2018 AMG G63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 09:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes-Benz AMG G63
2018 AMG G63

HELP please!
I have a 2018 Mercedes-Benz AMG G63. I am going out of town and I want to know how many days I can leave the G63 without starting it. I don't want the battery to die when I come back. I live in a building and I don't have any electrical outlets.
Please help me find a solution.
Thank you
Old 01-04-2022, 02:55 AM

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts
Mercedes G63
Important question is how many days are u going out of town. I leave mine in a garage all winter at 50 degrees and it will start in the spring. With Floridas warm weather I bet it could go months and be ok. Just buy a portable battery powered mini jump starter if you are worried about it. They are small, light, and work great. Under 150 bucks will get you a good one on Amazon.
The following users liked this post:
Steve Q (01-04-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 04:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 963 Likes on 739 Posts
G550
Assuming the battery is OE (~4 years old) and you've had no problems with it, that your absence is less than 3 weeks, and temps are not single digits, you should be OK. But batteries are unpredictable - there are no guarantees beyond its warranty (which won't start the truck at 2 a.m. in a cold dark car park).
Steve Q (01-04-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 09:41 AM

Mercedes-Benz AMG G63
Hello,
Thanks for your reply. I will be out for 1 month. Do you think I still need some type of charger?

Last edited by Steve Q; 01-04-2022 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-04-2022, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,453 Likes on 959 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by Steve Q
Hello,
Thanks for your reply. I will be out for 1 month. Do you think I still need some type of charger?
One month is nothing. I'll go a couple months sometimes without starting the rig. Just lock and leave it, you're good.
Steve Q (01-04-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 10:25 AM

Mercedes-Benz AMG G63
Originally Posted by places
One month is nothing. I'll go a couple months sometimes without starting the rig. Just lock and leave it, you're good.
Hey
I hope you're right. HAHA
I will lock and leave it for 1 month then.

Thanks!
places (01-04-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 10:32 AM

Mercedes G63
Originally Posted by Steve Q
Hello,
Typically yes! You don't have to get this one, but you can get this or something like it after deciding how many amps and other features you want. I have seen tests on smaller units cranking over Diesel engines. They work!

Amazon Amazon

Steve Q (01-04-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 963 Likes on 739 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer
Typically yes! You don't have to get this one, but you can get this or something like it after deciding how many amps and other features you want. I have seen tests on smaller units cranking over Diesel engines. They work!

https://www.amazon.com/AVAPOW-Batter...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
I love the way devices like this are spec'd -- 32,000 milliamp-hours!!! Yes! That's right! Thirty-two THOUSAND!!! Count them! That's almost 32 MILLION microamp-hours! Well OK - that's the same as 32 amp hours, which brings matters somewhat back to a meaningful reality.

Having a unit such as this connected as a backup to your main battery is not a bad idea if you're gone for a month. Make sure you connect it directly to the battery, the jump terminals or some accessory socket that stays live when the ignition is switched off.

On the other hand, you could offer your G to some forum member who would faithfully drive it every day during your absence to keep the battery charged (lol). (PM me if interested.)
Steve Q (01-04-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 12:04 PM

Mercedes G63
Originally Posted by streborx
I love the way devices like this are spec'd -- 32,000 milliamp-hours!!! Yes! That's right! Thirty-two THOUSAND!!! Count them! That's almost 32 MILLION microamp-hours! Well OK - that's the same as 32 amp hours, which brings matters somewhat back to a meaningful reality.

Having a unit such as this connected as a backup to your main battery is not a bad idea if you're gone for a month. Make sure you connect it directly to the battery, the jump terminals or some accessory socket that stays live when the ignition is switched off.

On the other hand, you could offer your G to some forum member who would faithfully drive it every day during your absence to keep the battery charged (lol). (PM me if interested.)
I used to work in the electrical industry as a lineman and yes there are some conversion tactics employed at times with some. Like 1KV or simply 1000 Volts, same thing but one seems bigger. These packs are meant more for a jump start as opposed to hooking it up as a maintenance charger. If you have the right amperage unit, they will jump a dead battery fast. I caught on to them at the power company I worked at. When I started there I first became a gas boy, oil guy etc doing all the light maintenance on the fleet. Worked on everything from cranes to caterpillars to aerial reaches etc. I would see the mechanics use these all the time when they would go out and jump start a dead vehicle when sometimes it was 20 below and it had been sitting for weeks. Good things is there will be no temp degradation in FL like there is in a NE winter. I have one for motorsports that is the size of small cell phone. I used it to jump a friends high compression bike and he couldn't believe it lol. Yep, he got one too. The Project Farm via Youtube is a great reference for so many things and there's a good video on these units, where the guy is non biased and puts things through real testing. I only wish we had these when I was growing up on the farm. (:

Last edited by Jagdpanzer; 01-04-2022 at 08:57 PM.
Steve Q (01-04-2022)