G63 Winter Set Up

20x9 Rotiforms
BF Goodrich KO2
275/55 /20

Old 11-28-2023, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 963 Likes on 739 Posts
G550
Do you run these year round, or just winter? Any reason you went with a 3MPSF rated tire instead of a snow rated tire? Just curious.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63 amgS
Originally Posted by streborx
Do you run these year round, or just winter? Any reason you went with a 3MPSF rated tire instead of a snow rated tire? Just curious.
honestly, who knows how long I’ll run them, I have the stock 22” this is my wife’s car and wanted a 20” winter tire. We had this same set up on a different car and winter is crazy here in Utah, these wheels were unstoppable in the snow.

and the look of those AT’s are fire
Old 11-28-2023, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by utahc63
honestly, who knows how long I’ll run them, I have the stock 22” this is my wife’s car and wanted a 20” winter tire. We had this same set up on a different car and winter is crazy here in Utah, these wheels were unstoppable in the snow.

and the look of those AT’s are fire
I'm in Colorado -- I'll have to drive across the state line and see how much crazier winter is there than here (lol).
Old 11-28-2023, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63 amgS
I'm in Colorado -- I'll have to drive across the state line and see how much crazier winter is there than here (lol).
it was brutal last year, my area is 7500-8,000 elevation none stop snow.
Old 11-29-2023, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
it was brutal last year, my area is 7500-8,000 elevation none stop snow.
We're just west of Durango at 7700 feet, and expecting more snow tomorrow and Friday.
Old 12-03-2023, 12:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2024 G63 AMG, 2022 GLE 63S AMG
20x9 Rotiforms
BF Goodrich KO2
275/55 /20

Badass setup!
What lug bolts did you use on these wheels?

Can you provide link from where you purchased the wheels?
Old 12-04-2023, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG G63
Looking good! Colorado here: I just put on 20” wheels with Blizzaks on my G63 and had no issues in white out conditions up in the mountains this weekend. How do those run in snow?

**This may be for its own thread but: For anyone with a heated windshield, what the F*** is the deal with this thing! You have to blast the MAX Defroster to activate it?

Totally defeats the purpose of a heated windshield if I have to sweat in order to use it. We really needed it in tough conditions this weekend and it was extremely uncomfortable to use.

Old 12-04-2023, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by elgordo111
Looking good! Colorado here: I just put on 20” wheels with Blizzaks on my G63 and had no issues in white out conditions up in the mountains this weekend. How do those run in snow?

**This may be for its own thread but: For anyone with a heated windshield, what the F*** is the deal with this thing! You have to blast the MAX Defroster to activate it?

Totally defeats the purpose of a heated windshield if I have to sweat in order to use it. We really needed it in tough conditions this weekend and it was extremely uncomfortable to use.
After activating the windshield defrost MAX switch, you can drop the fan speed separately. But I agree that these intelligent climate control systems are dumber than *****. I'll take the old fashioned 3 dial (temp, fan speed, zone set) manual control system any day.
Old 12-04-2023, 01:41 PM

AMG G63
After activating the windshield defrost MAX switch, you can drop the fan speed separately. But I agree that these intelligent climate control systems are dumber than *****. I'll take the old fashioned 3 dial (temp, fan speed, zone set) manual control system any day.
Right on! I will try that next time - I should have considered trying that as we were metering it on and off due to the extreme internal heat, but conditions were truly bad with cars disabled everywhere and crazy snow conditions.

Thanks
Old 12-04-2023, 02:40 PM
haa

Received 194 Likes on 147 Posts
I run the defrost with the front windows opened about 1 inch. Works great without overheating the inside and also avoids the extra pressure on my ears from running the fan on max.
Old 12-04-2023, 03:07 PM

AMG G63
Originally Posted by haa
I run the defrost with the front windows opened about 1 inch. Works great without overheating the inside and also avoids the extra pressure on my ears from running the fan on max.
Crazy that we need to have workarounds on this. I honestly love this car, but the heated windshield should either be on 24x7 or have its own button.

Another takeaway from being in extreme snow is that the windshield wipers caked up easily. I had to pull over at one point to clean them off and then they were (mostly) good for the next two hours. Anyone know of suitable replacements for heavy weather?

Those are really the only two nitpick items I have lol
The following users liked this post:
GforMe (12-05-2023)
Old 12-05-2023, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by elgordo111
Crazy that we need to have workarounds on this. I honestly love this car, but the heated windshield should either be on 24x7 or have its own button.

Another takeaway from being in extreme snow is that the windshield wipers caked up easily. I had to pull over at one point to clean them off and then they were (mostly) good for the next two hours. Anyone know of suitable replacements for heavy weather?

Those are really the only two nitpick items I have lol
I don't want to stray too far off topic into windshield wipers, but the OP is "winter setup" so maybe it's OK.

There were already a dozen windshield wiper attachment mechanisms when MB introduced its proprietary design that's on the W463A. When I looked into alternatives about 2 years ago, nothing from Bosch, Michelin or RainX was a direct fit. These other brands come with a handful of plastic adapters to fit J-hook, pin-style and tab lock adapters, and you end up with a big plastic knuckle that's likely to collect snow and ice anyway. A replacement set (2) of MB OEM blades from AutohausAZ runs about $42. In defense of MB's design, its attachment mechanism is minimal, has a simple slide-lock that requires only about 20 seconds to change the blade, and the blade is a beam design that sheds snow more readily than other types. I stopped by one of the major auto stores a week ago, and the Bosch, Michelin and RainX premium blades were $35-$40 EACH! So all things considered, the OEM blade is fine with me.

But what I find annoying is none of these blades allow for replacement of only the rubber blade. The complete wiper blade gets thrown away when 90% of it is still usable if the rubber blade could be swapped out.
The following users liked this post:
elgordo111 (12-05-2023)