G Class (W465/W463A) W463 Produced 2019-2024: G550, G63 AMG W465 Produced 2025-

3rd Set Of Brake Rotors On '19 G63 ED1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2023 | 02:47 PM

2021 GT BS, 2019 G63 ED1, 2016 GTS
3rd Set Of Brake Rotors On '19 G63 ED1

After changing my rotors under warranty twice in the past 2 years (front wheels would begin rattling braking from 40 mph to stop) I had to take it in again for the same condition. MBZ just came back and asked if my daughter or someone else has been driving the vehcile to which I said no. They are now asking me to pay for half the costs to replace them a 3rd time. The car has 42,295 miles on it now and has been drivien under normal driving conditions or nothing like Dakar to Paris. Has anybody else run into this or know of any recalls or company notices regarding problematic rotors? I do not understand how "driver error" could cause something like this or how it can be anything other than a factory issue in the fabrication/design or the rotors. Any help is most appreciated.
Old 05-12-2023 | 10:16 PM

2019 G63 E1; 2017 G550 4x4^2; 2016 G63
I’m on set three for my ED1 but at 69k. The price for them is offensive.
Old 05-13-2023 | 08:36 AM

G63, G65
Originally Posted by fuel007one
After changing my rotors under warranty twice in the past 2 years (front wheels would begin rattling braking from 40 mph to stop) I had to take it in again for the same condition. MBZ just came back and asked if my daughter or someone else has been driving the vehcile to which I said no. They are now asking me to pay for half the costs to replace them a 3rd time. The car has 42,295 miles on it now and has been drivien under normal driving conditions or nothing like Dakar to Paris. Has anybody else run into this or know of any recalls or company notices regarding problematic rotors? I do not understand how "driver error" could cause something like this or how it can be anything other than a factory issue in the fabrication/design or the rotors. Any help is most appreciated.
I'd ask them to explain what type of driving would make the rotors develop that issue in such short time. Even if you drove with a foot on the brake constantly I wouldn't think it would cause this condition. It might make them wear faster, but warping them the point that they cause rattling at braking doesn't seem likely. Maybe I'm wrong.

If you need a good independent shop to replace them shoot me a DM. His place isn't fancy, but he has worked on my G Wagons for the past 17 or so years. He can probably do it for quite a bit cheaper than the MB dealers around here.
Old 05-13-2023 | 11:39 AM

Thanks so much for getting back. Should this continue I can only think a permanent fix is to find a replacement set that can handle higher temps than the dysfunctional design of these rotors (not dissimilar to messed up head unit, MBUX, etc) that Mercedes' design engineers completely screwed up in not matching the weight/power of the vehicle with the alloy composition of the rotors. One would think in the overall upgrade of the unit after 50 years this would have been caught in the design parameters of the overhaul. I have not gone off brand in 30 years with MBZ but did just that 2 weeks ago buying 2 Porsches due to headaches like this and constant tranny problems on my GTS. Sad but one could posit that the brand has too much on their plates with the 188 varieties of EV's, hybrids, and other vehicles to simply support an ICE vehicle and its components.
Old 05-13-2023 | 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 G63
Is it true a brake job is over $10k? Aside from taking advantage of the market, that's a big reason why I trade in so frequently.
Old 05-15-2023 | 10:14 AM

993 TT
MB just quoted me 8.5k for full brake and rotor set on my 2019. Taking it to independent shop to do same job for 6.5k. This would be the third set after original factory set, 1 warranty replacement, and now they are saying good luck. 27k milies. Dealer offered me a 2024 for 25k over msrp delivered later this year. I'n considering that option just to step up and get warranty. I was quoted 10K for extended warranty which is up in July so it sort of feels like 15k over MSRP if you are using advanced "G Math". Anyone interested in a pre-trade sale? :-)
Old 05-15-2023 | 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by drew138
MB just quoted me 8.5k for full brake and rotor set on my 2019. Taking it to independent shop to do same job for 6.5k. This would be the third set after original factory set, 1 warranty replacement, and now they are saying good luck. 27k milies. Dealer offered me a 2024 for 25k over msrp delivered later this year. I'n considering that option just to step up and get warranty. I was quoted 10K for extended warranty which is up in July so it sort of feels like 15k over MSRP if you are using advanced "G Math". Anyone interested in a pre-trade sale? :-)
I am 100% convinced that the rotors on these vehicles are defective and defective in design. MBZ offered to pay half of what will be a $6k replacement for the fronts only. My second set was out of warranty which is 1 year or 12k miles. Also asked them that if I replace them with an independent shop for 65% of the cost from MBZ and do it with OEM parts will that kill the extended warranty on the vehicle to which they said no.
Asking here for anyone who has had to replace multiple sets of rotors on these post-NEW-DESIGN G wagons from MY 2019 to present to please let me know if a recall should be in order.

Thanks
Old 05-17-2023 | 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by ThreeGs
I’m on set three for my ED1 but at 69k. The price for them is offensive.
So this turns out to be my 3rd replacement/4th set with 40k miles on the vehicle. I wound up paying half the costs for this. At this juncture I am going to go thru their regional rep like s*&t through a goose first vis a vis Georgia Customer service and then, if necessary with a recall request via NTSB. Warped rotors? Safety hazard. They may not have thought of it that way but they are about to big time. They don't like replacing faulty alloy rotors for me? Try replacing them for thousands. If anyone has a direct email address for the current VP of MBZ Customer Care in Georgia and/or VP of Customer Relations it would be a great help as I begin to fashion the onslaught of emails that are about to fly.

Thanks All
Old 05-20-2023 | 03:52 PM

e63s or amg gt 4door
So this turns out to be my 3rd replacement/4th set with 40k miles on the vehicle. I wound up paying half the costs for this. At this juncture I am going to go thru their regional rep like s*&t through a goose first vis a vis Georgia Customer service and then, if necessary with a recall request via NTSB. Warped rotors? Safety hazard. They may not have thought of it that way but they are about to big time. They don't like replacing faulty alloy rotors for me? Try replacing them for thousands. If anyone has a direct email address for the current VP of MBZ Customer Care in Georgia and/or VP of Customer Relations it would be a great help as I begin to fashion the onslaught of emails that are about to fly.

Thanks All
looks like they just changed the head of customer services:

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...g%20department.
Old 05-30-2023 | 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550

Thanks All
Being in high humidity Houston, do you change the brake fluid regularly, or has this been part of the rotor/pad replacement the dealer has done? Brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs water), and if you have excessive moisture in the fluid, this might be affecting the caliper movement. Is your fuel economy also at the low end of expected values? If you have access to a dynamometer that would allow the wheels to spin with the vehicle stationary, you could check the temperature of the rotors to see if they're heating during non-braking.