G Class (W465/W463A) W463 Produced 2019-2024: G550, G63 AMG W465 Produced 2025-

Shipping Nightmare

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2021 | 03:14 PM

2018 Porsche 911 GT3 2021 Mercedes G 63
Originally Posted by AC925
Oh interesting, I was avoiding calling my insurance company until I spoke to them. This wont negatively impact my personal policy/record? I know I’m not at fault, but can’t they raise rates for this? Thanks for the heads up!
Don’t file a claim with your insurance company, it will go against you as a claim. You can ask your agent for advice, but don’t file a claim. The transport company has insurance for this. I would want it replaced. Years ago, I had Passport Transport damage my windshield and they paid to have it replaced with factory glass.
Old 08-29-2021 | 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by Craig B
Don’t file a claim with your insurance company, it will go against you as a claim. You can ask your agent for advice, but don’t file a claim. The transport company has insurance for this. I would want it replaced. Years ago, I had Passport Transport damage my windshield and they paid to have it replaced with factory glass.
Here's even better advice -- don't carry insurance. It's just an unnecessary expense that you'll never want to use for fear that your rates will go up.
Old 08-29-2021 | 03:57 PM

2018 Porsche 911 GT3 2021 Mercedes G 63
Originally Posted by streborx
Here's even better advice -- don't carry insurance. It's just an unnecessary expense that you'll never want to use for fear that your rates will go up.
I carry the highest deductible, trust me, the insurance company isn’t your friend. It’s not his fault, why notify his insurance company?
Old 08-29-2021 | 04:17 PM

G-Class
His insurance company should not pay for a damage caused by the transport company.

Find a high end shop, get a quote for a fix, have the transport company insurance pay up.

As many said, do not report to your insurance as it will lower your cars value dramatically since it will be reported.
Old 08-29-2021 | 04:19 PM

'19 G63 Ed 1,'18 M5, '16 G63,'12 458 , '11 E63, Brabus SL55-K8, '10 S63, '94 E500 "Wolf", '91 560SEC
Reiterating what has already been said, a good PDR guy could make it look near perfect and most won't notice the minor paint damage if there is any.
Old 08-29-2021 | 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by BenzCali
As many said, do not report to your insurance as it will lower your cars value dramatically since it will be reported.
Let's get real -- this owner's insurance company is going to be notified about any claim related to this vehicle, Carfax or not, as the transport company's insurer will do this. This is how the insurance industry prevents double dipping claims. All the insurance companies (as well as all the DMVs and law enforcement agencies) share information. I changed auto insurers about a year and a half ago. I gave the new insurer-to-be my name and SS#, and the representative instantly had all my information from my current insurer on her terminal in a matter of seconds -- all my vehicles, my coverage, my driving record, etc. I winter-store one of my vehicles and suspend insurance coverage on it during this time. I reactivate coverage a couple weeks before the registration renewal, and the DMV clerk knows all this (and who my insurer is) when I pick up the stickers. Anyone who believes he/she can conceal this sort of information in today's world of digitized records and shared databases is naive.
Old 08-29-2021 | 06:04 PM

G550
Let's get real -- this owner's insurance company is going to be notified about any claim related to this vehicle, Carfax or not, as the transport company's insurer will do this. This is how the insurance industry prevents double dipping claims. All the insurance companies (as well as all the DMVs and law enforcement agencies) share information. I changed auto insurers about a year and a half ago. I gave the new insurer-to-be my name and SS#, and the representative instantly had all my information from my current insurer on her terminal in a matter of seconds -- all my vehicles, my coverage, my driving record, etc. I winter-store one of my vehicles and suspend insurance coverage on it during this time. I reactivate coverage a couple weeks before the registration renewal, and the DMV clerk knows all this (and who my insurer is) when I pick up the stickers. Anyone who believes he/she can conceal this sort of information in today's world of digitized records and shared databases is naive.
This is true. All insurance companies use a 3rd party company called LexisNexis to obtain driver and vehicle history and any claims against a vehicle are then tied to the owner even if you did not file the claim yourself. This is then used to calculate your "risk score" which insurers use to determine your rate.
Old 08-29-2021 | 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 G63
This can get a little ridiculous to think but you may get lucky - maybe the transporter company doesn't want a $250k claim on their insurance, so maybe they cut you a check off the books for a $10k repair or whatever it is to make the problem go away. I'd leave any mention of litigation in your back pocket and pull it out only in case of emergency.

Say the two solutions you are okay with (if that's true--maybe you only want a replacement at this point) are either full replacement/market value or a repair off the books so you don't have diminished value on such an expensive vehicle.

Had something similar with my wife's old van - while parked at the elementary school, a classmate's mother hit the rear bumper corner coming out of their space. Fortunately they were good people and left a note. I got a quote and they ended up cutting me a $5,000 check to keep it off their insurance. I paid cash at the body shop so it stayed off the Carfax. Win-win.
Old 08-30-2021 | 04:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by Hodog16
Had something similar with my wife's old van - while parked at the elementary school, a classmate's mother hit the rear bumper corner coming out of their space. Fortunately they were good people and left a note. I got a quote and they ended up cutting me a $5,000 check to keep it off their insurance. I paid cash at the body shop so it stayed off the Carfax. Win-win.
Maybe win-win to both parties as far as they are concerned, but illegal. Every state has laws that set circumstances and time intervals for reporting accidents and when law enforcement must be summoned to the scene.. Most states set property damage at $1K, but some are higher, and some are lower. You can find yourself in a jam if the other party changes her mind and reports the accident and you haven't. I trust no one, and I am not willing to break the law so that someone else can dodge a traffic ticket or avoid an accident on her record. Someone willing to pay $5K out of pocket to avoid an accident report is hiding something, like driving without insurance or without an operator's license, or is DUI. You don't want to become a co-conspirator in any such situation.
Old 08-30-2021 | 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 G63
I don’t think it was that nefarious. It was a parent of my son’s classmate who I knew. The fact they left a note shows how honest they were.

I don’t know if the police needed to be involved in a simple fender bender in the parking lot between people who know each other. However if I witnessed it and it was a stranger that I couldn’t trust then that’s a different story.

Like if somebody’s family member hits a car in their driveway do they need to file a police report or just get the cars fixed?
Old 08-30-2021 | 09:12 AM

G550
I don’t think it was that nefarious. It was a parent of my son’s classmate who I knew. The fact they left a note shows how honest they were.

I don’t know if the police needed to be involved in a simple fender bender in the parking lot between people who know each other. However if I witnessed it and it was a stranger that I couldn’t trust then that’s a different story.

Like if somebody’s family member hits a car in their driveway do they need to file a police report or just get the cars fixed?
There is absolutely nothing wrong with you arranging a fix and out of pocket payment between two parties. This isn't illegal and you don't have to notify your insurance company or the police. Now trying to convince the body shop to "keep it off the books" is a different story...
Old 08-30-2021 | 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by tonygwagon
There is absolutely nothing wrong with you arranging a fix and out of pocket payment between two parties. This isn't illegal and you don't have to notify your insurance company or the police. Now trying to convince the body shop to "keep it off the books" is a different story...
Au contraire - please review https://www.enjuris.com/car-accident...uirements.html for accident reporting requirements in your state of residency.
Old 08-30-2021 | 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No more MB:(
Au contraire - please review https://www.enjuris.com/car-accident...uirements.html for accident reporting requirements in your state of residency.
Interesting. I wonder how many people actually follow this. I can't imagine anything more inefficient than to summons LE over a $500 fender bender.
Old 08-30-2021 | 09:59 AM

G550
Obviously if there is a death or injury you have to report it... Lol
Old 08-30-2021 | 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550

These laws might seem at first to interfere with the rights of two parties to freely negotiate a contract (e.g., a settlement). But in reality it's too easy for one party to exploit the other with an inadequate settlement offer and/or evade culpability, and so are intended to protect everyone's interests. Summoning a law enforcement officer, trained in accident investigation, will protect the interests of both parties. Otherwise it becomes a "them versus me" matter, without any qualified neutral party's assessment. Someone creases your bumper and peels $500 off a wad of bills, urging you to settle on the spot and drive away. You later find out the repair costs are much higher. Then what?
I'm not a lawyer, but IMO if you drive your own car through your own garage door and smash another of your own cars parked inside, you can do whatever you wish. Beyond that, regardless of venue, reporting the accident is mandatory when the damage threshold is met (to a vehicle or property), when an injury occurs, or when there are drugs/alcohol involved.
If you are the party who pays off the other to go away (probobly not a legally binding contract), and you later receive a court summons, things will not go well for you in front of the judge, no matter your lawyer's hourly rate.
Old 08-30-2021 | 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by places
Interesting. I wonder how many people actually follow this. I can't imagine anything more inefficient than to summons LE over a $500 fender bender.
This is part of what LE officers are trained and paid to do (with your tax dollars). Here in Colorado, during winter storms when fender-benders become rampant, LE invokes "accident alert" conditions where fender-benders are exempt for LE summoning, but still must be reported ASAP thereafter. Drivers exchange information -- license ID's, registration and insurance info -- are encouraged to take photos, and then move on. Some circumstances negate this exemption, such as intersection blocking, unlicensed operators, injuries, pedestrians, etc. Most cities of moderate size have special "accident investigation" units that are specifically equipped and deployed to deal with what's become an unavoidable life's event. Trying to circumvent the system, thinking that you're clever enough to get away with it, will usually come back to bite you in the a$$.
Old 08-30-2021 | 04:34 PM

2021 G63
Update:

Spoke with the carrier this morning. I’m going to a shop of my choice to get it fixed and they’re going to pay cash, I have it in writing.

We are not involving insurance, said it shouldn’t come close to their deductible.

Looking forward to getting back onto the road with this whole fiasco behind me.
The following users liked this post:
tonygwagon (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021 | 04:42 PM

G63
Bravo
Old 08-30-2021 | 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Update:

Spoke with the carrier this morning. I’m going to a shop of my choice to get it fixed and they’re going to pay cash, I have it in writing.

We are not involving insurance, said it shouldn’t come close to their deductible.

Looking forward to getting back onto the road with this whole fiasco behind me.
I wish you the best and hope the repairs get done quickly and perfectly. Your original post generated some interesting and informative discussion -- thanks for that!
Old 08-30-2021 | 05:19 PM

2021 G63
I wish you the best and hope the repairs get done quickly and perfectly. Your original post generated some interesting and informative discussion -- thanks for that!
Thanks! And yeah, I’m still pretty green in this field (and hope to stay that way), but interesting takes on how to fix damage like this.
Old 08-30-2021 | 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Thanks! And yeah, I’m still pretty green in this field (and hope to stay that way), but interesting takes on how to fix damage like this.
Be sure to post a set of before and after pics.
Old 08-30-2021 | 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 G63
Yes has been a good discussion and glad to hear you have a proper resolution in place!
Old 08-30-2021 | 10:14 PM

mclaren 720s
great update… was there a police report? wondering if it will show on carfax etc since you arent going through insurance… my only concern would be diminished value… any accident can impact your cars value… they should do more than fix the car… especially since you are doing them a favor and not going through insurance… they should do more
Old 08-31-2021 | 12:11 PM

2021 G63
Originally Posted by spourreza
great update… was there a police report? wondering if it will show on carfax etc since you arent going through insurance… my only concern would be diminished value… any accident can impact your cars value… they should do more than fix the car… especially since you are doing them a favor and not going through insurance… they should do more
No police report as there was no accident or other party involved, they damaged the vehicle inside their trailer. I was told there will be nothing on the VIN/Autocheck/CarFax.

They’re adding an exterior/interior detail as the first driver didnt put down a seat cover and stained the platinum white leather already.

Assuming the dent pops and roof re-paint come out well, I just want to move on. Not trying to nickel or dime them, I just want to enjoy the new rig
Old 08-31-2021 | 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 G63
Yeah I agree if they are making you whole and it’s not going to diminish value I think that’s enough.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Shipping Nightmare