G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

2024 Mango Black Paint Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2024, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G63
2024 Mango Black Paint Issue

HI, I Purchased a brand new G63 a few weeks ago. I did not notice at the time of delivery what appears to be faded paint on the rear and hood/fender area.

I contacted the dealer who looked at it and has no clue. They tested the paint thickness of both areas that have the "spots" and where the paint is normal and its the same thickness.

I am wondering if anyone here has experienced anything like this. The dealer says it could take a couple weeks to get an official response from MB, and even longer to repaint the whole vehicle.

Thank you for any insight anyone can offer on this. Photos below of the areas

Old 05-28-2024, 09:40 AM

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
G550
Congrats on your new ride! Based on the pictures it almost looks like a film or residue on the paint maybe from the protective film they use during transport? Did you try cleaning it throughly with a premium matte cleaner like Chemical Guys or Dr. Beasley’s?

If it truly is a defect with the paint job then unfortunately you’ll have to repaint the entire panel(s) or worst case the entire vehicle. Magno paint is notoriously difficult to color match. Also there are only a few certified shops that even do magno paint for MB so expect a fairly long turn around to have this corrected.

Last edited by tonygwagon; 05-28-2024 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-28-2024, 09:44 AM

G63
HI thank you, it's an amazing vehicle aside from this issue. I tried cleaning it well with the Adams Matte Paint Detailer. However the paint shop for this dealer and I think it's a base layer paint issue. So I guess I need to let them "try their steps".
Old 05-28-2024, 09:49 AM

G550
Yeah sorry to hear about that. Nothing worse than having to deal with an issue on a new buy. Probably best to let the paint shop work through it, but others on the forum may have some suggestions as well.

Last edited by tonygwagon; 05-28-2024 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-28-2024, 10:14 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
2024 G 63
Great. Now I want a mango.

Maddening. You should not have to deal with this. Mercedes should have noticed the problem at some point before they delivered the truck to you. This is disappointing, but I'm sure they will correct the problem.

A large truck scraped the driver door on my 2020 Magno Black G 63. I found a local collision repair shop with a good reputation. We discussed the difficulties with matte paint, and they assured me they could repair the door. They only painted the door panel, and the results were flawless. Perfect. BTW, I spoke to several other "high end" collision shops, and they all wanted to repaint the entire driver side of the truck.
Old 05-28-2024, 12:37 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
G63
I was told by my dealer when I purchased mine that MB takes a painstaking and laboriously long process for all of its matte painted vehicles, especially for black magno which apparently needs more paint layers sprayed than other MB matte colors. Mine is also magno black and I needed that assurance from my dealer before my purchase - I had already known that there is almost no room for error in matte blacks in general and all imperfections in the painting process will show. Have you ever closely examined factory matte black Lambos? They are full with imperfections! I'm very sorry this happened to you, but at least you're otherwise enjoying your new ride.

For what it's worth, I don't think you should worry about MB having to paint the entire vehicle. At most, a repaint of the affected panels should do the trick. A good MB authorized bodyshop will be provided with the exact paint code from MB. It's my understanding that MB keeps the composition of its paint codes a closely guarded trade secret and will only release them to its authorized bodyshop on a "need-to-know" or "need-to-have" basis. Perhaps that's why MB paint looks better and lasts longer than other carmakers.

It's best left to your dealer to handle it. I'm very interested in what MB says. Please keep us posted on this thread.

Congrats on the new ride!

Old 05-28-2024, 12:39 PM

G63
Originally Posted by sweet63
Great. Now I want a mango.

Maddening. You should not have to deal with this. Mercedes should have noticed the problem at some point before they delivered the truck to you. This is disappointing, but I'm sure they will correct the problem.

A large truck scraped the driver door on my 2020 Magno Black G 63. I found a local collision repair shop with a good reputation. We discussed the difficulties with matte paint, and they assured me they could repair the door. They only painted the door panel, and the results were flawless. Perfect. BTW, I spoke to several other "high end" collision shops, and they all wanted to repaint the entire driver side of the truck.
Haha. I picked that up too. Auto-correct sucks! A cup of mango ice cream sounds good though...
The following users liked this post:
sweet63 (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 02:12 PM
haa

Received 188 Likes on 142 Posts
Had the same exact issue in the same area with my 2019 edition one G63. This can happen at the prep facility or during shipping if there is contamination under the protective paint covers and the car sits in the sun and elements a bit too long. Had to be repainetd and MB will cover the cost. They had to redo it twice and call in the regional PPG expert to match the magno perfectly but they did get it right the second time around. Most reputable body shops use PPG auto paint and they have computers and consultants available to help match the magno paints or any color perfectly.
Old 05-28-2024, 02:17 PM

G63
Originally Posted by haa
Had the same exact issue in the same area with my 2019 edition one G63. This can happen at the prep facility or during shipping if there is contamination under the protective paint covers and the car sits in the sun and elements a bit too long. Had to be repainetd and MB will cover the cost. They had to redo it twice and call in the regional PPG expert to match the magno perfectly but they did get it right the second time around. Most reputable body shops use PPG auto paint and they have computers and consultants available to help match the magno paints or any color perfectly.
Thank you for letting me know! Was it a long process for them to paint? Did they have to repaint the whole vehicle? And did it hit your CARFAX in a negative way, I’m slightly worried about it being devalued once it’s repainted.
Old 05-28-2024, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 546 Likes on 362 Posts
2023 G63
Typically if it’s a warranty issue and covered by the manufacturer, it doesn’t hit Carfax but it does depend on the body shop. I’d ask to make sure. I’ve found most body shops around here don’t report so it’s typically a police report or insurance claim that gets filed to carfax, neither of which is applicable here.

Even if it doesn’t hit carfax I’d ask Mercedes for some compensation because somebody with a paint meter I’d imagine would be able to tell something happened. Plus the whole being without your vehicle and dealing with this headache deal.
Old 05-28-2024, 03:23 PM
haa

Originally Posted by JamesH12
Thank you for letting me know! Was it a long process for them to paint? Did they have to repaint the whole vehicle? And did it hit your CARFAX in a negative way, I’m slightly worried about it being devalued once it’s repainted.
It took 3 days and another 3 days to redo it. No Carfax report whatsoever
Old 05-28-2024, 03:25 PM
haa

error

Last edited by haa; 05-28-2024 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-28-2024, 03:26 PM
haa

Originally Posted by Hodog16
Typically if it’s a warranty issue and covered by the manufacturer, it doesn’t hit Carfax but it does depend on the body shop. I’d ask to make sure. I’ve found most body shops around here don’t report so it’s typically a police report or insurance claim that gets filed to carfax, neither of which is applicable here.

Even if it doesn’t hit carfax I’d ask Mercedes for some compensation because somebody with a paint meter I’d imagine would be able to tell something happened. Plus the whole being without your vehicle and dealing with this headache deal.
They refused to give me any compensation or discount due to the demand for the vehicle and I was buying it at MSRP. I did document with photos and the dealer notes that it was a manufacturer paint defect that was corrected in case someone had a paint meter and no issue whatsoever when I traded it in 3 years later.

Old 05-28-2024, 03:47 PM

Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts
GTC, C43 coupe, GLC 300
Originally Posted by Hodog16
Even if it doesn’t hit carfax I’d ask Mercedes for some compensation
Ive seen you comment this previously. Is this normal practice? Ive never had an instance where one of my MB's have been at the shop for an extended period but how long do they need to have it for you to be able to ask for compensation?
I feel like most dealers would tell you to eat rocks, unless the compensation is coming from MB directly?
Old 05-28-2024, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 546 Likes on 362 Posts
2023 G63
It would come from corporate not the dealer.

It does depend on how long the car is in the shop and what the nature of the issue is. 6 days total isn’t that bad and since this is cosmetic I’m not surprised they said no.

I’m not meaning thousands of dollars more just goodwill.

When my ix stranded me for 30 minutes in rush hour traffic and spent three days in the shop, BMW gave me $500 credit to use at the dealer. None of us are hurting for $500 it’s more the principle.

Doesn’t hurt to ask, if you don’t the answer is automatically no.
The following users liked this post:
3.Pointed.Czar (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 09:17 PM

G63
Originally Posted by haa
It took 3 days and another 3 days to redo it. No Carfax report whatsoever
#haa, sorry you had to go through that experience. At least your dealer was able to eventually provide a paint job to your satisfaction.

I think what #JamesH12 is asking is whether the fix your dealer provided was a repaint of the entire vehicle, or just the affected panels/areas? I'm interested as well in the event I need to repaint a panel (or the entirety) of my car at some point in the future.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-29-2024, 02:29 PM
haa

Originally Posted by AMGRonin
#haa, sorry you had to go through that experience. At least your dealer was able to eventually provide a paint job to your satisfaction.

I think what #JamesH12 is asking is whether the fix your dealer provided was a repaint of the entire vehicle, or just the affected panels/areas? I'm interested as well in the event I need to repaint a panel (or the entirety) of my car at some point in the future.

Thanks in advance.
It was just the panel with what they called "blending" into the adjacent panels. I could tell the color was a bit off in the sun the first time they did it and told them it was not acceptable. When I came back the second time I could not detect any difference in the color of the repainted zone in the sun. They told me they had to bring in the PPG expert to help match it perfectly.
Old 05-29-2024, 03:20 PM

G63
#haa, THANK YOU so much for the information! It's really good for me and other members to know this about paint/repaint on the G63 especially for matte owners. You referenced "PPG" several times. My apologies, but what does that sand for? Is there a website?
Old 05-29-2024, 06:56 PM

G550
Originally Posted by AMGRonin
You referenced "PPG" several times. My apologies, but what does that sand for? Is there a website?
https://www.ppg.com/refinish
The following 2 users liked this post by tonygwagon:
AMGRonin (05-30-2024), haa (05-30-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 02:59 PM

G63
Hi #JamesH12. Would you happen to have any updates from your dealer regarding the fix for your paint? Thanks in advance.

In the meantime, don't let it take away from the enjoyment process of your new G63.