G Class (W465/W463A) W463 Produced 2019-2024: G550, G63 AMG W465 Produced 2025-

Lane Keep Assist

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2021 | 12:05 PM

2020 G550 2023 G63
Lane Keep Assist

Has anyone found a solution to turn this off "permanently" ?? like a fuse, reprogram or module. There were modules for the older models? anyone have experience with this. I dont like this feature.
Old 02-11-2021 | 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 G63
Haven’t heard of any. There’s solutions for turning off autostop.

I’ve gotten used to it. Pre drive ritual is switching to sport to turn off autostop and holding down the lkas button.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hodog16:
tonygwagon (09-15-2022), watchdoctor (08-02-2022)
Old 02-11-2021 | 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by cardiacdoc
Has anyone found a solution to turn this off "permanently" ?? like a fuse, reprogram or module. There were modules for the older models? anyone have experience with this. I dont like this feature.
I hacked this system about a year ago, finding it not only annoying but exceptionally hazardous, and determined not to wait until I hit a patch of black ice so I could sue MB. (When I become unable to keep my car between the lane stripes, I trust the local police will relieve me of my driving privileges.) The hack involved removing the headlight module and LKA/Parktronic sub-assembly, and adding an additional circuit that uses the LKA indicator light on-state to induce a switch closure for the required 3 second disable period. This is unfortunately not an easy hack -- just getting the headlight module out was a challenge, and the project took most of an entire day. But I enjoy the satisfaction of the LKA off notification appearing automatically every time I start the vehicle. A friend of mine recently purchased a GM pickup with LKA, and the dealer disabled it when he complained about it. MB dealers are uncooperative and refuse to do this (I was told it's not possible when I asked). If enough owners complain to the NHTSA about this being a safety hazard, maybe MBUSA will tell its dealers to disable it for customers who ask.
The following users liked this post:
OJ-G63 (09-16-2022)
Old 02-12-2021 | 11:14 AM

2020 G63, 2016 Range Rover LWB
Agree that it's a safety hazard. Really bizarre that mercedes designed this feature so poorly. I always try to turn it off but occasionally forget and it always startles me when my truck suddenly brakes and steers itself with no warning.
V8ray (02-12-2021)
Old 02-12-2021 | 05:47 PM

2024 G 63
I don't like it either. The easiest solution is to get into the habit of turning LKA off at startup. I'm surprised that there isn't an option to simply turn this feature off

Originally Posted by cardiacdoc
Old 02-14-2021 | 09:07 PM

BMW Z4 2020
Originally Posted by Hodog16
Haven’t heard of any. There’s solutions for turning off autostop.

I’ve gotten used to it. Pre drive ritual is switching to sport to turn off autostop and holding down the lkas button.
But why would you do that ?
Isnt it smooth auto start stop in the signals like the BMW ?
Old 02-14-2021 | 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 G63
Originally Posted by soamz
I don't like the engine turning off potentially at every stop. The wear and tear on the engine is not worth the likely minuscule savings in gas mileage.

Plus people have reported issues with the car turning off randomly that seems to be tied to the auto start stop being activated.
sweet63 (02-14-2021)
Old 02-15-2021 | 03:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
I find both LKA and ECO start/stop annoying, which is why I disable both. Not only the behavior of both, but that both always default to the active state each time the car is started. Some drivers may like them, but both should be selectable permanently as on or off. Imagine if the entertainment system always defaulted to playing German polka music every time you started the car.
Old 02-15-2021 | 06:59 AM

BMW Z4 2020
Originally Posted by Hodog16
I don't like the engine turning off potentially at every stop. The wear and tear on the engine is not worth the likely minuscule savings in gas mileage.

Plus people have reported issues with the car turning off randomly that seems to be tied to the auto start stop being activated.
Oh wow.
I drive a BMW Z4 m40i 2020 and the auto start stop is super super well built.
You don't even feel like when it stops and when it starts.

Old 02-15-2021 | 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Oh wow.
I drive a BMW Z4 m40i 2020 and the auto start stop is super super well built.
You don't even feel like when it stops and when it starts.
No doubt effort has been put into making this on/off as smooth and imperceptible as possible, and it's probably fine when in bumper-to-bumper stop-and-go expressway traffic. I find it jerky and latent when used at intersections and when making left-hand turns across oncoming traffic. The size of the battery in cars with this "feature" is nearly double the weight of a conventional battery, weighing in at about 27 kg.
Old 02-19-2021 | 04:32 PM

Aston DBS Superleggera, LR Defender, G550
I just got off the phone with Mid City Engineering and let them know our grievences with LKAS. Hopefully they can work on a solution for us...
the*Clarkes (08-04-2023)
Old 02-19-2021 | 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by SVPDDS
I just got off the phone with Mid City Engineering and let them know our grievences with LKAS. Hopefully they can work on a solution for us...
I told them a couple months ago that an OBDII device that would kill the ECO start/stop and LKA systems would sell like warm doughnuts.
Old 07-01-2022 | 09:42 AM

Honda CRV
Please tell me more!! Where exactly is the module, and what electronic modification you had to do? I am definitely willing to spend 1 day on this job. Thanks!
Old 07-01-2022 | 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by Benny Boy
Please tell me more!! Where exactly is the module, and what electronic modification you had to do? I am definitely willing to spend 1 day on this job. Thanks!
The module is the one integral with the headlight switch that contains the LKA enable/disable button and red indicator light. I yanked the module out and added a microcontroller device that I programmed and wired in. Whenever the red LKA light comes on, the microcontroller asserts the equivalent of manually pressing the button for 3 seconds, thus disabling LKA every time the vehicle is started. I did this modification 2 years ago to my '19 G550 and it's worked flawlessly. I also did the mod for one other forum member. The tough part is getting the switch module removed from the dash because it uses some funky plastic spring clips that are easy to break. If you think you're able to get the module out and send it to me, I'll do the mod for you.
Old 07-01-2022 | 05:55 PM

Honda CRV
Originally Posted by streborx
The module is the one integral with the headlight switch that contains the LKA enable/disable button and red indicator light. I yanked the module out and added a microcontroller device that I programmed and wired in. Whenever the red LKA light comes on, the microcontroller asserts the equivalent of manually pressing the button for 3 seconds, thus disabling LKA every time the vehicle is started. I did this modification 2 years ago to my '19 G550 and it's worked flawlessly. I also did the mod for one other forum member. The tough part is getting the switch module removed from the dash because it uses some funky plastic spring clips that are easy to break. If you think you're able to get the module out and send it to me, I'll do the mod for you.
Nice i was about to program a servo to push the button everytime is start the engine. Thanks for your help to do the mod for me, i really appreciate 🤙, i happen to be able to do the mod part.
Old 07-01-2022 | 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
As you can imagine, it takes only a few lines of code to do the job. I used a PIC10F322 microcontroller, and even this device is an overkill for the task. PM me if you would like me to share my notes about where to make connections.
Old 07-06-2022 | 10:58 PM

G550, S550
https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w...ml#post8361520
same piece of tape is still working and does not disable anything except LKA
Old 07-07-2022 | 10:22 AM

G63, 911S, ModelX, Tacoma
i'm surprised there isn't something that can be uploaded through obd programmer, midcity has one for eco mode disable but not for LaneKeep...
Old 07-07-2022 | 10:41 AM

2020 G550
That was me!! Works like a charm every time I start the car up for the last year since you modded the controller for me!! Definitely a worthwhile (and at least easy for you) mod for the new G wagons!
Old 09-15-2022 | 01:35 AM

2011 s550
When you set up your profile it should save the auto on/off, Lane assist, and whatever mode (Eco/Sport) you want. Kinda ridiculous you have to keep turning them off on each restart
Old 09-15-2022 | 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by Bobbyj24
When you set up your profile it should save the auto on/off, Lane assist, and whatever mode (Eco/Sport) you want. Kinda ridiculous you have to keep turning them off on each restart
This is the way these options should work, but don't. The auto start/stop active on vehicle startup is an EPA compliance issue from what I understand, and is why the vehicle always defaults to Comfort. There's no excuse for LKA active on vehicle startup except maybe MB is collecting data on its behavior and efficacy. Still waiting for someone to comment on how it works on black ice.
Old 09-15-2022 | 10:17 AM

G550
This is the way these options should work, but don't. The auto start/stop active on vehicle startup is an EPA compliance issue from what I understand, and is why the vehicle always defaults to Comfort. There's no excuse for LKA active on vehicle startup except maybe MB is collecting data on its behavior and efficacy. Still waiting for someone to comment on how it works on black ice.
EU has regulations for LKA where it's required to be enabled on vehicle start. Not sure if NHTSA has the same rules but if not we are probably seeing a case of "implement it for the most restrictive market". I agree though that it's annoying and even dangerous at times. I always turn it off but every once in a while I forget to and then get a shot of adrenaline when the feature kicks in and scares the sh*t out of me...
sweet63 (09-24-2022)
Old 09-15-2022 | 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by tonygwagon
EU has regulations for LKA where it's required to be enabled on vehicle start. Not sure if NHTSA has the same rules but if not we are probably seeing a case of "implement it for the most restrictive market". I agree though that it's annoying and even dangerous at times. I always turn it off but every once in a while I forget to and then get a shot of adrenaline when the feature kicks in and scares the sh*t out of me...
I don't think LKA is mandated by the NHTSA here in the U.S. In fact, several ADAS systems are being reviewed by the NHTSA in the wake of car crashes to see if systems such as LKA contributed to, failed to prevent, or were not related to the crashes. My '22 X7's Driver Assistance Pro Package (which provides LKA) is an option, and it allows for several of the ADAS functions to be individually disabled (which I've done for LKA). The X7 also has "steering assist" whose purpose is similar to LKA, but its behavior is much different. Instead of a sensation of rebounding violently off a concrete barrier, steering assist keeps the car centered in the lane, almost like a magnet. It works nicely with the adaptive cruise control, especially on interstates in disrepair.
Old 09-15-2022 | 03:36 PM

G550
I don't think LKA is mandated by the NHTSA here in the U.S. In fact, several ADAS systems are being reviewed by the NHTSA in the wake of car crashes to see if systems such as LKA contributed to, failed to prevent, or were not related to the crashes. My '22 X7's Driver Assistance Pro Package (which provides LKA) is an option, and it allows for several of the ADAS functions to be individually disabled (which I've done for LKA). The X7 also has "steering assist" whose purpose is similar to LKA, but its behavior is much different. Instead of a sensation of rebounding violently off a concrete barrier, steering assist keeps the car centered in the lane, almost like a magnet. It works nicely with the adaptive cruise control, especially on interstates in disrepair.
Yeah the issue is that G Classes don't have electronic steering like your X7 (G's have hydraulic steering) so LKA uses "smart" braking on each wheel to veer you back into the lane, which is why the correction can seem so violent at high speeds. I'm shocked that they even implemented this since it seems prone to accidents and even more shocked regulators approved such a design...
Old 09-15-2022 | 03:44 PM

21 c43
On my 2021 c43 sedan I can just click the LKAS/steering buttons when the car is on, turn the car off, and it will stay off until I click the LKAS button again, doesn’t turn on after the next start like the auto start/stop system. Not sure why the g wagon or any other model would be different

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lane Keep Assist