exterior? I do like a Matte exterior, just like I love a non-metallic Black, but I will daily drive this and I dont have garage space for it, so the Obsidian should be a little more forgiving on dirt, swirling and waterspots over time.

Originally Posted by Hodog16
I think tcsracing1 is referring to a matte exterior being a pain to maintain? The matte black ash wood is great because it shows zero fingerprints. I love it and the only drawback for me is that they don't have a leather/wood steering wheel option with it, so I'll either do it again with the next one or do a piano black trim so I can do the wood/leather steering wheel.
I am with you, love the Piano and am still slightly torn between the two... the Open Pore Black Ash feels very monochromatic with the black interior, less contrast than the all Piano, but still has the glossy black accents here and there like Piano. Both rate high for me, I like it and it will be different that my previous Piano interior. I think if I was doing the non-metallic black paint I would want the Piano as it ties the interior to the exterior... with the Obsidian, I think the Matte Ash may be the way forward.

Gonna have to decide today so...
Old 01-06-2022, 01:22 PM

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 GLC63s, 2021 G63OB, 2021 G63MB, 2022 G63MB
a while ago I saw a youtube video where a 2020 albeit a G63, with an analog gauge
here's the link
so it should work.
go with the 2020..sooner than later you'll realize that these are big drama queens and will need more than the usual maintenance especially if it's going to be a daily..just being honest..
Old 01-06-2022, 01:46 PM

G
Originally Posted by RedPill
a while ago I saw a youtube video where a 2020 albeit a G63, with an analog gauge
here's the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjSX_jJWMR8
so it should work.
go with the 2020..sooner than later you'll realize that these are big drama queens and will need more than the usual maintenance especially if it's going to be a daily..just being honest..
Thanks, now I need the G63. Just throw another $40-60k onto the price-tag

Regardless, making me rethink the analog gauges, its all a mindf*** when you dig into the details....
Old 01-07-2022, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 963 Likes on 739 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by Pst_pnk
In a perfect world I would have a Heated Steering Wheel and Adaptive Suspension, but otherwise feeling really good about this one and planning to go for it... any constructive thoughts are appreciated!
IMO, both are easy to survive without. Heated mittens will keep your digits toasty door-to-door.
Pst_pnk (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 02:49 PM

G
Hey guys I went for it! Took delivery last night and I’ll be posting some pics this weekend.

It’s still has plastic on all the emblems, on the inside thresholds etc and the window warning stickers etc. Literally like I took delivery of a new car. 1650 miles on the odometer.

It’s amazing
The following 4 users liked this post by Pst_pnk:
batmobl (01-07-2022), Hodog16 (01-07-2022), Kapoosh1 (01-07-2022), PeriodCorrect (01-08-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 04:28 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
G550
Congrats! You are going to absolutely love it. Nothing like a modern G... best car I have ever owned.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:19 PM

G
Originally Posted by SixPointThree
Congrats! You are going to absolutely love it. Nothing like a modern G... best car I have ever owned.
Nothing like it… agree and so happy with it. I live in LA and drive the hills regularly… this kind of goes against anything I expected in terms of comfort, control/handling on road, in corners, etc given it is a box… also so solid and Lux. Literally love it in the mechanical side… have some tech gripes, but this thing is solid.

Ao, removed chrome bull bar straight away… gonna do 285/50R20 Nittos (or similar, opinions?) and waiting on dealer to install the Night package trim that I negotiated into my deal, to black out, but may be rethinking that… kind of digging the old school flavor of the silver w black and the normal headlights vs night pac, TBD.

​​​​​​​Anyway, here are a few snaps as she sits currently…

Old 01-12-2022, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 G63
Looks great, congrats!

What was the dealer exactly going to do? I would be surprised if they were willing to actually replace items for you from the night package because those things aren't cheap.
Pst_pnk (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 12:44 AM

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
2011 G550
Good job ditching the new 550 brush guard. The previous gen brush guard looked nice; this one is odd. I do like the new 63 brush guard, however. Don’t forget to order caps to cover the holes.

Looks slick now! Hope to see it in WeHo or BH (with these wheels powder coated in black) soon!
Pst_pnk (01-13-2022)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help with G550 purchase decision!