G Class (W465/W463A) W463 Produced 2019-2024: G550, G63 AMG W465 Produced 2025-

Shipping Nightmare

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2021 | 11:45 PM

2021 G63
Shipping Nightmare

Well, my worst nightmare came true, my brand new G63 had the roof crushed during transit. I used what I thought was a reputable carrier (recommended in here and lots of other forums), it was enclosed, and they didn’t even call me when it happened.

It showed up and the second team to take the car let me know it was smashed on the first leg.

My question is this until I hear back from them on Monday - can I ask for a new vehicle?

The driver mentioned depending on the state they may need to replace the entire vehicle. Replacing the roof (if even possible) is going to tank my resale….

Anyone been through this awful process? Should I get an attorney?
Old 08-29-2021 | 12:39 AM

e92 ///M3
It was damaged after you took delivery or it was damaged on the way to the selling dealership?
Old 08-29-2021 | 12:45 AM

2021 G63
Originally Posted by Poofyo101
It was damaged after you took delivery or it was damaged on the way to the selling dealership?
Oregon resident, purchased the vehicle from an Ohio dealership.

Transport company picked up the vehicle in new condition at the dealership in Ohio, and damaged it while it was in their enclosed trailer on the way to my house in Oregon.

Driver’s of second leg said it was damaged when they loaded it in for the second leg (funny considering I was told it would stay in same truck w same driver).

Old 08-29-2021 | 12:48 AM

e92 ///M3
good luck
Old 08-29-2021 | 01:13 AM

G-Class
I got annoyed that my G63 had oil on top of hood from the car parked above in transit. I would be pissed if they messed up my ride. Do you have any photos?

Originally Posted by AC925
Well, my worst nightmare came true, my brand new G63 had the roof crushed during transit. I used what I thought was a reputable carrier (recommended in here and lots of other forums), it was enclosed, and they didn’t even call me when it happened.

It showed up and the second team to take the car let me know it was smashed on the first leg.

My question is this until I hear back from them on Monday - can I ask for a new vehicle?

The driver mentioned depending on the state they may need to replace the entire vehicle. Replacing the roof (if even possible) is going to tank my resale….

Anyone been through this awful process? Should I get an attorney?
Old 08-29-2021 | 07:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Hopefully you didn't sign the manifest and accept delivery - if you did, call your attorney. Otherwise, the shipper is responsible for damages - repair or replacement. Did you take photos? Is the damage superficial (sheetmetal & paint) or did the frame get damaged? Is the paint one of the custom upgrades or standard? If a body shop can pull the dent and repaint it, I wouldn't worry about the impact on resale value. I'm 6'2" but still can't tell if a bird has pooped on my roof.
Old 08-29-2021 | 07:31 AM

G63
I had a car get damaged in transit, was a pain but I got paid to fix it....not a new car...not diminished value. It was a 2010 GT3RS, back in 2010. I fixed it without carfax, never could tell, made my stomach turn. I don't ship anymore...I drive across the country if I have to, avoid shipping...

hard part is, hos do you get a replacement. I doubt a shippers insurance will pat ADM for a new one...if you can find one
Old 08-29-2021 | 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by Izzone
I don't ship anymore...I drive across the country if I have to, avoid shipping...
Totally agree! Delivery companies hire morons who seem to take pride in and get pleasure from damaging merchandise. A premium grade appliance delivered to an upscale home in a gated comunity arrives with a forklft puncture in its front. I don't think this is always accidental. There's no excuse for damaging an automobile in transit. Those responsible aren't fired because hiring a replacement is impossible. This amounts to vandalism hiding behind the legitimacy of a delivery service.
Old 08-29-2021 | 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 G63
Sorry to hear about this! Unbelievable they didn’t call you when it happened.

I don’t know if this will work, but if I were in your shoes, I would ask the carrier and their insurance for full replacement or market value (and be ready to sue if they don’t agree) like $250k or so, take that check, and go buy another one. Proving value should be very easy with comps whether it’s auction data or asking the Ohio dealer for a statement of true market value. Did you pay any ADM to Ohio dealer? If so that makes it a easier to ask for more than MSRP. Let the insurance company take the vehicle and they can deal with that headache.

I wouldn’t be so excited about repairing a new vehicle with a smashed roof. A dent in the side or bumper maybe, but a roof?
Old 08-29-2021 | 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
With the uncertainty over the V8's future, when G production will resume, and in what reincarnation, I'd be inclined to attempt repairs unless there's structural damage or an issue with getting a paint match. Get the shipper to pay for repairs and seek the ADM amount as compensation for any loss in value. The shipper needs to be hit with a penalty for recklessness.
Old 08-29-2021 | 10:12 AM

2021 G63
Originally Posted by BenzCali
I got annoyed that my G63 had oil on top of hood from the car parked above in transit. I would be pissed if they messed up my ride. Do you have any photos?
Oh its looks like it wasn’t even in an enclosed trailer for the first leg, it’s covered in dirt and there are water spots everywhere. Pic below has the largest chunk of the 4 areas of roof damage, its about 11 inches long to the end of the crease. Three other areas got hit but I can’t seem to get more than one attachment in here. Will try another upload.

Old 08-29-2021 | 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No more MB:(
Oh its looks like it wasn’t even in an enclosed trailer for the first leg, it’s covered in dirt and there are water spots everywhere. Pic below has the largest chunk of the 4 areas of roof damage, its about 11 inches long to the end of the crease. Three other areas got hit but I can’t seem to get more than one attachment in here. Will try another upload.

This looks repairable. At first I thought crushed as in "crushed". They can fix this, but value might be diminished. Good luck. Looks like a paperwork nightmare.
Old 08-29-2021 | 10:20 AM

2021 G63
Originally Posted by streborx
Hopefully you didn't sign the manifest and accept delivery - if you did, call your attorney. Otherwise, the shipper is responsible for damages - repair or replacement. Did you take photos? Is the damage superficial (sheetmetal & paint) or did the frame get damaged? Is the paint one of the custom upgrades or standard? If a body shop can pull the dent and repaint it, I wouldn't worry about the impact on resale value. I'm 6'2" but still can't tell if a bird has pooped on my roof.
- I did sign the manifest after they unloaded it, but we did take extensive pictures and the delivery receipt explicitly notes that there is damage to the vehicle prior to my delivery.
- Not sure if it’s structural yet, tried to get it looked at yesterday but the dealership was closed.
- Paint is the GMFK Arabian Gray, so its special order
- Regarding repair and resale, can you even replace the G’s roof? It’s a single panel no? There are 4 sections of damage, I don’t know how they’d repair all of them without taking the roof off…
Old 08-29-2021 | 10:24 AM

2021 G63
I had a car get damaged in transit, was a pain but I got paid to fix it....not a new car...not diminished value. It was a 2010 GT3RS, back in 2010. I fixed it without carfax, never could tell, made my stomach turn. I don't ship anymore...I drive across the country if I have to, avoid shipping...

hard part is, hos do you get a replacement. I doubt a shippers insurance will pat ADM for a new one...if you can find one
So they just paid you in cash to get if fixed - and that circumvented the need for a diminished repair adjustment because the damage isn’t in any database? And yes, my main concern is that they wont’t pay fair market value to get one of the few remaining ones that dealerships have on the lots, if the roof in fact can’t be fixed.
Old 08-29-2021 | 10:28 AM

2021 G63
Originally Posted by Hodog16
Sorry to hear about this! Unbelievable they didn’t call you when it happened.

I don’t know if this will work, but if I were in your shoes, I would ask the carrier and their insurance for full replacement or market value (and be ready to sue if they don’t agree) like $250k or so, take that check, and go buy another one. Proving value should be very easy with comps whether it’s auction data or asking the Ohio dealer for a statement of true market value. Did you pay any ADM to Ohio dealer? If so that makes it a easier to ask for more than MSRP. Let the insurance company take the vehicle and they can deal with that headache.

I wouldn’t be so excited about repairing a new vehicle with a smashed roof. A dent in the side or bumper maybe, but a roof?
- This is the route I plan to take, asking for a new one at current market rates. The driver of the second leg even mentioned that I should ask for a new vehicle vs a repair. He mentioned it varies depending on the state if they do that?
- Yes, I did pay an ADM to the Ohio dealership, its documented in all of the original paperwork, so my OTD price has that included.
The following users liked this post:
Hodog16 (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021 | 10:43 AM

2021 G63
Originally Posted by places
This looks repairable. At first I thought crushed as in "crushed". They can fix this, but value might be diminished. Good luck. Looks like a paperwork nightmare.
Yeah there are 3 other locations along the front like this though, its not minor damage for supposedly being secured inside an enclosed trailer the entire time. And I dont want to deal with exactly what you mentioned - an administrative nightmare that takes months to resolve. I dont think its unreasonable to have them (or their insurance company) buy the car back as is, and then they give me cash to buy a new one. I talk to them first thing tomorrow.
Old 08-29-2021 | 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
That's not worth trashing the vehicle over -- I've seen hail damage much worse that's been hammered out. A skilled body craftsman can make that dent disappear, but I'd still seek repair costs + damages. Good you fully documented damage and noted such on manifest. If it still bothers you, there are others willing to take it off your hands.
Old 08-29-2021 | 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Yeah there are 3 other locations along the front like this though, its not minor damage for supposedly being secured inside an enclosed trailer the entire time. And I dont want to deal with exactly what you mentioned - an administrative nightmare that takes months to resolve. I dont think its unreasonable to have them (or their insurance company) buy the car back as is, and then they give me cash to buy a new one. I talk to them first thing tomorrow.
Check with your own insurance company to see if they'll cover the damage and then go after the transport carrier to subrogate the claim. This might expedite repairs if you decide to go this route.
Old 08-29-2021 | 10:55 AM

2021 G63
Check with your own insurance company to see if they'll cover the damage and then go after the transport carrier to subrogate the claim. This might expedite repairs if you decide to go this route.
Oh interesting, I was avoiding calling my insurance company until I spoke to them. This wont negatively impact my personal policy/record? I know I’m not at fault, but can’t they raise rates for this? Thanks for the heads up!
Old 08-29-2021 | 11:21 AM

G63
So they just paid you in cash to get if fixed - and that circumvented the need for a diminished repair adjustment because the damage isn’t in any database? And yes, my main concern is that they wont’t pay fair market value to get one of the few remaining ones that dealerships have on the lots, if the roof in fact can’t be fixed.
I fixed it outside of their insurance....I didn't get a dime from them. I went to a high end body shop and paid cash...no carfax....no diminished value

Me personally I only report to insurance if it is a major loss / damage, I carry the highest deductible I can on a car and pay out of pocket to fix

The hassle of selling a high end car with a carfax ding is not worth the hassle to me

Paintless dent removal and a good air brush guy can do miracles to damage.....I had a range rover years ago get the entire truck swiped down the side with dents, so bad it bent the window mechanisms. Paintelss dent removal, air brush / traded it in without a car fax

Any used car, a carfax is only good if reported. Hence I buy new, do not want to assume someone else problems

As far as your damage, it doesn't look bad. I would not report it and pay myself to get it fixed...maybe negotiate some money with the shipper if you can get it without it reporting against your car....fix it and move on. If it drives you crazy trade it for a different one and take a few K loss
Old 08-29-2021 | 11:24 AM

G63
Do not do this....you will put a diminished value mark on the truck

Goto a high end body shop and see the cost to fix paying out of pocket
The following users liked this post:
abhatti55 (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021 | 11:34 AM

2021 G63
Do not do this....you will put a diminished value mark on the truck

Goto a high end body shop and see the cost to fix paying out of pocket
And then just have the carrier pay the shop for the damages?
Old 08-29-2021 | 11:44 AM

G63
And then just have the carrier pay the shop for the damages?
I would separate who pays the shop

Handle the damages yourself, tell the shop cash no carfax

Then negotiate with the carrier on a settlement

You probably have no chance of them buying the car from you

Did you pay ADM?
Old 08-29-2021 | 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 G63
That's a decent second option too - figure out how much to fix with cash + price paid and see if you still may make it out okay to sell or trade if you don't like the thought of driving something damaged--then try to get into another one. Have the transporter reimburse you this cost to make sure you control how the body shop reports it.

It'll cost a bit more but then peace of mind. Probably would have to get one with different options or color to make up some excuse why, otherwise the selling dealer may get suspicious on why you would do such a trade and throw a paint meter on or something. Or maybe I just have an active imagination!

I agree I would avoid making any claims on auto insurance regardless of whose fault it is for any vehicle unless it's a catastrophic repair.
Old 08-29-2021 | 12:48 PM

P cars
Agree with the paintless dent removal and air brush recommendation above. Do this and live with it or trade it for something else.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Shipping Nightmare