G Class (W465/W463A) W463 Produced 2019-2024: G550, G63 AMG W465 Produced 2025-

Night Package Headlight Swap Feasible?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2022 | 03:23 PM

G
Night Package Headlight Swap Feasible?

Here is the big question. How hard is it to swap the headlights, front/rear turn indicators, mirror reflectors, etc.?

For context, my G did not come with night package, and it is a look I want. I went for the car I have because it was extremely low miles, an OK price relative in this market and it had the interior I wanted which was important to me. Night is the only thing that was missing and since I planned to do some additional mods (different side strips and emblems, rear exposed tire carrier, etc.), I didn’t think it a big deal at the time. Also, the dealer gave me a credit to do some of these changes, so it felt it was fair.

BUT what I did not know at time how expensive the headlights were at $3600ea. The turn indicators are more reasonable at $5-600 pair, same for rears and mirror reflectors are less than $200.

I have swallowed the cost aspect, but want to know about is the install process. Is it difficult to remove replace headlights/indicators, etc.? I was hoping it was an easy swap like pre-2018, but as I look into it, I think I may be in for more than what I am willing to do personally if it gets into removing body panels, etc. Thoughts?

So, I am thinking I use my dealer credit to have the dealer install the headlights or anything else difficult… I can take on the trim changes, etc. Other option is not doing the front lights, maybe just indicators and mirrors, if those are more DIY.

Would love a realistic take on the complexity of the install process. I am handy, but I don't want to take apart the front end of the car myself.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Old 01-31-2022 | 12:47 PM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

1999 E300TD
typical used car buyer, fall in love with a dog before even thinking about what is really required and then whine. Get a divorce and find a car that meets your spec. :Leave the costly wanabes to some other sap
Old 01-31-2022 | 02:17 PM

G
Originally Posted by Plutoe
typical used car buyer, fall in love with a dog before even thinking about what is really required and then whine. Get a divorce and find a car that meets your spec. :Leave the costly wanabes to some other sap
Forum has been useful till this point.

Old 01-31-2022 | 02:41 PM

2020 G550
Originally Posted by Pst_pnk
Forum has been useful till this point.
Here's a video on removing the turn signals...pretty straight forward...

You'll see in the video, they have the headlight bezel out as well. But I've asked the forum the same question before and in order to get the headlight bezel off (which is needed to get the headllight out), you need to take off the front grille, the front bumper, and the wheel well liners. Taking off wheel well liners gets you access to some of the bolts needed to take off the front bumper, removing the front bumper gives you access the the screws holding the light bezels.

The following users liked this post:
Pst_pnk (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022 | 02:52 PM

G
Originally Posted by WillinMA
Here's a video on removing the turn signals...pretty straight forward...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3OaN5lKPMw

You'll see in the video, they have the headlight bezel out as well. But I've asked the forum the same question before and in order to get the headlight bezel off (which is needed to get the headllight out), you need to take off the front grille, the front bumper, and the wheel well liners. Taking off wheel well liners gets you access to some of the bolts needed to take off the front bumper, removing the front bumper gives you access the the screws holding the light bezels.
Super helpful, appreciate that info. Will likely have dealer do that (if I move forward w headlights) and do the rest myself. Thanks again.

Old 02-04-2022 | 02:27 PM

G
Does anyone have insight into the rear tail light swap? Parts are only $5-600.
Curious how difficult it is to swap those out.
I cant see any exposed screws, etc,... so either they just pry off, or it is a big job that has to be done with removing the interior cargo area, etc.
Anyone know or has done this? Would love insight and a gauge on this part of the project.
Thanks.
Old 02-08-2022 | 06:41 PM

G
Taillight replacement

I can’t find any thing anywhere about replacing the taillights.

I guess I’m just gonna have to ask the service department how tough it is and to price it out, unless someone out there can chime in?

Loads of YouTube videos on pre-2019 but nothing for the new gen
Old 02-08-2022 | 11:40 PM

model 3
Originally Posted by Pst_pnk
I can’t find any thing anywhere about replacing the taillights.

I guess I’m just gonna have to ask the service department how tough it is and to price it out, unless someone out there can chime in?

Loads of YouTube videos on pre-2019 but nothing for the new gen
I heard it's very easy to change. Need to remove left and right parts of the cargo but that should be easy.
Old 02-09-2022 | 12:39 AM

G63
Have you tried pushing the lights to the left and then down. tail lights might still be like these