G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

750 Mile Review of New 2025 G550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2024, 12:17 PM

Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts
2021 G550, BMW X5M, 2020 Toyota Supra LE
750 Mile Review of New 2025 G550

I took delivery of a ‘25 G550 on Friday. I traded in my 2021, prior to the 2021 I had a 2008 G500. The dealership is about 750 miles away, but they had my built, was at msrp, and gave me a fair trade in.

I will say I like everything better about the new G except the lack of exhaust note, hopefully there are some after market options available in the near future.

Ride Quality: The new G is quieter, smoother and also feels less tippy. The speed limit on some of my drive was 80, at around 85mph the wind noise seems how my previous one sounded at 60mph. Well, cruising at 70-75mph, although some wind can be heard, it overall is a drastic improvement.

It felt “tighter,” not as top heavy as my previous. This is subjective, but I noticed an improvement.

Driver Aids: This is a HUGE improvement, no longer does lane keep assist hit the brakes and give you a small heart attack. Distronic cruise and lane centering work great and really make long drives more enjoyable.

Stereo: I was never too impressed with my 2021 stereo, it had some rattles and never felt like a “high-end” stereo should. This is also a subjective measure but the new stereo seems fuller with better processing. Still not what I would consider to be at the very top of luxury vehicles stereos, but definitely an improvement.

Stop/Start: In my 2021 it was so annoying that I coded it out. With the mild hybrid set-up in the new G, it works pretty dang good. I may still end up coding it out, but it’s barely noticeable.

Exhaust: It’s basically non-existent. Break-in procedure says to drive only on “eco”
or “comfort.” Perhaps “sport” mode will help, but the sound is really neutered now.

Tips:
Augmented reality navigation is standard. For 200.00 (USA) you can enable the Dashcam to continuously record which is great. (Make sure you have a USB inserted)

Trailer backing assist: Another money grab, but it can be added for 110.00 for 1-yr through the MB store or for the lifetime of the vehicle for 350.00. I don’t really tow, but unlocked for the lifetime as in the event I tow I won’t have to wait for up to 2hrs for the feature to be turned on.

Wireless CarPlay: I have had zero issues with wireless CarPlay, it connects quickly and works as it’s supposed to.

Wireless Charging: It actually works, even with the phone in a MagSafe case, however the phone gets hot. When I grabbed my iPhone to snap a photo it stayed the phone “must cool down first.”

Overall it’s definitely an upgrade. Yes the V8 is gone, however getting 20mpg and a 500 mile range is also nice. Just don’t expect any rumble from the engine.

The following 10 users liked this post by 084runnerltd:
3.Pointed.Czar (09-15-2024), ddatin (Yesterday), desertg63 (09-16-2024), EJKaufman (09-15-2024), GforMe (09-15-2024), nsgymd (09-15-2024), powershot24 (09-15-2024), QuadBenz (09-16-2024), SVPDDS (09-15-2024), TexaS560 (09-16-2024) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-15-2024, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 378 Posts
2023 G63
Congrats and great to read your thoughts.

Just to clarify on the dash cam option -- does it actually change anything hardware related to order the $200 option from the factory or is it one of those "software unlock" deals that can be done any time? Also do you have to manually start it every drive?
The following users liked this post:
084runnerltd (09-16-2024)
Old 09-15-2024, 01:19 PM

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts
G63
Appreciate the review, and congratulations on that beautiful rig looks menacing in the matte black

Nice to know that the LKA system is no longer the "engage brakes suddenly and make you think you've smacked something" debacle, by far the worst implementation I have ever experienced

Interesting to note that you don't mind the start stop on the new hybrid setup, are you having to turn off a speed limit warning in the car? Another owner reported this wasn't the case, and I sure hope not (Europe is mandatory on every ignition start that there has to be an audible speed limit warning system)

Also interesting that your phone is still getting hot, as online reviews show an actual dedicated fan in there for that

Last edited by sampelligrino; 09-15-2024 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-15-2024, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Appreciate the review, and congratulations on that beautiful rig looks menacing in the matte black

Nice to know that the LKA system is no longer the "engage brakes suddenly and make you think you've smacked something" debacle, by far the worst implementation I have ever experienced

Interesting to note that you don't mind the start stop on the new hybrid setup, are you having to turn off a speed limit warning in the car? Another owner reported this wasn't the case, and I sure hope not (Europe is mandatory on every ignition start that there has to be an audible speed limit warning system)

Also interesting that your phone is still getting hot, as online reviews show an actual dedicated fan in there for that
Yes, LKA is great, the old setup was/is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

No need to turn off the speed limiter, it was off by default and I have never touched it.

My iPhone was in a case, perhaps if it was “naked” it wouldn’t be an issue. I was also driving for a long time, I am guessing trips around time the heat won’t be an issue.

Old 09-15-2024, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Hodog16
Congrats and great to read your thoughts.

Just to clarify on the dash cam option -- does it actually change anything hardware related to order the $200 option from the factory or is it one of those "software unlock" deals that can be done any time? Also do you have to manually start it every drive?
Its a software unlock, no changes to the vehicle at all.

You don’t need to start it every time, select “loop recording” and it continuously records.
Hodog16 (09-15-2024)
Old 09-15-2024, 04:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Aston DBS Superleggera, LR Defender, G550
Congrats! Beautiful. The steering wheel looks like an upgrade. Was that an upgrade ?
Old 09-15-2024, 05:15 PM

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
SLK320
Originally Posted by SVPDDS
Congrats! Beautiful. The steering wheel looks like an upgrade. Was that an upgrade ?
Hi @SVPDDS -- The steering wheel in @084runnerltd ’s gorgeous new G550 is the multi-function sport steering wheel, L5C. This is included in the AMG Line package, which is option code DG1. Hope this helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by powershot24:
084runnerltd (09-16-2024), SVPDDS (09-15-2024)
Old 09-15-2024, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by SVPDDS
Yes, steering wheel comes as a part of the “AMG Line” option which includes:

”Sporty Engine Sound” / Sport Exhaust
Brake Calipers with “Mercedes-Benz” Lettering
Multi-contour sports wheel in Nappa Leather
AMG line
AMG floor mats

In the US the option is 3,500, imo I would have paid that for the steering wheel. The standard wheel (to me) looks very cheap.

Last edited by 084runnerltd; 09-15-2024 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-16-2024, 12:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE53
Originally Posted by 084runnerltd
Yes, steering wheel comes as a part of the “AMG Line” option which includes:

”Sporty Engine Sound” / Sport Exhaust
Brake Calipers with “Mercedes-Benz” Lettering
Multi-contour sports wheel in Nappa Leather
AMG line
AMG floor mats

In the US the option is 3,500, imo I would have paid that for the steering wheel. The standard wheel (to me) looks very cheap.
Yes I totally agree.... the standard wheel is the same wheel you see in the S Class. It does look cheap with its large plastic section. Just looks out of place in a G.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fittske:
084runnerltd (09-16-2024), powershot24 (09-16-2024)
Old 09-16-2024, 10:20 AM

G63
Any thoughts on the change from the old Command UX versus the new MBUX? Much ado about nothing?
Old 09-17-2024, 04:23 PM

Any thoughts on the change from the old Command UX versus the new MBUX? Much ado about nothing?
I had only used MBUX a few times on loaner cars, so MBUX is pretty much all new to me. I would say it’s definitely a step forward. I never really had complaints with the command setup but MBUX has better graphics, faster, more customizable options, deeper menus (which may not be a good thing).

My skills on the capacitive touch wheel controls aren’t the greatest, although the controls look better (imo) on the steering wheel, it’s hard to beat real buttons. However, I am sure my skills will improve.

There a lot of gimmicks, which some may or may not find useful….games: trivia, shuffle puck, etc…As well as the energizing comfort options of different sounds , lighting, massaging and heating/cooling. Which I guess are cool to have, but I think most won’t utilize them often.

Additionally, it appears you can use it as a browser when the vehicle is in park. Again, may be useful for some, but not sure what the overall utilization rates will be.

Overall it’s an improvement. Other than getting used to the capacitive touch controls on the wheel, I can’t think of something the command system does better than MBUX. (Unless you prioritize simplicity, as command is an easier overall system with less menus)
powershot24 (09-18-2024)
Old 09-17-2024, 05:54 PM

G63
Originally Posted by 084runnerltd
I had only used MBUX a few times on loaner cars, so MBUX is pretty much all new to me. I would say it’s definitely a step forward. I never really had complaints with the command setup but MBUX has better graphics, faster, more customizable options, deeper menus (which may not be a good thing).

My skills on the capacitive touch wheel controls aren’t the greatest, although the controls look better (imo) on the steering wheel, it’s hard to beat real buttons. However, I am sure my skills will improve.

There a lot of gimmicks, which some may or may not find useful….games: trivia, shuffle puck, etc…As well as the energizing comfort options of different sounds , lighting, massaging and heating/cooling. Which I guess are cool to have, but I think most won’t utilize them often.

Additionally, it appears you can use it as a browser when the vehicle is in park. Again, may be useful for some, but not sure what the overall utilization rates will be.

Overall it’s an improvement. Other than getting used to the capacitive touch controls on the wheel, I can’t think of something the command system does better than MBUX. (Unless you prioritize simplicity, as command is an easier overall system with less menus)
Right on, congrats again on the new G. Maybe it's the curmudgeon in me but I usually prefer simplicity and had no issues with the old command system, never used MBUX myself. I need to get my hands on the new steering wheel (which looks awesome), but I liked the "button interface" of the now old outgoing steering wheel myself

Seems like overall, it was a worthy upgrade!
Old 09-18-2024, 12:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE53
Right on, congrats again on the new G. Maybe it's the curmudgeon in me but I usually prefer simplicity and had no issues with the old command system, never used MBUX myself. I need to get my hands on the new steering wheel (which looks awesome), but I liked the "button interface" of the now old outgoing steering wheel myself

Seems like overall, it was a worthy upgrade!
Coming from a command system will probably be bit of a learning curve for the new MBUX user. I am moving from a 21 GLE53 with MBUX to a new 2025 G, and I can tell you that the old Command system is what kept me from buying a 2024 G. When I tried to use the Command in the 2024 G I was interested in buying, I found myself taking my eyes off the road, looking down at the controller, trying to touch the screen etc. Once you learn MBUX it is so much easer than the Command system. The touchscreen alone makes the MBUX so much better. I think once you have the chance to try it you'll like it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fittske:
084runnerltd (09-18-2024), powershot24 (09-18-2024)
Old 09-18-2024, 03:35 PM

G63
Originally Posted by Fittske
Coming from a command system will probably be bit of a learning curve for the new MBUX user. I am moving from a 21 GLE53 with MBUX to a new 2025 G, and I can tell you that the old Command system is what kept me from buying a 2024 G. When I tried to use the Command in the 2024 G I was interested in buying, I found myself taking my eyes off the road, looking down at the controller, trying to touch the screen etc. Once you learn MBUX it is so much easer than the Command system. The touchscreen alone makes the MBUX so much better. I think once you have the chance to try it you'll like it.
That's great to read, appreciate it!
The following 2 users liked this post by sampelligrino:
084runnerltd (09-19-2024), Fittske (09-18-2024)