G Class (W465/W463A) W463 Produced 2019-2024: G550, G63 AMG W465 Produced 2025-

Retrofit heated steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2021 | 08:41 AM

C63S Coupe
Retrofit heated steering wheel?

Bought a used 2019 G63. No heated steering wheel option. Has anyone successfully added this option? Are all of the new gen. steering wheels internally equipped for heat?
Old 08-26-2021 | 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by clay7484
Bought a used 2019 G63. No heated steering wheel option. Has anyone successfully added this option? Are all of the new gen. steering wheels internally equipped for heat?
I have speculated in other threads on this topic that including a heating element in all steering wheels would simplify inventory and logistics, given the variety of steering wheel options. However, I haven't read here that anyone has confirmed this on a take-off wheel. Even if the heating element is present, adding the activation switch would be considerably less than easy. A set of heated ski gloves is a quicker and cheaper solution.
Old 08-27-2021 | 06:31 PM

C63S Coupe
https://schawe-shop.de/mercedes-benz...ialanfertigung

thoughts, besides expensive?
Old 08-28-2021 | 10:19 AM

2020 G550
Before you buy any hardware make sure any required coding can be executed. MB and others (Porsche) will often offer the parts that make up what were factory options, then won’t provide coding, rendering the parts useless.
Old 08-28-2021 | 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by Ftedd
Before you buy any hardware make sure any required coding can be executed. MB and others (Porsche) will often offer the parts that make up what were factory options, then won’t provide coding, rendering the parts useless.
Buy these -- software (lining) included.

Old 08-28-2021 | 11:04 PM

C63S Coupe
Haha thats funny. I found the coding for my 991.1tts to add a 991.2 steering wheel, through some guy in Russia, no bull****.
The following users liked this post:
olcree1111 (12-19-2023)
Old 08-29-2021 | 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'25 EQG deposit, '23 MC20 Cielo, '20 Fat Boy
I know a guy: https://www.ebay.com/usr/ledermanz?ul_noapp=true
Old 01-12-2022 | 08:23 PM

G
Originally Posted by clay7484

Did you ever inquire on cost of this or find any other solution for your wheel? I am interested in this for my 19' G550

I miss the heated wheel on my LR4 and with the deluxe interior of the G, without the wheel as part of the comfort package seems short sighted. Also who doesn't tick the box for $250 on these builds considering overall cost... oh wait the guy that ordered mine. I got it, get gloves/ have those... regardless would like to figure a way to add this.

Anyone have more info if it can be/has been done?

THX!
Old 01-12-2022 | 08:46 PM

2018 GLC63s, 2021 G63OB, 2021 G63MB, 2022 G63MB
@clay7484 not all new gen coming with the option unfortunately. either you have it or you don't. mine is a 2021 without that option and from what I was told... @streborx 's suggested route is the best..
Old 01-12-2022 | 08:51 PM

G
Originally Posted by RedPill
@clay7484 not all new gen coming with the option unfortunately. either you have it or you don't. mine is a 2021 without that option and from what I was told... @streborx 's suggested route is the best..
Did you look at the link @clay7484 posted? That looks legit, I plan to reach out on cost… just thought someone may have inquired and could share.
Old 01-13-2022 | 04:03 PM

M5
Originally Posted by Pst_pnk
Did you ever inquire on cost of this or find any other solution for your wheel? I am interested in this for my 19' G550

I miss the heated wheel on my LR4 and with the deluxe interior of the G, without the wheel as part of the comfort package seems short sighted. Also who doesn't tick the box for $250 on these builds considering overall cost... oh wait the guy that ordered mine. I got it, get gloves/ have those... regardless would like to figure a way to add this.

Anyone have more info if it can be/has been done?

THX!
I don't think it's so much the $250, but some people like the dial selector on the wheel that you get instead of the heated wheel.
Old 01-13-2022 | 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Is this really a Informed Thread ? Sounds like a a bunch of guys "just guessing" !

No - it is not possible to "add" a heated wheel post-factory - the factory wiring harness is built/cut to accommodate ONLY those features that are being built for that car.

Now - does someone offer a "piggy back" wiring harness to add Heated Wheel to a G that doesn't have Heated Wheel - I haven't seen anyone offer that.

RJ Automotive in UK is "probably" the most informed tech on electrical features (Rajeev) - he has done things I had not thought possible on some of his stuff - Rajeev not necessarily the most expert on add-on/OBD-coding which in my opinion is Vladimir out of Belarus.

rjautomotive.net

So if you want to get a more informed opinion than mine - reach out to Rajeev - if it's possible Rajeev would know
Old 01-14-2022 | 02:23 PM

2009 C230
I looked into this with my dealership, here is their reply:

"As for the heated steering wheel what I can see from the parts side is your G-Wagon came with option code (L5B) (Leather Super sport Steering Wheel) Your vehicle does not show option code (LH1) (Heated Steering Wheel) I looked to see if we could do a retrofit and to do so we would have to replace the steering wheel module to have the switch for activation which I can order for $1,000 plus install and taxes. The steering wheel itself is where is gets tricky. With your option code (L5B) that particular style of steering wheel is not listed with option code (LH1) as an available option. Therefore the only way I could see this working is to install a different style and finish of steering wheel which has the heated option. The only one I show applicable for your vehicle is with option code (VL9) (AMG Performance steering wheel in black Nappa Leather) This Steering wheel is available in Germany and the price is $ 3,206.58 plus taxes and installation. After the hard parts replacement we would then have to re-code the relevant control units to tell the vehicle it has heated steering wheel after the parts replacement. I would anticipate all said and done roughly half a days labour at $139/hour would be $556. So all in we would be looking at about $5K to do a complete retrofit."

So after getting this information, I didn't go any further. I live in Canada but also own gloves so I'll deal without.
The following 2 users liked this post by CClement:
carlosinseattle (12-08-2022), drew138 (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022 | 08:17 PM

993 TT
Originally Posted by CClement

"As for the heated steering wheel what I can see from the parts side is your G-Wagon came with option code (L5B) (Leather Super sport Steering Wheel) Your vehicle does not show option code (LH1) (Heated Steering Wheel) I looked to see if we could do a retrofit and to do so we would have to replace the steering wheel module to have the switch for activation which I can order for $1,000 plus install and taxes. The steering wheel itself is where is gets tricky. With your option code (L5B) that particular style of steering wheel is not listed with option code (LH1) as an available option. Therefore the only way I could see this working is to install a different style and finish of steering wheel which has the heated option. The only one I show applicable for your vehicle is with option code (VL9) (AMG Performance steering wheel in black Nappa Leather) This Steering wheel is available in Germany and the price is $ 3,206.58 plus taxes and installation. After the hard parts replacement we would then have to re-code the relevant control units to tell the vehicle it has heated steering wheel after the parts replacement. I would anticipate all said and done roughly half a days labour at $139/hour would be $556. So all in we would be looking at about $5K to do a complete retrofit."

So after getting this information, I didn't go any further. I live in Canada but also own gloves so I'll deal without.
Kudos to your dealer. I've been looking for this answer for quite some time myself. Crazy a $550 dealer option costs almost 5k to retrofit. Thanks for sharing! Love the forum.
Old 02-06-2022 | 12:25 PM

Mercedes G-class W463A
can u just buy used column:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/13380492832...id=18041913113

and non sport or AMG regular heated steering wheel? the round one? those are cheap .. less than 1000,- usd

and do coding by an independent workshop?

all in all it looks like 1500,- usd anyway
The following users liked this post:
olcree1111 (12-19-2023)
Old 02-07-2022 | 05:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Doesn't anyone own gloves? What do y'all do to keep your hands warm when not in your car?
Old 02-07-2022 | 11:00 AM

Mercedes G63
Originally Posted by streborx
Doesn't anyone own gloves? What do y'all do to keep your hands warm when not in your car?
Not knocking people but I would give up the heated option to enjoy the two back lit wheel mode select options all year round. Not going to use the heated wheel in the summer. Just get a pair of light leather gloves.
Old 08-03-2024 | 09:52 PM

Volvo XC90
Originally Posted by CClement

where are you/your dealership located?